Quantcast

Home owner monkeys

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You guys...

Brace yourselves for the folks spooked by our foreign buyers' tax. I bet it will become even more fun.
Supposedly a significant portion of luxury home buyers are foreign investors. Thankfully they don't seem as interested in the expensive little hovels most of us live in. Much riskier renting to us poors.

However, now that I am in the market, Huānyíng.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Supposedly a significant portion of luxury home buyers are foreign investors. Thankfully they don't seem as interested in the expensive little hovels most of us live in. Much riskier renting to us poors.

However, now that I am in the market, Huānyíng.
Or they just buy any old house and let it rot into the ground rather than rent it to anyone.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
There's A LOT of chinese investment into real estate in greater Boston. Rich parents who plan to send kids to expensive schools here in 10-15 years are investing in rich 'hoods, and they rent them to chinese immigrants who want their kids in the best public schools.
/coolstorybro

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Most of the homes around here have probably had un-permited improvements made. It can be a problem if improvements/expansions are made that would be taxable. That is only likely to be a problem with the local government if it can be seen from the street. As far as inside the home it can be an issue with insurers if the work was not done to code. My insurance company made me remove a staircase that made my carport roof into an elevated deck without the appropriate handrails.
House in question went on the market right after we bought ours in 04. I was kind of pissed at the time, it's almost exactly our house but with a basement, which I would have loved given I was working nights at the time. But, it turns out that except for the house in question, no house on my side of the street has a basement because there is some sort of underground stream/high water table. It's all crawl spaces and sump pumps. Sellers at the time decided the best way to sell the house was to finish/add a couple rooms to the basement, all un-permited and FSM only knows if they are up to code. The basement has flooded pretty significantly at least twice during wet summers in the time we've been here. I don't know if insurance claims have been made or not, but that seems to me like something an adjuster might be interested in.

Bongs AND dongs?
Paging @mandown, mandown to the white courtesy phone.......Business opportunity on aisle 3.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There's A LOT of chinese investment into real estate in greater Boston. Rich parents who plan to send kids to expensive schools here in 10-15 years are investing in rich 'hoods, and they rent them to chinese immigrants who want their kids in the best public schools.
/coolstorybro
A dude I work with who is fresh out of college and from China bought a nice new $650K house last year. A few of us were discussing mortgages and interest rates. He asked us what a mortgage was. Clearly he was given the coin to buy the place straight up. What really confuses me is why he is working in this dump if he has that kind of money? The worst part is instead of buying a place in a desirable neighborhood he picked up a mini-mansion in suburban strip store hell because he wanted to be close to the mall.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
House in question went on the market right after we bought ours in 04. I was kind of pissed at the time, it's almost exactly our house but with a basement, which I would have loved given I was working nights at the time. But, it turns out that except for the house in question, no house on my side of the street has a basement because there is some sort of underground stream/high water table. It's all crawl spaces and sump pumps. Sellers at the time decided the best way to sell the house was to finish/add a couple rooms to the basement, all un-permited and FSM only knows if they are up to code. The basement has flooded pretty significantly at least twice during wet summers in the time we've been here. I don't know if insurance claims have been made or not, but that seems to me like something an adjuster might be interested in.

Paging @mandown, mandown to the white courtesy phone.......Business opportunity on aisle 3.
Previous owners of my place in VA finished half of the basement with no permit, strangely the half with no windows. I don't know what they were trying to do with the space, might have made for a good home theater. Anyway as it was just a random room in the basement I simply listed it as unfinished space per the tax assessment.

Unknown to me until my last week in the house they had removed a support post under the main beam running along the house to create more open space. it never posed a problem for me but considering I lived in rural VA the odds that a morbidly obese family moving in was pretty good. I re-installed the beam prior to selling as a good inspector should have caught it. I clearly did not have a good inspector when I bought the house.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A dude I work with who is fresh out of college and from China bought a nice new $650K house last year. A few of us were discussing mortgages and interest rates. He asked us what a mortgage was. Clearly he was given the coin to buy the place with straight up. What really confuses me is why he is working in this dump if he has that kind of money? The worst part is instead of buying a place in a desirable neighborhood he picked up a mini-mansion in suburban strip store hell because he wanted to be close to the mall.
a lot of very well off parents make their kids have some manner of career as a stipulation for their inheritance. guy i used to work for was one of these. he was generally mid 20's party dude. parents told him to do something if he wanted his inheritance. he now operates one of the biggest bike shops in upstate NY.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We are seeing an interesting shift, aging baby boomers selling their 8000 sq foot things now that their kids are all grown up. they are buying up the last dumps in town and building high end on the scraped lots to be in town. not much left here for under a million...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
a lot of very well off parents make their kids have some manner of career as a stipulation for their inheritance. guy i used to work for was one of these. he was generally mid 20's party dude. parents told him to do something if he wanted his inheritance. he now operates one of the biggest bike shops in upstate NY.
Exactly, I just don't know why he is working here. He is really into photography and actually did his graduate work in optics. He has the freedom to pursue a more interesting career. This place isn't very rewarding, except for when payday swings around. Perhaps he is just lazy, he can do well here with minimal effort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly, I just don't know why he is working here. He is really into photography and actually did his graduate work in optics. He has the freedom to pursue a more interesting career. This place isn't very rewarding, except for when payday swings around. Perhaps he is just lazy, he can do well here with minimal effort.
get him a mountain bike and tell him to sign up on ridemonkey :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
get him a mountain bike and tell him to sign up on ridemonkey :rofl:
He is a roadie. Also has a folding bike that he rides into work on with a full high-viz getup including helmet cover. He doesn't commute to work, just rides a bike from his car to his desk, I guess that confirms the lazy part.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He is a roadie. Also has a folding bike that he rides into work on with a full high-viz getup including helmet cover. He doesn't commute to work, just rides a bike from his car to his desk, I guess that confirms the lazy part.
pics of him riding in the building or stfu

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I was once a foreign student in the states, as my sisters, and probably like my children will be.

I think there are 2 "problems" for well-off families in developing nations for which the strategy you describe is the default solution.

1) mom/dad make good coin in their 30-40s and keep their kids inside a bubble (even if you dont want to, you have to.... pretty much)... kids grow and get shipped to the US/Europe for college.
just now at age 34 I became to understand, under secret hopes the kids dont actually come back.

the problem is kids come back because they miss family/friends/country... fast forward 10-15 years, kids (like myself now) regret the decision once they face the harsh reality of living in a rough society. money/survival are no longer the main problem, the lack of a mature/safe society in which to raise a family becomes the problem. this is the part were grandkids "have" to be kept in bubbles again, and the cycle continues.

2) once the "money" part of the problem is solved for a family... then next huge "problem" is how to pass this knowledge to your kids and not raising slackers and having your grandkids live off you; or (and this has to be the most feared outcome in life) to have your kids do nothing but wait for you to die to collect an inheritance.

having your kids "figure out" adult life (by having a traditional career) on their own in a different country; and buying them a home in the US are both a long term bet to strenghten the position and hope the kid remains in the US and does not become a slacker.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just bought my 5th house. Used a realtor every time. Piece of mind having someone who knows the legal mumbo-jumbo of purchasing.

That said, if I could find 1800 sq/ft for under $300,000, I'd be rich.,

I just bought 1666 sq/ft for $379,900...
you're in ..... Squamish? is that right?