Hope Mono M4 Disc Brake Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
I live in New Lexington, Ohio

Its a nice small town in the south eastern part of the state. I'm in the foot hills of the Appilation mountains, so we got short steep hills and also long slow decents, where them brakes would come in handy.

The mt bike scene is getting bigger here. There are 3 XC trails with is 45 minuets of my house and they are riders of all sorts all around me.

So if your thinking bout riding in Ohio we got what your looking for, just ask and someone will help ya out.

I live in Pemberton, BC, Canada.
It is Whistler's sister village.
There are forty odd downhill trails which are an easy shuttle (2500ft vert) right out my door....literally they end within five hundred feet of my house. There are two hundred XC trails in the valley.
Whistler is less than 20 miles away.

Yes.
I like it here very much.

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
I live in Cambria, on the central coast of California. I love it here, pine forest along a beautiful beach. Lots of land is reserved for public use, and we are at the southern tip of a marine sanctuary. Great area for a nature lover.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I live in Littleton, CO. Other than the fact that Denver has a bad case of sprawlitis and there are millions of people here, I love it. I grew up in a small'ish town (60k peopl) so Denver as a whole is too big for me. But, I have single track 5 minutes from my front door that stretches for miles and miles. Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine a year, most of those are rideable. I take my trials bike to work with me and hit up the urban stuff during lunch. I try to bike commute to work twice a week too. After work it's single track somewhere. (when I can get a hall pass from the wife) The single track around here isn't what 'the industry' defines as XC. I think they are calling it aggro or some odd name. It's some long climbs followed by long downhills. There isn't a whole lot of flat. Overall it's :thumb:

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen, Denmark. No mountains in Denmark, highest elevation within a 100 km radius is something like 50m/150feet, this sucks, we have to go to Sweden to ride. Everybody rides pushbikes around the Copenhagen, this is good. The chicks are hot, this is also good. This summer is the coldest since 1928, this sucks. I'ts been raining since I got back from Australia three weeks ago, this sucks. The inaugural danish DH cup is being held this year, and if I win the brakes I solemny swear that I will beat the other riders, in a senseless display of mediocre riding, first rate color coordination and stellar fashion sense!!!! I really HOPE :love: this is my lucky day! For once let good looks count for something! Keep the dream alive and keep on truckin'!

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
im from Anacortes Washington, a small one horse town with absolutely nothing to but ride. i hated this place, i thought there was nothing to do until a couple of years ago i picked up my dads 1993 specialized hardrock and went for a ride since then iv been finding better and better trails although i would still prefer to live in a bigger city

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ah, a chance to get my hands on my 7th pair of hopes :devil:

i live in Illinois, a suburb of Chicago to be exact. The local scene is pretty good, we have a killer northshore park, and the urban riding and scene in downtown Chicago is amazing. But i still hate this place, and am moving to CA in a few years

in other news: If BrianHCM#1 wins these brakes i will sh1t myself

roachboy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2002
T dot O
I'm from Toronto, Canada. great town...just wish there was more vertical. Riding here is ok, definitelty not great. They don't call this place Onterible for nothing!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Live in Wacko, TX. The cults seem to like it here. Get to ride the dirt 11 months out of the year except when we get 14 straight days of rain in June. Only have one trail in town. 20+ trails within 100 mile raidius. I could do without the 3 months of 100+ heat indexes, though.

Max Elavation 515ft minimum is probably 450ft.

special O

Chimp
Dec 5, 2002
im in san luis obispo ca and i can look in any direction from my house and find a trail...

oh ya and its always sunny and never rains and there is always a nice breeze in the afternoon to keep ya cool.

oh ya and thanks webcyclery!! and ridemonkey!!

rockin

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Akron Ohio here. Pretty nice place thats centrally located around a couple nice places to ride so i'm diggin it. Closest mountain is prolly Blue knob or something. Going there this weekend as a matter of fact. Built or own DH course in loudonville about an hour and 15 minutes from here and thats where the local races are. I think its around 300' elevation change. Exciting huh? Where theres a will to ride theres a way to ride, ya heard?!

