Quantcast

How fast have you gotten

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I got up to 42 tonight on my Serotta and that was without really trying.

I could easily see my Serotta getting into the high 40s and still feeling oh so sweet and supple over the pavement.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
The fastest I have ever gone is 43. Either our hills are small or I just suck. Probably the latter.
it's weird... back when this post got started, I was more aware/paid more attention to my speed. Some sections of road always gave similar speeds... within 2-3mph of each other. Other sections were off by as much as 10mph. I think it has to do with a lot of conditions/factors we have no control over... wind, pavement condition, etc.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
44's my top speed - although I've only been riding road since January. I'm still trying to get used to how bad rim brakes are compared to the hydraulic discs on my MTB.

Also a bit spooky is that the 44 mph run was the first time I'd done that hill, so once hit that speed, I dragged the brakes for about 10 seconds. I saw a red light ahead, and learned that 10 seconds is enough to overheat my brakes.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
ito said:
Eeek!

Cow grates are scary. We have one in the hills here that is in the middle of a turn on a 17 degree hill. The first time I hit that was right after a rain. I want to kill whoever installed it there.
whats a cow grate?

a cow grate is a row of steel pipes with gaps between so cattle fall through and cant get through. it saves time instead of fiddling with gates you just drive through allthough on a bike and on a corner it is dam painfull
as for going fast i got 40mph on 1/4 mile downhill on a bmx! the worst part was going strait through a roundabout at that speed and not being able to see if any cars were on the side streets

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
gnurider1080 said:
whats a cow grate?

http://www.texasmonthly.com/mag/issues/1984-05-01/primer.php said:
The concept is ingenious: Cattle have an instinctive fear of falling and injuring themselves, especially their legs. If you put something in their way that they cannot readily walk across, and dig a pit under it to intensify the appearance of danger, they will stop—well, 99 percent of them will stop.
Or something like that.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
MMcG said:
Skinnier tires?
Yeah... he needs some 19mm 180+psi tubulars...

Right now I am running some pretty serious touring tires (Schwalbe marathons or something) that are flatproof (I hope) and 26mm. Around town they are only about 1 or 2 mph slower but downhill the difference is dramatic - like 10 MPH.

My fastest times have always been on 19mm Vittoria Open Corsas... a tire I have much experience with and great confidence in. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm going to be pulling a bob this summer for about 500 miles... I'm putting the disk brakes back on my hardtail, there is no way I'd pull a trailor wth only rim brakes... plus wind can really throw you fast - I've never had panniers cathch the wind like my trailer does. :eek:

sanjuro said:
That reminds me of almost crashing coming down Leggett Hill in NorCal.

I was touring from Seattle to SF, and 3 of us was behind a guy pulling a bob trailer. He normally went ahead of us on descents because of all the weight he was pulling. But Leggett, about 4500', was very winding, and he started veer over the double yellow on curves.

He came over the road lines at a blind turn, and a car almost hit him head on at 40mph. We were right behind him, and there would have been no way to avoid slamming into him or the car.

Luckily the driver was alert and swerved wide, and the rider with the trailer was able to miss the car. He rode down at 20mph the rest of way.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
This past weekend me and a few teammates where out doing a hill training ride. One of the sections was a crazy fast / short downhill. I found myself going so fast that I couldn't look down at my speed, at the end of the ride we where comparing our maxes. 64mph was my max speed. WOW.....

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
did a lopp last night, 2 guys I was with told me theres a fast downhill ahead, and it was, it rained earlier/the road was wet - to make things more fun..but my damn cyclometer couldnt handle the speed, it read 00 mph, but started working once I slowed down.

the dude in front of me said he hit 56, so I'll estimate I was doing 55

cool.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I Are Baboon said:
The fastest I have ever gone is 43. Either our hills are small or I just suck. Probably the latter.
I hit 49.6 in Vermont the other day with minimal effort (I'm rounding up to 50 :D ). We need bigger hills in Connecticut.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I hit 43 last Wed.. I've gone that fast on a mountain bike before, but somehow on the roadie it was a lot scarier! Skinny tires freak me out!!

Oct 29, 2004
I hit 66 going down the back side of Rist Canyon in Fort Collins last weekend, my previous record was 63 on a different bike on a different road.

45 is my fastest on an MTB on dirt.

edit: I'm 230 lbs, so that helps, and the road is 12%, drops about 1500' in 1.5 miles.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Do none of you ride motorcycles?

The weight to contact patch ration on a road bike would be better I think than on a motorcycle (though I'm not sure).

Nobody even thinks twice about going 70 mph on a motorcycle, why worry about going fast on a bicycle?