I have a ChrisKing headset, but I am also getting a DHR

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
my problem is the 1 1/8 headset and the 1.5 headtube on the DHR

what should i do?
A) do I sell the headset buy a new high end one that's 1.5

B) get the E-13 or other reducer sets

C) MAYBE someone knows if CK is planning on making a 1.5?

the thing is I love my CK headset and IMO there is no other headset that could possible compete, but I will hear you guys out first

thanks
-Zac

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you have a CrissKing headset, someone ripped you off man... probably the same guy who sells Rolax watches...:)

Yes, there was talk at one point of Chris King making a 1.5 headset, but like a lot of what Chris King says about product development, it could take at LEAST another 80 years. For real.

I would try looking around chainreaction.com in the U.K. - I think they have a reducer system for sale over there that allows you to use a King headset.

If not, then go with the traditional e13/FSA Orbit deal.

Hope this helps.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I have the reducer cups with a King and it's fine. Unless you get a 1.5 fork, reducer cups will be your best option.

edit: they're some random cheap reducer cups, not the e13 ones, but they work fine.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Your king hs will not fit in the e-13 reducers, they are for 'is' standard internal headset bearings. If you want a low front, drop the king and get the e-13 set up, the stack height will be ~6mm. FSA makes a det of 1.5 to 1 1/8 reducers that will work with the king but your stack height will be large.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
e13 cups are not reducers.
FSA and others make simple reducing "bushings" that allow you to run your regular HS in a 1.5 HT. The issue with these is that your stack height gets really tall.
Either live with the stack height or get the e13 cups. The e13 route really is the cleanest way to go. It's cheap, it's low, and the replacement bearings are plentiful and cheap. Don't try it with a DH40 though. The combo of the DHR/e13/DH40 means a dented DT.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
black noise said:
I have the reducer cups with a King and it's fine. Unless you get a 1.5 fork, reducer cups will be your best option.

edit: they're some random cheap reducer cups, not the e13 ones, but they work fine.
I have the same set-up on the Highline I jsut got. Looks funky but it works.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cane Creek Double XC flush?

Personally, I don't get all these reducer kits. Half the benefit of 1.5 comes from being able to use bigger bearings in the headset. The Cane Creek is Chris King smooth, and I'm amazed by the performance of the seals. Pretty much zero stack height too...

FSA do something similar I think.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
big-ted said:
Cane Creek Double XC flush?

Personally, I don't get all these reducer kits. Half the benefit of 1.5 comes from being able to use bigger bearings in the headset. The Cane Creek is Chris King smooth, and I'm amazed by the performance of the seals. Pretty much zero stack height too...

FSA do something similar I think.

Yup.

CC and FSA make really low stack, reducing headsets now. Stacking a chris king in some standard reducers is both ugly and puts your handlebars really high.

I've got e-13 reducers on my dhr and my uzzi, but if I had to start fresh, I'd get one of the cc or fsa headsets.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
redical said:
I have the same set-up on the Highline I jsut got. Looks funky but it works.
Yeah, but it doesn't even look that funky. It's only ~10mm taller stack height which is seriously not noticable unless you're anal about height, and you probably run a riser bar anyway.

The cheap cups will be your cheapest option. $40 or so plus installation and you get to keep your King. Not like this kid is frugal or anything...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
buildyourown said:
e13 cups are not reducers.
FSA and others make simple reducing "bushings" that allow you to run your regular HS in a 1.5 HT. The issue with these is that your stack height gets really tall.
Either live with the stack height or get the e13 cups. The e13 route really is the cleanest way to go. It's cheap, it's low, and the replacement bearings are plentiful and cheap. Don't try it with a DH40 though. The combo of the DHR/e13/DH40 means a dented DT.
sorry to sound like an idiot but i am confused, so all i need is E13
cups plus CK and it will work, cost=40 bucks.

or is it CK+E13+FSA Orbit IS

plus getting a new CC 1.5 headset wouldn't work with my 1 1/8 boxxer wc fork correct?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
zmtber said:
sorry to sound like an idiot but i am confused, so all i need is E13
cups plus CK and it will work, cost=40 bucks.

or is it CK+E13+FSA Orbit IS

plus getting a new CC 1.5 headset wouldn't work with my 1 1/8 boxxer wc fork correct?

