Quantcast

Industry nine vs kings.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I'm looking for a new wheel set for my fisher ferrous as the stock bontrager are decent but aren't real stiff. I want something super durable, with fast engagement, and to be plenty stiff. I'm sure I can't go wrong with either bu t I can't make a decision...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Industry nine seems to be the hot ticket these days.

But I'll throw a wrench into your thinking. What about a wheelset based off of Hadley hubs?

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
meh, hadleys are nice but heavier and with less engagement then both sets. ive been riding for the last 14 years and have never ever had a brand new wheelset. im going to my lbs to sell my foes fxr and lyrik fork today and saying buh bye to 26er.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Hadleys are coming with 108pt engagements these days, more than the King certainly and probably more than the I9s.
I9 comes in 3 and 6 degree versions and you can get them in their Al or regular spoke versions now. When did Hadley start making 108 again - they discontinued 108pt a while ago I thought? Any of the brands mentioned engage plenty fast.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I9's 3 degree is damn instant.
Its by far the quickest engaging hub I have ever felt.
I think most riders would trade a few degrees for greater interface durability/strength save picky trials riders. I am not talking about any brand in particular, I'm just sayin... There is also the thing of pawls (most hubs) vs. ring/clutch drive (King, Stealth, RB Designs, etc...)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think most riders would trade a few degrees for greater interface durability/strength save picky trials riders. I am not talking about any brand in particular, I'm just sayin... There is also the thing of pawls (most hubs) vs. ring/clutch drive (King, Stealth, RB Designs, etc...)
Good point.
They are 45 minutes from me though, so I will take the instant engagement.;)

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
all things considered,the I9 will be lighter. Each spoke on a 29er weighs about 4g. Compare that to 7g for a DT Swiss double butted Comp (suspect revolution is about the same). That means, on a given 32H wheelset, you'll save 96g/wheel, or almost 1/2 lb in total, with no loss of engagement or stiffness (in fact, I9s are probably even stiffer because of the additional tension capability of the straight pull spokes.). Maintenance (ability to keep the rims true) is the biggest question between the two. I've had better fortune keeping my Surly hub / DTSwiss spoked 29ers true than I have with I9s. Both are on Delgado Disc rims, and I9 believes the DD on the rear is the culprit causing this to not stay true. Based on research, that's very feasible. Stans rims have to be retensioned (on I9s, definitely, and I think, in general), so once that's done, they may be good to go, regardless of hub type.

Oh, and good point on the drive mechanism. The ring drive on the kings is a work of art. I can't see what would cause it to fail, but breaking a pawl doesn't seem out of the question on an I9 - not that I've ever done it, or heard of it being done.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I9's make one hell of a racket, even when compared to Kings. Make sure that kind of thing does not bother you before buying if you decide on that route.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I9's make one hell of a racket, even when compared to Kings. Make sure that kind of thing does not bother you before buying if you decide on that route.
I have both King and I9s. They are both pretty noisy and people you ride with will complain about either. I've owned many Kings throughout the years - they seem to vary in noise level, but maybe thats just cause I switched from revision to revision over the years (I got them when they first came out in the 90s). There is hope through, ride with a friend who has Hopes...they are even noisier:busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have both King and I9s. They are both pretty noisy and people you ride with will complain about either. I've owned many Kings throughout the year - , they seem to vary in noise level, but maybe thats just cause I switched from a revision to a revision over the years (I got them when they first came out in the 90s). There is hope through, ride with a friend who has Hopes...they are even noisier:busted:
I have two sets of kings, I add a few drops of 90wt gear oil inside the hub and it quiets things down to a point that I can not hear them over normal riding noises.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
pretty sure hadley has totally discontinued the 108pt freehub.

I'm glad to see king has real competition in the hub world now. I've worked on the I-9s for people and they are supreme wheels. My good friend teamdicky has been brutalizing his I-9s in various stupid endurance races for the last year at least. They've held up very well for him and he gives them rave reviews. Personally, I'm on kings. I like traditional spokes and traditional hubs and for some unknown reason, I gravitate to king's stuff. Always have, prolly always will...

quick edit: my latest kings are way quieter than any I've had in the past. they are well past the break in and are still very quiet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I like traditional spokes and traditional hubs
That's why i9 makes these:

http://www.industrynine.net/official/hubs.html

i9 said:
CLASSIC HUBS
If you're normal, allergic, or just plain scared...here is a hubset for you. Durability and versatility is the key here. Quick Release, 20mm thru-axle, 24mm Maverick axle up front; 125mm Quick Release, 10 x 135, or 12x 135 thru axle rear, our patented 3 degree engagement mechanism and adjustable rear hub bearings, this hubset is definitely up for anything you can throw at it. So get your truing stand, a six pack, and your silly J-bend spokes and build some sweet wheels

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I9's have 3degree engagement (so 120 points), its pretty much instantaneous
Hadley is making their hubs in 72pt engagement now, not 108
King ring drive is 72pt ringdrive engagement.