As for the brakes...... MMMMMM I'm running a set of M4's from a while ago. Got em off a friend a while ago for good price and LOVE em. Only one thing wierd. (maybe not bad nore good) is the fact that you have to shim them. After you get them shimmed right you never have to worry again but shimming in the first place can be daunting. over all. I give em a 12 out of 10.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Out of ottawa here. A great city for urban assualt with all the nice parliament and office building down town and afew parks to fLow in. A great crew of Everything from freeriders to BmX guys all hanging out on MTBKanata.com keeping the scene strong and united. And with the Qubec right next door with tons of land to ride and the skill hill Camp Fortune with lifts. Theres is tons of great riding to do. Athough I would be just much better if I had a front brake to slow me down.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
On May 17, 2004 my girlfriend and I left Boston (and pretty much everything and everyone we know) to move 4500 miles away to a place we'd never been before. Fast forward to today: having spent one month so far on the west shore of Lake Tahoe, I can't imagine a better place. I love that it's cheaper than living in the city, I work at the best bike shop ever (Cyclepaths, 1000ft. from my house), everyone I meet has a smile on their face and the best attitude, and I live 2 blocks from Lake Tahoe. But, far and away the best part is the riding.
The best network of trails ever exists in my backyard: epic rides, short afterwork loops, everything. It's also only 25mins to Northstar (which has already destroyed my Kona) and some of the most legendary trails are within 1/2 an hour (Mr. Toad's, The Flume Trail, Hole, etc.).
Come visit and I'll show you around, but I can't promise you'll be able to leave.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I live in a little town called Hojo on the isalnd of Shikoku in Japan. Hojo means northern castle or someting like that. Anyway there isn't a castle here, in fact there isn't much of anything, excepts old farts in little trucks and a Macdonalds. All in all not a bad place, there's definitely worse places to be but there's also better.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I'm from Richmond VA. Moved back here in 2001 after five years in Harrisonburg, where endless singletrack is just a few minutes away. I grew tired of the limited local trails pretty quickly, but thanks to the VA forum here, and also the ride forum at cyclingcentralva.org, I've been doing more group rides over the last 1.5 years, which has really made the riding enjoyable for me again.

It's still nice to get out of town for some epic singletrack on the weekends...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, not yet, but I am getting ready.

I am from california, and everyone knows why it sucks (smog, people, wall-mart, traffic, developers, etc)...

I live in arizona now and I ain't going back to california. The riding scene here is nice, not huge, but we have some great riding. Sedona and Flag are about an hour away, and there are more miles of trails here to explore than I will in a decade. I can't complain much. I wouldn't mind living here, or in utah/colorado later on.

Nappy

Chimp
Apr 3, 2002
Bay Area, Calif
I live in Danville, CA.... It's overall a nice area to live if you can afford to buy something other than a renovated garage. The people are generally nice but lacking cultural diversity and some tend to be a bit stuck-up or have been hiding under a rock for the last 20 years. A lot of cute girls and MILFS are in this town but unfortunately, as I mentioned above, sometimes a bit too into themselves. :)

The downside of living here or this area is lack of good, fun, challenging, technical and legal trails. Everything is at least an hour drive away and even that stuff gets old or is being threatend for closure. :angry:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I was born and have always lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It's a pretty cool 'town' for the most part. It's within a couple hours of all the sweet ski resorts in Colorado, Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, Aspen, Winter Park, etc... which also means that in the summer time there are some sweet places to go downhilling. But locally there isnt a whole lot of riding like that except for this area in the middle of town called Palmer Park. A lot of it seems to be made out of sandstone and granite, so there are some fun trails to shuttle there as well as some good drops and jumps. Unfortunately I dont have my driver's license yet (in October I will) so most of the time I just have to find stuff around me locally. For the most part its almost all suburban with houses, NOT the best place for riding. But I manage. Also, another good thing about Colorado Springs is that its within a few miles from Pikes Peak, which gives a beautiful view of the mountains from almost anywhere in town. And as we all know, its close to Manitou Springs original home of Manitou Suspension. It's also the home of USA Cycling, along with the U.S. Olympic Training Center.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I live in Québec city.

