Quantcast

**Gravity East Series Schedule**

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Oh I know. I'm the one that put the tentative date in there.
Wolf is stepping back into MTB in a much more progressive and commited way from the ground up. Now whether it will be me or someone else putting on an event or EVENTS there, is yet to be determined. But they've expressed definitive commitment to an MTB program. If it's not me, the promoter they choose will be able to tie in immediately to the Gravity Series as well.

They were lacking something they haven't had, a long term development plan for the resort. They are very organized now. They're considering a full time MTB program, mtb camps, and intend on developing their own trail system.

The key element the new ownership partner has added is structure and 365 day mentality to the resort.
Butch, you know there are a few of us down here that would be welling to help build up there. Let us know and good job man!!!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah....you can pretty much always count on me to help at Wolf---love that place......so steep and moist. :clapping:
Yep, me and you built a berm one time in 10 minutes.:thumb:
Gotta love moist dirt.

I am just excited that a local resort around here is interested in a bike park with lift accessed riding. Even more excited that it is an hour and fifteen minutes from home.:monkeydance:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yep, me and you built a berm one time in 10 minutes.:thumb:
Gotta love moist dirt.

I am just excited that a local resort around here is interested in a bike park with lift accessed riding. Even more excited that it is an hour and fifteen minutes from home.:monkeydance:
Interesting reading for locals:
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/BLUEMOUNTAINLIVING13/51129010/1078

Here's some skim-reading:
There are also plans for two more slopes and chairlifts and the lodge will include double and quad lifts that travel to the current intermediate and advanced slopes. These lifts will be open year-round for easy access to the spectacular views. Special vacation packages will include horseback riding, whitewater rafting, kayaking and other outdoor activities.
The overall five- to seven-year development plan includes the construction of 600 to 700 homes, tennis courts, trout ponds, playgrounds, walking, biking and horseback riding trails and a community pool enclosed in a large solarium.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
can we do shuttle runs from the top of Big Whiteface? that'd be sweet!! :clapping:
There is a hiking trail from the summit of the mountain to where the summit quad drops you off in the winter. I'm not sure if that trail is even rideable. From there it would be pretty easy to make it to where our race started last year.
It's a great idea that I have thought of before. If we ever do that you could veer left on your way down and end right at the flume(30 foot cliff diving spot) only 1.2 mikes from the base of Whiteface.
Total vertical would be 3,676 feet. You could also end up right at the base. The flume option would add a few miles of trail. Epic!
The potential we have here is world class!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
1. May 5/6 - Duryea Downhill, PA
2. May 12 - Massanutten Yee-Ha!, VA
3. May 20 - Diablo Freeride Park, NJ
4. June 2/3 - Plattekill, NY
5. June 15-17 - Whitetail/Capital Cup, PA
6. July 14/15 - (location to be confirmed)
7. August 11/12 - Wolf Laurel, NC
8. September 2 - Whiteface Mountain, NY
9. September 22/23 - Mount Snow, VT
10. September 29/30 - Whisp, MD
11. October 13/14 - Series Finals Plattekill, NY
Any word on the July 14/15th yet?

2 weeks before the Sugar National.
It would be cool if it's in the same area or possibly a nearby mountain in Tennessee....:think:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hey butch what is the update on wolf holding the race. mr cecil scared me last saturday and said there was a good chance it wasnt happening. so i figured id ask the man that had it all planned.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I have heard rumors of some venues backing out...can the dates be confirmed?

And if so, will the series totals for points standings be dropped (for example, from 7/9 to 5/7 races if the overall amount of races drops)?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
hey butch what is the update on wolf holding the race. mr cecil scared me last saturday and said there was a good chance it wasnt happening. so i figured id ask the man that had it all planned.
http://www.laurelvalleywatch.org/history.htm

This is Wolf's biggest issue right now. They're trying to force a septic plant on the local citizenship and put it in the heart of their waterways. They're also trying to put in a "airstrip" of some questionable nature. Locals and government are fighting them pretty hard. Can't say I blame the locals if you do the research on all of it.

Talked to them today and they can't commit to anything. Their stance is if they do something, they want to do it full bore and won't commit (recurring theme over their history). Bottom line. I'm pulling my event of the Gravity East schedule. No Wolf.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay cool man. thanks for the update and well im deffinatly glad i did. ohh and i had a nice little conversation with tp on friday. he had some very intersting things to say.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Too bad Wolf - But the series looks more like a New England/Mid Atlantic
series than an East coast series if you live in the SE or near around Wolf.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Haven't you heard Chuck. What with all the winter snow we get piled on here in the South East...the resorts do just fine without those silly mountain bikes. Nobody needs 'em here.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Haven't you heard Chuck. What with all the winter snow we get piled on here in the South East...the resorts do just fine without those silly mountain bikes. Nobody needs 'em here.
Yeah they make soo much more $$ off the ski season it's just not
worth foolin with us hunh?

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
Is this a DH only series? are there any 4X races any where anymore? or did i miss that event quietly going the way of the buffalo? Can we get an update on races and dates that are still part of this?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Whiteface 2nd annual 5 K DH is part of the Gravity East Series.
9-2-07 same course as last years (winning pro time of 6:36).
Same $5,000.00 pro cash purse and category 1 points on the u.s.a.c. national calendar.

See ya at the face
Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com (under constuction)
Size does matter!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
murphy man have no fear i think most of those venues hold some sort or 4x event. i know that sugar deffinatly does. last year was there first year holding it and from what i could tell it was a major success so its comming back for all you 4x guys.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
murphy man have no fear i think most of those venues hold some sort or 4x event. i know that sugar deffinatly does. last year was there first year holding it and from what i could tell it was a major success so its comming back for all you 4x guys.
yo. It was slalom, not 4x..and it got made fun of. Not the locals fault either. They wouldn't let me design it. They wouldn't let Chuck and Juan touch it? So I offered Herndon's knowledge up. They called him up and he was even willing to do it, but they wouldn't grant him control of layout. So he just flat out didn't help. He didn't want his name associated with something that he couldn't design. Don't blame him either.

4x at a ski resort requires earth moving equipment and thinks like "cubic yards". Now, if you could build luxury sky boxes courseside with liquor and fine food...you'd get your 4x.:lighten:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I do know that the TBA race will have Slalom. I think 4x may be dead in the US though...
so TBA is still waiting "to be announced." :think:
or do you have some beans to spill. :biggrin:

i'm guessing it's going to be another NE venue...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
O.K. - I posted this in the Diablo forum but was looking for a bit more info:

...a question: Gravity East Series runs concurrently and as a part of other races, for example Duryea DH is Gravity East #1 and Diablo Domination #1 is Gravity East Series #3...

So on the Duryea site they ask you to register w/ BikeReg.com for the race... I'm assuming this puts you in the system w/ USAC for points.

Now, I won't be able to make it to Duryea, but I will be racing Domination #1 / Grav. East #3 but I didn't see any directions to register with USAC or BikeReg. on Diablo's website...

So if I register through Diablo's site, does this automatically mean I'm in USAC's system and that my points will show up in the Gravity East Series???

What's the deal? What's the situation here? What's the score?
:think: :)

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
involved with NORBA (usacycling) therefore I do not think points will be awarded for DH in the usacycling sense. The Gravity series is probably it's own organization collecting the points,...my guess.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I just got off the phone with another local ski resort. They've not had an MTB event since 93, but said I'm welcome to submit a proposal. One big problem. They have no access road to get to the top of their ski hill. So if I held a DH, people would have to push up a 700 foot mountain.