Quantcast
Oct 7, 2010
Wow!!! I raced 12 races last year on a limited budget with a real job. Or is a nurse not a real job?
Just curious, what is your "real job"?
GES will happen, just be patient.

Tedman I'm with you on this one. I pinch every penny to go to races and work a warehouse job at night to pay for my addiction to DH. I was talking about the people that seem to come out of the woodwork with 5K bikes, limitless gear and an endless supply of vacation time.

and yeah haha Bob the Builder....Very original..That nickname was givin to me because I do over 600Hrs of volunteer trail building each year in my area to give folks a place to ride.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what other race besides 7Springs was in western PA?
mmm it wasn't last year but the year before that. There was like 7 springs, blue, and wisp, they were all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in MD or in PA. Add in Massanutten, which was down south in VA, and it was a lot of driving for a bostonite. Last years schedule was a little easier, but I guess I had lost interest or time.

I wish GES the best, since I think it's one of the best racing series in the nation, but I can't blame people for bitching and wanting to plan their summers.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
mmm it wasn't last year but the year before that. There was like 7 springs, blue, and wisp, they were all waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in MD or in PA. Add in Massanutten, which was down south in VA, and it was a lot of driving for a bostonite. Last years schedule was a little easier, but I guess I had lost interest or time.
yeah that was a year for a ton of driving for everyone, but Blue is/was 5+ hours closer to you than 7Springs and Wisp. hell even for me in PA, both of those are a hike.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
And then there are those of us in western PA who rely on those races. Without those few races everything else is a long hike. There are a LOT more races in the eastern PA and new england area. I'm just stoked to have some races to go to on the east coast, and no matter what the drive, i'll do my damndest to find a way to get there...

now about that schedule....;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
um, i didn't mean to turn this into "GES did things wrong because they had races beyond new england and the eastern seaboard" just that races like that take more preparation and time and require more advance notice. With six month's time, I could probably convince the wife to go with me to MD to see some stupid crap and then race a little, but without that kind of planning, I'll stick to weekend races and use my vacation days for the carribean, or visiting the folks, or other crap.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Bottom line is that in a perfect world we would have a few East Coast series spread throughout the region to keep everyone happy, then an East Coast champs. Just need more promoters / organizers, not easy to come by. Until then we travel, I won't complain, I say put up or shut up...

has more potential than nearly any other mountain. the new owners of the resort seem to be very interested in expanding their bike operations.
the builders there seem to be open to ideas and couple new trails popped up last season that were pretty cool. it is on the easier side, but still good fun for a day. that high speed quad lets you lap it out all day. i'll be buying a season pass there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the builders there seem to be open to ideas and couple new trails popped up last season that were pretty cool. it is on the easier side, but still good fun for a day. that high speed quad lets you lap it out all day. i'll be buying a season pass there.
I grew up snowboarding there, and know the mountain quite well. It would be most excellent to see the trail network expand to the north face.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I grew up snowboarding there, and know the mountain quite well. It would be most excellent to see the trail network expand to the north face.
I was just about to say that, I know a couple of the trail builders and I heard rumors they are looking to expand to the northface wich has a lot more elevation change and a lot of potential. fingers crossed

Evo.

Chimp
Feb 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
has more potential than nearly any other mountain. the new owners of the resort seem to be very interested in expanding their bike operations.
Best news I have heard all winter! I love 7 Springs and will support them anyway I can. Especially, because it is only 1 hour from me. :thumb:

I will be buying a season pass for sure!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they did have several National series events there back in the day. but its the same distance as Platty is to me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Yopaulie....I think we all understand what your saying and for the most part there are same few people continually asking to have the 2011 schedule, me included, but I did take your advice on January 30th, when you said to be patient......and I have not asked again since then.

I think that Todd and Kelli had a great vision when they created the GES, it certainly has had a few hiccups along the way, but now after four years it has a core group of followers which has grown ..... and even a influx of some people who were just freeriders but tried racing and got hooked on the GES.

I just think after all the hard work Dan has done to try and help it grow over the last two years (since he took over the series promotion), I would just hate to see some of these new racers and core group get turned off or leave the series. I think a little communication from Dan would go a long way to keep the good relationship with the racers ie: paying customers.

We appreciate the work that goes into this series and certainly want it to be a viable situation for all involved. Many of us can pick up on a weekend and travel to the races no big deal....but their are racers who don't have the flexibility. At least some 2011 tentative dates like last year would help these people with the vacation planning.
I couldnt agree more. I am not involved in the GES so I don't have any details as to what the delays are...all I do know is that Dan is doing his best.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
seven springs is barely even a hill. not worth my drive
it is small...but the place really is cool and they give you a deal for the weekend. bring your girl! mine hangs by the pool and drinks all day. it's kind of cool...i ride right off the mountain and jump in (with a beer...always).

spleen123

Chimp
Mar 18, 2009
id didnt mean for it to sound like i was bashing the terrain of the mountain, the trails were cool, its just the size. for 7 hours of driving id prefer vermont or platty.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Don't rush on account of me.