I'd go with I9's personally if you're choosing between I9/King. Had them all, King, WTB, Hope, Hadley, Ringle, etc.

I9's are super smooth out of the box ready to go. They roll and engage amazingly well. My King hubs i've had take some breaking in and still have a bit more drag in general.

I9's are real simple, easy to take apart with one wrench, etc, etc.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I've run both King and Hadley with great success over the years. I'd like to check out I9's for the super fast engagement and of course the bling factor. Maybe I'll get their straight-pull rear hub laced to my Havoc rear hoop....hmmmm :think:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
I have both King and I9s. They are both pretty noisy and people you ride with will complain about either. I've owned many Kings throughout the years - they seem to vary in noise level, but maybe thats just cause I switched from revision to revision over the years (I got them when they first came out in the 90s). There is hope through, ride with a friend who has Hopes...they are even noisier:busted:
Which set do you prefer? And why?

I'm not really leaning towards either set as I would be happy with both. If I was rich I'd order both just to try em out as I am super curious. I'm going to call I9 to check their current wait time. I'm leaving Chicago the third week of July for a month long road trip. If the I9s won't be ready by then I'll go king.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Which set do you prefer? And why?
Well I've owned Kings on and off since they came out in the 90s. I like their fast clutch engagement and weight but I don't like cost (especially now), lack of catering to special needs like FR/DH (spacing/axle size) or maybe even just a convertible front hub QR/20mm, or how they loosen up all the time and you have to tighten them up. When they first came out almost no shops had the special tool you need to service them either - another drawback. I thought their disc hubs that used those adapters were dumb - I skipped that generation.

I've only had the i9 for about 150 miles, so the only thing I can say about them is they break in faster than Kings and seemed to be pretty decent.

I'm leaving Chicago the third week of July for a month long road trip. If the I9s won't be ready by then I'll go king.
Go i9 hubs if you can't get the prebuilt wheels in time. If you don't want those, go Hadley and save a little or Hope Pro II if you want to save a lot and don't mind the additional noise and slower engagement. There are lots of good options out there at various pricepoints.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wow start a thread about high zoot hubs and it garners a lot of interest!!

Looks like we've got a lot of closet 29er lurkers - or just a lot of wheel junkies - on the Monkey! ;) :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like we've got a lot of closet 29er lurkers - or just a lot of wheel junkies - on the Monkey! ;) :)
No interest in 29ers, sorry :shakefist:

I did stay at a ...er...um...ride a borrowed 46er (Brooklyn Park Bike) for 2-3 months one summer (03) waiting on a bike. I think it had Profile hubs and DJIII 80mm.

Here is my first day out on it, round the corner to mini road gap to mini tranny...narrowly avoid pine tree in landing area, got it on video for take 2 or 3. Unfortunately, big rigs eventually killed the tranny :rant:

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Syadasti: thanks for the input... It seems your not the only one fed up with king. I really like the I9's and the other day got the chance to hold onto and play with a set of king and i9's hubs.

No interest in 29ers, sorry :shakefist:
how come no interest? I know they aren't for everyone but myself being taller I feel like a giant riding a tricycle on 26ers.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Syadasti: thanks for the input... It seems your not the only one fed up with king. I really like the I9's and the other day got the chance to hold onto and play with a set of king and i9's hubs.
Hmm, want to buy a King wheelset :busted:

how come no interest? I know they aren't for everyone but myself being taller I feel like a giant riding a tricycle on 26ers.
I like smaller bikes - if I'm in between sizes usually I go for the smaller size. I like shorter chainstays, reasonably low BB, and smaller wheelbases and have certain geometry preferences. I like hoping up/over stuff. I have enough problems with keeping 26" rear wheels in decent shape with all the rock infested trails I ride. And there are various other reasons. I've been using 26" for years and it works great for me just as 20" wheels work great for tall BMXers or 24" work great jibbin or some people at Plattekill, etc. 29er might work well for you or some people but I don't need some trend shoved down my throat just like most people never needed more and more gears in the rear - what was wrong with 7 or 8?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I'm leaving Chicago the third week of July for a month long road trip. If the I9s won't be ready by then I'll go king.
you won't be sporting I9s unless you find them at a shop.

ironically enough, my shop has some I9s for sale. black DT TK disc with silver spokes and hubs. if you're interested, let me know. might be able to swing a deal for you. full price is $800.

