Quantcast

god's chosen people

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Silver said:
I know that.

But when homosexuals come up, no Christian ever trots out the words of Jesus. The adulterous woman comes to mind, or Jesus saying to render to Caesar what is Caesar's. Instead they go straight for Leviticus and Paul. So, as far as I'm concerned, the shellfish is fair game :D
I'll give you some love here. God loves all people. ALL SINNERS. Just because one sin is more "obvious" to us we think that it is worse. I.E. adultery, theivery, assault, rape. But the truth is, sin is sin and God has cleared all of them from the record. If you live in sin then it is a showing that you don't really grasp His mercy and Grace but it doesn't mean He doesn't love you and won't forgive you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Heath Sherratt said:
I'll give you some love here. God loves all people. ALL SINNERS. Just because one sin is more "obvious" to us we think that it is worse. I.E. adultery, theivery, assault, rape. But the truth is, sin is sin and God has cleared all of them from the record. If you live in sin then it is a showing that you don't really grasp His mercy and Grace but it doesn't mean He doesn't love you and won't forgive you.
Now for some brutal punishment to go along with that love.

If you don't accept jesus into your heart in your very short lifetime you are going to hell to burn and be in agony for the rest of eternity... but god loves you :nope:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
golgiaparatus said:

If you don't accept jesus into your heart in your very short lifetime you are going to hell to burn and be in agony for the rest of eternity... but god loves you :nope:
He gives Everybody the same amount of opportunities to recognize and take what He has to offer.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
golgiaparatus said:

Actually, if you read Paul's stuff literally, it doesn't matter.

God either chose you or he didn't. If he didn't, you're fvcked, not matter what kind of life you lead. If he did, you're golden, again, no matter what kind of life you lead. Sure, you're supposed to be thankful, but since the grace of God is irresistable, in practical terms it doesn't matter. If Hitler was elect, he's up in heaven right now.

Can you tell I grew up Calvinist?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Silver said:
Actually, if you read Paul's stuff literally, it doesn't matter.

God either chose you or he didn't. If he didn't, you're fvcked, not matter what kind of life you lead. If he did, you're golden, again, no matter what kind of life you lead. Sure, you're supposed to be thankful, but since the grace of God is irresistable, in practical terms it doesn't matter. If Hitler was elect, he's up in heaven right now.

Can you tell I grew up Calvinist?
That kick ass reading... Calvinist stuff, thought I'm not so brushed up on it these days.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
golgiaparatus said:
That kick ass reading... Calvinist stuff, thought I'm not so brushed up on it these days.
Well...pretty much every part of life has to do with tension, healthy or not, tension or balance as some call it is essential. True I was pretty much done looking when God showed up. I can only speak for myself and what happened to me. I believe that God reveals Himself to everyone at poignant times in their lives. I accepted Christ as a child but then went my own way and denied Him. Then He shows up and says " you're done doing what you're doing. Time to follow Me now". So as for me I agree with the fact that He chose me to follow Him, but I also had to choose to follow Him and take the gift He freely gave. I truly believe that He intentionally leaves this ambiguous so that we do not just settle into our salvation. He claims to be truly saved we must be daily sanctified by His spirit and it's renewal. I don't want fire insurance, I want a relationship with the living God! :heart:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
How can you call something bogus and THEN ansk for it's explanation?
WI-WI-WACK.
Easy. There are millions of people around the world who haven't heard "the good news." More so throughout history.

You're saying Jesus Christ was a well known figure in the Asian world from the time of his birth until about 1700? The fact that a few people may have heard of him doesn't count. God clearly isn't giving everyone the same chance...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
He claims to be truly saved we must be daily sanctified by His spirit and it's renewal. I don't want fire insurance, I want a relationship with the living God! :heart:
That's interesting, but I have a tough time reconciling that with some chunks of Romans 8 and a big part of Romans 9. Now personally, I think Jesus had a great thing going until Paul got ahold of it, but if you believe the whole Bible, those have to got to be some troubling passages.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Silver said:
Easy. There are millions of people around the world who haven't heard "the good news." More so throughout history.

You're saying Jesus Christ was a well known figure in the Asian world from the time of his birth until about 1700? The fact that a few people may have heard of him doesn't count. God clearly isn't giving everyone the same chance...
God doesn't speak english...

