Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
So the closest BAMF to your area with a large Trail Pistol is in Lexington, KY. There is a BAMF with a medium Trail Pistol in the VT area; that one would obviously be too small, but you can get some feedback about the bike in that area. Shoot us an email to discuss further, Bikes@RideGG.com.
I sent you an email

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The Mega Cookout is this afternoon, and 600 people have RSVP'd....I have a feeling we'll be running out of beer, and might have to host this event at a larger venue next year.

In the mean time, those that are local, this should be a good time!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
so..... anyone have experience with both the MT and a spitfire v2? i currently ride a spitfire v2, have an opportunity at a 26" MT.
@SuboptimusPrime is your man, as he had a Spitty V2 before he got his MT (although his MT is a 650 model, so a longer chainstay than the 26" version). But since I have a 26" model and spent a little time on his Spitty, I will preempt his lazy, beach sitting ass and offer this: both are trail smashingly great bikes (as you already know with your Spitty), and I'd say they're very similar with the MT in "Trail" mode. I think the frame weight is roughly equal, and the geo is close, but I'd guess the MT has a longer reach for a given size and I'd assume the 650 MT is longer than the Spitty. Personally, I love my 16.8" chainstay on my 26er, but I think Subopt is totally good with his 17.3". The Spitty is awfully damn stiff provided the link bearings are in good shape, but while the MT might not be quite as stiff in the rear, it has a lot less fiddly bits to worry about from a maintenance standpoint (e.g. I've only changed the bearings once since I've had mine).

IMO, the biggest difference is you have the Super Gravity/Gravity option with the MT, which gives it a definitive gnar inhaling edge when the violence really starts. If I wasn't concerned about giving my daily driver an unexpected & unpleasant east coast rock bath, it'd be quite suitable for a lot a lift serve venues. Then there's the whole made by awesome bro people in freedom land angle (I mean for shit's sake, they even have Murica flag MT stickers now
)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@SuboptimusPrime is your man, as he had a Spitty V2 before he got his MT (although his MT is a 650 model, so a longer chainstay than the 26" version). But since I have a 26" model and spent a little time on his Spitty, I will preempt his lazy, beach sitting ass and offer this: both are trail smashingly great bikes (as you already know with your Spitty), and I'd say they're very similar with the MT in "Trail" mode. I think the frame weight is roughly equal, and the geo is close, but I'd guess the MT has a longer reach for a given size and I'd assume the 650 MT is longer than the Spitty. Personally, I love my 16.8" chainstay on my 26er, but I think Subopt is totally good with his 17.3". The Spitty is awfully damn stiff provided the link bearings are in good shape, but while the MT might not be quite as stiff in the rear, it has a lot less fiddly bits to worry about from a maintenance standpoint (e.g. I've only changed the bearings once since I've had mine).

IMO, the biggest difference is you have the Super Gravity/Gravity option with the MT, which gives it a definitive gnar inhaling edge when the violence really starts. If I wasn't concerned about giving my daily driver an unexpected & unpleasant east coast rock bath, it'd be quite suitable for a lot a lift serve venues. Then there's the whole made by awesome bro people in freedom land angle (I mean for shit's sake, they even have Murica flag MT stickers now
)
all the numbers point to them being very similar bikes, with the MT clearly tipping the scales on the "MOAR BIKE" side. And that's kind of where my hesitations are. I love my spitfire, but it's honestly borderline overkill (ie MOAR BIKE than necessary) for the majority of what/where i primarily ride. truthfully, most of what i'm riding these days is AM/trail bordering on XC territory.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I hear ya, and FWIW, I keep mine in trail mode 99% of the time, since like you, I'm riding a lot of rolling terrain rather than 20+mph stoke chunder. And it has plenty of pop-n-play for those applications, plus enough beef for over-shooting jump landers

But I will add its damn nice to be able to drop it into domestic trail abuse mode when you're in places like Pisgah or whatever the analog is for western PA.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hear ya, and FWIW, I keep mine in trail mode 99% of the time, since like you, I'm riding a lot of rolling terrain rather than 20+mph stoke chunder. And it has plenty of pop-n-play for those applications, plus enough beef for over-shooting jump landers

But I will add its damn nice to be able to drop it into domestic trail abuse mode when you're in places like Pisgah or whatever the analog is for western PA.
yea, i would definitely be keeping it primarily in trail mode. i keep my spitfire mostly in the neutral position (re: flip chips) because of teh facking rocks here. and general lack of elevation change.

fwiw: i just poked around, none of the trails i ride routinely have more than 350' of total elevation change (its more if you're doing laps, but still)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
all the numbers point to them being very similar bikes, with the MT clearly tipping the scales on the "MOAR BIKE" side. And that's kind of where my hesitations are. I love my spitfire, but it's honestly borderline overkill (ie MOAR BIKE than necessary) for the majority of what/where i primarily ride. truthfully, most of what i'm riding these days is AM/trail bordering on XC territory.
what about a Trail Pistol then?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I may be derping your comment above, but I was assuming you live in the Philly area and that the Philly area is relatively flat, but you'd have access to some pretty bad ass terrain in western (central?) PA via a few hours drive.
Btw, if you did think about short shocking the MT, keep in mind this mutha is low as fuq in gravity mode. Kidwoo may object, but I definitely have to mind my pedals when I'm in the low setting.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I may be derping your comment above, but I was assuming you live in the Philly area and that the Philly area is relatively flat, but you'd have access to some pretty bad ass terrain in western (central?) PA via a few hours drive.
Btw, if you did think about short shocking the MT, keep in mind this mutha is low as fuq in gravity mode. Kidwoo may object, but I definitely have to mind my pedals when I'm in the low setting.
The way to do that would be with a 7.875x2.0 shock. You'd lose some travel but keep the exact same geo. Just like how the new MT/MT SS work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I do live in the Philly area. However you need to geography some. 7 springs is about 4 hour. Mt Creek is 2.5. blue is 1.5. all places I'd take my dh bike instead. Some good trails in central PA, but about 3 hours depending on where in going. If I'm driving that far for a day trip (unlikely this year) I'd probably go downhilling.

