Quantcast

Getting a ****ty co-worker fired or make him quit?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Once again (I have said many times before here on this bulletin board) careers are 20th century inventions meant to enslave us into lives of consumerism. we are not evolutionary capable of these situations.
So there were no farmers, doctors, soldiers, carpenters, fishermen or lawyers before the 20th century?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
So I have a co-worker who was hired right around 3 months ago who started off good, then quickly turned into a lazy, rule bending, constantly eating, waste of space employee.

Usually, I would not care. But I work directly with/above him (since I have been with the company for almost a year now). So his lazy work ethics directly affect my work load. He takes EXTRA long breaks and has been warned about it from our boss. He also really doesn't ever get much work done unless someone is sitting behind him and making him work. He also loudly listens to music in our quiet office and blatantly watches youtube videos (laughing LOUD in the quiet office while smacking the desk, etc).

Hes a awful employee and I would be happy to take the extra work load if he left.

My boss is aware he blows it regularly and asked me to keep track of his "work schedule" while she is out of town for 3 weeks. Everyone on the team has a set schedule to work around each other. He doesn't stick to it at all.

Yesterday he only worked 5 hours in the 8 hour day with all of the breaks and extended lunch time he took with no excuse... Barely 5 hours.

This guy is blatantly breaking rules and annoying other employees. And its for sure gotten worse while the boss is out of town on business/vacation.

Give me some some honest/real ideas here. I want him out of here. I am tired of all the BS. I just don't know what to do...
Equipment: several bars of soap, towels, 2 large guys to hold co-worker down.

Two large guys hold co-worker down. fellow co-workers wrap bars of soap in towel and beat his @ss with them.

While he's crying, tell him that his soul is yours and he will get butt raped at night until he shapes up.

Not that I've EVER done this while in the Marine Corps, it seems to be effective in getting lazy people to at least stop being so lazy. Then again, this was done in the middle of the night, out in the bush on like day 33 of a field ops.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wait, so you're pissed his laziness causes some of his work load to be brought upon you, yet you're more than happy to have him get fired and take on all his work load?

Is there still a hammer to the head smiley?
Yep. If you worked with this guy you would understand. We could always hire someone else who probably has a much better work ethic. Honestly, he might as well not even be here at this point.

If only you knew.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Your coworker is probably posting on some other message board about how he's got this whole work thing figured out. He just plays around on the internet and gets payed while his coworkers do all the work. Can't blame the guy really. If I were confined to a life sentence in a cube farm Id waste time getting payed til I got fired too.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Josh,

I've had a few issues like this both as a manager, and working for a lazy manager.

I'd wait until your boss gets back. Sit down with your boss and let them know that they need to handle this situation. Be honest with your boss and tell them that if they're afraid to do it because this guy is a friend of the CEO's, then you'll handle it. But something's gotta' be done, man. That "S" is so frustrating.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
So there were no farmers, doctors, soldiers, carpenters, fishermen or lawyers before the 20th century?
Let me elaborate.
Careers as we (most of the working stiffs) know it at this day in age. As in being stuck in a cube farm with hundreds of other employees dealing with situations that are not natural to us. Like the topic of this thread.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Let me elaborate.
Careers as we (most of the working stiffs) know it at this day in age. As in being stuck in a cube farm with hundreds of other employees dealing with situations that are not natural to us. Like the topic of this thread.

Industrial Society And Its Future.
Read it. You'll like it. ;)

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Wish I could help...going through the same thing. Sadly, I worked with this guy for over a year at another company, then transfered to install car stereos at another place...guess who gets hired two months later? Yeah....he's lazy, CONSTANTLY saying offensive things to customers/management, oh and did I mention SUPER LAZY?

Example, he fell asleep in a customers car yesterday. He was supposed to be working on it while I was on my lunch break. Come back an hour later and NOTHING has even been done...he's just lying down sleeping.

I'm just going to start filming the stuff he's doing...hope that works.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The guy just took 45 min to drop off a FedEx package across the street. Seriously, label already on the box and everything, all he had to do is put it in the box across the street.

