Quantcast

If you were going to move somewhere just for the biking, where would it be?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You're right, especially in the region where I live. But the problem is still the same. If Italy goes bancrupt our region will also go down the drain. Hopefully we will get a new president soon. Silvio wants to step back. The hope is that we get some things sorted. Otherwise our future will look like that in Greece.
Also people here don't really like mountain biking (south tyrol, german part of Italy) but its getting better.

Personally I think Austria would be the better place to ride and live. Awesome and motivated people, nice mountains, good snow in the winter and the girls are definitely friendlier ;)
Austria is crazy regulated. Maybe not as bad as Bavaria ( or at least my moms new bavarian husband claims so) but still bad. They have some nice spots but I think the Frenchies do it better. Never been in Andora though. Maribor is nice but it's a single city and as someone mentioned - they have one of the best mountains for building trails on the planet.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Burlington VT/ surrounding area has tons of xc within 30 min drive. Bromont, Whiteface, Sugarbush, Killington and Burke all within 2 hours. Mt Snow Attitash Sunday River about 3 hours away or so. Plattekill is 4 or so but always worth the drive from hell. Dirt Jumps in Johnson and Stowe about an hour from BVT. The winter isn't bad either 1.5 away from Jay Peak 40 mins to Smuggs Crotch. Plus the New England race race scene. Efta for XC and GES / ESC / Diablo Series for DH. MTB is what all these two plankers do here in the summer.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What's it for?
With the airline I currently work for. Not really based in Bend per se, but if I get the job, when I'm not traveling I would be "working out of the home" with the possibility of "home" being where ever I damn well please. Should I get said job, I would say the possibility of a return to Oregon is in the 90th Percentile. Bend or back to P-town. I will definitely be PM'ing you if this looks like it could happen.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
With the airline I currently work for. Not really based in Bend per se, but if I get the job, when I'm not traveling I would be "working out of the home" with the possibility of "home" being where ever I damn well please. Should I get said job, I would say the possibility of a return to Oregon is in the 90th Percentile. Bend or back to P-town. I will definitely be PM'ing you if this looks like it could happen.
well good luck!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
good luck to you and a sunnier disposition.....no more SS death marches?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Hey, we're hitting Moab end of March/beginning of April...

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Utar is a nice place if you're mostly an XC rider. I live up north and there's a ton of xc riding around here. Gooseberry is about 5 hours away, Moab is 4 hours away, Fruita is 5, not to mention all of the xc riding in SLC and Park City. There's a ton of XC riding to be done out here. Not nearly as much DH riding as I wish there was, but there are still some alright spotss here and there if you know where to look.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So much for Mother Oregon and a "sunnier disposition". :D Got a phone call from the dept. manager who wanted to talk pay first, before we even talked about setting up an interview. I actually LOL'D when he gave the pay range. 20-25k pay cut. I don't want out of here that bad. Guess that gives SS a more open time line to give me a lung aneurysm.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yes, you don't move here for more money, you move here for better outdoor options, less aholes, and less traffic.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sure. But I need to eat too.
Lies.

i have looked at Bend 3 times, but never hard enough to move there. It's close enough to visit, though.

<edit>

Pesqueeb said:
I actually LOL'D when he gave the pay range. 20-25k pay cut.
That was about what I ended up taking to move to Medford. That move was NOT worth it, hense my return to p-town.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What's the property/rent price situation like in Bend? If I wanted let's say a 3br, 2ba, 2 car garage house with a fence, what would I owe every month in rent? What's the asking price like on something like that in a decent neighborhood?

I miss Bend. Spent a lot of time there when I was going to U of O.