Quantcast

i think im gonna open a bar with a bike theme

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i think its time to take matters into my own hands. im thiking i might open a beer/wine bar. no liquor because of the membership rule in NC. The bar would have a bike kinda theme, biking is huge here and most bike riders like beer. however i donbt think i will doing any food because that raises the needed capital 10 fold. also i dont wanna deal with the Health Department. im thinking maybe 30-40 taps and several coolers full of bottles and a modest selection of wine. would anybody come to my bar?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
no way dude we already got like a friggin million wing places here. also wing night is a rip off for servers, people order a beer and 10 wings sit there all night and dont tip the waitress because all they spent was 5 bucks. cheap wing night bastards.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
no food just beer, wine, bike oriented stuff and live music dammit! lol, seriously there is no way i could egt the capital or wanted to deal with the hassle of a full on pub with food. its too much of a pain in the ass. do ya'll not have bars that dont sell food there?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I think it's a requirement for a bar in VA to serve food.

You should serve 'health' Mex and Italian. Cyclist fuel.

Mike

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ohhhhh. here if you sell liquor you either have to have a membership or make more than 50 percent of the business from food.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
itd be real cool to have video premiers and such there, as well as show continuaous coverage of gravity games, x-games, bike videos that kinda stuff. i think it would be cool as hell and there really isnt any such thing as an unsuccessful bar here in asheville.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BigMike said:
I've never heard of a bar without food......
ditto. when my friends and i go out we usually have a higher bill for food for the group than for alcohol

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
We have tons of bars here that don't serve "food". They have the bar food: peanuts, popcorn, and the like and some you can even order a frozen pizza or something.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, im thinkin little things that are pre packaged maybe fruit cliff bars power bars stuff like that. i really dont wanna have to deal with the overhead costs of food and the employees associated with it.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
a bunch of jars filled with anything you can pickle?

oh, and sell tubes and cables and patch kits so people can do little repairs and drink at the same time...like a co-op bike stand in a corner or something so it's realy bike related!!!

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
biggins said:
yes those would work as well as roasted nuts still in the shells just things like that.
ok i'll come to your bar now...but it's so far away....you might need to franchise so i can open one here.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just have hottie women bartenders wearing tight bikey spandex and you'll make a fortune.

Now since i've made you millions make sure you remember me when you're rakin in the dough..... :)

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
if you were going to have to sell food, why not sell basically one thing, like "the bar's name's famous _______ " and just sell a lot of that.

Or get a partnership with a pizza place, and have a special deal, so groups could get some beer, order a pizza, and then get some food, and more beer, and so on. Maybe that's a dumb idea?!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That would be an excellent idea...See if you can get a partnership with a local independent pizza joint, they have pizzas ready for your customers, you both make money, and you draw in more customers cause you have food...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
When I'm 21, I'll be sure to stop by if I'm ever in NC. That sounds like a really cool idea, and there's a lot of different ways you could set it up. Also, it might still become popular with non-bikers if it gets a reputation for being really unique.

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
my dads bar doesnt serve food, only because we're to small too. food=pain in the ass, but also brings in more customers.

also, running a bar is a lot harder than you would think. definatly no walk in the park. lots of draft beers isnt always a good thing either, too complicated.

good luck and it sounds cool.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
HippieKai said:
a bunch of jars filled with anything you can pickle?

oh, and sell tubes and cables and patch kits so people can do little repairs and drink at the same time...like a co-op bike stand in a corner or something so it's realy bike related!!!

that is an awesome idea!i was trying to incorporate some bike repair stands into it somehow.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Well I like the Bike theme, thats good, but a bar that serves beer & wine only, no food, no liquor? Just not enough revenue source to cover it. Not many people, or groups of people go places "just to drink." Look at almost any successful bar and they probably have a solid lunch (and or dinner) crowd as well. Maybe if you had a place that had very little over head and you could afford to only open at night?

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
We have a bike shop like that in Louisville called "Cyclers Cafe". It is a full service bike shop literally half a mile from the trailhead to a very popular riding spot. They carry high end bikes/parts and also serve beer in bottles (Newcastle, Fosters, Sierra Nevada, Guiness and Microbrewes) They have a soda fountain and sell soups/sandwiches ect. They have a deck with bike racks and tables and indoor seating areas right among the bikes. The TV is always playing bike videos and tons of non bikers even stop in there just for the food and coffee. For instance yesterday (after we had already rode 20-30 miles at another park) we showed up with a few friends, worked on our bikes, looked through some cataloges, rode some shop bikes around the parking lot (titainium Dean :drool: ) watched a tiathlete race on the tv , drank some beer and then headed out on a group ride with the shop owner. After the ride we hung out on the deck and drank some more beer and talked bike stuff. Pretty cool end to an epic day. Something like that should really take off around Asheville.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Contact the local bike club and see if you can "sponsor" a weekly ride. Start and end at your place and a happy hour price for after the ride for those that went.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
What he said Ben

Maybe near the Biltmore Sq mall? You'd get the people coming from Bent Creek and possibly N Mills?