Quantcast

Just ordered my Plasma TV on monday!!!!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I just ordered my 42" Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma. I have been holding off for a long time to let the prices go down. $1450 is cheap enough. Spongbob will be lifesize now.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I got my plasma. It looks awesome. I just watched Blade Runner.

I ended up just going to Circuit City and buying it. Same price and no wait.

The odd thing is, the default settings for the picture look like crap. I used these settings http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px60u-review.html and it looks really good. I'm not sure why Panasonic would ship it with the crap settings. The display model looked like fried ass.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I got my plasma. It looks awesome. I just watched Blade Runner.

I ended up just going to Circuit City and buying it. Same price and no wait.

The odd thing is, the default settings for the picture look like crap. I used these settings http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px60u-review.html and it looks really good. I'm not sure why Panasonic would ship it with the crap settings. The display model looked like fried ass.
I used those same adjustments from that site and it's absolutely amazing, the picture looks so real.:cheers:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
checking the avs forum, there is a lot of info about how you treat the set in the 1st 100 hours...dunno what's fact from fiction.

anyway, best buy has that panny for $2K right now for this weekend...tempting, but damn that silver!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
checking the avs forum, there is a lot of info about how you treat the set in the 1st 100 hours...dunno what's fact from fiction.

anyway, best buy has that panny for $2K right now for this weekend...tempting, but damn that silver!
Yep lets see................... Kick ass picture with a silver bezel, or an alright picture with a black bezel:bonk: For the money the Panasonic is the way to go, the silver will grow on you, it's not my first choice in color, but the picture is way awesome and outweighs the esthetics. I'm getting used to it now. Did I mention the kick ass picture quality?:banana: :happydance:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I was reading that too, most of them were turning the controls down, which is the way the setting were in plasmatvbuyingguide.com. I searched through the manual and never found where the factory setting should be left alone for the first 100 hours. You'd think they would highlight that if it were the case.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
My TH-42PX60U is on the way, should be here late this week, can't wait!

Now I need to find some suitable speakers to go with it, along with a new DVD player. Any suggestions? I'm ripping through AVSForum now but could use some help.

How are you guys liking yours after a few months?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Turn down the contrast and brightness for the first 100 or so hours. If you can, leave it on Discovery HD (the little logo thing doesn't stay on the screen very long, it's not a static image) for a week when you aren't watching it. It's definitely not fiction. People who complain about burn in are the ones that jack up the brightness and contrast right after they get it...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

Now I need to find some suitable speakers to go with it, along with a new DVD player. Any suggestions? I'm ripping through AVSForum now but could use some help.

I love mine still, use these settings listed here. http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px60u-review.html

I have mine set there and the HD picture is totally amazing.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

http://www.oppodigital.com/ has been getting some great press lately. I'm pretty sure we are going to order the 970. A friend, who knows all the tech speak, said its as advanced as the really expensive players.

Where did you order the TV from? We are going to order a TH-42PX600U.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
120" 80"x45" Da-Lite HD Screen
Infocus LP650 HD projector
Denon Receiver 7.1 and DVD player
Safire Titanium Series Speakers and 10" 200w Powered Sub

I have about $4000 in the setup. Did it all myself.

I can't wait for Blue Ray to come down in price.....
Do you run any TV/Cable/Sat feeds to it? I've got a 109" screen and I've been debating about whether or not it would be worth it to go with the HD package DirecTV offers. I don't watch much TV on the screen, but...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
One button press rules them all....

N8 - do you actually have/use that? How many macros does it have? I've got a nice Home Theater Master universal, but I need another universal for my family room and don't feel like spending Home Theater Master coin this time...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N8 - do you actually have/use that? How many macros does it have? I've got a nice Home Theater Master universal, but I need another universal for my family room and don't feel like spending Home Theater Master coin this time...

i press one button for the following actions:

1. watch tv
2. watch dvd
3. listen to cd player
4. listen to radio

it is so simple to set up using the web.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Do you run any TV/Cable/Sat feeds to it? I've got a 109" screen and I've been debating about whether or not it would be worth it to go with the HD package DirecTV offers. I don't watch much TV on the screen, but...
it's $10/month and you get a handful of channels... pretty good programming for the most part. this year DirecTV is supposed to have an explosion of HD channels though... they've added the National Geographic HD channel this week

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got one as well.