I like it a lot because it's a pretty relax city and it's not crazy expensive to live here. For the non-winter part of the year, the riding is really nice here. We have Mont-Ste-Anne at ~35mins from downtown Québec (where I live) where we can find awesome DH and XC trails...and there are just too many nice XC trails all around the city (within a 15 minutes drive). Basically, I find that the riding here is nice enough to justify living here for a long time. :)

Then there's the winter. It's cold, it's windy, it's long and most people says it simply sucks...but I tend to disagree. Sure it would be nice to be able to ride my bike all year long, but snowshoeing, alpine skiing, snowboarding, XC skiing, etc are very sweet sports too...and it forces you to diversify your activities, which is a good thing in my opinion.
:)

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
Wow, how cool of Webcyclery & Ridemonkey to do something like this! Anyways, I'm living in Terrace BC (born and raised), which is about 14 hours north of Van/Whistler. Its a small town of about 25,000, and I never used to like it when I was a teenager, but I've grown to see the beauty of the area. Theres some really amazing singletrack and we've got our own little north shore mountain evolving with some siiiiick trails. Maybe one day I'll move to squamish, just to be closer to whistler and Vancouver.

Cheers, and good luck to me! (i've never even tried a set of hopes, all i've known is hayes :dancing: ) :D

I live in Santa Cruz, California, and love where I live. It would be hard to think of a better place. Its beatiful, with the coast right there are the mountains just minutes away. The culture in SC is awesome, we have some really weird people :p Its location realtive to other biking destinations is factastic, a few hours away from Tahoe, and a long day of driving to get to BC. We may not have the best trails, but they are great, and ridable year round (to a extent) I guess the only place I would really consider moving to is whistler, or perhaps up to tahoe, but I dought it :thumb:

Liven in Davis, CA.
Why?....Babes, bikes and beer of course! What else is there to make a town good?
Of yeah, the not so good part....no dirt trails within half hour drive.

I'd use these brakes to slow my enormous arse down instead of using unsuspecting equestrians and hikers to slam into to decrease velocity. :mumble:

dangle7

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
i live in canada
i live in the southeast quadrant of calgary, which is tight because there are some pretty wicked "suburban assault" areas to session, as well as a short trip on the train to down town for some real riding. aside from street riding, there is also a plethera of natural trails in fish creek park, and some man made ones at cop. aside from it's biking appeal, calgary was the home of the 1988 olympics, and the infamous calgary flames, not to mention some smokin hot women, and the stampede.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
Well i live near Raliegh(sp) Nc and where i live rocks because im not really in a city so there is still plenty of land available to build and no one cares if you build or ride on there property. there is tons of great places that i can ride my bike to and since i have no car that is something that is needed. it isnt really too hilly around here so you dont have to climb much to get places or when riding trails. but there is still a good amount of terrain that lends itself to building some pretty cool stuff. Also almost everyone around here is bike friendly and doesnt just start screamin at you for bein on the roads or try to run you down. Within about 20 minutes drive we have NC state which has some kickass urban and stairgaps. Everything you could want. And about 45 minutes away we have a really cool guy thats kinda old and i think does some xc riding. but he lives kinda out in the no where but he is renting land from someone and he dovotes ALOT of time and effort towards building a freeride park for everyone in the area to share and enjoy. He also gave us a tour of just about everything in the area in one day since it was our first time going up there. at the freeride park he built and is still continuously building new things on there are tons of nice skinnys. drops jumps teeter totters and just about everything you could imagine. its our own North shore. there are plenty other great people around here to ride with and support you. and for some real Dh stuff. within 3 hours you can ride pisgah and plenty other places out in western nc. and within 6 hours you can go to windrock which i havent been to but seems to be one of the better places on the east coast from what i have seen.

well, I'm from Santa Cruz, california, where trails are awsome and people are clique-ish to the max. right now i go to school in UC Berkeley, so I'm looking for new brakes for my dh bike which is 5 years old now and still has original brakes, and the rear is busted. anyhow, i dislike berkeley for its people and like for its people, it's a love-hate relationship and i seem to get on both sides of it.

it may appear strange to be me from sc and go to school in b-town yet if any of you have browsed through the political debate section you wouldn't have guessed that. but hey, things happen. i love my bikes, i ride now exclusively on my ht ss urban bike, and it's sweet.

if i don't get the brakes i just have to go to work an extra twenty hours to make the money for it, whatever it takes.

take it easy folks, and remember, good intentioned democrats can screw things up just as much as the worst of republicans. so being liberal isn't always right.

rock on

I have been in New Haven, Vermont since 1975, which, in local terms, classifies me as just having arrived.

