Quantcast

House hunting.....I'm so depressed :(

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Julie and I started to house hunt the last few weeks and I am so depressed seeing whats out there. Everything in the area we want to live in goes from $800K-2mil+ The $800K houses are smaller than the house we're curently in, my dad found a house for us for $874K, which was almost everything we wanted 5 bed 3 bath, 3 car garage, but the lot was a little too small and now is pending sale. Julie found this nice little fixer upper for $879K, that basicly need to be leveled, people are already doing that on that street, but thats a lot for a 1/4 acre piece of land :( Guess I'll still search and stay depressed :think: :( I can't figure out how people are even affording these homes, Julie & I don't make awesome money but we are very comfortable. How the hell do these people do it:confused:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I hear ya dud, it's the same sheit on this side as well. You can't buy anything but an abolute sh*tbox in Massachusetts for under $350k
My house was 230k new, but you know about all the horrorshow stories. Plus I live in Worcester, which is a "LESS THAN PHUCKING DESIRABLE" place to live. Me and my wife make over 3 fig's and couldn't even afford 300k. Average house in this piece of sh*t state goes for about 400k. WTF? I say the same thing. Where the phuck do these people work. I thought I made good bling, I don't. It's the demise of modern American society buddy. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the middle class is slowly but surely being phased out. Yeah, the USA is the best place in the world to live ha? Sometimes I hate this country.
Knuck

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
If I would show you what you could get where I live for that money... you would fall off your seat!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Our neighbor (2 doors down) just sold their home for $15,000 over the asking price and for a whole lot more than we paid for ours. Their house is smaller, has less land and no road frontage and it went for over 200K!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
move away from the coasts. supply and demand, and i bet the midwest has been in a low demand slump for decades...

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Brian HCM#1 said:
Julie and I started to house hunt the last few weeks and I am so depressed seeing whats out there. Everything in the area we want to live in goes from $800K-2mil+ The $800K houses are smaller than the house we're curently in, my dad found a house for us for $874K, which was almost everything we wanted 5 bed 3 bath, 3 car garage, but the lot was a little too small and now is pending sale. Julie found this nice little fixer upper for $879K, that basicly need to be leveled, people are already doing that on that street, but thats a lot for a 1/4 acre piece of land :( Guess I'll still search and stay depressed :think: :( I can't figure out how people are even affording these homes, Julie & I don't make awesome money but we are very comfortable. How the hell do these people do it:confused:

what do you have now?
why do you need/want to move?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Brian HCM#1 said:
How the hell do these people do it:confused:
Take out an insane loan with almost zero down, adjustable rate, and interest only payments for a couple years. It's a HUGE bet that they'll be making a lot more money in a few years when they need to start making principal payments too. Is there any way you can stay in your current home for a couple more years?

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Knuckleslammer said:
Yeah, the USA is the best place in the world to live ha? Sometimes I hate this country.
Knuck

It's not just the USA, we just moved out of North Vancouver for the same reason. Tiny two bedroom fixer upper ranchers were starting at $525k in our neighbourhood..and this was in the so so area. Even if we could afford it, I just don't want to pay that much for a tiny house with no land. It sucks that we're at the point where it's hard to provide basic needs for yourself and family. :angry:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
douglas said:
what do you have now?
why do you need/want to move?
I live in a 4 bed 3 bath 2200 sf house its too small for our family, its a newer house and there is no storage space, but the main reason we want to leave is the place we want to go have better schools.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
reflux said:
Take out an insane loan with almost zero down, adjustable rate, and interest only payments for a couple years. It's a HUGE bet that they'll be making a lot more money in a few years when they need to start making principal payments too. Is there any way you can stay in your current home for a couple more years?
This is exactly WHY the homes cost so much here. Owning a home isn't about having a place to live/have a family anymore, its about huge profit for the lucky few :angry:

EAT THE RICH

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Yeah, I agree it is depressing!! I was practically pulling my hair out when I went house hunting with 2 toddlers and a newborn and EVERYTHING that was within our price range was a disgusting rat's nest.
We finally decided to move farther out and the day after Christmas we found one and I finally just gave up and said, "It'll do". We paid $224 for an 1800 square foot house 3 yrs ago and now the houses in our neighborhood are going in the low $400s. I'm really dreading looking for a move-up house b/c we're going to grow out of this one soon enough.

