Quantcast

Help us build the ultimate commute backpack!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
haha, Though it all comes down to one question - how long has the hooker been dead? I think , if it is longer than 6 months, it should make it easier (depending on the size of the hooker). If it is longer than 2 years, then we are in business even with a 6L bag!
you've got a sense of humor, you'll do well here.

Sep 9, 2015
Expandable stowage and room for locks?

When I travel to work I usually find myself packing work clothes, lock, keys, wallet, phone, ipad, bike pump, and that's at a minimum. If I want to bring anything else, it's nice to have a little extra space.
Thanks for the list Jm. Will take this feedback. I think this is consistent feedback I seem to be getting.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
At first I was like, this guy is kinda spammy, and then I was like hey, he's taking the ridemonkey smartass comments somewhat well, and then I was like damn, this dude has a sense of humor, and then finally I was like damn, he's actually conducting some research and considering these ideas, and so finally I was like damn, I'd consider one of these bags if I was a commuter.

And then i looked outside the window and saw all the mud and melting snow and was like, double damn, I can't go for a ride today.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your feedback. Will take your fedback. We are building 2 bags - one with larger lit up area and another with the cycle logo. But will work on the prominense of it. One idea was to make it a brighter red light, but it seems to spoil the looks! View attachment 121013
Flashing garners more attention. Just look at the BMW and Honda motorycles with pulsing headlights.

Sep 9, 2015
The whole pack doesn't need to be waterproof. If it had a waterproof sleeve that would be better. The ability to clean the interior without ruining the pack or its structure. Shoulder Straps on the pack which secure to the pack in more then 4 points and adjustable with a secure fastening system for each point. A pack made for someone who isn't of a Athletic build. I have a belly and as such I need strap room sometimes... The ability to remove padding at pressure points that can be replaced as it wears out and for cleaning. Repairable exterior webbing because I crash and catch stuff on branches and shit. A food pouch so that if you spill food it doesn't contaminate your whole pack. Passive Reflective piping option instead of the loud bike graphic.
Thanks JD. That is super useful. Given that I personally have a bit of fat covering my 6-pack (ok, layers and layers of fat :) ), we will make sure it fits soon-to-be-athletic profiles well too! On the food - Do most commuters carry their food too to work?

Sep 9, 2015
Done! The flashing light option is easy to do. Will put that in. For the lights being red, it does change the aesthetic significantly. I'll build a prototype and see how it looks. I'll share the photos once I do it.

I agree with this. Also make the rear facing lights red.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Done! The flashing light option is easy to do. Will put that in. For the lights being red, it does change the aesthetic significantly. I'll build a prototype and see how it looks. I'll share the photos once I do it.
Color changing LED strips. You can give it the white look, but also have the option of red.

Sep 9, 2015
At first I was like, this guy is kinda spammy, and then I was like hey, he's taking the ridemonkey smartass comments somewhat well, and then I was like damn, this dude has a sense of humor, and then finally I was like damn, he's actually conducting some research and considering these ideas, and so finally I was like damn, I'd consider one of these bags if I was a commuter.

And then i looked outside the window and saw all the mud and melting snow and was like, double damn, I can't go for a ride today.
Thanks Kickstand. I am an entrepreneur and a cyclist - cant be those without a sense of humor I suspect. And being spammy comes with being an entrepreneur :cheers:

Sep 9, 2015
Thanks Stoney. Will actually provide an option. Here, we are planning to use EL instead of LED. EL is stitch-able and thinner. But might as well provide the option - the back-light being red is ingrained into all of us since we picked up our first bike!

Color changing LED strips. You can give it the white look, but also have the option of red.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Clothes absolutely. I'll bring my lunch, but it's usually pretty small if I'm riding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You may be targeting commuters but I think it is important that a pack is useful in all packing requirements. This is my 15 year old Blackburn Hydrapack. Although quite old, I compare all other packs to it. I think it is about 900 in^3.

Things I liked about it in order of importance

1. Suspension system and highly curved shape. Fit the contour of my back while on the bike. Maintained an air gap to limit a sweaty back. Waist strap is well padded but it can be removed when I used it as carry on luggage when flying.
  2. Deep side pockets that securely held water bottles or a Nalgene.
  3. A large simple front pocket. A personal preference but I hate small pockets or even worse, a bunch of small pockets. Complex pockets in pockets lets you organize things but prevents you from jamming in something bulkier like a rain jacket. Simple and flexible. I can put in a separate organizer if I want.
  4. Elastic on the back that is shaped to allow a helmet to be strapped on the outside.
Thiings I did not like about it
  1. Not very waterproof. Stuff got ruined when I got stuck in heavy rain. Integral rain fly would be simpler than making the whole pack waterproof
  2. Laptop pocket would be nice. but considering the curved shape this would be difficult. A good feature for product differentiation if a innovative solution is developed.
  3. No specific means for carrying a U-lock. this should be centered so the load is unbalaced. A simple pocket on the bottom would be nice.
This has been my favorite pack for 15 years. As you can see it has gotten a lot of use. Used it daily bike commuting for 2 years when I was in Seattle. I generally always carried a 15" laptop, Several notebooks, Rain jacket and pants, water bottle, U-Lock. It still had room to stuff a fleece or down jacket inside when I found myself in a warm and cozy bar for Happy Hour.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good zippers. Nothing is worse than having a perfectly good bag, pair of pants etc etc, that has a crappy zipper.

Same goes for buckles.

It might also make sense to have a mesh "bag" on the front to carry shoes in. I use a Fox full size backpack for work, which has a mesh thing with straps on the front that is supposed to be used to hold a full face helmet. Coincidentally, my pair of safety shoes fit perfectly in there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thanks JD. That is super useful. Given that I personally have a bit of fat covering my 6-pack (ok, layers and layers of fat :) ), we will make sure it fits soon-to-be-athletic profiles well too! On the food - Do most commuters carry their food too to work?
Sometimes Plastic wrap leaks when I bring Meatloaf. I hate when the Salad dressing mixes with the whip cream on my Banana cream pie and the pie gets all mushded. Some type of Pie Retention system would be nice.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hi Nick,
Thanks for your feedback. Will take your fedback. We are building 2 bags - one with larger lit up area and another with the cycle logo. But will work on the prominense of it. One idea was to make it a brighter red light, but it seems to spoil the looks! View attachment 121013
This is pretty awesome.

I would also like laser beams, preferably to shine in the eyes of the motorists that are glued in the direction they want to go instead of where they are going.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Thanks AngryMetal! Custom logos are a dope idea. I'll see how we can make that happen. Dont know specifically about the graphic you suggested of course :)
I've got mad photoshop skills so I spent the better part of the day designing the logo for you. I hope you like it. I think it's some of my strongest work to date. Thank you and please drive through.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That looks like a tire with arms and legs holding a tire.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
haha, Though it all comes down to one question - how long has the hooker been dead? I think , if it is longer than 6 months, it should make it easier (depending on the size of the hooker). If it is longer than 2 years, then we are in business even with a 6L bag!
will be funding....has sense of humor.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
will be funding....has sense of humor.
I think the dead hooker capacity is not as important as the pie securing harness. If I butcher a hooker, odds are I am going to finish up and scram. I am not going to bring her/himshe with me right? Focus is needed here. Are we ever going to need a ass ferret pouch? Not likely.

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
Just 2 more questions - is it common to carry food in the backpacks for the commute? And change of clothes?
I bring food to with me 5-6 days a week in my current pack. Being water proof or very resistant was an important feature for me, my commute is only 15 minutes each way but I pretty much ride it every work day of the year. Room for clothing is necessary, sometimes really cold in the morn but 40-50 on the way home.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
personally, I hate commuting with a backpack. Have you thought of making pannier bags? I'd even rather ride with a basket on my bike than a pack...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
personally, I hate commuting with a backpack. Have you thought of making pannier bags? I'd even rather ride with a basket on my bike than a pack...
Bad idea in the Ghetto. You can always run away. Sometimes you can't always bring your bike with you however.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It takes some crazy strong rain to soak through a pack, most aren't "waterproof" and do just fine. It wouldn't be a big selling point for me.

Em_Ef_Er

Chimp
Nov 21, 2015
Connecticut
I like the idea of having internal dividers similar to what camera bags have, but not permanent so you can change it up depending on what you are carrying. A ventilated back panel is a nice feature especially in the warmer temps. Oh and a self destruct button just in case.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've been looking at alot of backpacks for riding lately. I found this pack Mystery Ranch makes for hot shot firefighting. I know its unlikely anyone has one ($220 price tag) but what're the thoughts? Slim pack on the back, weight balanced on the hips, 3L of water reservoir, heavy duty construction. Looks like it could be a good day pack for the trails..

Sep 9, 2015
Hey, A few months back, I was seeking feedback on the ultimate commute backpack. Thanks for all the feedback - we finally launched the new backpack as Aster - the world's safest commute backpack on Indiegogo at https://igg.me/at/Aster ! As a thanks, there is a secret perk you can access from here. Do tell me what you think of it!