i can't buy into I9. i don't know why. their road wheels look bad-freakin-ass, but the mtn wheels, especially the 29-er wheels, do nothing for me. i just like King. i like their products, and their customer service. the Ring Drive just makes more sense to me than another pawl and spring setup. the hubs are proven durable. i would rather have a loose bearing system, but c'est la vie. Ring Drive trumps loose bearings.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
as far as the 2-9er thing, I'm right on the edge to where I can ride either 26s or 29s being 6' tall. I don't like the 29s. I've ridden several and I just can't get into the steering, toe overlap, slower acceleration, etc. I DO know it works for people though so I'm def not knocking it.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
as far as the 2-9er thing, I'm right on the edge to where I can ride either 26s or 29s being 6' tall. I don't like the 29s. I've ridden several and I just can't get into the steering, toe overlap, slower acceleration, etc. I DO know it works for people though so I'm def not knocking it.
I haven't had any problems with toe overlap or slower acceleration but steering is an issue. Not so much with tight single track but more so with taking a tight turn at speed.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
you won't be sporting I9s unless you find them at a shop.

ironically enough, my shop has some I9s for sale. black DT TK disc with silver spokes and hubs. if you're interested, let me know. might be able to swing a deal for you. full price is $800.

i can't buy into I9. i don't know why. their road wheels look bad-freakin-ass, but the mtn wheels, especially the 29-er wheels, do nothing for me. i just like King. i like their products, and their customer service. the Ring Drive just makes more sense to me than another pawl and spring setup. the hubs are proven durable. i would rather have a loose bearing system, but c'est la vie. Ring Drive trumps loose bearings.

Hey, your riding a willits 29er right? The more I think about it I might just get some kings.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I9's are worth the wait. They are a superior wheel compaired to a standard spoked wheel - IMO. Much stiffer (especially in a 29'r) for better steering response and control. The I9 6 pawl (3 degree) engagement is super fast and sooooooooo easy to maintain with NO special tools. The same front hub can be converted from QR (for you Reba riders) to 20mm (for you WB lovers) or 24mm (for the Maverick freaks). Try that with a King hub! So, as you can see, this makes them more cost effective if your fork choice might change as the new crop of forks become available.

FWIW...When I spoke to the guys at I9 about durability, over a year ago when I bought my set, they stated that they had been testing their design for a couple of years before it was released. So, you won't be their durability guinea pig.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I9 all the way. I9's are the in thing right now, look pimp, ultra stiff, and king has majorly turned me off with the elitist attitude. Jeff at I9 is a really cool guy- ( i hope I remembered his name correctly!)

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I9's are worth the wait. They are a superior wheel compaired to a standard spoked wheel - IMO. Much stiffer (especially in a 29'r) for better steering response and control. The I9 6 pawl (3 degree) engagement is super fast and sooooooooo easy to maintain with NO special tools. The same front hub can be converted from QR (for you Reba riders) to 20mm (for you WB lovers) or 24mm (for the Maverick freaks). Try that with a King hub! So, as you can see, this makes them more cost effective if your fork choice might change as the new crop of forks become available.

FWIW...When I spoke to the guys at I9 about durability, over a year ago when I bought my set, they stated that they had been testing their design for a couple of years before it was released. So, you won't be their durability guinea pig.

ya, what he said.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Toe Overlap? Nope
Slower Accelerating? Not much difference
Steering? It's all in the hips. gotta learn to ride differently.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Toe Overlap? Nope
Slower Accelerating? Not really
Steering? It's all in the hips. gotta learn to ride differently.
All those things are real differences, whether they are significant depends on the rider and the bikes he is comparing. Without a doubt, smaller wheels are faster, a 24" bike accelerates faster than a 26" too. Putting your fingers in your ears won't make any difference.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
All those things are real differences, whether they are significant depends on the rider and the bikes he is comparing. Without a doubt, smaller wheels are faster, a 24" bike accelerates faster than a 26" too. Putting your fingers in your ears won't make any difference.
Sorry, I edited the reply while you were replying. I said the EXACT same things about 29" wheels just over a year ago after trying them. I gave it another shot and allowed myself time to adjust and realized I had been spewing half truths that entire time. And your reply was innacurate in stating "smaller wheels are faster". Sure they are slightly faster to accelerate, but they are certainly not "faster" once moving.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And your reply was innacurate in stating "smaller wheels are faster". Sure they are slightly faster to accelerate, but they are certainly not "faster" once moving.
No they are faster accelerating. Smaller wheels are faster accelerating - that fact is indisputable. Velocity and acceleration are not the same thing. Speed/Velocity was not mentioned in his statement anywhere.