I think the bottom line is that no matter where you are, if you're close to a big city, you're going to pay the higher prices. Midwest isn't as bad but still high if you're closer to the capitals.

Good luck and I hope you're able to find what you're looking for!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
reflux said:
Or a neg am loan...those are going to come back and bite people in the ass...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Zark said:
This is exactly WHY the homes cost so much here. Owning a home isn't about having a place to live/have a family anymore, its about huge profit for the lucky few :angry:

EAT THE RICH
I went to an econ seminar last January and the speaker mentioned the same deal. If the cost of housing does not become more affordable for the "average" homebuyer, the real estate market is going to be dominated by a bunch of old affluent men patting themselves on the back, congratulating each other on their respective wealth. (my response: chx f*ckrs)

How was your Fiesta? Unfortunately I had to leave early and missed the beater bash, thanks for the pics though.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Brian HCM#1 said:

Oh boo hoo! poor little rich kid...waaaahhhhh! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
Brian HCM#1 said:
How the hell do these people do it:confused:
well, maybe the same way i did it...
bought a townhouse about 6 yrs ago for $109k and sold it last year for $285k. even though my wife and i make ok money, there's no way we would have been able to save the 20% down and still be able to paint, etc. the inside of house we just bought.

oh, i'm in LA so prices are pretty outrageous here too

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Cursor said:
well, maybe the same way i did it...
bought a townhouse about 6 yrs ago for $109k and sold it last year for $285k. even though my wife and i make ok money, there's no way we would have been able to save the 20% down and still be able to paint, etc. the inside of house we just bought.

oh, i'm in LA so prices are pretty outrageous here too
We bought our place for $275K, now it would go for $675K and I should have about $400K+ to put down on the next one, its the taxes is whats the killer :mumble: it would be almost $1K a month. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
Brian HCM#1 said:
We bought our place for $275K, now it would go for $675K and I should have about $400K+ to put down on the next one, its the taxes is whats the killer :mumble: it would be almost $1K a month. :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
yup. the last time my house was assessed was when it was originally sold back in '65. so it was reassessed when i bought it and i was slapped with a supplemental prop. tax bill for an additional $4k........and they already have $6k included in my mortgage payment for the year :mumble:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Brian HCM#1 said:
property taxes are that high??? f**k. :dead:

at least you still have your bikes... for now.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
reflux said:
How was your Fiesta? Unfortunately I had to leave early and missed the beater bash, thanks for the pics though.
Off the hook, crazy wild partying and hooking up with impressionable drunk girls :p

how was yours :devil:

I have a ton more pics, I'll post some later today when I have a chance.

Brian, I hope you can find something reasonable out there bro!

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
REDUCED! Gorgeous Home, 30'x60' Shop, 2+ Acres Price: $349,900
100% Match This is 5 of 16 found.
Contact Bianco • Print Flyer • More Photos
MLS #: 21-0724 (please refer to this number when contacting our office)

Type: Single Family
Style: Ranch
Bedroom(s): 5
Bathroom(s): 4
Heating: Propane

Year Built: 2002
1st Floor Sq Ft: 2000
2nd Floor Sq Ft: 240
Basement Sq Ft: 2000
Total Sq Ft: 4240
Features:

Formal Living Room: Yes
Formal Dining Room: Yes
Family Room: Yes
Office/Den: Yes
Rec Room: Yes

Garage(s): 2 attached
Fireplace(s): 1
Air: Central
Photos:
Make a selection from this drop down menu to view various photographs of this property.

Additional Features:
WOW! This home had a huge price reduction of over $15,000! Do you want privacy? This spectacular ranch style home sits on 2.25 acres and has everything you could want, including a 30’ x 60’ heated shop, hot tub, zoned heating & surround sound! The main level of this home has 2,000 sq. ft. of living space with tall cathedral ceilings, a very open floor plan & architecturally designed arches above the doorways. There is a big foyer w/closet, large formal dining room w/wood laminate floors, an extra- large oak kitchen w/huge center island, double ovens, pantry, lots of cabinet & counter space, informal dining area & recessed lighting, living room w/corner gas fireplace, sliding door to the massive deck & surround sound throughout the house (including the bathrooms & deck!), main floor laundry room, 3 bedrooms, including the master suite & 3 bathrooms, including the master bath. The master suite is HUGE and includes a large walk-in closet, sliding door to the back deck & a spacious full bathroom w/whirlpool tub. Upstairs is a loft above the garage which could be used as the 6th bedroom or a large office or bonus room. The lower level is completely finished w/another 2,000 sq. ft. and includes daylight windows, a full wet bar w/sit-at counter, rec room, spacious family room, huge storage room, 2 more large bedrooms & 1 more full bathroom. Everything in this home is "grand". It is definetly a must see! Call Darcy today at 400-1100 for a private showing!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dh girlie said:
You just need more space for bike stuff...don't lie
I do need more space for my bikes, as well as my weight set, but you've been in our house, theres no place to put anything, thats the biggest problem, plus I share a storage locker with my parents and thats full.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Brian HCM#1 said:
I do need more space for my bikes, as well as my weight set, but you've been in our house, theres no place to put anything, thats the biggest problem, plus I share a storage locker with my parents and thats full.

Hmmm...perhaps a bigger storage locker? Or store some of that stuff at that 'cabin' that looks like a big huge beautiful home in Tahoe? :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dh girlie said:
Hmmm...perhaps a bigger storage locker? Or store some of that stuff at that 'cabin' that looks like a big huge beautiful home in Tahoe? :D
I don't want to fill that place up with junk, Julie brings enough crap up there the way it is.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Holy sh*t people - only 400k in equity?! I thought CO was suppossed to be an expensive place to live - you could buy a pimp *ss place here with a few acres for less than that. I understand better now why my friend who lives in the Bay area wants to move here.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
s1ngletrack said:
Holy sh*t people - only 400k in equity?! I thought CO was suppossed to be an expensive place to live - you could buy a pimp *ss place here with a few acres for less than that. I understand better now why my friend who lives in the Bay area wants to move here.
A lot of people want to take the money they make here and run to another state, problem is once you leave its difficult to be able to afford to come back.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
reflux said:
Bam. You hit it right on the head there. This is an awful time to buy. If you can wait a few years you will find that these homes that are going for 800,000 are going to be going for 600,000. And it's because these people are really taking out huge loans that they cannot afford. The banks are going to forclose and then sell the houses much cheaper than they we're bought for. Sadly all that most people see is an expensive house that they think will appreciate in value in 2 years and then they can sell it for more. The sad reality is that the real estate market fluctuates up and down a lot. It's up now, but it's going to go down in a few years.

I do totally understand about the outragous prices though. I live in So Cal and there is no way in hell that the GF and I are going to be able to afford anything that is not in the ghetto. And we are putting away 500.00 a month each too! Sadly, in three years when we want to start looking at houses we'll only have 36 K in the bank. And that's no where even close to a real down payment. We're going to have to rely on parental donations, and we are going to have to get out of California. Of course, geting out of CA is not a bad thing, relying on parentals is a bad thing..

Of course, the Bay Area, and San Diego (Which is where the GF's parents live, and which is where they want us to move to) have some of the highest priced property in the nation. It sucks. I feel for ya.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
do like I did....move into that big Denali of yours for a few years...save $$ then buy a new house! (well I never got to the buy a new house part- and probably never will.)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Prices aren't dropping here at all, I know the real estate market her very well, and prices have been on a steady rise the last 10 years, even with the Dot.com bust a few years back our area was not even effected, the housing market continued to climb. It may level off for a bit but it wont go down. I gotta jump in while I can. We bought a place in Tahoe last summer for $545K and within a year its appreciated at least $100K. Thats good because its investment property, and if things stay the same, that place should be worth over a mil within the next 10-15 years.