Quantcast

Grandma Blasts Octuplet Mom: "Nadya's Not Capable"

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
How many can you put through college?

My folks had 6 kids. They could afford all 6 kids, but does that mean it was a good idea? I know we didn't get the level of attention my daughter gets.

Based on my personal experience, more than 3 is too many. Regardless of money, the level of personal attention just isn't there. As a single mother, 14 kids will grow up neglected on a variety of levels.
I'm sure there are plenty of people who grew up contented in big families just as many only children felt neglected. Who can say?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm sure there are plenty of people who grew up contented in big families just as many only children felt neglected. Who can say?
Yeah, this isn't a "big families suck" thread.

I'm willing to take bets when Child Services swoops in. My guess: 6 months after the babies come home.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's not the f*cking that is the problem.

It's the f*cking people being f*cking stupid and condemning children to lives of misery because they need to bust a nut.
"It's not my fault I was born"........used that one a bit when I was growing up....youngest son has used "maybe I should just kill myself" on the missus but hasn't tried it with me, maybe he knows I might save him the effort.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Can you say for sure, over a lifetime, that these kids aren't going to put more into the pot than than they take out?
Statistically speaking yes.

Not a 'half empty' type at all, I just adamantly feel that people do not have the inherant right to stomp all over others for their own gain...

come on, she cannot even pay rent for herself, she feeds her entire family 100% off of government funds, yet she has 'somehow' been able to afford several cosmetic surgeries.

Her own parents call her "unconscionable" and say that she was not mentally or physically able to care for children period.....

IMO she should be dismembered and her 'parts' sold to pay her debt...but that is just me......

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
"It's not my fault I was born"........used that one a bit when I was growing up....youngest son has used "maybe I should just kill myself" on the missus but hasn't tried it with me, maybe he knows I might save him the effort.
And I'm not blaming the kids, or advocating the death of the children.

The mother...

Defenestrated

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Earth
Statistically speaking yes.

Not a 'half empty' type at all, I just adamantly feel that people do not have the inherant right to stomp all over others for their own gain...

come on, she cannot even pay rent for herself, she feeds her entire family 100% off of government funds, yet she has 'somehow' been able to afford several cosmetic surgeries.

Her own parents call her "unconscionable" and say that she was not mentally or physically able to care for children period.....

IMO she should be dismembered and her 'parts' sold to pay her debt...but that is just me......
we should crucify her

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
And I'm not blaming the kids, or advocating the death of the children.

The mother...
I know you weren't mate.
Can't see how you are going to stop people having kids or why you should even try. On the fundamental human rights scale the right to reproduce (or not) seems like it should be pretty high up there to me. Ymmv.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think there should be limits placed on how many embryos you can implant, I believe most European countries have limits. IMO, the doctor needs to look at not just implanting and brining to term, but also the long term situation for the kids. If you have a person who is suicidal and can bring a child to term, should you implant them? I don’t think so…

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
(e: @ ire) one does not simply implant, but hope that candidates are accepted. this is the reasoning behind most couples' actions to fertilize more than they hope to get

point is your desires are flivorous, lavorious & reeking of shallots

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
(e: @ ire) one does not simply implant, but hope that candidates are accepted. this is the reasoning behind most couples' actions to fertilize more than they hope to get

point is your desires are flivorous, lavorious & reeking of shallots
I'm aware they don't all take, most countries limit to 3 at a time

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm aware they don't all take, most countries limit to 3 at a time
i think your sticking point may come down to what's constitutional (people will sue & so the courts will get dragged into this), and as long as there's roe -v- wade to flog people with, it's going to be difficult to make a compelling case.

not that i disagree w/ you

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
i think your sticking point may come down to what's constitutional (people will sue & so the courts will get dragged into this), and as long as there's roe -v- wade to flog people with, it's going to be difficult to make a compelling case.

not that i disagree w/ you
It'd be interesting to see how they rule since they would be limiting the number, not saying you can't do it. Back on topic, one thing you have to consider with respect to the cost is all of the interviews and possible show/movie/book deal. I think if she strikes it big she should have to pay back all of the hospital bills. I personally won't watch any interview with her (my small way of protesting).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
i think your sticking point may come down to what's constitutional
I don't think that's actually a sticking point here. There are all kinds of defined legal limits on medical practice and procedures. If the law defines an excessive number of embryos as negligent or dangerous, and that can be reasonably shown to be the case, it would hold up in court (just like restrictions on late term abortions). However, I think it unlikely that we would pass such legislation as doctor discretion is pretty critical, and the vast majority of women undergoing IVF don't need to be beaten with the same smart stick as Nadya.