liqwid

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Denver, CO
So I had an opportunity to demo a coil Megatrail today on the Front Range (Apex for those of you that know it) - and was pleasantly surprised at how well it climbed, and descending was awfully fun.

I did find, however, that getting the front end up off the ground took quite a bit more effort than my current (old-skool) bike. Is this a feature of modern bike geometry? It made the bike feel less "playful," as much as I hate to use that term.

I was on a large (I'm around 6'1") - maybe I should try out a medium? Maybe I should try the SS with a shorter-travel fork?

Thoughts from the Ride:monkey: hive-mind?
Hey Bacon Boy, I know this was posted a month ago but FWIW I'm 6' 1/2" with a 6' 3" reach (I'm a monkey!) and I'm coming of a 2010 large Intense Uzzi with a shorter front end but longer chainstay.

I test rode a medium Megatrail with a 50mm stem and experienced the same thing you describe. I also test rode an XL Mojo HD3 the same day with a similar reach with the same negative results. The GG guys were cool enough to let me demo a medium again with a 35mm stem and it felt MUCH better. Crazy how much of a difference the shorter made. If you haven't tried a different size/stem combo I would recommend that you do.

I ended up finally being able to pull the trigger on a medium (yay!). GG is pretty awesome for putting up with my geeky indecisiveness when it comes to the build kit.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Hey @jonKranked. I agree completely with @jackalope's comparo between the spitfire V2 and the MT. Having spent a little time on a 26 MT (in addition to owning a 27.5), I think it is probably a bit more poppy/playful than the Spitty and it manuals a bit easier. Spitfire is a little more laterally stiff but not by much. If you're happy with the Spitty, I think you'll like the MT in trail mode quite a bit. They are pretty similar but the MT is a bit more roomy in the cockpit and I really like that. I do think it's fun to have the extra gravity mode option as well. Since you're "overbiked" for your trails, you could consider experimenting with "super trail" mode also--would give you a pretty peppy setup.

Bottom line, they are both awesome bikes with a similar purpose and set of strengths. You're choosing between two good beers. Both are good fun and there are more similarities than differences. Variety is the spice of life though so I think you'll enjoy the change.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey @jonKranked. I agree completely with @jackalope's comparo between the spitfire V2 and the MT. Having spent a little time on a 26 MT (in addition to owning a 27.5), I think it is probably a bit more poppy/playful than the Spitty and it manuals a bit easier. Spitfire is a little more laterally stiff but not by much. If you're happy with the Spitty, I think you'll like the MT in trail mode quite a bit. They are pretty similar but the MT is a bit more roomy in the cockpit and I really like that. I do think it's fun to have the extra gravity mode option as well. Since you're "overbiked" for your trails, you could consider experimenting with "super trail" mode also--would give you a pretty peppy setup.

Bottom line, they are both awesome bikes with a similar purpose and set of strengths. You're choosing between two good beers. Both are good fun and there are more similarities than differences. Variety is the spice of life though so I think you'll enjoy the change.
that's kinda where i'm at. i don't think i'd regret it if i go for it. i love my spitty, but based on your comments, a few things i've noticed, while it doesn't feel cramped, my front end does feel a teensy bit low (running about 0.75" rise bars). i do actually notice some flex when i really open it up on rocky descents, particularly if they are off camber or a lot of quick small turns. and now that you mention it, as playful as it is, it doesn't really stand out to me in that regards. i find it kinda hard to manual personally (or maybe i'm just fat). worth noting, i wound up with a spitfire 2 years ago b/c i was able to get a better price on one than i could for a MT.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
that's kinda where i'm at. i don't think i'd regret it if i go for it. i love my spitty, but based on your comments, a few things i've noticed, while it doesn't feel cramped, my front end does feel a teensy bit low (running about 0.75" rise bars). i do actually notice some flex when i really open it up on rocky descents, particularly if they are off camber or a lot of quick small turns. and now that you mention it, as playful as it is, it doesn't really stand out to me in that regards. i find it kinda hard to manual personally (or maybe i'm just fat). worth noting, i wound up with a spitfire 2 years ago b/c i was able to get a better price on one than i could for a MT.
The MTs have well sized headtubes IMO so you end up at a good height rather than slammed like its 2009. I like my bars higher so this suits me well. My spitty was getting a little noodly until I changed out the bearings and that made a big difference in restoring the original stiffness. Just saying...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The MTs have well sized headtubes IMO so you end up at a good height rather than slammed like its 2009. I like my bars higher so this suits me well. My spitty was getting a little noodly until I changed out the bearings and that made a big difference in restoring the original stiffness. Just saying...
i probably don't have enough miles / bad condition riding on the bearings for it to be an issue, but i'll check

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm really liking the seat tube angles on these bikes.
So many other brands haven't figured it out yet!