Quantcast

I'm done with CB Eggbeaters

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I need new pedals. As much as I want to love my Eggbeaters, I'm sick and tired of them releasing when I smack them on a rock. It happened to me 4 times today, and I only rode for 1 hour. The last straw was when my left pedal released in a technical climbing spot and caused me to crash because I was paying more attention to trying to get clipped back in than where my front wheel was headed.

So, what does everyone recommend? Do Time ATAC's have the same problem as the Eggbeaters, or does each side use a different spring? I don't ride in much mud, so mud clearance isn't that big of a deal, but I would like something that has decent float, as I've been experiencing some knee pain lately.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
shimano is the only pedal I have any experience with, but that's mainly because I have been so happy with them.

I mash them on rocks pretty regularly and never had any problem with them unclipping. My only real complaint is that they pack with snow and freeze up fairly easily.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
shimano is the only pedal I have any experience with, but that's mainly because I have been so happy with them.

I mash them on rocks pretty regularly and never had any problem with them unclipping. My only real complaint is that they pack with snow and freeze up fairly easily.
Do they have much, if any, free float?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jacksonpt said:

:stupid:

Except for the snow and freezing thing...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jacksonpt said:
what exactly is meant by float? I want to make sure I'm thinking the same thing you are before I answer.
Free float: the ability to twist your foot back and forth freely before you engage the spring.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
Free float: the ability to twist your foot back and forth freely before you engage the spring.
again, it's all I know, so I'm not sure how they compare to other pedals, but yes, there is more than enough float for me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
<snip>
So, what does everyone recommend? Do Time ATAC's have the same problem as the Eggbeaters, or does each side use a different spring? I don't ride in much mud, so mud clearance isn't that big of a deal, but I would like something that has decent float, as I've been experiencing some knee pain lately.
One vote for ATACs. Never had them release due to rock smackage. In fact, I can't think of a single time they've ever released when I wasn't trying to release.

I've been on them since............ '02? :think:

Edit: ATACs do have plenty of "float," at least for me it's enough.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'll also add that I'm on the same pedals and the same set of cleats since the middle of 2002. I probably ride the twice a week in the summer, twice a month in the winter. So they have held up very well.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MancilG said:
it sounds like your cleats are worn out. I was having that problem last year. I got on ebay and bought some new cleats for $10 and they where good as new.
No, this has happened since day one. The trails around here are rocky enough that I'm always smacking my pedals on rocks, no matter how hard I try not to.

The combination of the single spring design and my attempt at pedaling in circles just doesn't cut it.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
pixelninja said:
No, this has happened since day one. The trails around here are rocky enough that I'm always smacking my pedals on rocks, no matter how hard I try not to.

The combination of the single spring design and my attempt at pedaling in circles just doesn't cut it.
maybe look into the candy's they have the platform

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Times don't release when you smack things. They do have float and the release angle can be changed from 13* to 17* by switching the cleats from one shoe to the other like eggbeaters.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I ran Time Z pedals for a few years and I never had any unexpected clip out issues. I'm on Eggs for my SS roadie and Candy's on my Heckler. Only unclipped because of rock smack maybe 2 times since I started running them...about 9 months.

I really liked the action of the Times better than the Shimano SPDs that I had. The Eggs/Candys more or less feel the same(as the Times), but I give the nod to Time for feeling a bit more "secure."

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
pixelninja said:

I've heard the same complaint from some riders around here. very rocky; most switch to time and the problem ends.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I use the Mallets and they don't have this issue. Never tried the Candy's

IMHO Time makes the best clipless pedal for all uses but FR/DH - the Mallet is a better platform clipless than Time's.

Go for the ATAC XE (or higher model if you want lighter/$$$)

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I have ridden both Times and an SPD style pedal (Bontragers). The Times have quite a bit more float and you can move all over the pedal before unclipping. They also are pretty good in mud, and do not suffer the release issues when smacking rocks. The SPDs felt a little bit crisper in their release, yet did not have as much float and suffered a little in the mud/snow.

I would recommend you pick up a set of Times. Shy away from the aliums if possible, they tend to be liked less than their other offerings.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MancilG said:
maybe look into the candy's they have the platform
I had Candy's on my last bike and remember having similar experiences. Not as much, but it did happen. And I'm sure you're partially right about the worn cleats. CB cleats are soft like butter. But the main culprit is that d*mn single spring design. If you smack the bottom of the pedal hard enough, you can't help but get released.

When a lot of the xc trails you ride look like this, you're bound to be smacking your pedals all day long:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
syadasti said:
I use the Mallets and they don't have this issue.
I agree, this never happens with my Mallets, and I have already knocked half the paint off my crankarms so its not like I am not hitting them.
I usually hit another part of the pedal instead of the clips.
I can't really think of a time I have been ejected off my pedal by hitting it.
And those mag mallets are so light, I just run them on both of my MTB's.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I thought that eggbeaters, essentially, had no float? Don't they have a neutral position that they encourage your foot to be in?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
you know you can flip the cleats to have a bigger release angle, making them harder to pop out of...

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
MancilG said:
I'm surprised your having problems, I'm riding CB on all my bikes including the road bike. I would try changing out your cleats first. just my thoughts
:stupid:

i've never had any problem like that i with my eagbeaters

edit: but the shimanos that i had b4 u had more room than the eggbeaters to move around

J

JRB

I have had no problems other than a bent spring on ATACs. I pulled the spring, beat it back straight and put it back int. Times are rebuildable, and parts are easy to get, however, you never need to really. Wumpus broke one, but for less than $20, it was going strong again. I am sure they are no better than 959s, but they can be had for far less most often times. Again, they are rebuildable, where 959s would be a bit more of a challenge.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
syadasti said:
The Time/CB mechanism is definitely better than the Shimano in sloppy conditions like mud and snow.
Does Time use a similar single spring design like CB, or are there separate springs for each side?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Another vote for Times. I hit my ATAC's so many times yesterday and no worries. The float is a good amount, mud performance is great. My big Shimano complaints were unexpectedly coming out of the pedals, usually while in the air & crappy mud performance.

J

JRB

pixelninja said:
Does Time use a similar single spring design like CB, or are there separate springs for each side?
They are separate springs. Platform or not is not the issue with CB pedals. It keeps them from hitting some, but when they do, they are going to release.

J

JRB

I did not like the Atac XS pedals. I like the plain old Atacs. I really prefer the old Atac Carbons.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
loco said:
They are separate springs. Platform or not is not the issue with CB pedals. It keeps them from hitting some, but when they do, they are going to release.
Its nearly impossible to do on the CB Mallets. Plus Time Control platforms are weaker.

Time is the best option for everything but platform clipless. If they improve their platform's design, I'll switch back.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
pixelninja said:
Time to buy a new bike with a higher BB. :evil:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
loco said:
I did not like the Atac XS pedals. I like the plain old Atacs. I really prefer the old Atac Carbons.
Thats the XE - best bang for the buck. Old ATAC have the inferior old style mechanism.

J

JRB

syadasti said:
Its nearly impossible to do on the CB Mallets. Plus Time Control platforms are weaker.

Time is the best option for everything but platform clipless. If they improve their platform's design, I'll switch back.
My Z controls came off for some Carbons, but they are a good backup that I got for cheap. (thanks Luc)