Quantcast

How much protein should I be eating a day?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Hi,

I always eat a very protein-rich meal after riding, because I have a hard time downing the protein shakes, but lately I don't think I've been getting enough. Is there a guideline that goes by body weight or anything? Thanks!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do you just ride, or do you have a weight training program that you stick to?

Generally speaking, if you lift weights, you should eat 1.5x to 2x your body weight for protein (so if you weigh 160lbs, eat 240g to 360g protein per day). If you are just riding, 1x to 1.5x your weight in protein grams would be suffice.

I weigh 180, and I eat around 1.5x my weight for protein when I work out. There's no way I could eat any more than that (I'd get too full).

zibbler

Monkey
The general rule of thumb for someone who is very active or building muscle is 1 - 1.5 times your body weight. So, if you weigh 150 lbs you should eat between 150 - 225 grams of protein a day. If your not really looking to build muscle, then about .75 times your body weight is adequate.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
If youre a average american you are already consuming way too much proetin , according to american heart association.

Too much proetin is not really good for your body anyway's .

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Babar
Too much proetin is not really good for your body anyway's .
Too much of anything is bad for your body.

I'm guessing mose people on this website are pretty healthy and do not consume too much protein. The average American, however, is fat and out-of-shape, and shows down on too much pizza and McD's burgers.

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Thanks all. Right now I'm just riding, but I may pick up strength training soon. I just read that the avg. 173 lb. male only needs to consume 63g of protein. Thought that seemed a little low. I guess by average they mean non-active?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Colin
I just read that the avg. 173 lb. male only needs to consume 63g of protein. Thought that seemed a little low. I guess by average they mean non-active?
Well, the RDA for an average person will be a lot lower. But you are an active mountain biker. When you ride, you deplete your body of carbohydrate stores, and break down your muscle fiber. You need carbs and protein to build your muscle and enregy supplies back up. 63g protein will NOT be enough for you. Cripes, I eat that much in one meal.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Well, the RDA for an average person will be a lot lower. But you are an active mountain biker. When you ride, you deplete your body of carbohydrate stores, and break down your muscle fiber. You need carbs and protein to build your muscle and enregy supplies back up. 63g protein will NOT be enough for you. Cripes, I eat that much in one meal.
I have never checked how much protein I eat - I just assume I get enough. I am protein ignorant. Will I be able to tell if I'm not getting enough - physically speaking?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi

I have never checked how much protein I eat - I just assume I get enough. I am protein ignorant. Will I be able to tell if I'm not getting enough - physically speaking?
If you feel weak, or if you are trying to gain muscle but are not. Judging by how you've been finishing in your races, your body seems to be well noursihed. :) (except for that peanut brittle! :eek: )

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

If you feel weak, or if you are trying to gain muscle but are not. Judging by how you've been finishing in your races, your body seems to be well noursihed. :) (except for that peanut brittle! :eek: )
OK, I experienced the weak feeling in Germany. My diet there was beer and pasta, potatoes, pizza, and beer. I usually eat A LOT of bean stuff and I was missing it horribly!

Darryl

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
ZION

You're probably eating enough to maintain obviously. It's basically a recovery/repair nutrient. Kicking up your intake may produce better/faster recovery and if you lift alot, help pack on some mass.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
According to Physician and Sports Medicine Journal, the following is a general guideline for protein intake:
==================================================
Recommended Grams of Protein Per Pound of Body Weight Per Day*

RDA for sedentary adult 0.4

Adult recreational exerciser 0.5-0.75

Adult competitive athlete 0.6-0.9

Adult building muscle mass 0.7-0.9

Dieting athlete 0.7-1.0

Growing teenage athlete 0.9-1.0

*To find your daily protein requirement, multiply the appropriate numbers in this table by your weight in pounds.
================================================
I've read articles that advocate intake of up to 1.2g per lb body weight, but nothing more than that. Since your body can't store protein, excess is eliminated in your urine and feces. Too much protein in your diet can actually be very hard on your kidneys. (That whole Atkins protein diet? Don't do it.)

Make sure you have plenty of vitamin B-6 in your diet, as it helps your body metabolize protein.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Beans are darn nearly a perfect food. Esp. black beans, red beans, and lentils. Green beans, not so much.
The past few days:

Black bean and rice burrito for lunch Fri
Black bean and rice burrito for lunch Sat
Beans and rice for lunch Sunday
Black bean soup for lunch Monday
Black bean burrito for lunch Tuesday
Nachos with lots of beans for dinner Tuesday

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

The past few days:

Black bean and rice burrito for lunch Fri
Black bean and rice burrito for lunch Sat
Beans and rice for lunch Sunday
Black bean soup for lunch Monday
Black bean burrito for lunch Tuesday
Nachos with lots of beans for dinner Tuesday
Sounds to me like a Dutch oven for the Cap'n!!! :eek:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Sounds to me like a Dutch oven for the Cap'n!!! :eek:
LOL, NO, oddly, my body has adapted to all the bean eating I do. It has NO reaction. Seriously.

It's really amazing when you sit down and add up what you ate for the day - you will probably be surprised - most people find that until they crunch the numbers, it is hard to estimate what they've been eating.

A healthy diet consists of a balanced diet of carbs, fat and protein. If you are feeling low on energy, increase your carbs and lower something else (preferably fat). If your goal is building muscle, you will need a higher intake of protein.

it's all a crap shoot really!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

LOL, NO, oddly, my body has adapted to all the bean eating I do. It has NO reaction. Seriously.
Yeah sure. Remember, I shared a room with you and the Captain at Sea Otter. Can you say gas mask? ;)

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Yah right, whatever. :rolleyes:
hehe. OK, so the gas can't be proven :rolleyes: but I think he was about 3 seconds away from duct taping you to your side of the bed when you kept assaulting him. ;)

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok.....what everone is saying about protein is correct. You do need protein for muscle recovery and buiding muscle. Of course energy comes from complex carbs and healthy fats....this is the one thing most people overlook! Low Gi carbs like brown rice, Sweet potatoes and oatmeal are great. Flax oil and olive oil are good fats to consume. Fats also give you energy! Combine these carbs and fat along with protein(chicken breast, turkey, lean cuts of beef) and fresh vegetables and you will have plenty of energy and have a lean muscular body!