Quantcast

Freeride bike?

budrock

Chimp
Oct 15, 2004
I am wanting to add a freeride bike to my growing number of bikes and i was wondering about which make to get. I already have a xc racer softail now i want somthing i can beat up and do some drops with and still be able to pedal up hill.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
A Bullit with a 5th element shock can be built up reasonably light for climbing and burly enough for freeriding. I have mine built up for downhill racing and can still ride it up hill.

Mike

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You need to be more specific about conditions and situation: where you are, what the trails are like, what kind of build you want and how much you want to spend. That will get you better recommendations.

That said, I would go with one of the old stand by designs. Bullits are awesome for almost any setup. Spec. Big hits and Kona Stinkys are also good bets. Be more specific and ride as many as you can to see what you like.

Aug 22, 2004
i have a Rocky Mt. Switch is can take some pretty brutal stuff and it climbs amazing. i have maxxis mobsters(stock) on it and i can shread up a hill faster than my friend on his xc race bike, maybe he is just weak, but i would seriously consider looking at them.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Bullit is the pimp ride. I had one and sold it because I have a short inseam. I like the Kona Stinky deluxe as well. It is a nice bike that you can pedal. The Bullit is cost effective and almost always gets the job done. I loved mine!!!!!!!!!!!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
If you have the $$$$ get a VP-free. This really is the go anywhere do anything bike. Mine pedals uphill with 0 pedal bob. I'll never buy anouther freeride bike.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
look in to a hardtail fr bike if you are on a budget and still want to climb a little. it is also teach you techquice that you can use on your xc bike. also if you biuld and hardtail right you can also take it djing urban and park riding. the only instance i wish i had a FS is on the DH courses but i prefer a hardtail in the FR park that i go to (both of which are at snowshoe WV, rocks and roots all over the place)

budrock

Chimp
Oct 15, 2004
to reply to JRogers post: I am currently in GA but i think i am going to be packing up my stuff and going to NC within a year or so. Most of the trails around town are xc type trails nothing really to do drops. But i am lookinf at getting into that kind of riding for some more fun.
I plan on spending up to 2k for the bike.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
for under 2K you should be looking exclusively at used equipment. Get a solid frame no more than 2 years old with a current generation shock (5th element, swinger, fox DHX or Push serviced Vanilla.) Look for a '02-'05 marzoochi bomber series or manitou sherman series, or a Fox Vanilla fork. The cool thing about Freeride bikes is you don't really want the most expensive drivetrain components (aside from cranks) because you'll smash the derailurs and shifters crashing, get deore, lx or xt level stuff. Get a good strong wheel, rhynolites, singletracks, d521/721's, and their tubeless equivalents seem to be pretty standard. If you do a lot of homework and search ebay regularly you should be able to find something that fits the bill.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would think a Heckler or Bullit would be a logical choice. I personally have a Jekyll 1000 for my FS XC racer and a K2 Disco Monkey for my freeride bike (5" front & rear), but I don't really do drops yet.

stevirey

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Portland,Or.
I got an old GT STS,which I love and will never part with.The Gt I-Drive Ruckus looks really cool.The Kona Stinky would be my next choice.If you really want to go $$ hard kore,Rocky Mountian or Ellsworth.Then again what the hell do I know?Read all the bike rags and talk to people that ride.

budrock said:
I am wanting to add a freeride bike to my growing number of bikes and i was wondering about which make to get. I already have a xc racer softail now i want somthing i can beat up and do some drops with and still be able to pedal up hill.
I have an Ironhorse SGS expert, they are great frames for a really reasonable price, and perfect for long rides with it's fsr link

Nick

Nov 12, 2004
build up a freeride hartail with a 5 inch fork and some relativly light wheels like single tracks. if u are just starting to freeride than that will teach you to be smooth. also they are relativly cheap and are great on the uphills

aznfreerdr08

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Concord, CA
if money is not an issue, get a foes fly. it is built to take big hits, but the curnutt shock helps make it one of the best climbers for its suspension.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
The best bike for the money right now is a Weyless 67. The frame is almost identical to a Bullit (both made in Taiwan) and the component package is incredible for under $1000 bucks. I know people are going to trash the 67 because it's Supergo's house brand, but check the reviews at mtbr.com and see what other people and magazine reviewers have to say.

ssabmud

Chimp
Dec 13, 2004
Late-model Heckler or Enduro are both sweet bikes. Both will p edal well and take a decent beating.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Kornphlake said:
for under 2K you should be looking exclusively at used equipment.
Bull Ca Ca.