Jenn isn't a big fan of controlling volume through the receiver (I'll grant her, when channel hopping it is a pain to not be able to knock the volume up and down in big increments quickly), so I actually have a macro for TV, DVD, VCR, and then separate macros for TV & DVD with the stereo, and two more macros for radio and music from the computer. Also control my electric fireplace through it :p.

Overall, I like the remote once you have it set up and tweaked well. It's easy to set up via the web-based wizards, but the tweaking takes a little time until you figure out the little things that might bug you about the functions - for instance, the button delay was defaulted way too high for my TV, so channel surfing or changing the volume was slow and irritating. It works fairly well now.

My chief complaint is the build quality is pretty crappy, though - the whole thing feels cheap and plastic-y, and dropping it or whacking it hard causes it to reboot. No damage, but it forgets what mode it was in so you need to point it away from the TV or cover it and enter back into your mode.

I wouldn't have paid retail. $29 or whatever I paid for the price error from Dell, though... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
i press one button for the following actions:

1. watch tv
2. watch dvd
3. listen to cd player
4. listen to radio

it is so simple to set up using the web.
Yes... but can it do other macros too? For example, can I program a Macro for each of my favorite channels, rather than having to remember what DirectTV channel number they are? Can I setup a macro to go to channel 613 rather than having to remember that Fox Soccer Channel is 613 and then key in 6-1-3 on the number pad?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
it's $10/month and you get a handful of channels... pretty good programming for the most part. this year DirecTV is supposed to have an explosion of HD channels though... they've added the National Geographic HD channel this week
My question was more about the quality of the picture with an HD feed vs something "standard".

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the is no comparison with the HD picture vs standard.
Yes, I know... but when you're talking about picture quality on an 8' screen, is HD good enough to be worth the extra money considering the limited number of channels? ESPN HD is probably the only HD channel I'd watch at this point. $10/mo or whatever it is plus the cost of an HD receiver for 1 channel is pretty steep... so it had better be a damn fine picture.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes... but can it do other macros too? For example, can I program a Macro for each of my favorite channels, rather than having to remember what DirectTV channel number they are? Can I setup a macro to go to channel 613 rather than having to remember that Fox Soccer Channel is 613 and then key in 6-1-3 on the number pad?
It has a favorite channels listing. I can't remember how many you can do (there's at least 16), and you can assign a picture or text to each of your favorite channels and scroll through them on the remote.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ESPN HD is probably the only HD channel I'd watch at this point. $10/mo or whatever it is plus the cost of an HD receiver for 1 channel is pretty steep... so it had better be a damn fine picture.
ugg... that's the channel (i think there is 2 espn hd channels actually) that i never watch.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've got one as well.

Jenn isn't a big fan of controlling volume through the receiver (I'll grant her, when channel hopping it is a pain to not be able to knock the volume up and down in big increments quickly), so I actually have a macro for TV, DVD, VCR, and then separate macros for TV & DVD with the stereo, and two more macros for radio and music from the computer. Also control my electric fireplace through it :p.

Overall, I like the remote once you have it set up and tweaked well. It's easy to set up via the web-based wizards, but the tweaking takes a little time until you figure out the little things that might bug you about the functions - for instance, the button delay was defaulted way too high for my TV, so channel surfing or changing the volume was slow and irritating. It works fairly well now.

My chief complaint is the build quality is pretty crappy, though - the whole thing feels cheap and plastic-y, and dropping it or whacking it hard causes it to reboot. No damage, but it forgets what mode it was in so you need to point it away from the TV or cover it and enter back into your mode.

I wouldn't have paid retail. $29 or whatever I paid for the price error from Dell, though... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
This is the remote I got, it's F'n expensive (even at the base model I got approx $600) It's well worth it and from what I understand one of the best universal remotes on the market.

http://www.rticorp.com/products/T1.html