Quantcast

God damn Auto Dealerships....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
trying to run me thru the cleaners.

fawking NISSANS.... :)

It's not that bad... I'll porbably end up doing it myself and save myself over $1k.

Sorry I need to rant...

J

JRB

So the xterra is not fixed??? That's what happens when you don't answer people's questions.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
whats wrong with it?
Harmonic Balancer...seems to be first and formost problem and changing all the belts in the front would be done at this time.

Then the Exhaust manifold is why I brought it in = cracked

Timing Belt/water pump

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
Harmonic Balancer...seems to be first and formost problem and changing all the belts in the front would be done at this time.

Timing Belt/water pump
That is quite the job :evil: I'd say they quoted you $2350?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
stosh said:

Timing Belt/water pump
dude just pay them to do all that crap. i have the skill to do it myself as well, but it would just consume so much time. especially the manifold. also you would need a timing light to check the timing. and the timing belt would be a pain in the ass.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:

Timing Belt/water pump
You should just cram some chocolate chip cookies into the gas tank. That seems to work for my car.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
take it somewhere other than the dealer they are the most expensive place to get anything done

J

JRB

biggins said:
take it somewhere other than the dealer they are the most expensive place to get anything done

Not always. Nissan was several hundred cheaper to fix an oil leak on Julie's sentra.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco-gringo said:
Not always. Nissan was several hundred cheaper to fix an oil leak on Julie's sentra.

who is julie and why have i not seen a pic of her yet?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
About $2k
Our writers would of gotten the extra $350

Seriously though that is A LOT of labor. To r&r and manifold and replace the harmonic balancer? Are you talking an internal harmonic balancer or just the pulley type?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
biggins said:
This is certainly the cast MOST of the time... but not always. My dealer is cheaper than any of the chain shops around (Meinekee, Monroe, etc.), they do better work, and have much better service standards.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
Thats cause we generally know what we are doing, have to trained techs, tools and parts to do the job correctly. Not to mention we stand behind our work :evil:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jacksonpt said:
This is certainly the cast MOST of the time... but not always. My dealer is cheaper than any of the chain shops around (Meinekee, Monroe, etc.), they do better work, and have much better service standards.
You are smoking the BIG pipe if you take your car for service to a "Chain Shop" A good local mechanic with a reputation is hard to beat, but those places are just breading grounds for untrained, stoopid techs that couldn't make it on their own or in a dealership environment.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
You are smoking the BIG pipe if you take your car for service to a "Chain Shop" A good local mechanic with a reputation is hard to beat, but those places are just breading grounds for untrained, stoopid techs that couldn't make it on their own or in a dealership environment.
i have a mechanic that i send everyone that i know to. he rules and is very adamant about standing behind everything he does.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
biggins said:
dude just pay them to do all that crap. i have the skill to do it myself as well, but it would just consume so much time. especially the manifold. also you would need a timing light to check the timing. and the timing belt would be a pain in the ass.
yeah but I do enjoy doing it.
My dad's friend has a lift, and all the tools I could need (timing gun included which you don't need if you don't move the pulleys <I think>). Also Aubrey's friend works at this dealership which we didn't realise till last night when I brought my car in.
He told her that he could do the work if we want outside of the dealership. She's gonna get his # for me today and then I'll see. I have about 10 options the last of which is taking it to the dealer.

I am however letting them do the mainfold.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Our writers would of gotten the extra $350

Seriously though that is A LOT of labor. To r&r and manifold and replace the harmonic balancer? Are you talking an internal harmonic balancer or just the pulley type?
pulley type

If I was going to pull that and the belts word is you have to pull the radiator and in doing so it would give me good access to the timing belt/water pump.

doesn't seem such a big deal to me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Thats cause we generally know what we are doing, have to trained techs, tools and parts to do the job correctly. Not to mention we stand behind our work :evil:
what kind of dealership do you work at?

J

JRB

biggins said:
who is julie and why have i not seen a pic of her yet?
biggins said:
or at least her butt
My wife.

Surprisingly some wives would get pissed off by that happening.

She never signed up, but peeks in from time to time and I would be way too owned if that ever happened.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
what kind of dealership do you work at?
I am at a Lincoln Mercury store. However my group owns
Ford
Lincoln
Mercury
BMW
Honda
Jag
Infiniti
Mini
Rolls Royce
Bently
Mazda
Saturn
Sterling Trucks

I think that is it

J

JRB

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I am at a Lincoln Mercury store. However my group owns
Ford
Lincoln
Mercury
BMW
Honda
Jag
Infiniti
Mini
Rolls Royce
Bently
Mazda
Saturn
Sterling Trucks

I think that is it

Nope - don't see Nissan in that list.

J

JRB

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Oh well I guess Infiniti and Nissan are totally different :thumb:

Sorry - not part of their marketing group. :( I guess they are kind of similar looking. Are they the same motors???

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
loco-gringo said:
Sorry - not part of their marketing group. :( I guess they are kind of similar looking. Are they the same motors???

Nissan is to Infiniti as...
Toyota is to Lexus
Ford is to Lincoln
Chevy is to Cadillac

and so on

J

JRB

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Nissan is to Infiniti as...
Toyota is to Lexus
Ford is to Lincoln
Chevy is to Cadillac

and so on

Yeah - I don't really know all of those relations either.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Sorry, I am no where near our Infiniti store and do not have a relationship with anyone that works there.
then why are you posting in this thread.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
loco-gringo said:
My wife.

Surprisingly some wives would get pissed off by that happening.

She never signed up, but peeks in from time to time and I would be way too owned if that ever happened.
Really?

Beutang, remember him, bought my Scream. And as a bonus my wife let me take a pic of her topless holding a Tompson post.

Now where'd that pic go?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
You shoulda gotten a Ford. BTW... arent/werent you the president of the Xterra club? And you dont have a hook-up? You are the one who should be fired!