Option 1:
CK headset w/ FSA reducers

Option 2: (my setup on my DHR and rail)
e13 cups with a cane creek integrated headset

Option 3:
Cane Creek Double flush XC
(I ran this for awhile but I found it to be a piece of junk. Apparantly, I'm the minority)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
First of all, all of this info is on each respective comanies website so you could just go and answer your own questions but....

e-13 cups only work with IS headsets, they are a 'cup for the IS bearings to press into

Reducers do just that, they reduce your head tube size so that you could run any standard (1 1/8) headset

cane creek(double xc, double xc flush) and FSA(orbit extreme pro 1.5R, orbit Z 1.5R) can be used all by them selves for your aplication as they are a reducing headset.

Got it??

p.s. i am with B.Y.O. my cane creek did not last long (maybe it is a Seattle thing..)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
buildyourown said:
Option 1:
CK headset w/ FSA reducers

Option 2: (my setup on my DHR and rail)
e13 cups with a cane creek integrated headset

Option 3:
Cane Creek Double flush XC
(I ran this for awhile but I found it to be a piece of junk. Apparantly, I'm the minority)
option 3 is worthless. i'd go with #2. and sell the king... or buy another bike to run the king :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
DHS said:
option 3 is worthless. i'd go with #2. and sell the king... or buy another bike to run the king :)
Agreed, the Cane Creaks do jsut that they creak, they break and they generaly suck! Get the FSA either the cheap or the expensive one, they will last you a lifetime, plush you get the big bearings that will own your King. They make an actual reducer headset with reduction races that is the siht.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
2 years with no problems with my cane creek head set.

How about option (4)
Get someone to machine up some cups and put the chris king bearings in? After all, the best thing about the kings is the bearings, the rest is just aluminum holding it in and is nothing special.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
what are some other reducers out there that are not E13 and wouldn't need the IS bearings

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't do that. Your front end will be extremely high. I run a King too but it's not worth a tall front end so your bike will say King. Get a reducer HS or the e13 cups.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
so this is what i am thinking about doing lets just het your votes on this

1) e13 plus a IS canecreek headset lor FSA Orbit IS

2) other generic reducers plus king

3) and converting headset either the FSA or Canecreek (or other)

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
zmtber said:
so this is what i am thinking about doing lets just het your votes on this

1) e13 plus a IS canecreek headset lor FSA Orbit IS

2) other generic reducers plus king

3) and converting headset either the FSA or Canecreek (or other)
More info needed.

Also depends on the bike / fork combination.

On my turner i run 7inch forks, so to slacken the head angle i run a normal cancreek double XC 1.5>1 1/8 reducer on the bottom, then to lower the handle bar i run an e13 cup on top, i use no spacers, flat crown and 1inch rise bar to get it as low as possible as thats how i like it.

It all depends on what you want to acheive.

Say for example you run 2 inch rise bars, is there any point in getting the flatest cups / stack height? I think not, you could just use the chris king and run a 1.5inch rise bar and get the same effect.

How about you tell us

1. What fork you are going to run
2. What rise handle bar you use
3. What type of rise stem do you use
4. How many spacers do you use

Tell us about how you had your last bike setup and if you liked the way it felt.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
His old bike was an ogre in the front, but I think lower setup is usually a good thing w/ today's 8" forks.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
boxxer wc

and the answer protaper, i believe is a 2" rise

e13 direct mount

almost an inch of spacers

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
the bars were definitely up higher, and i liked the way they felt, but i also felt if the were lower it be better

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
looks like at the moment it is going to be e13 plus a Solos IS - short

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
congrats, youve actually asked a good question :)

My cane creek double xc has been holding up pretty well so far...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i was thinking about the xc or the flush, but so many people are saying it has problems, problems where it "creaks"-as another monkey has previously states

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
zmtber, 8inch boxxer or 7inch boxxer?

If its an 8inch fork get the flush lower cups like made by e13, FSA and cane creek.

If you run the flush cups you will need a flat crown for the boxxers otherwise you end up running 1 1/2 inch of spacers so the crown clears the frame.

Only you can determine how you like your bike set up.

Like i said, my bike is super low at the front, some people say it feels like an XC bike, i ride with a guy who rides with 8inch 888's with the high rise clamps, 2 inch rise bar, 1inch of spacers, 45 degree rise stem. I think it feels crap but he loves it.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
and i would like it a little lower then i have it set up now but not xc style, that wouldn't work for me

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I just bought these things and these are awsome, the only thing i will touch now is the headset