Quantcast

jimmy eat world

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
It may be "emo" rock, but Jimmy Eat World is a talented set of musicians, and I'll admit I own,listen to and enjoy some of their stuff. Clarity was a solid effort, and Bleed American has some really fun stuff on it. Sure, a little bee-boppy on some songs (Praise Chorus,The Middle...) but the music break in Get it Faster is genius, and Hear You Me has a lot of depth and soul...and you have to respect a band that throws a ballad out there in 3/4 time.

I saw someone mentioned Godsmack. The acoustic EP is amazing. Best sh!t I've heard in a while.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
ncrider said:
velvet revolver is a total GNR rip off, but it's cool cause they bring back rock and it looks like Scott Weiland's back on smack!

QUOTE]

Sweet! Rock stars are so much better when their doing drugs!

Again I ask...has anyone heard the Franz Ferdinand CD and is it any good?

I was also thinking of getting Van Halens very first cd...David Lee Roth was such a GREAT rock star.

Jamie's Cryin is one of my faves. I had a video with Jeff Phillips doing a run at Delmar and have loved it since. :thumb: No idea about Franz.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Skookum said:
The guitar scale was a little close to Sweet Child on Fall to Pieces, finally saw the video the other day, i never watch MTV that much....
The album is solid from beginning to end. Trust me i live in Seattle i know these things.... :p :D

Ahhhh...the Seattle music scene...The period of grunge was far too short...such a shame...

I will never make fun of any musician again...jp's roommate was playing his guitar last night and he has this really neat recording device where you can lay down the music, then the vocals. we recorded him playing Poison's every rose has a thorn and then I sang it...it was funny as hell, but I swear to god, it is hard as hell to sing along to a song without having the original lyrics there...He's gonna give me the cd! I tried to get him to let me do some Public Enemy, bring the noise, anthrax style, but it was kinda late...but I think I could maybe rap ok even if there are no lyrics to rap with.

HAHAHAHAHA! I'm gonna put me singing poison on loco's cd I'm gonna make for him! THAT would be a hoot!

J

JRB

THAT would certainly be a hoot. :rolleyes: I can't wait.

Well I can, but would prefer not to.

J

JRB

narlus said:
i know nothing about jimmy eat world, aside from the fact they have one of the lamest names in rock history.

There is that. Pretty awful.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Who is this Jeff Phillips fellow you speak of and what is Delmar.

Two things here - You aren't a skater if you don't know about Jeff Phillips or Del Mar Skatepark. :confused: You also forgot the question mark. ;)

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Those days are looooong behind me bro...
Well - he was around and skated for Sims back in like 86. Had a place in Austin once. Killed himself over a chick in the 90s. :( I don't know when del mar got filled in.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
I never got the connection there...from jimmy eat world to dead skater dude...

Read the whole thread then - it's not hard to keep up. Here's where he came in when you mentioned Van Halen.

Jamie's Cryin is one of my faves. I had a video with Jeff Phillips doing a run at Delmar and have loved it since. No idea about Franz.

I should also mention now that I met GnR when they opened for the Cult on the Electric tour at Palmer Auditorium. They were walking around after the show and we met them. I passed out some flyers I found for a Flaming Lips show at Liberty Lunch for peeps to get their autograph. I didn't get one because I thought they sucked. The irony is, they are currently in my cd player.

There - now it is completely off track. :thumb:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco-gringo said:
Read the whole thread then - it's not hard to keep up. Here's where he came in when you mentioned Van Halen.

Jamie's Cryin is one of my faves. I had a video with Jeff Phillips doing a run at Delmar and have loved it since. No idea about Franz.

I should also mention now that I met GnR when they opened for the Cult on the Electric tour at Palmer Auditorium. They were walking around after the show and we met them. I passed out some flyers I found for a Flaming Lips show at Liberty Lunch for peeps to get their autograph. I didn't get one because I thought they sucked. The irony is, they are currently in my cd player.

There - now it is completely off track. :thumb:
Oh...yeah...okay I see now. Sorry...I had started to reply before I left for physical therapy and then I took a nap in my car. I saw that tour with GNR and The Cult at the Warfield in San Francisco 16.5 years ago! It was fanphuckingtastic. And you shoulda been embarassed passing out flaming lips stuff when early gnr and the cult were present...tool

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tommy stinson's bass parts on the 'mats records should be excised as punishment for him joining GnR. somewhere bob is spinning violently in his grave, enough to make him vomit again.

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Oh...yeah...okay I see now. Sorry...I had started to reply before I left for physical therapy and then I took a nap in my car. I saw that tour with GNR and The Cult at the Warfield in San Francisco 16.5 years ago! It was fanphuckingtastic. And you shoulda been embarassed passing out flaming lips stuff when early gnr and the cult were present...tool

It was just paper I found butthole. Besides, it was before they were sell out crap and we used to see them in Austin a bunch. Not bad back then. Seemed like they played every 2 weeks. Dead Kennedys seemed like they played every 2 days. And yes - the Cult was the schit back then. Still dig on them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
seeing the DKs was one of the best shows ever. peligro showed up late (jello claimed they hadn't seen him since NJ and was wondering if he was in a dumpster) so they auditioned drummers from the audience and played the 1st 3-5 songs that way before the man strolled in and took his rightful place behind the drums.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco-gringo said:
It was just paper I found butthole. Besides, it was before they were sell out crap and we used to see them in Austin a bunch. Not bad back then. Seemed like they played every 2 weeks. Dead Kennedys seemed like they played every 2 days. And yes - the Cult was the schit back then. Still dig on them.

