Quantcast
Stop parroting NRA talking points.
at least 52 out of 58 New York State Sheriffs said:
We are convinced that only law abiding gun owners will be affected by these new provisions, while criminals will still have and use whatever weapons they want.
http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1109072963059-220/SAFE+ACT+24jan13.pdf

I suspect these guys know a little more than the average citizen about violent crime and effective ways to deal with it. The fact that the NRA happens to be in agreement doesn't change that a bit nor diminish the validity of the Sheriffs judgment.

Last edited:
The single best way to respond to a mass shooter is with an immediate, violent response. The vast majority of the time, as soon as a mass shooter meets serious resistance, it bursts their fantasy world bubble. Then they kill themselves or surrender. This has happened over and over again.
Kinda long but comprehensive read. Also contains lots of statistics to argue about: http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The single best way to respond to a mass shooter is with an immediate, violent response. The vast majority of the time, as soon as a mass shooter meets serious resistance, it bursts their fantasy world bubble. Then they kill themselves or surrender. This has happened over and over again.
Yet another NRA fantasy...

Deputy Neil Gardner was a 15-year veteran of the Jefferson County, Colo., Sheriff’s Office assigned as the uniformed officer at Columbine. According to an account compiled by the police department, Gardner fired on Harris but was unsuccessful in stopping him:

Gardner, seeing Harris working with his gun, leaned over the top of the car and fired four shots. He was 60 yards from the gunman. Harris spun hard to the right and Gardner momentarily thought he had hit him. Seconds later, Harris began shooting again at the deputy.
After the exchange of gunfire, Harris ran back into the building. Gardner was able to get on the police radio and called for assistance from other Sheriff’s units. "Shots in the building. I need someone in the south lot with me."

The second officer was Deputy Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman who was near the school writing a speeding ticket. When he heard a dispatch of a woman injured at the high school, he responded. He, too, fired at Harris but didn't stop him.
America is not safer or less violent due to firearm ownership - the distinction is clear when you compare to just about any other industrialized nation other than Mexico. That's American Exceptionalism...at least we're better than Mexico.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If only Oscar Pistorius had a gun, then he could defend himself against break-ins during the night...

Probably too early...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Posted on Facebook.

Because we all know that we can pass a bunch of new laws to prevent criminals from getting guns from law abiding citizens, right?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yeah, saw that on the feed this wknd.

and here's where i guess i'm also a fagget liberal: with *every* scenario of a criminal using a gun for criminal behaviour (see? i even spelled 'behaviour' like a fagget), the chain of events also has at least one link (possibly most links) of *legal* behaviour: purchase, transportation, etc., that new laws (or enforcement of current laws) would have broke the chain, thus preventing a resultant criminal act.

maybe this should be a crosspost

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

and here's where i guess i'm also a fagget liberal: with *every* scenario of a criminal using a gun for criminal behaviour (see? i even spelled 'behaviour' like a fagget), the chain of events also has at least one link (possibly most links) of *legal* behaviour: purchase, transportation, etc., that new laws (or enforcement of current laws) would have broke the chain, thus preventing a resultant criminal act.

Jeebus again, dude. It's like you're quoting the 'Butterfly Effect' or something...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

It's like de ja vu all over again...

Btw, WELCOME COMRADE!! Vodka on the left, proletariat throwing off their shackles on the right. Bourgeoisie piñata starts in half an hour, don't be late.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Spoken by a member of SFPD after a suspect was taken into custody after spraying a home with a fully Automatic AK 47

Esparza said he did not know exactly what charges Benton could face, but noted that it is illegal to possess a fully automatic AK-47.

"Criminals don't adhere to any laws," Esparza said. "That's why they are criminals"

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/...#ixzz2LxfiJcVd

no truer words ever spoken

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
False, all goods (and their owners) are subject to the laws of supply and demand. The supply of any finite good will fall off with time as they are removed from the marketplace/destroyed/used up.

People often want limited or restricted goods like exotic rare animals, animal parts, plants, etc - with time they go extinct - even common animals like Passenger Pigeons - flocks of literally billions to extinction. Guns can't easily reproduce or fly away on their own like pigeons can.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
you miss the point criminals don't give a rats arse what the law is. Us law abiding citizens do therein lies the difference. I work in the most violent areas of Oakland. The criminals don't give a damn, they do what they want to do if they think they can make a buck or expand their rep. They kill and main just because.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
you miss the point criminals don't give a rats arse what the law is. Us law abiding citizens do therein lies the difference. I work in the most violent areas of Oakland. The criminals don't give a damn, they do what they want to do if they think they can make a buck or expand their rep. They kill and main just because.
You can't break the laws of supply and demand simply because you are a criminal or anyone else however greater supply guns for everyone will mean more violence. US violent crime rate compared to other industrialized nations is indisputable fact.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Spoken by a member of SFPD after a suspect was taken into custody after spraying a home with a fully Automatic AK 47

Esparza said he did not know exactly what charges Benton could face, but noted that it is illegal to possess a fully automatic AK-47.

"Criminals don't adhere to any laws," Esparza said. "That's why they are criminals"

I'd ask if the plural of anecdote was "evidence", but one story doesn't exactly constitute plural....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
You can't break the laws of supply and demand simply because you are a criminal or anyone else however greater supply guns for everyone will mean more violence. US violent crime rate compared to other industrialized nations is indisputable fact.

sort of like walling off Gaza to stem the tide of weapons...that worked well. It just jacked up the price and made the illicit trafficing more lucrative.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh I know! Oakland is a shlt hole. That's why there's no point in having laws there. You guys are just wasting your time with them.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Um, sure they do. Criminals usually have only broken just a few laws when they go to court.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Um, sure they do. Criminals usually have only broken just a few laws when they go to court.
That's a good point actually. I mean to assume otherwise would be to take for granted that people prone to shooting other people just walk around in the street with their wieners hanging out and a bottle of bourbon in one hand screaming racial slurs and asking where the nearest catholic church is. That's just not a safe assumption. (here I mean, not in ireland)

I mean at some point, jared loughner DID probably stop at a stop sign. Just not the right one.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

kill whitey!
John Kerry calls it "freedom", you hater.

"The reason is, that's freedom, freedom of speech. In America you have a right to be stupid - if you want to be," he said, prompting laughter. "And you have a right to be disconnected to somebody else if you want to be.
It's their right to be stupid.