Quantcast

Hopefully the down payment on that pyramid is refundable.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
So, the more I've been thinking about this, the more I'm wondering exactly WHY the right seems so intent on the idea that the Muslim Brotherhood is going to take over? By all accounts the protests were started by people who were distinctly NOT MB members, and not even the same demographic (young, non-religious, technically savvy). The MB didn't even start attending these rallies or support them until after the weekend when it was apparent that this was something that had a pretty high likelihood of success. As one of the only (main?) opposition parties, obviously they can gain influence, but it's definitely not a MB-driven "revolution".

So why is the right-wing so determined to put up the MB as the sole driving force behind these protests?

1) Discredit Obama. Can you imagine if the largest country in the Middle East went from dictator to democracy under his presidency?
2) Discredit peaceful protests as a way to gain democracy from a malevolent dictator. Can you imagine if the Egyptians themselves overthrew their dictator and installed democracy without the help of the US (military)? If they accomplish something in a month and with relatively low casualties, that the US couldn't after spending $1.5 trillion and hundreds of thousands of lives lost? Oh god, that's a right-winger's worst nightmare...
3) Cause the revolution to fail, protecting one of their own favorite dictators. The right-wing is fine with dictators, as long as they're friendly to either the US or Israel. Mubarak was both.
4) Protect their other dictators in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, etc?

Dunno, or am I going a little too :tinfoil: here? I mean, the Republicans criticized Obama for not "doing enough" for the Iranian uprising in the summer of 2009, and yet here they're either trying to cause the uprising to fail, or..... ?
Would also fit in with their belief that the MB is trying to take over the world.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yeah, right wing nuts are the ones who're ill-informed, gullible, and quick to jump

what'll she believe next? landoverbaptist? ONN? jon stewart?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Where did I say that Fox News was ill-informed, gullible, or quick to jump?
and where did i say that you said that?

we know what we know, and we know what we think

i can play this game, too.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
alternative thread sub-title "The quick fox jumps over the lazy brown dog"

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
By all accounts the protests were started by people who were distinctly NOT MB members, and not even the same demographic (young, non-religious, technically savvy).
The identities and affinities of people protesting on the streets now have about .0823% to do with what would happen in a democratic (cum theocratic) Egypt.

Edit: I said "cum theocractic." I think $tinkle may have chubbed.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
The key point, though, is that we’re not going to determine what happens in Egypt. Egyptians will decide that. We can only play on the margins. And better to back the side with the winning hand—which, in the long term, will be the people, not an 82-year-old dictator with dynastic aspirations (which have evaporated).

And no, a democratically elected government in Egypt would not be as pliable a partner for the United States as Mubarak’s regime has been. Don’t like it? Tell me exactly how you’d fix it. Invade? We can’t deal with 30 million hillbillies in Afghanistan, let alone Egypt’s 80 million people and its US-equipped military. Let’s talk real options, not talk-show fantasies.

Yes, a democratic Egypt will see the Muslim Brotherhood represented in parliament. Well, guess what? In democratic elections, sometimes Al Franken gets a seat. Better to have the Islamists inside the tent, uh…waving out…than outside shooting in.

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.8572/pub_detail.asp

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I love it when the same people who bitch about the fact that we don't have enough theocracy here get worried about it in other places.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I love it when the same people who bitch about the fact that we don't have enough theocracy here get worried about it in other places.
totally dependent on the shade of god in question.

i'm quite tired of the amateur hour going on in the protests....no suicide bombers yet?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Quite the opposite, actually, which is what always makes me grimace when people tell me how many Muslims the US is killing/out to kill.
that gives me a great idea for a suicide bomber disguise: a purple burqa

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Quite the opposite, actually, which is what always makes me grimace when people tell me how many Muslims the US is killing/out to kill.
Sarcasm called, they said you missed the train. Something about blowing up police forces and markets in Iraq.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Those tricky Islamofascists. They just *want* us to believe that they're not behind all of this........

nytimes said:
For its part, the Brotherhood insisted on Friday that it had no ambitions to field presidential candidates if those talks took place. But, speaking to reporters in Tahrir Square, Mohammed el-Beltagui, a leading member of the outlawed group, said that if Mr. Mubarak left, the Brotherhood — the most organized opposition in the country — would not present a candidate for election.