Oh ok...here I was thinking it was that you were like the president f their fan club or something and you were handing out flyers at the show for them...

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Oh ok...here I was thinking it was that you were like the president f their fan club or something and you were handing out flyers at the show for them...
Stop speculating. I was picking up trash and it worked out for some peeps. I used to pick up trash for some reason when I was 16 and drinking. :confused:

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Yes, well I do suppose that picking up trash while drunk is better than handing out flyers for a flaming lips show...

IT WAS BEFORE THEY SUCKED. :mumble: :D

They hadn't even dreamed the stupid vaseline song yet.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the lips rule...regardless of what era you listen to. lend an ear to _telepathic surgery_ sometime. it's hard to recover from the novelty song syndrome (just ask Ween), but don't write 'em off because some overpaid coked-out radio program director only knows one song from any particular band..

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
haha, im going to shoot these guys in concert in a couple weeks. I havent heard their sound yet but its not looking good from this thread...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
loco-gringo said:
I was listening to praise chorus on XM this morning and wondered if the other tunes are worth buying a cd for. I kind of dig it.
Show up to BCGB today at 1:00 and I'll burn you a CD of a bunch of their stuff. But only if you stop making fun of my company ;)

PM me if you're coming.

J

JRB

Austin Bike said:
Show up to BCGB today at 1:00 and I'll burn you a CD of a bunch of their stuff. But only if you stop making fun of my company ;)

PM me if you're coming.

As you can see, can't make it today. Wumpus and I are planning to ride blora or elsewhere tomorrow. Can you make a ride??? Sorry to give Dell crap. I just get bored and my mom-in-law has this weird infatuation with Michael. I mean weird, so I taunt her. I guess it carries over in all aspects. See mushroom thread. I think we are out to get each other.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for those of you who somehow made it to the end of this thread (i just read the first page, quite enough for me :D) yet have no idea what "jimmy eat world" is about, here is a history of emo: http://www.fourfa.com/index.html

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
tommy stinson's bass parts on the 'mats records should be excised as punishment for him joining GnR. somewhere bob is spinning violently in his grave, enough to make him vomit again.
hahahaha.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
dh girlie said:
Since we're on the topic of music and since most new music blows and since I got a gift certificate to Tower for my birfday...has anyone heard that Franz Ferdinand cd? I've only heard that one song, and I like it and I think they have a cool sound.
IMO, don't waste your money, their sound seems "fabricated" it is the flavor of the week (or weak for that matter). If you want to hear a rocking Scottish band try Idlewild...

It's not that Franz sucks it just nothing new and groundbreaking as it's being touted by some reviewers.

As far as jimmy eat world, I know this sounds cliche as all hell but their first major label album (Clarity) was awesome. Then Bleed american was just so so and I kinda gave up on them. I haven't heard the brand newest stuff but I'm sure it's fair to midland.

Buy Clarity, it rocks!

J

JRB

I listened for a while of a preview of the new cd. It sucks and I won't buy it. Classical has more phucking tempo. There were 3 songs that were just awful. No thanks jimmy eat world. Will check on the old stuff, but the new is out. :nope:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
IMO, don't waste your money, their sound seems "fabricated" it is the flavor of the week (or weak for that matter). If you want to hear a rocking Scottish band try Idlewild...
here's my list for scottish bands, and the cd to get 1st:

the delgados (_the great eastern_)
mogwai (_happy songs for happy people_)
arab strap (_mad for sadness_)
belle and sebastian (_if you're feeling sinister_)
josef k (_the only fun in town_)
jesus and mary chain (_psychocandy_)

that should get you started.

the delgados are touring the US soon...can't wait.

J

JRB

I don't have any Jesus and Mary Chain any more, but that will definitely be a wiser spend.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Jumping into this a bit late but, Jimmy Eat World 'Clarity' is an emo classic. Some of the newer stuff might be a bit too pop/mainstream for some peoples' tastes but Clarity stands alone as a modern classic.

-ska todd

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Oh yeah? Well, the bands I listen to are so obscure that even I can't remember their names...I'm core, that's right baby...

I've never understood the stooges who feel it necessary to belittle another's musical taste just because a band they listen to happened to sign a big contract and is now "mainstream". Unless, of course, you're arguing the whole old vs. new Metallica bit...

Jimmy Eat World's latest offering sounds decent to me, though I've only heard a few songs off of it. If it helps to get me any closer to those of you in the cool music lover's club, I still like some music that is obscure enough to not bother mentioning here... c'mon, please guys, I can be a hater too.... really... let me into the club...

J

JRB

s1ngletrack said:
Oh yeah? Well, the bands I listen to are so obscure that even I can't remember their names...I'm core, that's right baby...

I've never understood the stooges who feel it necessary to belittle another's musical taste just because a band they listen to happened to sign a big contract and is now "mainstream". Unless, of course, you're arguing the whole old vs. new Metallica bit...

Jimmy Eat World's latest offering sounds decent to me, though I've only heard a few songs off of it. If it helps to get me any closer to those of you in the cool music lover's club, I still like some music that is obscure enough to not bother mentioning here... c'mon, please guys, I can be a hater too.... really... let me into the club...
No assbags. Sorry - you are not in. :nuts: :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco-gringo said:
This one wasn't an inside joke. The avril levigne thread turned out funny for me and a couple of others. The funniest being that inbred really thinks she is hot.
i really think she is hot as well. in a fake-dirty-slut kinda way. i'd hit it fo sho.