Additionally, the AMA has it's own guidelines (varies by age and health of patient), which in turn can set case precedent for negligence IF a doctor diverges from guidelines with a poor result. However, given that both mother and baby are healthy ("healthy") here, I don't see how he can get hit with anything after the fact.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Additionally, the AMA has it's own guidelines (varies by age and health of patient), which in turn can set case precedent for negligence IF a doctor diverges from guidelines with a poor result. However, given that both mother and baby are healthy ("healthy") here, I don't see how he can get hit with anything after the fact.
au contraire, i think the AMA is rightfully going to go after the doctor from diverging from standard of care, regardless of the result.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You know, in the old days, when we were a primarily agrarian economy, it was a big status symbol to have many children. Meant you had a big, productive farm and needed many hands. Or were a big dumbass with no common sense who viewed her reproductive organs as a for-profit enterprise.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Pay up, suckers! http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/11/national/a152036S19.DTL&tsp=1

The Suleman octuplets' medical costs have not been disclosed, but in 2006, the average cost for a premature baby's hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The average cost for just one cesarean birth in 2006 was $22,762 in California. Eight times that equals $1.3 million.

For a single mother, the cost of raising 14 children through age 17 ranges from $1.3 million to $2.7 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
:ban:

mostly due to the time of day you posted this. but at least you had probably moved well beyond petting zoo upskirt pix for your nightly ablutions

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
at this point, i don't think they're classified as lips, but bowling bumpers

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
update:
Spokesman Michael Furtney said Nadya Suleman did not want to disclose the nature of the disabilities, or the type or sum of the payments. . . .

"In her view these are just payments made for people with legitimate needs and are not, in her view, welfare," Furtney said. "She just believes that there are programs for people with needs and she and her children qualify for some of them."
that's right: spokesman (a.k.a. publicist)

wonder if welfare paid for that?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
looks like some posters here have been busy:
LA police to investigate threats to octuplet mom
Word that the 33-year-old single, unemployed mother is receiving public assistance to care for the 14 children she conceived through in vitro fertilization has stoked furor among many people.

Police Lt. John Romero said officers were meeting with Suleman's publicist Mike Furtney about the flood of angry phone calls and e-mail messages against Suleman, her children and Furtney.

"We are aware of the media accounts of the threats, and that they are being sent to the West Los Angeles detectives for appropriate action," Romero said.

Furtney said 500 new e-mails were received early Thursday.

"We're talking to the Los Angeles Police Department to get their best advice as to how to regard these messages," Furtney said as the phone in his office rang constantly.

He is also consulting with a security professional to get advice on any precautions that might need to be taken.

Suleman is living in an undisclosed location and spends time with all her kids every day, Furtney said. The octuplets are expected to remain in the hospital for several more weeks.

Not all the calls have been angry. One family from the Midwest has invited Suleman and her brood to live on their farm, Furtney said.

"One thing that keeps me from jumping out the window is that we've heard from many people offering some kind of support: clothing, food, financial or other help," Furtney said.

Suleman has been supporting her six other children with $490 a month in food stamps and receives Social Security disability payments for three of the youngsters that could total $2,379 a month.

She has estimated her in vitro fertilization procedures have cost $100,000.

Suleman has said she saved for the treatments by working double shifts and also used money from a disability award exceeding $165,000 that she received after an on-the-job back injury.

The benefits were discontinued last year.

The Suleman octuplets' medical costs have not been disclosed, but in 2006, the average cost for a premature baby's hospital stay in California was $164,273, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Eight times that equals $1.3 million.

For a single mother, the cost of raising 14 children through age 17 ranges from $1.3 million to $2.7 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.