Quantcast

Inflation Sux

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there a thread for inflation examples and hoopla?

Grocery price increases, rent and home price increases, etc etc

But here is a new one, I got my insurance renewal in the mail and my monthly premium is increasing about $35. I've been with the same insurer since my first car and have zero claims, zero changes reported to them and only one minor speeding ticket from two years ago.

Reading the interwebs, this seems to just be a thing, at least here in Ontario.

Are you guys elsewhere seeing insurance cost increases? Especially interested in the other Canadian folk here.

@slyfink @Jozz @Da Peach @FlipSide @konifere @mykel

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is there a thread for inflation examples and hoopla?

Grocery price increases, rent and home price increases, etc etc

But here is a new one, I got my insurance renewal in the mail and my monthly premium is increasing about $35. I've been with the same insurer since my first car and have zero claims, zero changes reported to them and only one minor speeding ticket from two years ago.

Reading the interwebs, this seems to just be a thing, at least here in Ontario.

Are you guys elsewhere seeing insurance cost increases? Especially interested in the other Canadian folk here.

@slyfink @Jozz @Da Peach @FlipSide @konifere @mykel
In the states, every car insurance company I've ever used slowly increases their rates because stuff and junk and things. I rotate every few years because they want new customers. No company I've ever used has NOT slowly increased their rates because stuff and junk and things. I've even come back to the same company with the same damn car, and nothing different other than I didn't use them for 3-4 years, and gotten lower rates than when I left them.

I obviously don't know the nuances of insurance laws in beavertown but it wouldn't surprise me if they use this model as well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not inflation really, but man also everything just costs much more today.

And things that used to be "free", now cost.

Perfect is example is a lot of forests and conservation areas around here are now changing and charging to park at the trail head. The parking prices ain't cheap either.

Last edited:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
You just reminded me that I should check that out for next renewal. Stupidly, when you stay too long with the same insurance company, oftentimes it gets more expensive than swithing to another one every few years.

Edit : Holy shit, the cars insurance went up 45$/month (both my gf and mine together). Fuck that I need to swap companies.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
In the states, every car insurance company I've ever used slowly increases their rates because stuff and junk and things. I rotate every few years because they want new customers. No company I've ever used has NOT slowly increased their rates because stuff and junk and things. I've even come back to the same company with the same damn car, and nothing different other than I didn't use them for 3-4 years, and gotten lower rates than when I left them.

I obviously don't know the nuances of insurance laws in beavertown but it wouldn't surprise me if they use this model as well.
My insurance has gone down over the years. It's just been a dollar here and there, but it's still gone down.

Even when I got a new to me used car in February, it only went up a few dollars, which is to be expected as that car is worth infinitely more than the old turd.

But yeah when I haven't cost them a single penny over the years and they just increase, it doesn't make me happy. But the more I read about this, it seems like a ton of people are experiencing this across Canada.

Definitely going to shop around now, I mean how can I not?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You just reminded me that I should check that out for next renewal. Stupidly, when you stay too long with the same insurance company, oftentimes it gets more expensive than swithing to another one every few years.

Edit : Holy shit, the cars insurance went up 45$/month (both my gf and mine together). Fuck that I need to swap companies.
:mad:

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Okay it wasn't as bad as I had seen, it's only a 10$/month increase this year. I thought I had checked it before not swapping this year. I'll keep an eye out though, thanks for the reminder.

What insults me the most is companies reducing their product quantities for the same price, and doing (for example) bottle designs with a huge internal bump at the bottom so that the bottle seems bigger than it is. It used to be a 2L jug of juice, then it was 1.75L, now most are 1.54L or something like that. Same thing for many other products... it's even got a name : "shrinkflation".

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/info/2023/reduflation/en-produits-epicerie-aliments-encadrement-surveillance-donnees-impact-facture-portefeuille/ (in English)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We have our car with the same company as our house...supposedly that gives some kind of discount. But our concern is where we are is getting very hard to get/keep home insurance, so perhaps worth the extra few $'s it might cost against the car...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When I joined AARP my insurance was reduced by 50%. My phone plan by 40%. A very sexy blond Swiss women stops by on Wednesdays to perform Oral Sex on me. Cocaine is now free. Trays of weed are dropped off for me for a reduced rate. Steaks are only $4 a LB. I don't have to wait in line at the airport. I can park anywhere I like. I just have to act confused when confronted with whatever misdeed I find myself being caught doing. Folks are generally more accepting of my Penis when I whip it out. Even when it is obvious, I am not actually confused. Except in Canada were going against societal norms is strictly frowned upon. Canadian women do not like to be chased around Loblaws with your penis out and throwing Peameal Bacon at them for some reason. Most Canadian Grocery stores have strict policies against exposing yourself while running through the store throwing Bacon at their customers even if I pay for the Bacon before tossing it at them. Fucking Nazis up there.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

allstate was the worst for me when i lived in colorado....good hands people....yeah...fist up your ass dry type of good hands...

since i quit doing stupid shit like speeding while on vacation in other states....i do not notice it going up...

well that and wrecking cars.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My insurance has gone down over the years. It's just been a dollar here and there, but it's still gone down.

Even when I got a new to me used car in February, it only went up a few dollars, which is to be expected as that car is worth infinitely more than the old turd.