:banghead:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
How much time does he waste complaining about his coworkers on internet message boards?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm the only one in the building right now (company of ~300 people). It is Friday at 8:00pm. I finished my project early, and was asked to hop onto another engineers project to "help him out." His 2+ months of design and drafting work are near worthless. He was kicked off the project altogether. I spent the past 2-3 days essentially re-doing everything to make it right/usable. Staying late tonight to avoid having to come in on the weekend. I want/need a complete design and complete drawing package ready by Monday morning.

FML.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
OK, a couple of things:

1. Don't do anything or threaten anything unless you are willing to walk out. People may take actions the wrong way and show you the door. It's a tough market out there right now.

2. It's not your job to fix the situation, it is your boss' job. Despite that, you do need to help out. Chances are your boss does not want to get fried by the CEO, but if "people are complaining" there is plausible deniability for your boss to take the action (it is no longer a 1-1 issue)

3. I once had to fire someone who was not showing up to work. It took me 6 months to do it. Labor laws are funny that way. The guy took the company, his old boss the HR person and me to FEDERAL court over it. The judge threw the case against me out, but it still consumed an additional 6 months of my life (for a total of more than a year wasted with that guy.)

4. Don't videotape or record anything that your boss has not specifically asked for unless you are hoping to show up in court to defend your actions later. Really. And we could be talking a civil case where you could lose money in a bad verdict.

The best way to handle it, in my opnion, is to do the following:

1. Talk to your boss. Let them know that the situation is intolerable. If that guy is allowed to work 5 hour days, then everyone else should be as well. Ask them if they can come up with a single reason why you should have to work 8 and they get to work 5. Tell the boss "I just want a fair environment". Don't threaten.

2. If the boss says "there is nothing I can do" then tell them you need to talk to HR about the situation but you wanted your boss to know first.

3. If you go to HR and complain, it becomes very hard to fire you because it can be taken as retaliation, which is illegal. However, know that once you do that, the first time you screw up you could be gone. Regardless of the other guy.

If you are willing to get canned, then go for it. Otherwise, let your boss deal with it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
OK, a couple of things:

1. Don't do anything or threaten anything unless you are willing to walk out. People may take actions the wrong way and show you the door. It's a tough market out there right now.

2. It's not your job to fix the situation, it is your boss' job. Despite that, you do need to help out. Chances are your boss does not want to get fried by the CEO, but if "people are complaining" there is plausible deniability for your boss to take the action (it is no longer a 1-1 issue)

3. I once had to fire someone who was not showing up to work. It took me 6 months to do it. Labor laws are funny that way. The guy took the company, his old boss the HR person and me to FEDERAL court over it. The judge threw the case against me out, but it still consumed an additional 6 months of my life (for a total of more than a year wasted with that guy.)

4. Don't videotape or record anything that your boss has not specifically asked for unless you are hoping to show up in court to defend your actions later. Really. And we could be talking a civil case where you could lose money in a bad verdict.

The best way to handle it, in my opnion, is to do the following:

1. Talk to your boss. Let them know that the situation is intolerable. If that guy is allowed to work 5 hour days, then everyone else should be as well. Ask them if they can come up with a single reason why you should have to work 8 and they get to work 5. Tell the boss "I just want a fair environment". Don't threaten.

2. If the boss says "there is nothing I can do" then tell them you need to talk to HR about the situation but you wanted your boss to know first.

3. If you go to HR and complain, it becomes very hard to fire you because it can be taken as retaliation, which is illegal. However, know that once you do that, the first time you screw up you could be gone. Regardless of the other guy.

If you are willing to get canned, then go for it. Otherwise, let your boss deal with it.
Thanks for the lagit advice. My boss will be hearing about things when she gets back and I will leave it at that.

My coworker who has also noticed the issues actually talked to him on Friday night after another less than 8 hour day. He apparently had no idea he was doing it and played the ignorance card. I honestly think he knew what he was doing and just thought he was getting away with everything being unnoticed.

He showed up today 10 min early today, lets see how long this lasts. :shakefist: