Quantcast

House hunting.....I'm so depressed :(

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This is a reason I think I'll like the job I'm (hopefully) getting now...involves moving all over the US and world at intervals of 2-3 years, with overseas housing paid for. No need to stress over buying a house (and seeing as I live in San Diego now, that's major stress and/or compromise!). I guess it won't leave much when I retire, but hopefully I'll have saved enough/have enough retirement pay to buy a house somewhere lonely when it's all said and done.

MD

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
s1ngletrack said:
Dude that's rough - I had pictured (no offense) some rich guy whining about not being able to find a house with a 6 car garage in his price range "Oh dear, I fear that I will have to decide whether to park the NSX or the 7 Series outside" - A house like that would probably go for 300k or so around here - I guess ignorance is bliss.
Yep, its just hard to justify spending that much for something like that. Heres a large house on a half an acre :mumble:

http://www.prurealty.com/property_search/property_detail.aspx?listingID=1-40005638

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ciaran said:
The sad reality is that the real estate market fluctuates up and down a lot. It's up now, but it's going to go down in a few years.
Good point. Here in OC the median price of a house just passed 500k (yeah, I know, still below parts of LA, the Bay Area and SB, but still high). The general population has become so infatuated (sp?) with the high appreciation rates of real estate, they forget the fact that back in the 80s (maybe early 90s too?), the real estate market in OC was in the sh1tter. If you wanted to cash out and move elsewhere, you were looking at taking a big loss. I don't know who posted it, but someone mentioned negative equity--damn fine point, I totally forgot.

If I ever decide to drop my gig and do something else, I'd definitely think about getting in the foreclosure business. A family friend did that for a year--he'd get a list of debtors behind on their payments, setup a meeting, and offer them cash plus the debt relief. It's competitive, but he was telling me that the earnings potential was based on his effort: he got what he put in.

Yeah, I think too much.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Garage: Attached Garage;Internet Access From Garage
:p:p:p

You really need to move away from CA. Once you leave you will never want to live there ever again.

I used to live in Oxnard and Ventura so I know of what I speak.
I love CA though, there is so much to do here, I can never give it up. The one advantage of owning a house here its an investment that will almost guaranty a nice profit when you sell a few years down the road. You won't see that however in the majority of the states, people don't make quite the money we do here and property here moves relatively quick.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Brian HCM#1 said:
I love CA though, there is so much to do here, I can never give it up. The one advantage of owning a house here its an investment that will almost guaranty a nice profit when you sell a few years down the road. You won't see that however in the majority of the states, people don't make quite the money we do here and property here moves relatively quick.

Well, I do know poeple who got burned bad in the early 90's CA market.

We have relativily the same rate of appreciation here in LA except it costs a lot less to get in.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Well, I do know poeple who got burned bad in the early 90's CA market.

We have relativily the same rate of appreciation here in LA except it costs a lot less to get in.
Thats when we got hit VERY hard during the recession the late 80's early 90's. I would be supprised to see it get as bad, at least for a very long time.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Tough spot to be in Brian. A friend of my just moved from CA to North Carolina based mostly on housing.

Here's a sample of one here going for 415k. 40 mins from 3 different lakes, 2+ hours to Plattekill, 4 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, 3 car garage and the best schools in the area.

Link

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Mike B. said:
Tough spot to be in Brian. A friend of my just moved from CA to North Carolina based mostly on housing.

Here's a sample of one here going for 415k. 40 mins from 3 different lakes, 2+ hours to Plattekill, 4 bedrooms, 4.5 baths, 3 car garage and the best schools in the area.

Link
Damn we could pay cash for that one:(

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Prices aren't dropping here at all, I know the real estate market her very well, and prices have been on a steady rise the last 10 years, even with the Dot.com bust a few years back our area was not even effected, the housing market continued to climb. It may level off for a bit but it wont go down. I gotta jump in while I can. We bought a place in Tahoe last summer for $545K and within a year its appreciated at least $100K. Thats good because its investment property, and if things stay the same, that place should be worth over a mil within the next 10-15 years.

While I respect and bow to your local knowledge.... Umm... I will have to take this position based on this post...

Aww, man, freaking rich people always whining. You sound like my GF's dad... "Waaaah, we only have a million dollar home on the beach and we might actually have to work (read: Lift a finger) to get the 500,000 grand to invest in the new high rise apartments next to the new stadium. How shall we ever manage?!" :nopity:

Sheesh, man try making it on less than 100K a year total from both people.

Actually I understand the need for investments and managing your money now while you are young. No one wants to work when they are 60. But still, your situation is really depressing to people like me who don't have much other than their education, and a crappy job. Waaah! ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ciaran said:
While I respect and bow to your local knowledge.... Umm... I will have to take this position based on this post...

Aww, man, freaking rich people always whining. You sound like my GF's dad... "Waaaah, we only have a million dollar home on the beach and we might actually have to work (read: Lift a finger) to get the 500,000 grand to invest in the new high rise apartments next to the new stadium. How shall we ever manage?!" :nopity:

Sheesh, man try making it on less than 100K a year total from both people.

Actually I understand the need for investments and managing your money now while you are young. No one wants to work when they are 60. But still, your situation is really depressing to people like me who don't have much other than their education, and a crappy job. Waaah! ;)
I'm by any means rich, we live comfortably but its just the way it is here, my wife and I worked hard to get to where were at today. My wife has her degree and I have none, just a few years of college and thats it she only makes about $7K a year more than me, I could make more if I want but choose to have some family time. Its all depends on the type of work you want to do, the $ is out there to be made.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
N8 said:
You really need to move away from CA. Once you leave you will never want to live there ever again.

Leaving Oxnard and never looking back is totally understandable.

We're moving to Santa Rosa. We hope to buy land and build a home, and that is virtually impossible in the east bay now. I love Oakland but $900k for a small two bedroom house with sh*tty local schools is retarded. I pulled my daughter out of the Oakland district half way through last year and we are home schooling her till we move in the fall.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
bomberz1qr20 said:
Leaving Oxnard and never looking back is totally understandable.

We're moving to Santa Rosa. We hope to buy land and build a home, and that is virtually impossible in the east bay now. I love Oakland but $900k for a small two bedroom house with sh*tty local schools is retarded. I pulled my daughter out of the Oakland district half way through last year and we are home schooling her till we move in the fall.
Oakland schools suck.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'm by any means rich, we live comfortably but its just the way it is here, my wife and I worked hard to get to where were at today. My wife has her degree and I have none, just a few years of college and thats it she only makes about $7K a year more than me, I could make more if I want but choose to have some family time. Its all depends on the type of work you want to do, the $ is out there to be made.
Absolutely, I know what you mean. Sounds to me like you work for your money. RICH is when your money works for you, not the other way around. I was just giving you a little class warrior sh*t. All in fun, you know.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ciaran said:
Absolutely, I know what you mean. Sounds to me like you work for your money. RICH is when your money works for you, not the other way around. I was just giving you a little class warrior sh*t. All in fun, you know.
No prob, believe me I want to be very rich and am trying to work towards it everyday. Then have my $ make more $ for me while I'm laying on some beach with my wife :thumb:

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
N8 said:
Garage: Attached Garage;Internet Access From Garage
:p:p:p

Word. I am originally from Georgia and being out here, it is a total culture shock. I'm not used to seeing a dozen $100k+ cars rolling out on PCH every mile in the Laguna/Newport Beach area; in fact, I'm more used to seeing beat up pick up trucks and junk cars that still run (at least barely). I am dumbfounded on how these people actually have the dough to have a nice car (a pair of $50k cars), a small house (1 mil for a 2k sq. ft. house in Laguna), and a purebred dog Fido with a family income of ~$130k. Also, this "materialistic" way of life has spread on to some of my friends who live here. One friend that I know is planning on going from an old mid '80s Toyota Camry (and it still runs good) to a Mercedes SLK 320, Z3, or similar. :think:

Yeah, granted, it was real cool living out here, but the bottom line is that it is ridiculously too expensive to be able live decently out here without having to live in a small apartment or house. The best way, IMO, is to start someplace small where you can get your feet solidly on the ground (i.e., small house in GA, save up $, and basically go from there).

Ciaran said:
Bam. You hit it right on the head there. This is an awful time to buy. If you can wait a few years...
This happened in the eighties and it will happen again. Prices got way inflated and then the bottom fell out of the housing market. Brian, stick with what you have got until you find something you can actually afford.

J

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Mocha said:
It's not just the USA, we just moved out of North Vancouver for the same reason. Tiny two bedroom fixer upper ranchers were starting at $525k in our neighbourhood..and this was in the so so area. Even if we could afford it, I just don't want to pay that much for a tiny house with no land. It sucks that we're at the point where it's hard to provide basic needs for yourself and family. :angry:
I'm gonna cry. I want to stay here so badly but similar pricing up here. Well..no ranches though. I am tempted to say **** it and move to sun peaks...if only I could talk my gf into moving further from the city .... haha...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
johnbryanpeters said:
This happened in the eighties and it will happen again. Prices got way inflated and then the bottom fell out of the housing market. Brian, stick with what you have got until you find something you can actually afford.

J
I know where we need to be at, however prices won't drop much if any over the next several years. We're not in any huge rush right now, we aren't planning on the serious shopping till after the first of the year. They are finally building 21 homes in a vacant lot next to my house which some will be bigger and should actually increase our property value at least $25K right off the bat. We plan on hitting the market real hard after the first of the year. Right now we're just seeing what out there,and if the right house comes along we'll jump on it, until then we will continue to look.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Brian HCM#1 said:
I do need more space for my bikes, as well as my weight set, but you've been in our house, theres no place to put anything, thats the biggest problem, plus I share a storage locker with my parents and thats full.
dude...simplify yr life. you don't need all the toys, even though that is what the american dream consists of, and is rammed down our throats 24-7. when we moved to ireland, our house size was about 1/2 of what we have in the US, w/ no garage or basement (just a 4x6 shed in the back). the absolute crazy thing is that the dublin house we lived in was worth easily $1.75 million US. :confused:

anyway, it's not an easy thing to do but guess what? we didn't die, starve, or go insane from lack of mental stimulation (we even only and the basic 10 or so channels on TV, most of which were utter crap. end result is that we didn't watch much tube at all).

this could be very hypocritical coming from me; i'll see if my lifestyle gradually morphs back to where it was before we moved.

Brian - while I feel your pain, I gotta say "TOLD YOU SO" :blah:

Last year when we were looking for a house and there was NOTHING livable to be had everyone told us to suck it up and buy something because real estate was a great investment yadda yadda yadda.....

my best advice: be patient. it took us a year and we are thrilled with our new house.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Perhaps it would be a good time to just buy a lot for a house and have it built in a couple years when you are ready.

That way you'd at least own the land to start with. That's ususally the part of the cost of a house that goes the quickest.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Start throwing up gang type graffiti and drop empty crack vials around the neighborhood you want to live in. This should temporarily depress the housing market.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk said:

Last year when we were looking for a house and there was NOTHING livable to be had everyone told us to suck it up and buy something because real estate was a great investment yadda yadda yadda.....

my best advice: be patient. it took us a year and we are thrilled with our new house.
We should cut out our house/acre, plop it down in Brian's neck of the woods, sell it for $1.2 million, then move back to Connecticut. :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
narlus said:
dude...simplify yr life. you don't need all the toys, even though that is what the american dream consists of, and is rammed down our throats 24-7. when we moved to ireland, our house size was about 1/2 of what we have in the US, w/ no garage or basement (just a 4x6 shed in the back). the absolute crazy thing is that the dublin house we lived in was worth easily $1.75 million US. :confused:

anyway, it's not an easy thing to do but guess what? we didn't die, starve, or go insane from lack of mental stimulation (we even only and the basic 10 or so channels on TV, most of which were utter crap. end result is that we didn't watch much tube at all).

this could be very hypocritical coming from me; i'll see if my lifestyle gradually morphs back to where it was before we moved.
I don't have a lot of toys so thats not the issue.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MtnBikerChk said:

We already own a home which has been a great investment, its just time to move on to something bigger and better, the hardest part is initally getting into a house (down payment) which is definatly no longer a problem for us.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:
Perhaps it would be a good time to just buy a lot for a house and have it built in a couple years when you are ready.

That way you'd at least own the land to start with. That's ususally the part of the cost of a house that goes the quickest.
We have been looking at lots also to build, however the decent ones left go for between $550K-1 mil. I can build a house at cost (I'm a General Contractor) and I used to be a plumber so that would shave off $30-40K doing my own plumbing. We are still looking at other options, I'm meeting with my business partner who is my real estate agent/mortgage broker this week to really see what we can realistically afford.