Quantcast

Ford ends production of the Excursion

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
dan-o said:
A good example of the image selling you speak of is the VW Toureg. They ran an ad showing one towing a 30ft Airstream trailer. After someone bought one for that exact purpose, and made VW buy the vehicle back because it couldn't handle the load, they pulled the ads and admitted to exaggerating the capacity.
The V10 Turbo Diesel Touareg almost could (probably the chassis is what prevents it), but it costs $60K. It gets 17/23mpg, has 553 ft-lbs of torque, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, and 7716 lbs. max towing... I don't think you'll find any other mid-size SUV with that kind of engine. Certainly not from Ford...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
Just so you know about the tax break on large SUV's, you have to pay it back when you sell the vehicle.
:confused: how is that? i thought that it was based on depreciation of the car, and the original plan accelerated the depreciation to something crazy like all in the 1st year. you have a link?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
syadasti said:
Most cargo companies don't use pickup trucks for their smaller trucks, they use dodge/freightliner sprinter diesel vans - mercedes vans in Europe. They get about 25 mpg in the city (same as most mid-sized gasoline sedans) and only need an oil change every 10000 mi.

Those Sprinters are great. I used them alot for tradeshows in europe and my buddy is getting one for his counter-top business here. Handle like crap and dog slow but they do get the job done. $30+ grand though for a stripped version, $40k+ for anything remotely comfortable or people ready - ouch.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
syadasti said:
The V10 Turbo Diesel Touareg almost could (probably the chassis is what prevents it), but it costs $60K. It gets 17/23mpg, has 553 ft-lbs of torque and 7716 lbs. max towing... I don't think you'll find any other mid-size SUV with that kind of engine. Certainly not from Ford...
Yeah, those are beasts but I think the frame is the weak link. I won't even begin to defend Ford, my family blood (even with great discounts) hasn't resulted in a ford in my driveway yet.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
That Freightliner has a great engine but the rest of it is build like crap......they're made right down the street from me. But it's a cool looking vehicle

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Toshi said:
so the odyssey can't tow a boat, and doesn't have 4wd. in exchange you get 10 more mpg on the highway and more room inside than even the suburban-sized variant.

Plus, all the hot women will want ya because you will be totaly cool in your mini-van...

:p

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
:confused: how is that? i thought that it was based on depreciation of the car, and the original plan accelerated the depreciation to something crazy like all in the 1st year. you have a link?
I'm going by what my accountant said, he told me it wasn't worth it in the long run, it maybe different if you lease, I buy all my cars.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
zod said:
That Freightliner has a great engine but the rest of it is build like crap......they're made right down the street from me. But it's a cool looking vehicle
Specifically, Sprinters are made in Germany by Mercedes. Sprinters come to US as knockdown units and are assembled in South Carolina where you live.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I say big SUV's for all! The quicker we burn up all this oil the quicker the middle east goes back to herding camels and goats and we get on with alternate energy sources. It'll also do away with those pesky winters.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dan-o said:
that's why VW can't sell TDI engines in CA, MA, NY, ME - they don't pass the emissions requirements. Ironically, these big bad trucks pass.
As far as California, that is a stunning load of crap.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
somehow, this thread has retained the 1:10 (post:read) ratio. which, for the unknowing, is the cool-thread ratio.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
syadasti said:
Specifically, Sprinters are made in Germany by Mercedes. Sprinters come to US as knockdown units and are assembled in South Carolina where you live.

That's right. I'm in NC btw. I have heard that Freightliner saves $ by using a chassis that is not standard to the Mercedes build and that is where a lot of the "crap" factor comes into play. Don't know about the validity to that however..

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Hey so I heard Ford decided not to produce the Excursion anymore.
Really? Finally. I am SO sick of latte sipping soccer moms who never go off-road burning up the ozone to feed their Madison Ave-owned egos when a diesel or hybrid AWD minivan would do the job better and without taxation inequality.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
dan-o said:
Really? Finally. I am SO sick of latte sipping soccer moms who never go off-road burning up the ozone to feed their Madison Ave-owned egos when a diesel or hybrid AWD minivan would do the job better and without taxation inequality.
It's ICED Mocha CHinos! Get with the program :nope:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My dad just retired and bought a Limited Excursion w/ a diesel to tow his 32 foot bumper pull travel trailor. Both him and my mom have started to travel in that thing now that she is retired. In addition, that thing make one kick arse hunting vehicle. Its 4x4, can haul 4-5 hunters and all the equipment that goes with.

I own a F250 w/ a diesel without 4x4. I haul the tractor and bobcat to the MTNx track for improvements and upkeep, I pull our boat, and I pick up needy friends vehicles when they break down (just ask JeremyR ;) ).

Do we have the right to own such vehicles?

BTW, I get 19-20 mpg in mine.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
They only stopped making the Excursion b/c it was not selling well........it's so freakin' big that even I think it's rediculous. However I am still of the belief that you have the right to buy whatever vehicle you want and don't have to justify that choice. I could probably get by with a smaller truck but I bought the one I wanted, if you don't like it I'll run over your hybrid :nuts:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
zod said:
They only stopped making the Excursion b/c it was not selling well........
They need to check out the parking lot in Cabelas in Mitchell, SD. I was there opening weekend of pheasant season and every 5th truck in the parking lot was an Excursion.

My wife used to have a Jetta TDI and getting 45 mpg was awesome, plus the car was zippy and fun to drive. But packing the dogs up, along with all the gear for a weekend trip to Pisgah goes much better in the Explorer. :eviltongu

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
profro said:
They need to check out the parking lot in Cabelas in Mitchell, SD. I was there opening weekend of pheasant season and every 5th truck in the parking lot was an Excursion.
Dude.......that's a statistical skew :p

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
stevew said:
So someone I know in California has a TDI engine in his Golf. It must be a figment of his imagination then.
That or something as simple as new emissions regulations coming into effect since your friend bought the car.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'm going by what my accountant said, he told me it wasn't worth it in the long run, it maybe different if you lease, I buy all my cars.
i'm no tax guy, but i doubt you can take a depreciation deduction on leased vehicle. you don't own it! i'd get a 2nd opinion if you want to pursue it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dan-o said:
:thumb: nice synopsis!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
I have NEVER bought a car basd on its mileage per gallon, I buy them by function for my needs.
well, you have a lot of money. as gas prices continue to increase, this will be an increasingly important part of an average car buyer's decision. take a look at the average european car. aside from some range rovers and the occasional x5, i hardly ever saw an SUV, and never a full-bed pickup truck. and that spans about 7 different countries i was in over the last 15 months or so.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
i'm no tax guy, but i doubt you can take a depreciation deduction on leased vehicle. you don't own it! i'd get a 2nd opinion if you want to pursue it.
No I'm not going to persue it, I'm able to write off other things and do want any other reasons to be audited.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
well, you have a lot of money. as gas prices continue to increase, this will be an increasingly important part of an average car buyer's decision. take a look at the average european car. aside from some range rovers and the occasional x5, i hardly ever saw an SUV, and never a full-bed pickup truck. and that spans about 7 different countries i was in over the last 15 months or so.
I wish I had a lot of money.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
can you fit yr denali in yr garage? our house is not that old (1983 i think) but we could barely fit the minivan. had about 1" clearance on the roof rails.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
can you fit yr denali in yr garage? our house is not that old (1983 i think) but we could barely fit the minivan. had about 1" clearance on the roof rails.
Yep, it fits no prob, it not the XL. Plus we have a roll up door which you gain about 8" more in heigth.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
narlus said:
if you need a certain vehicle to attract women, you've got bigger problems.
Actually, I have a coworker who won't date a guy unless she approves of his vehicle...seems a tad odd to me, but, hey, some girls are prissy status symbol chasers...others, like the ones on this website, just want a practical way to haul their bikes around ;).