“It is not a retreat,” Mr. Beltagui said. “It is to take away the scare tactics that Hosni Mubarak uses to deceive the people here and abroad that he should stay in power.” A close ally of the United States, Mr. Mubarak has cast himself for years as a bulwark against Islamic extremism.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/world/middleeast/05egypt.html

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Those tricky Islamofascists. They just *want* us to believe that they're not behind all of this........

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/world/middleeast/05egypt.html
CASSIUS
They shouted thrice: what was the last cry for?
CASCA
Why, for that too.
BRUTUS
Was the crown offered him thrice?
CASCA
Ay, marry, was't, and he put it by thrice, every
time gentler than other, and at every putting-by
mine honest neighbours shouted.
CASSIUS
Who offered him the crown?
CASCA
Why, Antony.
BRUTUS
Tell us the manner of it, gentle Casca.
CASCA
I can as well be hanged as tell the manner of it:
it was mere foolery; I did not mark it. I saw Mark
Antony offer him a crown;--yet 'twas not a crown
neither, 'twas one of these coronets;--and, as I told
you, he put it by once: but, for all that, to my
thinking, he would fain have had it. Then he
offered it to him again; then he put it by again:
but, to my thinking, he was very loath to lay his
fingers off it. And then he offered it the third
time; he put it the third time by: and still as he
refused it, the rabblement hooted and clapped their
chapped hands and threw up their sweaty night-caps
and uttered such a deal of stinking breath because
Caesar refused the crown that it had almost choked
Caesar; for he swounded and fell down at it: and
for mine own part, I durst not laugh, for fear of
opening my lips and receiving the bad air.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
CASSIUS
They shouted thrice: what was the last cry for?
CASCA
Why, for that too.
BRUTUS
Was the crown offered him thrice?
CASCA
Ay, marry, was't, and he put it by thrice, every
time gentler than other, and at every putting-by
mine honest neighbours shouted.
CASSIUS
Who offered him the crown?
CASCA
Why, Antony.
BRUTUS
Tell us the manner of it, gentle Casca.
CASCA
I can as well be hanged as tell the manner of it:
it was mere foolery; I did not mark it. I saw Mark
Antony offer him a crown;--yet 'twas not a crown
neither, 'twas one of these coronets;--and, as I told
you, he put it by once: but, for all that, to my
thinking, he would fain have had it. Then he
offered it to him again; then he put it by again:
but, to my thinking, he was very loath to lay his
fingers off it. And then he offered it the third
time; he put it the third time by: and still as he
refused it, the rabblement hooted and clapped their
chapped hands and threw up their sweaty night-caps
and uttered such a deal of stinking breath because
Caesar refused the crown that it had almost choked
Caesar; for he swounded and fell down at it: and
for mine own part, I durst not laugh, for fear of
opening my lips and receiving the bad air.
For some reason, I picture you wearing a beret while typing this.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hm, "must spread" works for neg rep too? (Only neg rep I've ever tried to spread!)

I was also gonna pos-rep the Hamburgular thing, but apparently I've just been kissing too much AAss lately to do anything.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If it doesn't happen, there's going to be a full-scale riot/revolt in Egypt tonight...

I also heard conflicting reports that said he was going to be stepping down and allowing his (hand-picked) VP to take his place. If that's the case, I'd be concerned that it'll be "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" business as usual. Forcing a dictator out of power is relatively easy to coming up with a new constitution... even our Revolutionary War (6 years) took about as long as it did for us to come up with a workable Constitution (6 years).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If it doesn't happen, there's going to be a full-scale riot/revolt in Egypt tonight...

I also heard conflicting reports that said he was going to be stepping down and allowing his (hand-picked) VP to take his place. If that's the case, I'd be concerned that it'll be "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" business as usual.
Russia basically did that and didnt bat a eye, but i think it would be real bad if it happened here.