Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
There is such a thing as too low, but I don’t think ~335mm on a ~150mm bike qualifies as that.
I went back and looked at my former bikes and agree--that would be OK with me (no lower tho for my preferences). I'd definitely be on 170mm cranks and I'd still need to be more judicious with pedaling than I am on my current TP.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I run 1.65E+2mm cranks on my low&mean machine. I strike a trail side stump or rock once in a while, too; but a 10mm higher BB would not have changed that. Interesting not to hear anyone mentioning the chainring / bash strikes on such low bikes, especially in techy stuff.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Yup. 175 here. My clearance issue is really only with the chainring occasionally.

But bb height (clearance), and bb drop (handling) are two different things that manifest in a similar measurable metric.

I would be happy with a 13” bb on a 150mm 650b bike with 65 head angle, 465 reach, and <17” chainstay bike (and that is where the shred dogg comes in).

if you have a 29er with long reach (500), slack HA (63.5) and adult sized chain stays (17.75), too much BB drop has a negative effect on handing. The bike is already crazy stable due to its design, so BB drop becomes a balancing act of competing forces. imo- the gnarvana measures 13.5 and that feel perfect to me.

but consider that a 650b bike with 13” bb actually has less bb drop than a 29’er at 13.5” bb height. And then compare wheelbase of an xl spitfire (46.9”) to a size 4 gnarvana (51.2”).

many stumjumper generations with more trail bike Geo have slammed the Bb drop to gain stability. No idea what S is doing now.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I believe my bike is 13.5 static, 175 cranks, and don't want it lower.

I should also stop pedaling downhill through rocks. My last two big crashes were due to pedal strikes. I ain't racing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I run 1.65E+2mm cranks on my low&mean machine. I strike a trail side stump or rock once in a while, too; but a 10mm higher BB would not have changed that. Interesting not to hear anyone mentioning the chainring / bash strikes on such low bikes, especially in techy stuff.
I'm 6'1" and have long legs. I've run 165 cranks in the past (12.625" bb height), but it feels like trying to pedal a kids bike. I do 170 on the dh bike, but 175 on everything else.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I had a savage crash (stem shagger to blow out of berm to rock/leaf/dirt bath) from a pedal strike on a tiny but immovable root stob a few years back on my megatrail (the super low one). I also used up at least 1 trail life riding my gravity mode MT down Bennett gap--I was hitting shit with me heals all over and actually stopped to go back to trail mode. I draw the line at smacking my heals on the ground with cranks level in turns (2015 MT in gravity). I can live with "if I pedal stupid and pay for it."

Agree with @marshalolson that BB drop is informative compared to absolute height and that 29 bikes seem to corner pretty well even without danger-low BBs. Back when all bikes were 26 I was obsessed with lower BBs and rode some crazy low bikes like a blur 4x and first gen Banshee spitfire (near 300-310mm with 115 and 135 travel respectively) and loved it. This seems less of an issue with todays bikes whether due to bigger wheels, longer wheel base or all of the above, I can't say.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I'm not a low bb freak. Wheelbase is so long now I feel like the bb would need to be stupid high to feel awful. I did my time on a first gen Transition Patrol. That was too low for me.

This is where I'm @ with my alu Megatrail.
Mulleted size Xtra-med, 160 mm fork.
trail mode: 354 mm
gravity mode: 345 mm

I think I'm going to experiment throwing a 29" rear wheel in, and leaving it in gravity. It looks like I may have enough seat tube clearance @ bottom out, to not need to reduce shock stroke (maybe).

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm stoked that RideWrap is going to finally offer a tailored kit for GG bikes (or, at least I'm assuming they will be based on what Yoann said). I've been using their generic full suspension kit in gloss, and it makes the powdercoat look incredible when it's clean (there's a lot of metallic color sparkle that gets brought out). Having that all over from a "tailored" kit will be awesome.

What's the deal with the decals on Yoann's bike in the PB video? One off, or something new for '21?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dude, he really loves them. He and Remy basically custom-designed them. Can't wait to try a set myself.
would be nice if they mass-produced them. a little more (serious) competition would be welcome, if only to drive prices down (I know - hahahahahahaha - like that'll ever happen)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Can used bikes actually be recycled like Yoann mentioned in the video?
I caught that too, and I'm not sure he is representing things totally accurately. My understanding (which may be totally wrong) is that the thermoplastic polymer can be separated from the carbon fiber more easily than the epoxy-based thermoset resin, which I believe has to be burned off...however, the "recycling" of the carbon fibers still involves chopping them up, rendering them suitable for something like Revel's carbon tire lever idea, but not for a frame or rims which requires the longer fibers. So calling it "recycling" is a little bit misrepresentative in that a carbon frame can't be recycled to make another carbon frame.

