Quantcast

Hopefully the down payment on that pyramid is refundable.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
According to Al Jazeera the military has stepped in, prevented Mubarak from handing power to his VP, and is going to take control until a transition to a different government can take place...............

I guess the main question now is what does the military do? Do they hold power until a new Constitution/government is set up, or do they hold it indefinitely?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
According to Al Jazeera the military has stepped in, prevented Mubarak from handing power to his VP, and is going to take control until a transition to a different government can take place...............

I guess the main question now is what does the military do? Do they hold power until a new Constitution/government is set up, or do they hold it indefinitely?
listen to what America says probably.
giving power to the VP would be a slap in the people's face

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
cnn: maybe a better interpreter would be a good idea

edit: ouch. i guess he really didnt listen to the people

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
He said absolutely nothing new. Zilch. He didn't even commit to getting rid of the emergency powers, or at least it seemed that way from the English translation: He *might* at some point, *suggest* bringing up a bill that *possibly* reduces or eliminates emergency powers, blah blah blah.

Al Jazeera was showing the crowds in a split screen with Mubarak, and they DEFINITELY did not take it well.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Al Jazeera is stating that a massive crowd left the protest area after the speech and is now heading towards the local military base.........
and to the National TV station

edit: no chance for a military coup either since they apparently are all sheeple

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I think sh*t may be about to get real over there. Tahrir Square the new Tienanmen Square? Look for more "Made in the USA" freedom suppression tools to go into effect real soon. :tinfoil:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think sh*t may be about to get real over there. Tahrir Square the new Tienanmen Square? Look for more "Made in the USA" freedom suppression tools to go into effect real soon. :tinfoil:
obama means well....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
I'm kind of amazed at the fact that the teabaggers *aren't* supporting this. I mean, their whole "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" thing fits PERFECTLY HERE!!

stevew said:
obama means well....
I'll take this approach over a decade-long, trillion-dollar war where we'll be "welcomed as liberators" personally... Obviously you might feel differently.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'll take this approach over a decade-long, trillion-dollar war where we'll be "welcomed as liberators" personally... Obviously you might feel differently.
dante....i sincerely hope the people of egypt are happy with the dictator of their choosing.

the chance of it being anything else is slim to none.

i hope i'm wrong.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't think the military would let that happen.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
dante....i sincerely hope the people of egypt are happy with the dictator of their choosing.

the chance of it being anything else is slim to none.

i hope i'm wrong.
Well, the Egyptians definitely didn't want the dictator they had, and are willing to risk the possibility of something worse for the chance of something far, far better. It's just interesting that Freedom® was such an important concept that conservative after conservative stood up and said "Iraq was worth it", because even though we've spent $1 trillion plus, and had thousands die, Iraq now has some semblance of democracy.

But tens of millions of people marching in the streets for their own freedom? That's obviously a Muslim plot...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well, the Egyptians definitely didn't want the dictator they had, and are willing to risk the possibility of something worse for the chance of something far, far better. It's just interesting that Freedom® was such an important concept that conservative after conservative stood up and said "Iraq was worth it", because even though we've spent $1 trillion plus, and had thousands die, Iraq now has some semblance of democracy.

But tens of millions of people marching in the streets for their own freedom? That's obviously a Muslim plot...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
What gets me is that although there's currently a schism in the GOP as to whether to support these protesters (Bill Kristol stating we should support the protesters, and Beck stating that we should pretty much back Mubarak) they're not the positions that I would have guessed.

Beck and his Tea Party idiots talk frequently about 2nd Amendment remedies, and how "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". Yet when we have a group of patriots (nationalists) who actually *are* standing up to a tyrant, and are offering to give their blood (and that of Mubarak) in order to obtain freedom, suddenly these tea party dipsh!ts back the tyrant over the patriots.

Bill Kristol is "old-school neoconservative," one of the types of Republicans who has advocated both a) military intervention to "promote democracy" as well as b) supporting dictators who back US policies (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, etc). Yet Kristol is the one stating that we should stand by people fighting for democracy, even if what transpires may not be as closely aligned with US interests...

Dunno. I guess all the Republicans can at least agree on one thing: Whatever Obama is doing, it's the wrong approach. :)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Also, check out the comments in the (liberal) Haaretz story. There are far more positive than negative comments...

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/mubarak-resigns-as-egypt-s-president-hands-power-to-army-1.342808

Edit: especially comments like this:

Isaac said:
Congratulations to the courageous democracy movement in Egypt! I wish the government of my country (the U.S.) had not supported the dictatorship for 30 years! I have grown up understanding that part of my Jewish identity means siding with the oppressed, with the poor, with people struggling for their freedom. This is a great day for Egypt and for all of humanity. A movement toward democracy is good for the entire region.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
great line from a local from CNN:

"i dont care how much i lost (during the protest), im looking forward to how much im going to make"

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
You know, from a political standpoint, Mubarak's actions couldn't have been better for Obama. Yesterday, when it looked like Mubarak was going to relinquish control later that day, the right was resigned to accepting that something good, somewhere might actually happen on Obama's watch. And then Mubarak pulled his stunt last night, refusing to step down, and the right wing went NUTS!!! They claimed it showed the White House in Disarray, or that Obama should do far more, or possibly far less, I'm not really sure which. But regardless, the right-wing was going crazy, criticizing Obama for everything under the sun.

Then barely 12 hours later it's over, Mubarak and Suleiman have left, the media is consumed with joyous pictures/video of Egyptians celebrating in the streets, and all of the right wing's "experts" on the situation were left looking completely ridiculous.

I honestly couldn't have written a better script.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
One of my friends posted this on my Facebook wall...

Does anybody really believe a 30 year regime can be overthrown in less then 3 weeks by a few people protesting in the city?
There is a word for folks that believe such things...
So it's all make believe so the new world order can take over. :think:

I dunno what to make of this. I told him his tinfoil hat was too tight.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
"A few"? And I bet he thinks that there were 1 million people at Glenn Beck's rally in DC too, right?

When *actual* millions show up to protest, and your country is losing ~$310 million / day due to strikes/protests, and your stock market crashed 16% before being halted (due to protests), guess what... Regimes fall.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Same here. I think The_Joker just works with a bunch of :tinfoil:. We're at a time when any warfare is extremely economically devastating. It's why, for all their blustering, Israel hasn't attacked Iran (physically) and Iran hasn't attacked Israel.

So Mark, $20, 5-1 odds on whether Israel and Egypt go to war in the next year? Payout on 2/1/2013 or when they go to war, whichever comes first?
So Joker, now that the military has taken over and reassured the Israelis that the peace accord is still in effect, are your coworkers still partying (in fear) like it's 1979? Or have they just dropped the subject and moved on to the next BIG SCARY THING®?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So Joker, now that the military has taken over and reassured the Israelis that the peace accord is still in effect, are your coworkers still partying (in fear) like it's 1979? Or have they just dropped the subject and moved on to the next BIG SCARY THING®?
Don't we always? And as for the bet, the one person that took me up on it just quit... so, yeah.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There was a pretty good piece about this on This American Life last week or maybe the week before. Religous nut jobs aren't meshing too well with the "liberals" (whatever that means in Egypt) and others who's world views are based in fact. Not that much different than the United States really, except for fewer obese people.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
geezwho'dathunkit?

Soooo cliche. Military trying to hold on to power a bit too long with possibly real or maybe superficial dedication to secularism, pluralism, individual rights, and prevention of a permanent and repressive religious dictatorship arising out of a brief democratic conception. And Islamists not liking it.

Where's reality? Do Islamists just want their chance to be heard among many voices? I sincerely doubt it. These are the kind of people who want governments to have the power to prosecute and possibly mutilate or execute people who sketch cartoons they find objectionable. My money is firmly in the "we want the opportunity to have one election in which to permanently cement ourselves in power."

Then again, who ISN'T on that bandwagon in Egyptian politics?? The military is sure showing themselves to be...and even if their desires are sincere, they will end up stalling forever because Egyptian society writ large (including the vast majorities of ill-educated, fundamentally religious people outside the city) may simply not be able to meet their ideals of a democratic electorate within the next 200 years...

Anyhow, forget the Iran metaphors for a second because it's starting more to resemble Turkey's quandry. (Which itself has Iranian overtones, but still...)

Sidebar:
In much/most of the world, when "democracy" arrives, it's just seen as a one-shot chance to run the show in perpetuity. When I was in a small African country for a few years, it was really a revelation to see the ruling party absorbing all governmental functions to sustain and benefit itself while openly prosecuting, when not murdering (behind only the thinnest of veils) political opponents under the legal charge of "destabilizing government" without a shred of irony. It came down to a shockingly earnest stance of "We are the government, so saying or doing anything which will hurt our chances in the coming election, like honest journalism or running against us, is de facto anti-government action." Followed by a wide-eyed look around the room at the shocked Europeans and North Americans, saying a wounded, "What? What don't you get about it?? We won the last election!!"

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The Muslim Brotherhood president is trying to usurp democracy with a series of thinly-veiled excuses and cement an Islamist-fundamentalist regime in perpetuity? Color me SHOCKED!