Go here:
http://transitionbikes.com/

Dirtbag or Preston depending on how much travel you want. Frame can be had for under a G and you can buy direct from them. Then you've got a $1000 left over for componentry new or used.

OR

You can get the build kit from Transition and get the bikes complete for around $2000.

I'm not discounting used stuff because there's some good deals out there, but that's not your only option.

Attachments

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Try the Specialized Enduro Expert with the new Fox Fork 36. Or even the Enduro SX Trail with the 66R. Specialized completely redesigned the Enduro and I think it is great. It looks like its less prone to cracking when compared with the old one. Also take a look at the Cannondale Gemini. That can be one sweet ride it set up correctly.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
look at the vp-free or big hit. those r both really nice bikes (especially the vp-free)

Edit: Stinky and coiler are also nice bikes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
metallica1049 said:
build up a freeride hartail with a 5 inch fork and some relativly light wheels like single tracks. if u are just starting to freeride than that will teach you to be smooth. also they are relativly cheap and are great on the uphills
That is what I got for my first big hit bike, a 2001 Norco Torrent with a Z1 FR. Been a great trail/FR bike, for only $1200 in 2002.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
TheMontashu said:
I would check out the Gemini 2000
Or the Gemini 900, if it's your first freeride bike. I have one and loooove it. It did really well on the freeride trails (read: slippery and rooty!) at Snowshoe, WV, this past season.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
echo on the gemini. pound fer pound, one, if not THE strongest, pedalable FR bikes going. & 1.5" headtube!!! Mine's 35 pounds and laughs at me going off 5' docks to flat.

Dec 31, 2004
hardtails are the way to go if you want something to beat on but stil be able to go places they fine tune your riding style to so you will be a better rider when you get a full suspension bike to

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am currently trying to save up to build bullit. They are strong enough for extreme fr but light eough to be setup for xc. Cambria bicfycle outfitters has $1000. Sometimes, you can find them used for $500 on places like ebay.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
If youre looking to spend around 2k, you have quite a few great choices.

I think the SGS freeride, and Specialized Bighits offer a lot of bang for the buck and can be had brand new for about 1200-1500. Some like the Konas, but personally Im not a big fan of the way they pedal. Still a good bike for the money though.

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
you want a a freeride bike that you can pedal up hill.....a tall order. Santa cruz is the company your looking for. But the Vp-free is big in price however the bullit (as many people have and many have said before) is a great bike and one people have done XC and freeride on...... Ive heard SGS can be pretty resonable in the weight and price division as welll. I dunno im looking at a kona stinky dee-lux right now, but its not exactly a light bike.

you said you have a collection of freeride bikes thats always nice. lets get some pics :p

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Most important - be honest with yourself. What are you really going to use it for and how much bike does that require? It's quite possible that you simply need a set of stronger wheels - something in the Mavic 721 range. Or maybe adding a Fox Talas up front would do ya? If your just starting to go a little larger, you probably don't need a bike built for Armageddon. Something in the Enduro class would be far more practical than a Big Hit. If it's too big, you won't ever want to ride it - keep that in mind.

Edit: Forgot tires. Something as simple as fatter tires with stronger sidewalls can also make a world of difference. Of course, new bikes are always fun and being practical is dull. :p

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I have a Banshee Chaparral, and it's, IMHO, the best bike I've ever owned. Burly, yet an efficient peddaler. Rear travel can be set between 4-6", and is compatable with both and air and coil shock. My setup is at 38 lbs, which may be a little heavy for some, but damn if it doesn't feel solid when its under you. The main reason for purchacing this was for the versatility, which I think is the key to a good bike.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
You can get a new 04 Stinky for about a grand. Check your local Kona dealer. Smoking deal. I know, I just bought one and love it. Not much on the uphills, but great first big hit bike!

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
whoever said anything about the orange patriot is f**kin right! but prob a bit burloy for a early freerider, try a ht like a specialized P.3 or sc chamelon. Or buy a Specialized Enduro sx if u want a real pimpin bike!

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
gah, i want a bullit soo bad, but my trek liquid got stolen and i dont have much money to spend because im getting a car soon and i got a p.2. it pedals good, because its a hardtail, and its pretty strong, hopefully i can get more money soon and puit a sherman firefly on it
i would deftenatly go for a bullit, or a vp-free if you find one for cheap.