New Haven is a pretty good town. It's far enough north of Middlebury to avoid the college, and far enough south of Burlington so as not to have to deal with the more pretentious suburbanites.

Trails of one sort or another start oh, forty feet from the garage door. If I set my mind to it, I could make it from here to Burlington staying in the woods most of the way. Our road is still gravel, which slows traffic a little, but covers us in dust when it's dry.

I hold the town selectmen and clerk and listers and other functionaries as friends and at this point that won't change if someone else is elected because I'll know them too. The fire department has long given up on pestering me if I happen to burn some brush or trash or maybe the pole barn I just disassembled.

The Vermont State Police are well trained, civil, and honest. One of them was headed off the other day with lights, siren, etc., so I pulled over to get out of the way and got a thumbs up for a thank you. :thumb: My neighbor was on the force and used to greet me with a flash of the blue lights when we met on the road.

I have lots of good bike shops readily at hand. There are a bunch of local people who are interested in trail building and maintenance.

There's some sun, some rain, and some snow.

New Haven rocks!

J

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
I live in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The bike scene is decent - lucky for me, shortly after I started biking, I fell in with a great group of guys who are actually responsible for building the majority of the legal trail systems in this area, which gave me the opportunity to build and work on trails as well (you get a whole different appreciation for the trails when you put that kind of work into them). We don't have any mountains here, although there are some about 3 hours away, but you can ride all year long (if you don't mind hot humid summers, and occasional snow in the winter). I live far enough outside of town that there are some nice road rides near my home as well.

Apr 26, 2002
Victoria, BC
I am living in Victoria, BC at the moment and love it. While the mountain biking has taken a beating here in the last for years, there are still some great spots to ride. Not only do we have one of the few actual mountain bike parks that the local bike club (SIMBS)is the land steward of, but we have a pretty good bike trail system throughout the city. If you are ever on the Island send me a pm and we can get together....(once I get my bike built however).

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I left New Jersey in 1998 to attend the University of Virginia and I have been living in Charlottesville, Virginia ever since. During my schooling I met a lot of dedicated mountain bikers who feel the same way as I do about riding; the culture, trail maintenance, riding style, etc.

The immediate local mountain bike riding consists of O'hill on University Grounds, Walnut Creek Park, The Rivanna Trail, and the privately owned Panorama Trails. All are within a 15 minute drive and are great to do as after work jaunts. 35 minutes out of town is Sherando Lake Recreation Area which has some good climbs and long descents with loops ranging from 2 hours to epic days of riding. Further out of town, about an hour, is the George Washington National Forrest. Perfect for day trips, this jewel boasts the best riding I've ever experienced; epic long rides, beautiful country, and some of the best singletrack imaginable. Most of it maintained by the good folks from the Shenandaoh Mountain Bike Club, some Charlottesvilians, and the Forrest Service.

There is also spectacular road riding outside of town. About 8 miles from downtown you can find some of the most picturesque roads in the South.

Lift access DH is available ~3 hours away at Snowshoe. Weekend trips to Mountain Creek, Plattekill, and Windrock are easy to do as well.

Charlottesville itself contains a lot of outdoors & active folks who make the city feel healthier than a lot of other cities I've been to. Every day from about 5am until 10pm, you're sure to see runners all around the city and there are a lot of kayakers who make the trip to some of the nation's best rivers in WV as well.

One of the nicest things about the area is how friendly most of the population is. A "Hi" or "How are you" is almost a guarantee from a complete stranger.

All of this probably helped C'ville get rated as the #1 city to live in by numerous publications.