I'm sure other nerds here can correct me.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Can used bikes actually be recycled like Yoann mentioned in the video?
right now manufacturing drop/flash is recyclable. Development is actively being down to break down warranty frames and such into a recyclable state. But more complex that “toss it into a wood chipper”.

so, to answer the question, it is being down at a prototype/development level, today yes.

Edit to add and built on @zhendo’s point. I am unsure if this waste turns into more bike parts or something else. But I think that is besides the point. It turns into something, and trying to reduce what ends up in the landfill.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
right now manufacturing drop/flash is recyclable. Development is actively being down to break down warranty frames and such into a recyclable state. But more complex that “toss it into a wood chipper”.

so, to answer the question, it is being down at a prototype/development level, today yes.

Edit to add and built on @zhendo’s point. I am unsure if this waste turns into more bike parts or something else. But I think that is besides the point. It turns into something, and trying to reduce what ends up in the landfill.
when you say "it's being down"... is that a typo? "it's being done" is what you meant to write? Either way, I understood the jist, and that's friggin' awesome. Further cements my resolve that a GG will be my next bike. I'm going to want to travel down and pick it up in person so I can shake your guys' hands!

\m/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Cool, thats a good start. I only asked because Yoann says in the video that the frames can be recycled, but I thought I read somewhere else (probably your post) that the recycling was more limited right now as you described above.

Could there be some sort of buy back option/coupon/discount when the process is refined?

Its interesting work to say the least!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
My intent isn't at all to minimize what y'all are doing - it's absolutely bad ass and definitive step forward. Was more just curious about what's feasible now in terms of what the reused/salvaged material can be turned into, and glad to hear that continued improvement to the process is a priority.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
My intent isn't at all to minimize what y'all are doing - it's absolutely bad ass and definitive step forward. Was more just curious about what's feasible now in terms of what the reused/salvaged material can be turned into, and glad to hear that continued improvement to the process is a priority.
oh dude! I was agreeing with you! Your point is exactly right, you were right to clarify. Sorry if I didn’t come across In This way in my post :)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Car Wheels!!!! The GT350R Carbon wheels are $21,000 for all 4. That's $5K a pop. Maybe you guys can do GG carbon wheels for vehicles maybe at $5000 for 4......

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Car Wheels!!!! The GT350R Carbon wheels are $21,000 for all 4. That's $5K a pop. Maybe you guys can do GG carbon wheels for vehicles maybe at $5000 for 4......
Are they really that much?

I just looked up the GT350 and GT350R here in Canada. There is a $15995 difference between the two models - with the R you get bigger tires, the mentioned wheels, a carbon fiber wing and whatever equipment group 920A is (vs 900A).

So those wheels are a bargain. :D

Lets say the wing is $1500 and the tires are $100 more - each wheel would be about $3600. And that is Canadian dollars, so really about tree fiddy in Freedom Dollhairs.

Trying to see if there is a way to look up parts in the SVT catalog or something...

:nerd:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You see what happens when you sit on launching the new The Smash? People post Mustang content

The blood of Cars and Coffee crowds is on YOUR HANDS, GG

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The 3x better impact resistance would come in handy when you clip a curb while hunting down innocent pedestrians.

No, you will be safe with the 350r. The 500 they will be hairy and break sideways while hitting 2nd and 3rd and probably 4th. Ford gets the wheels from these guys. Maybe it's closer to a $17K upgrade but still a lot of $$$. Plus think of the shipping and transport saving GG to add to high-end automotive manufacturing....

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, you will be safe with the 350r. The 500 they will be hairy and break sideways while hitting 2nd and 3rd and probably 4th. Ford gets the wheels from these guys. Maybe it's closer to a $17K upgrade but still a lot of $$$. Plus think of the shipping and transport saving GG to add to high-end automotive manufacturing....

a buddy of mine from college worked for a composites company providing carbon components for i think GM. they eventually acquired them and relocated the company to detroit.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I can share more once there is line of sight on parts of new builds on these models. All signs point to opening up ordering before summer/fairly soon. A number of moving pieces being meshed together.
Any update on when I can see a new Smash on my front porch?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a Shredd Dog just because they are available but after some conversations I think 29" wheels is the way to go.

Last edited: