Quantcast

hitch rack for low car

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The trick may be finding a 2" receiver hitch for an A4. I never found one for my '98. All were 1 1/4", which matches the maximum tow ratign for the car.

Look into Bosal hitches. They're a European brand and are the factory/dealer installed hitch for VAG cars in Europe (my TDI has a spot already molded into the spare tire tool caddy for the Bosal hitch ball assembly). They aren't cheap, but attach to the chassis much better than the crap-tastic hitches sold in the US. The catch is you'll need to have a 2" receiver fabricated to fit the hitch assembly to use std accessories.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The trick may be finding a 2" receiver hitch for an A4. I never found one for my '98. All were 1 1/4", which matches the maximum tow ratign for the car.

Look into Bosal hitches. They're a European brand and are the factory/dealer installed hitch for VAG cars in Europe (my TDI has a spot already molded into the spare tire tool caddy for the Bosal hitch ball assembly). They aren't cheap, but attach to the chassis much better than the crap-tastic hitches sold in the US. The catch is you'll need to have a 2" receiver fabricated to fit the hitch assembly to use std accessories.
i did find hitches for models up to 2008, but with the new redesign of the 2009's, i havent been able to find em just yet...by the time i get the car, the 2" hitches should be available.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
i did find hitches for models up to 2008, but with the new redesign of the 2009's, i havent been able to find em just yet...by the time i get the car, the 2" hitches should be available.

I hope so for your sake, but I wouldn't bet on it. It really depends on what the tow rating is for the car (hitch manufacturers don't give a crap about accessories). If the maximum towing capacity can be achieved with a 1.25" reciever, then that's all will be available here. Let's face it, in the sue-happy U.S., they tend to err on the conservative side... VAG in general frowns on towing in the U.S. (hence why you have to go gray-market to buy the Bosal here). For example, the tow ratings in the U.S. for my Mk IV wagon are about half of the ratings for the same car in Europe.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well ill just have to wait and see...if they had them for the '08 models, i dont see why they wouldnt have it for the '09 models....i mean its not like its a different car, just a refreshed look

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I hope so for your sake, but I wouldn't bet on it. It really depends on what the tow rating is for the car (hitch manufacturers don't give a crap about accessories). If the maximum towing capacity can be achieved with a 1.25" reciever, then that's all will be available here. Let's face it, in the sue-happy U.S., they tend to err on the conservative side... VAG in general frowns on towing in the U.S. (hence why you have to go gray-market to buy the Bosal here). For example, the tow ratings in the U.S. for my Mk IV wagon are about half of the ratings for the same car in Europe.

yep...i use a 2" sportswork hitch rack w/ my honda civic...no one makes a 2" receiver for that car.

i had to have my brother in law get creative.

photos will be posted at some point, probably tomorrow at the earliest.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm getting a 1-1/4" hitch on my lowered xB this weekend. time to find a hitch rack for it. any suggestions from the experts here? i need something that will go from road to trail to DH bikes, and holds two bikes. i've got the lowering springs on my xB that drops the ride 2". current contenders are the Thule T2 and the Yakima Holdup. I'm open to other suggestions, though the NS Racks website says they are out of stock for a two bike 1-1/4" (can't believe Canadians know what an inch is, let alone make stuff in that size).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'd say the 1upusa or holdup if you are looking for maximum ground clearance. I have a second gen xB with standard suspension with a 1up and it has tons of clearance. I've also owned used a holdup and I've owned various generations of sportworks/thule T2 racks. T2 aren't as good in ground clearance, are harder to use with 29ers, and I have two friends who have had brace failures who often carried DH bikes.

1up are very high quality with thick Al parts and SS hardware all around, they have a 4 position tilt setup(tilt down, load, spare tire, and 90 degrees), they are very lightweight and they fold for storage off the vehicle and you can put them in your cargo area when you aren't using them. You have the option of just running one at a time when you aren't carrying two bikes too:
http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

The holdup has j-bend base like this so you'll also have tons of clearance. Its a bit cheaper than the 1up but its heavier as its mostly made of steel and the hardware quality isn't quite as good:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm open to other suggestions, though the NS Racks website says they are out of stock for a two bike 1-1/4" (can't believe Canadians know what an inch is, let alone make stuff in that size).
i think the NS Rack might be a good choice since it keeps the bikes fairly high off the ground.

you might run into the issue with the main cross member bottoming out going in and out of driveways

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
cookiedough had something made up from a local welder that is like that piece of junk on the first page of this post but it looks a lot nicer. He probably still has it but has no use for it now that he only drives a jeep.

I can find out about it if u want.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'd say the 1upusa or holdup if you are looking for maximum ground clearance. I have a second gen xB with standard suspension with a 1up and it has tons of clearance. I've also owned used a holdup and I've owned various generations of sportworks/thule T2 racks. T2 aren't as good in ground clearance, are harder to use with 29ers, and I have two friends who have had brace failures who often carried DH bikes.

1up are very high quality with thick Al parts and SS hardware all around, they have a 4 position tilt setup(tilt down, load, spare tire, and 90 degrees), they are very lightweight and they fold for storage off the vehicle and you can put them in your cargo area when you aren't using them. You have the option of just running one at a time when you aren't carrying two bikes too:
http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

gotta say i like the looks of this guy. i'd hit y'all with some rep if i didn't need to spread it 'round first.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
gotta say i like the looks of this guy. i'd hit y'all with some rep if i didn't need to spread it 'round first.
Your requested photos. Let me know if you have questions. The last one is the add-on. Its super easy to put-on/take off so I don't leave either the rack or the add-on installed unless I'm using it. Both the primary rack and add-on is about the same size folded - the hitch mount/stinger folds up between the arms and its only slightly thicker/bigger. With this rack you can fold it up and put it in your trunk with room to spare. Try that with any other tray rack:thumb:

I have a curt 1.25" bolt-on hitch, it was super easy to install.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
SOLD! I'm off to Uhaul on Friday for my hitch. Assuming that goes on... wait for it... without a hitch... :brows: then I will pull the trigger on the rack and consider the +1. It is a bit spendy, but it sure looks nice, and it won't be that big a deal over a lifetime.

You ever have any issues with running two big bikes on the back? I'm assuming you are on the 1-1/4" hitch size.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You ever have any issues with running two big bikes on the back? I'm assuming you are on the 1-1/4" hitch size.
None from a long trip from NJ to FL but they were two AM bikes around 30 lbs. There is nothing preventing you from adding straps to the wheels to the tray if you wanted to for a fail safe.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
should be interesting to see how close it comes to the ground going up and down slopes with your lowered car
The rack itself will be around 9.5" off the ground and the trays would probably about 15" off the ground. Mine has stock springs and its 11.5" to the bottom of the rack. I never come close and I don't think 2" will make a difference.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Take a look at the Saris hitch rack. I have one on my van. The van isn't really low, but you can see it's got pretty good clearance. It even seems to be angled up a tad.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Take a look at the Saris hitch rack. I have one on my van. The van isn't really low, but you can see it's got pretty good clearance. It even seems to be angled up a tad.
Those bottom out easy (the rack sticks way out, its a good option if you have a spare tire to clear versus a T2) and you mess up the tightening knob. My friend has bottomed the Saris I sold to him on a Ford Explorer with decent ground clearance.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The rack itself will be around 9.5" off the ground and the trays would probably about 15" off the ground. Mine has stock springs and its 11.5" to the bottom of the rack. I never come close and I don't think 2" will make a difference.
my hitch rack on my Ford Five Hundred was about 8" off the ground and it bottomed out everywhere, but those cars did sit very low with anything in the trunk.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Those bottom out easy (the rack sticks way out, its a good option if you have a spare tire to clear versus a T2) and you mess up the tightening knob. My friend has bottomed the Saris I sold to him on a Ford Explorer with decent ground clearance.
Your friend must not know how to drive. I've got the extension to put two more bikes on the back. Even with that and the van sitting way low, i haven't scraped it anywhere. An explorer is higher up than my van. Your friend doesn't know how to drive. Or maybe I just know how because I've had a few lowered vehicles.
If the rack didn't stick out, it wouldn't clear the bumper. i'm thinking all racks are going to stick out. You just have to be conscious of how you're driving.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Your friend must not know how to drive.
The stinger section (and especially the knob on the end) sticks out further than almost any other tray rack on the market which is why this track works with vehicles that have spare tires on the back where a T2 or holdup doesn't. Its easy to bottom on the knob, I am not talking about the trays themselves. That would be really bad driving if you did that.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
1up order placed for a single tray. If it is super awesome, I'll drop the coin for the add-on. If not, 100% refund and return shipping! What more could I ask.

Thanks Syadasti!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
The stinger section (and especially the knob on the end) sticks out further than almost any other tray rack on the market which is why this track works with vehicles that have spare tires on the back where a T2 or holdup doesn't. Its easy to bottom on the knob, I am not talking about the trays themselves. That would be really bad driving if you did that.
ah, i see. Still kinda hard to do. i've only done it twice with the minivan and i've had the rack for 4 years.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ah, i see. Still kinda hard to do. i've only done it twice with the minivan and i've had the rack for 4 years.
I had a Saris on a hitch at 7.5" clearance and bottomed on the knob once or twice which was bought specifically because it stuck out more and cleared a bumper that a T2 would not. Sold it for a T2 when I got rid of that car that necessitated the Saris for the extra clearance. I've used most of the racks out there and my first tray rack was a Sportworks in 1998. I would not pick the Saris unless I had to clear a spare tire or big bumper but the 1upUSA does not require a pin/fixed insertion depth and it has folded position for a spare/big bumper so the only reason I'd pick that now if it was significantly cheaper and needed to save the money. The Saris also has interference issues when carrying some bikes, the trays should be further apart than they spec them.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks perfect even with the lowered suspension. When I first got mine I didn't realize you were supposed to push it so it deforms the tire a bit. Make sure you aren't pushing the arms on the tire so they are just lightly touching as the bike can move a bit if its loose and the catch mechanism won't lock tightly on the metal bar. The good thing about the retention arms is that larger tires (found on DH bikes) hold more securely by default.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I figured that pushing down to deform the tire would make it fit better. I may throw an extra strap or two on to stabilize. I haven't taken her out on the road, just did the mounting test. It was stupid easy and fast to get her on, loaded, unloaded, off, and folded back up in the trunk. Quality product so far. Now to road test it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've had mine for almost a year with no problems other than debris causing some wear on the slide plates when you fold it so I had to tighten it slightly. I drove with two bikes on mine from NJ to FL in November.

I don't use straps as they aren't needed but you could buy some straps from REI or EMS (like the ones used on backpacks to strap down sleeping pads) if you don't want the front wheel to move as much. I do use a cable lock if I'm running into the store with bikes on the back...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Slick looking rack. I'm still torn on the whole roof vs. hitch debate.

Nightmares of dropping a bike on the roof vs. nightmares of getting rear-ended.

My new ride is a lease, so I'll just be getting a roof rack. Although I'm told by the local RackAttack guy that you can get a bolt-on hitch with no welding required, just drop the exhaust and reinstall to get the hitch into place.

The Mrs. also reminded me that hitch racks don't carry skis. She's a smart one she is...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
my hitch mount was a no-weld u-haul deal. i dropped the car off, they backed it onto a lift and 2 hours later i had a hitch bolted to my car. fully removeable with a few wrench turns. worth considering.