But yeah when I haven't cost them a single penny over the years and they just increase, it doesn't make me happy. But the more I read about this, it seems like a ton of people are experiencing this across Canada.

Definitely going to shop around now, I mean how can I not?
i have never owned a new car off the lot.

closest thing was the 2014 vw wagon that i paid cash for in 2019...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What is this tagging shenanigans when I'm two hours deep in a solid night sleep! :think: :D

First. Insurance will cost more because, climate changes. More claims equal higher premiums. It will only get worse. Insurance companies are there to make money, not to protect you.

My technique: (I've been with same company 16 years) When I get my renewal, if I feel the premium is going up excessively, I get quotes at other insurers and call my company and go
:nopity: (no claims, never missed a payment, 16 years, blablabla...)

They usually give me the other companies price. Doing so has sometimes reduced my premium from the previous year.

Disclaimer, it's getting really hard getting a better price elsewhere and it takes so much time to get those quotes.

Also, makes sure your insurance covers the full cost of your bikes.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
One cord of wood was around $100 delivered just a few years ago. I've got a good deal at $135 this spring for semi dry. Local hardware store selling them for $189+tx... :twitch:

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Your insurance rate aren’t going up due to inflation. Loss ratios have taken a huge hit in the last few years at the re-insurance companies(think insurance companies insurance). When they pay huge losses due to climate driven disasters (fires, hurricanes, floods), this is what you get. Be prepared to get completely hosed. Big part of my exodus from the business. The insurance market is going to get much worse before it gets better. I would plan on 20-30% increase across the board.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We have our car with the same company as our house...supposedly that gives some kind of discount. But our concern is where we are is getting very hard to get/keep home insurance, so perhaps worth the extra few $'s it might cost against the car...
We got kicked off State Farm effective 10/26. It's taken 2mos for our broker to find a policy because we're mid-claim with the roof replacement and the replacement policy is $6k/yr. Insurance is gonna start getting ugly.

I need to find out more about what can be used to reduce our costs for the long-term. Our roof will have the high impact resistance shingles, but we will need to figure out everything else we can do too. You're probably going to have to do some substantial fire safety work to keep your insurance reasonable.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The bills for my flat and by gf's flat went 2x up in the last 3 years.

Plane tickets to most places 1.5x-2x up.

Cars? The same car, now 5 years older costs the same.

I earn 150% what earned 5 years ago and I feel maybe 10% richer despite paying of my mortgage so having extra money from that too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shopping for new insurance. Might have fucked up and entered my phone number into the wrong form - lets see how many calls I get out of it. :banghead:

1697459738749.png

:edit:
Not sure if this is a ruse to get me to call them, but this is with CAA. I also have a CAA membership, so that might discount it slightly.

Their online calculator drops it to $86/month, if I omit the speeding ticket that I got 3 years ago (my only moving driving infraction, ever). :rolleyes:

1697460006763.png

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
This is a good reminder to go and check my premiums. I used to be with State Farm, and all my bikes were covered to their replacement value, without the need for a rider. Then they sold their business to Desjardins, and I think that is no longer the case, plus I'm paying more for less coverage on the house. I should also check what they're charging me for my pos 12 year old car.

And things that used to be "free", now cost.

Perfect is example is a lot of forests and conservation areas around here are now changing and charging to park at the trail head. The parking prices ain't cheap either.
this one's easy. Conservative government figures recreation and access to the outdoors should be "pay to play", and cuts funding to provincial parks.

douches.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Your insurance rate aren’t going up due to inflation. Loss ratios have taken a huge hit in the last few years at the re-insurance companies(think insurance companies insurance). When they pay huge losses due to climate driven disasters (fires, hurricanes, floods), this is what you get. Be prepared to get completely hosed. Big part of my exodus from the business. The insurance market is going to get much worse before it gets better. I would plan on 20-30% increase across the board.
How much do you suppose the insurance companies drop annually for advertising just for the NFL games? :disgust:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But spending on this is just plain dumb. It aux when it's actual stuff you need like food and insurance
I can't even imagine. I paid $50 for a pair of replicas I'm going to wear the hell out of. Not sure I would feel comfortable walking around in $1k golf shoes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone buy bike tires recently?
I was in a pinch recently and paid $9.80 for a bike tube, 26" Schrader valve.
Maxxis tires retail for $140+ here, if you walk into a random shop and need one.

Tubes are similar, looking at $12-15 for a regular whatever brand tube.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Maxxis tires retail for $140+ here, if you walk into a random shop and need one.

Tubes are similar, looking at $12-15 for a regular whatever brand tube.
Big reason why I still have 5 year old Maxxis that have probably dry rotted to 120 durometer.

The other being if you don't ride, they don't wear out. Saving myself money here.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Shopping for new insurance. Might have fucked up and entered my phone number into the wrong form - lets see how many calls I get out of it. :banghead:
$500 surcharge? My yearly insurance bill with comprehensive coverage on a 2022 vehicle isn't $500. Holy crap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
$500 surcharge? My yearly insurance bill with comprehensive coverage on a 2022 vehicle isn't $500. Holy crap.
Do you drive one of those mentioned vehicles though?

For the population of Ontario, car thefts are out of control. Some people have their car stolen, recovered and then stolen again.

Lots destined for Africa..