Quantcast

Has Trails Started Yet?

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
tard just went by our trails to see that they have been thrashed by winter and by the city clear cutting a bunch of trees

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
pfffff,..... no. just went out to the trails yesterday and theres still 6-8 inches of snow in the woods. wtf, my front lawn is all clear and nice and muddy, why cant the woods be the same.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've been diggin' 2 or 3 times a week, about 3-5 hours per session. I don't have a camera though...

and don't be posting no damm pics in this thread!! post them in the 'what is trails' thread!!! :D

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
scouted some lines today, we still have some ****ty weather coming but will start digging in march. the ground is soooo wet and I think another cold snap is coming so the ground will probably be frozen solid for a while yet.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
We got a half day digging yesterday. Moved 2 big piles, going to change our 1st 2 sets. I expect to be the riding sunday. jdate-check your pm.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Some of ours are up and running again. For the time being at least, until another freeze comes along.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
haven't been digging too much at my main set of trails this winter, instead I have overhauled my little training grounds... Finished the table today actually. The step up is finally big/steep enough to go as fast as I want without worrying about overclearing.

The line in to the step up, with the old table on the right:

The freshly rebuilt table:

All for trying tricks while avoiding injury.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Looks good, very abrupt?
Not terribly, really poppy when you push into the lip though. The plan is to make the step up to about a 7ft lip, but the clay here in NC is ridiculous. You can basically dig about 6" into it, then you have to let it rain to soften up another 6". And the only other kind of dirt to use is the first 1' of the soil which is super loamy.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
I'm going to have to start shoveling off my yard soon and give Mother Nature an assist. March/April are going to be really muddy, but that's the best time to start stacking dirt.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Not terribly, really poppy when you push into the lip though. The plan is to make the step up to about a 7ft lip, but the clay here in NC is ridiculous. You can basically dig about 6" into it, then you have to let it rain to soften up another 6". And the only other kind of dirt to use is the first 1' of the soil which is super loamy.
Pick axe???

Also, if you want to eventually get the lip really high, may I suggest digging a drainage tunnel/pit to the left side of the pit. This way you can get dirt for the lip and provide drainage.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Pick axe???
You'd be surprised how little that does when the clay is dry, its like trying to pick axe concrete.

The drainage on the lip isn't a big deal as the step up is cut out/built above a hill.

Edit: But if you were talking about the smaller table in the second pic, then yes thats the plan so far, just waiting to get a bit of rain so I can dig the pit a bit deeper.

Last edited:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Well "trails" haven’t started yet but the start of a bike park in Albuquerque has; this is a concept of a mixed usage bike park. I don’t want to hijack, but it seems like you are asking. Myself and a few others (tony @ bikeworksabq) have put a lot of time in getting it to this point. Now the county is behind it and Hilride has been contracted to this project as well. We shall see... Has anyone worked with hilride in the past?

-Vince

Sep 23, 2009
Burlington, NC
We packed everything 3x last year before the final freeze here,not this year. This year were digging until easter and not wasting any valuable digging time as we are in a drought right now and I cant imagine how dry it will be this spring.

Who ever heard of a flipping drought in the winter...only in NC.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
We packed everything 3x last year before the final freeze here,not this year. This year were digging until easter and not wasting any valuable digging time as we are in a drought right now and I cant imagine how dry it will be this spring.

Who ever heard of a flipping drought in the winter...only in NC.

Works fine for me when I haven't got rain for a while.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Most of the snow is melted off my trails so I was checking out the damage, stoked that my concrete berm is going on the 3rd season with no cracks :)

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So what I posted pictures of has been destroyed by the owners of the land unfortunately. But life goes on. I started a new set of jumps right in my backyard (where I should have been building in the first place but always thought the dirt was too sandy.)

First dub i just got finished, I will post pics tomorrow.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
So what I posted pictures of has been destroyed by the owners of the land unfortunately. But life goes on. I started a new set of jumps right in my backyard (where I should have been building in the first place but always thought the dirt was too sandy.)

wetting the sand and torching it helps, as do some carpets

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
wetting the sand and torching it helps, as do some carpets
We got about an inch of heavy rainfall last night, and it all packed down like concrete, i was amazed to go out there this morning and find the lip hard as a rock. Finished the landing for the first dub today.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?

Whats up with that? Tell the owners that they shouldn't have bought land where you were building jumps.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Whats up with that? Tell the owners that they shouldn't have bought land where you were building jumps.
Kind of a lame situation. I met the guy who owns the property, and he was totally fine with me building. Told me that he'd have said differently if I hadn't had my helmet and knee pads on, and that I should try to not make too much noise, etc. So I was like "sweet so I will build a bit more", and I started and almost finished the pump track out there. Last week while I was working on the pump track the guys wife came back (nearly obese if not all the way and had that "i'm a redneck and proud of it" attitude) and she didn't want me back there. I said that her husband said it was ok with him. To which she said "I ain give a sh!t what my husband told you", so it was obvious who wore the pants. I argued a bit telling her I worked hard back there and I wear pads and such. But there was no reasoning. She stood there in the woods and waited for me to leave. The next day I went back to get my tools, she was out there with her kids, instructing them to basically kick in every jump. I collected my tools quietly and one of the kids came up to me and asked if I thought they could ever ride this kind of stuff, I said "yea it just takes practice, and always wear your helmet." The mother promptly said "you won't ride these kinds of bikes, boy, this kind of biking is ungodly." To which I replied with a series of very unsavory remarks, and left. I went back there yesterday looking for my hatchet, and she has spray painted every single tree on her property line, and posted about 80 no trespassing signs. I sure know how to make friends.

Last edited:

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Pics as promised. This is the new spot after being kicked out of the old spot. Only about 3 days old, built a little stepdown at the middle of the hill for a bit of extra speed. Still pretty wet back there though.

From the top of the hill

bottom of the hill

Still not sure what we are going to do with the rest, the plan is to hip to the left after the first double, and then have a 6pack after that, then berm back towards the hill.