Quantcast

Industry nine vs kings.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
No they are faster accelerating. Smaller wheels are faster accelerating - that fact is indisputable. Velocity and acceleration are not the same thing genius:bonk:
"Genius"?

Work on your reading comprehension before using smart ass remarks in a "discussion".

The EXACT words in my quote read "slightly faster accelerating". Then you reply, "No they are faster accelerating" ....okay.

YOU said "Faster" originally, not faster accelerating. I was replying that it was an inaccurate statement.

Thanks, have a great day.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He never mentioned speed, he was talking about acceleration. Smaller wheels accelerate faster - end of story. Sorry if your large wheels make you feel inadequate and see things. Speed was not mentioned in his statement and not implied my mine or yours.

Toe Overlap? Nope
Slower Accelerating? Not much difference
Steering? It's all in the hips. gotta learn to ride differently.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
He never mentioned speed, he was talking about acceleration. Smaller wheels accelerate faster - end of story. Sorry if your large wheels make you feel inadequate and see things. Speed was not mentioned in his statement and not implied my mine or yours.

keep it to a discussion or constructive argument or don't bother at all will ya. Many thanks for your cooperation.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I suppose you have forgotten this statement?

Sure they are slightly faster to accelerate, but they are certainly not "faster" once moving.
It seems you are getting upset and defensive and not comprehending my statements in this discussion at all. I'm not going to explain it any further. It all makes sense and is there for you to read on your own.

Ride what ya brung, and have a ton of fun. The end.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Toe Overlap? Nope
Slower Accelerating? Not much difference
Steering? It's all in the hips. gotta learn to ride differently.
Toe Overlap is a frame design issue, not really a 29er thing. I've ridden 26ers, 29ers, road and track bikes and many have overlap issues (being 5'6" doesn't help).
Slower acceleration? Hells yes. Sorry man, but it is true. Out west on the less tech, faster trails it doesn't matter as much, but I've been rocking out in the East and on some of the trails the slower ramp up is VERY noticeable. I'm a big 29er advocate, love mine to death, but in certain areas it does fail.
Steering? You got it right, all about the hips and learning new lines. First few times on a 9er though and you'll probably be blowing through turns pretty wide.

Wheel wise? I love working on King and I9 hubs, they are so easy to tear apart and put some love into. I have to hand it to the I9s though as being the fastest feeling wheel I've ever been on. Super light and very stiff. I loved mine while I had them.

The Ito

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Toe Overlap is a frame design issue, not really a 29er thing. I've ridden 26ers, 29ers, road and track bikes and many have overlap issues (being 5'6" doesn't help).
Exactly. Bugs me when people try to act like it is a 29er flaw. I had overlap on two separate 26" wheeled bikes previously, but not on my 29er.

As for acceleration, the rotating weight of my previous 26" king wheel set and tires is a bit heavier than my i9 29er wheel set and tires so I really don't feel much difference there. I suppose it is a apple to oranges comparison when looked at on the surface, but the big difference comes in the tires. On my 29er, I found the increased traction through the larger contact patch allows me to run much faster rolling, lighter tires and get the same traction that I have to use big meats on the 26" to achieve. While it has nothing to do with the wheel size obviously, my end result is that my 29er feels faster accelerating and less sluggish with the same amount of grip or more than the 26" set up I ran. To me, the real world application is what matters. I live on the east coast and have only ridden my 29er in VA/W.VA/Western NC. and it has never "failed" me. I can't think of a single trail where the 26" bike would serve me better. Of course that bit is nothing more than personal opinion.

Different strokes for different folks.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Ito, what do you think about the stability of the 29er in slow speed maneuvers? I didn't mention it earlier and I was thinking about how big of a factor it is for me while I was working some tech sections on my ride today.

So Rich, you liking the I9's then? ;)
Just slightly! :happydance:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
re: 29ers....

Have a read of THIS POST (specifically post #100) by a frame builder & I think it will shed some light (as this is an opinion I have had for some time & influenced my current bike featured in the SAME THREAD.

There is MUCH more to bike handling than wheelsize (however, I do realize that acceleration is directly related to wheelsize ;))

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Ito, what do you think about the stability of the 29er in slow speed maneuvers? I didn't mention it earlier and I was thinking about how big of a factor it is for me while I was working some tech sections on my ride today.
The 29er is quite stable, I've never considered that a wheel trait though, more to do with proper fit and frame geometry. Would be interesting to compare though.

Do you run gears on your bike? I've got a singlespeed and fairly heavy wheels, I definitely notice the lag when in a really slow rocky section or while starting from a dead standstill. If there is good traction things usually work out, but on roots and especially rocks it can be pretty dicey.

The Ito

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
re: 29ers....

Have a read of THIS POST (specifically post #100) by a frame builder & I think it will shed some light (as this is an opinion I have had for some time & influenced my current bike featured in the SAME THREAD.

There is MUCH more to bike handling than wheelsize (however, I do realize that acceleration is directly related to wheelsize ;))
Marc Pfister's comments are interesting, and make complete sense. That goes hand in hand with Ito's comment on the low speed stability coming from the geometry and not wheel size. Seems like many people mistakenly assume it comes from the increased gyro effect of the wheel and the more "in the cockpit" feel of the fit. Or is the "in the cockpit" fit associated as well?

Ito, I am running my 29er as a 1x9 currently. 34T and a 11-32 spread.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Marc Pfister's comments are interesting, and make complete sense. That goes hand in hand with Ito's comment on the low speed stability coming from the geometry and not wheel size. Seems like many people mistakenly assume it comes from the increased gyro effect of the wheel and the more "in the cockpit" feel of the fit. Or is the "in the cockpit" fit associated as well?

Ito, I am running my 29er as a 1x9 currently. 34T and a 11-32 spread.
I read Marc's comments and I am in total agreement with him, (But you're going to have trouble finding a 55mm offset suspension fork. )

Anyway.......on the slow speed thing. The wheel size certainly does have something to do with it. That is, it's not as apt to get stopped at a slow speed by trail obstacles. this is due to it's angle of attack to said trail obstacles, so it is tied to wheel size. This and the geometry work hand in hand to give you a much better level of control at slower speeds. Heck, I couldn't track stand worth a hoot until I got a 29"er!

I got to ride that 36"er in the snow off road and I'll tell you what, you wouldn't believe how slow you could go and not fall over. It was uncanny! Did the wheel size have something to do with that? I think it does.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Slower acceleration? Hells yes. Sorry man, but it is true. Out west on the less tech, faster trails it doesn't matter as much, but I've been rocking out in the East and on some of the trails the slower ramp up is VERY noticeable.
Where in the east are you? I've been riding my Six Pack this year and last, but spent '05 on a KM in the northeast (tight, rocky, hilly) and never felt it hindered my riding. I noticed the wheels were harder to accelerate but felt that was more than compensated for by their ability to roll and roll and roll and roll and roll. All it took was a little body english and the bike was moving again.