I have already decided to take my limited budget elsewhere. Most will say "who cares", however that was my first season racing and I completed the overall which should be the ideal customer for a racing series. The majority of my friends who also started last year feel the exact same way.

in this down economy, people may only afford to race one series, due a combination of family, travel expense, allowable time off, etc. the longer GES doesn't post up a schedule, more folks will flock to the alternative (but still reputable and competitive) series that does. *cough* *cough* ESC.

i'm certainly giving ESC some serious consideration.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it is small...but the place really is cool and they give you a deal for the weekend. bring your girl! mine hangs by the pool and drinks all day. it's kind of cool...i ride right off the mountain and jump in (with a beer...always).
front face is small ~600' IIRC

north face.... ~900' IIRC.

big difference. north face DEFINITELY has steeper and gnarlier terrain.

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
front face is small ~600' IIRC

north face.... ~900' IIRC.

big difference. north face DEFINITELY has steeper and gnarlier terrain.
I think they held the Collegiate nationals DH a bunch of years back on the north face. It was that chairlift way off to the right that you have to drive to get to the bottom of... That course was pretty legit - I remember there being a bit of gnar. :)

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Here is the current tentative schedule
We did not and still wish we could hold out, as the contracts for many locations still need to turned in and they all have until March 25th.

So this schedule and locations here and there could possibly change, we send out contracts to all interested Mountain locations in the East. This year 15 contracts have been sent out and we have to make dates and locations work as best we can and as you all know many are in Snow mode. So we are just getting some dates now and we try to avoid stepping on other series.

We want to Thank You All!!! We can tell from this thread the GES is a well enjoyed, sought out series of events, we just have to get all the complex issues completed before we even release a tentative schedule and we did have some unfortunate delays and now the closing of Blue has us working even harder to make the series the best we can.

If you have any comments or question please email us at gravityeastseries@gmail.com

1.Snowshoe WV June 4-5

2.Wisp MD June 18-19

3. Seven Springs PA July 23-24

4. Sugarbush, VT August 6-7

5.Killington VT August 13-14

6.Highland Mountain Bike Park, NH August 27-28

7.Launch @ Spring Mountain PA September 17-18

8. Finals not set Oct. 1-2 (we are already in discussion with Blue Mtn Mgmnt as well as other locations central or near Blue Mtn)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
k8piranha, don't be so negative
eh, I was there for one of the multiple timing snafus...it's worth bringing up, though I doubt they'd discontinue a race because of it. It threw off my run (well sitting in the sun for three hours doing nothing did), so I wouldn't be surprised if the pros were more than a little peeved.

It's more likely that Plattekill is participating/sponsoring the ESC, and it looks like GES is taking more of an interest in the south/mideast than previous years.

Should be a good year if you live in PA, southern NY, or even jersey, but that schedule puts me out for 5 or 6 of 8 races...the ones in VT being the only exception. Here's hoping the ESC doesn't suuuuuuuuuuck

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
6.Launch @ Spring Mountain PA September 17-18

Seriously? Correct me if Im wrong but doesnt Spring have a smaller elevation than 7?

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Makes you wonder though, look how many mountains were there to help start the GES and now have no involvement, yet are still having their events.

These mountains are still having their race or races but are not GES:

Massanutten
Whiteface
Plattekill
Mount Snow

These venues helped start the series and now have nothing to do with it.

This does not look good for the GES in my eyes. I will likely attend a few of the GES races, but it looks like I am going more towards the ESC series.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Makes you wonder though, look how many mountains were there to help start the GES and now have no involvement, yet are still having their events.

These mountains are still having their race or races but are not GES:

Massanutten
Whiteface
Plattekill
Mount Snow

These venues helped start the series and now have nothing to do with it.

This does not look good for the GES in my eyes. I will likely attend a few of the GES races, but it looks like I am going more towards the ESC series.
Its about the $s. Massanutten,Whiteface,Plattekill and Mount Snow keep more dollars, running their own races. Why share they have the mountain, lifts etc

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
of course it is about the money, everything is unfortunately. But why are these venues going to the ESC, I know Platty is running it, but that does not explain Mount Snow and Whiteface. Maybe because Platty is involved they understand how little a mountain can make for all the effort of a race and do not take as much off the top???

Not trying to start trouble, although it looks that way. I think between the GES and the ESC we are spoiled in the northeast. More racing than anywhere else in the country between these 2 series and then take into consideration Diablo's series.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
personally I think the GES should traverse the whole east coast not just the north east, then it should be called the GNES.