Now if we could just get the 'necks to vote Democrat....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm from Springfield Virginia. I like it here. I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood, and I'm close to DC, a few hours from the mountains, a few hours from the beach, and a few hours from school in Reeshmond.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Orginally I am from around Kansas City Missouri, but in early 1999 my wife and I moved to Little Rock, Arkansas. Besides the killer job I have, I was really amazed at how popular cycling is here in Little Rock. One of the coolest places to ride here is out at the local Army base (Camp Robinson) there the local cycling club made arrangements with the Army for about 45 miles of trails to be cut in one of the training areas they don't use very often. So for $10 a year you get a pass to get you on base and ride as much as you want.

That's my story.......................

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Ridemonkey said:
What you have to do: Post in this thread with a couple sentences about where you are from, how much you like it (or how bad it sucks), and why.
Why? Well, it's Brooklyn, diversity capital of the USA. Lots of cool things to see & people to hang with. Not too far away from some reasonable riding.

Brooklyn Brewery is there, and that's some damn good stuff......
Coney Island is happening...
Tons of good bars & places to eat......

Aight, gimme the brakes.

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
I live on Whidbey Island, been here all my life! We're sitting smack in the middle of Puget Sound. just north of Seattle. It's a tight community, with several few good trail systems. Unfortunately, there's no extended hills to work with (lot's of real short, steep ones though) so we have to drive to get any DH action. Not a problem, though, since we're 2.5 hours from the Shore, and just under 4 to Whistler!! This is a great place to be not too big, not too small. Anyhow, I could use those new brakes, as my Hope C2's are pretty much done at this point! Would look great with my red ano Bulb hubs and black 888 fork and frame.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I live in New Paltz, NY. I love it here because the area is what got me into mountain biking over 10 years ago. It's a somewhat small town with a state college(fresh group of ladies every spring :thumb: ), and good nightlife. World known rockclimbing, a nature preserve, and great scenery make it a great place for people who like the outdoors. I live within an hour and 1/2 from plattekill, diablo, jiminy peak, west mountain(but i don't think they opened this year), and new york city(nice choices of things to do). Also great trail riding 5 minutes from my door.
I need the brakes since I have a 4 year old pair of hayes on my bike now and I ready to join the Hope revolution(that and I have hope hubs and feel i should have the brakes). Now give'm up :D

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
Colorado Springs:
-- Year 'round riding with over 300 days of funshine a year. Hardly ever snows here...maybe 3 to 5 days a year down due to snow.
-- The Crown Jewel of Colorado Springs, 800 acre Palmer Park with 25 miles of trails and the some of the sweetest techno trails anywhere...only 10 minutes from anywhere in town.
-- DH? Start at the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110ft for a non-stop DH run down Barr Trail losing 7,510ft in a short and often technical 12.6 miles. Or try a few of our local favorite DH shuttle runs outfitted with plenty of man made stunts.
-- VERY active...and PROactive cycling and mountain biking community.
-- So many local trails, I haven't ridden them all yet in 5 years of riding. Endless selection of world class trails that are no more than a 15 minute drive from work or home.
-- Huge selection of local bike shops including the home of Colorado Cyclist.
-- Road/Mountain cycling friendly land managers, city planners/officials and Open Space Coalition.
-- Home of Carmichael Training Systems.
-- Home of the US Olympic Training Center.
-- Killer High Altitude training ground...I live, work and ride at around 6,500ft!
-- Six hour drive to Moab. Makes it close enough for a trip or two a year, but not too close that it gets old.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I was born and raised on a farm in west-central Manitoba, Canadia. I lived there till I was 18 and loved it, but there was nothing there for me. I moved out to Calgary, AB for university and have lived here ever since. I like it here quite a bit, the people are super nice, we have virtually zero crime and we have mountains within an hours drive. :) I have COP within a 10 minute drive so I can hit up some lift accessed dhing after work when the weather co-operates. I work DT at an engimeneering company in the oil and gas biz and they pay me with free hot chocolate, shelter for the day, foosball and hot lady co-workers.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I'm from Seattle and i love this city. There's good riding in almost any direction you can point and it's within a few hours from the shore and whistler :D The views are breathtaking from the mountains and I just can't get enough of being out and riding in them.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I live in the bustling metropolis that is Kennewick, WA. It's hot and dusty and dry (A desert in the evergreen state, imagine that.) and I have to drive a couple hours minimum to get to any decent riding. Family and good friends make it worthwhile at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.