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Silver said:
That's interesting, but I have a tough time reconciling that with some chunks of Romans 8 and a big part of Romans 9. Now personally, I think Jesus had a great thing going until Paul got ahold of it, but if you believe the whole Bible, those have to got to be some troubling passages.
I'm not following you, I have those versus memorized, what would you like to talk about specifically?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Easy disproof of the existance of God:

1) God is, apparantly, omniscient and omnipotent.
2) Heisenberg's uncertainty principal states that it is impossible to know both the position and direction of a particle at the same time.
3) Therefore omniscience is impossible. Therefore God cannot be omniscient. Therefore God does not exist.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Silver said:
Silver, what's your problem reconciling these passages? PM me if you don't want to have a Bible study here on this thread.............LOL.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Changleen said:

2) Heisenberg's uncertainty principal states that it is impossible to know both the position and direction of a particle at the same time.
3) Therefore omniscience is impossible. Therefore God cannot be omniscient. Therefore God does not exist.
Heisenberg is dead. That's for certain. I am sure he knows better now.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This thread is getting pointless.

:(

Is was good for a while, as well. Can we go back to proper argueing or has the moment passed?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heath Sherratt said:
Heisenberg is dead. That's for certain. I am sure he knows better now.
Doesn't matter. The point is, could Heisenberg have predicted both the location and the velocity of his elemental particles tomorrow, or would he have affected said particles by shining a light on them to determine position or velocity?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Silver said:
Doesn't matter. The point is, could Heisenberg have predicted both the location and the velocity of his elemental particles tomorrow, or would he have affected said particles by shining a light on them to determine position or velocity?
As far as my understanding of Quantum physics goes, the harder he looked, the more he would have affected them. By looking hard enough to know exactly what they would do, he would have utterly changed it - if you see what I mean.

Either way, it demostrates that the Christian concept of God is a crock of sh*t. Funnily enough it doesn't discount the Wican god, because the think the entire universe is 'god' - that actually seems way more sensible. If only they could somehow avoid the hippy weirdness, and of course, the whole imposistion of guidelines on how to behave and act thing...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Heath Sherratt said:
How can you call something bogus and THEN ansk for it's explanation?
WI-WI-WACK.
Are you really that dense? You're the one who maid the bogus remark... Im asking you to explain yourself. Or do you not believe your own statement to be true?

How is it now that everyone has an equal opportunity to find Christ? Elaborate, Im sure it will be ground breaking stuff. :blah:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Changleen said:

Thats difficult to take hold of as fact to man. In a universe where so many things are possible that doesnt really cut the mustard for me. We could go into the possibility of other dimentions and the string theory and stuff like that where you dont have any clue about any rules in other dimentions... we cant say if this is a ghood theory or not therefore we can not say that this Heisenberg principal... it only exists on a plane that we can understand.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Changleen said:
Wican god, because the think the entire universe is 'god' - that actually seems way more sensible. If only they could somehow avoid the hippy weirdness, and of course, the whole imposistion of guidelines on how to behave and act thing...
My ex GF's mother was an ex wickan priestest... crazy no.
Now she is a pastor at the larges presby church in town... talking to her is... like talking to a very deep pastor.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heath Sherratt said:
No, what I am saying is God does not speak in the human language, He talks to us in our spirits, all the time, to everyone.
well that explains my constant fvcking headaches.

I think I'll take a drill to my skull tonight and let the voice out.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Andyman_1970 said:
Uuuhhh, I think (let me check my Bible) that Peter responds to Jesus when Jesus asks "who do you think I am", Peter says something to the effect "you are the Christ". In the Greek (which the NT was written in) Christ means "Messiah". In that conversation Jesus does not correct Peter as if he made an incorrect assesment.
But maybe in not correcting him, he meant to teach a larger lesson...we're all sons of God, say, or maybe meant to point out our ultimate limitation as humans to perceiving the eternal, or maybe he pointed out in a sidelong way that those who draw conclusions often do so erroneously.

That's the kind of interpretation that's common in Buddhism, and so draws me to its teachings and traditions. It's too bad that Western thought tends to be quite rigid and unwilling to look past the obvious or pre-ordained ideas.
I think a lot of inconclusive commentary on buddhism is there to show us that in the multiplicity of our thoughts and interpretations, our minds create a lot of useless chatter that doesn't change a thing about reality...it points out how silly we are in the face of a logically incomprehensible eternity.

I think Jesus may have taught a lot of things that Christians don't think about.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
MikeD said:
It's too bad that Western thought tends to be quite rigid and unwilling to look past the obvious or pre-ordained ideas.
I'm a Bible beleiveing, church going Christian, and this is my main problem with Christianity as it has developed through the years, the Hellenization of the Text. After about 300 A.D. Constantine declared Christianity Romes offical religion and in doing so divorced Christianity of all it's Hebrew roots. For me any writings or texts during or after that time are suspect unless they can be "confirmed" against the Old Testament.

Way too often ideas and doctrine are taught by mainstream Christian denominations that are based on "tradition" instead of the way it was done in the 1st century (which are often and opposing ends of the spectrum)

MikeD said:
I think Jesus may have taught a lot of things that Christians don't think about.
I agree 100%...........like being quiet and meditating, Jesus taught that, but you NEVER hear ANYTHING in a "normal" Christian church about meditation.