Quantcast

Kegarator...build or buy that is the question

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
what say ye fellow :monkey:s?
i've googled for both and found a couple of sweet, albeit mildly expensive $600-$1200 Fridgiare types, or i could mcguyver it and build one. i already have a ss fridge and plan on putting the kegarator just on the other side of the wall separting the kitchen from the dinining room. the idea being that frosted mugs will be within arms reach of the keg. however, ive found plans for a sweet chest freezer/tower tap design wrapped in wood, which would go nicely with the hardwood floors im going to put in. what is a :monkey: to do???

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
valve bouncer said:
WTF is a kegarator? Definitely sounds like something I should know about.
Its basically a home draft system. Typically a keg is stored in a mini fridge with the tap coming out of the top and a co2 tank along side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegerator

I've been contemplating turning my garage fridge into one. The guys at yeti have one with the tap coming out of the side. They can still fit bottles and cans in the fridge along with the keg. And they have the freezer for glasses.

Its a pretty cool set up.

A couple of how to's.

http://www.micromatic.com/templates/static/images/705/Kegerator_door_kit-use_manual.pdf

http://kegerator.johnmasterson.com/

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DRB said:
Its basically a home draft system. Typically a keg is stored in a mini fridge with the tap coming out of the top and a co2 tank along side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegerator

I've been contemplating turning my garage fridge into one. The guys at yeti have one with the tap coming out of the side. They can still fit bottles and cans in the fridge along with the keg. And they have the freezer for glasses.

Its a pretty cool set up.

A couple of how to's.

http://www.micromatic.com/templates/static/images/705/Kegerator_door_kit-use_manual.pdf

http://kegerator.johnmasterson.com/
Cheers DRB.
Just out of interest what's the usual size of a keg in America. Growing up in Australia there were 10 gallon and 18 gallon (I assume English gallons) kegs, nowadays just 50 litres.
Usual size in Japan is 19 litres. Poofs.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
valve bouncer said:
Cheers DRB.
Just out of interest what's the usual size of a keg in America. Growing up in Australia there were 10 gallon and 18 gallon (I assume English gallons) kegs, nowadays just 50 litres.
Usual size in Japan is 19 litres. Poofs.
Main size which is called a 1/2 keg is 15.5 gallons.

There is full keg with is 31 gallons and a 1/4 keg which is? That's right 7.75 gallons.

There are some other sizes but those are the main ones.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
WTF is a kegarator? Definitely sounds like something I should know about.

i m not sure if you are aussie sometimes ;)

we have em at home but don t call em kegerators... loads of home brewers have em... build into a fridge.. last time i was back in oz, a mate up in karratha had one... built into an old regular sized fridge... tap on the front door and an old 18 galloner inside... he makes some decent homebrew... can be expensive to buy the fittings if you buy new, but at home the best way is to visit pubs and see if they have any old taps / spears / kegs that they ll sell ya cheap..

i m going to get into home brewing pretty seriously in the next year or so... probabally as soon as the stash is gone :)

and yes valve, japs when it comes to beer = girls weenis

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
partsbara said:
i m not sure if you are aussie sometimes ;)

we have em at home but don t call em kegerators... loads of home brewers have em... build into a fridge.. last time i was back in oz, a mate up in karratha had one... built into an old regular sized fridge... tap on the front door and an old 18 galloner inside... he makes some decent homebrew... can be expensive to buy the fittings if you buy new, but at home the best way is to visit pubs and see if they have any old taps / spears / kegs that they ll sell ya cheap..

i m going to get into home brewing pretty seriously in the next year or so... probabally as soon as the stash is gone :)

and yes valve, japs when it comes to beer = girls weenis
For some reason I'm surprised you don't have one.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
every home built one i've seen leaks :( I'd love to have one though.. too bad they cost a lot to build up. Maybe in the winter when i dont have bike parts to buy :P

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
thanks for the heads up, but unfortunately i guess i'm 'under a rock' ebay wise as i think ive bought like 2 things off of there, so according to this guys stipulations he'd reject my bid, which would be his loss assuming i won as im dead serious about buying one. i think im going to go for the gusto though and get a full sized dealio, ideally with a freezer on top so i can have plenty of frosty mugs :drool:

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
valve bouncer said:
That was quite funny...have you turned over a new leaf?
thanks man i appreciate that :thumb:

well..we will NEVER agree poilitcally, but outside of that forum i dont see why we can't get along, just as long as we don't talk about politics.

honestly i wish that part of the board had never been added, but as heavily trafficed (sp?) as it is, i am clearly in the minority with that opinion.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
ridetoofast said:
thanks man i appreciate that :thumb:

well..we will NEVER agree poilitcally, but outside of that forum i dont see why we can't get along, just as long as we don't talk about politics.

honestly i wish that part of the board had never been added, but as heavily trafficed (sp?) as it is, i am clearly in the minority with that opinion.

I'll create a private forum for you two so you can write poems for each other.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
ridetoofast said:
actually i think those short ones make keg stands easier. is the demon a closet frat boy???
Yeah. How do you like my frat house?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
actually i'd like to see the rest of that pic as i am ASSuming its the kitchen and i'm considering hardwood in mine. i was originally adiment (sp?) about tile but am beginning to reconsider. from what i can see it has a relaxed look to it...

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
ridetoofast said:
actually i'd like to see the rest of that pic as i am ASSuming its the kitchen and i'm considering hardwood in mine. i was originally adiment (sp?) about tile but am beginning to reconsider. from what i can see it has a relaxed look to it...
I'm not sure what the texture of my wood is called, but its a rough surfaced hickory. I'll never have any other kind of wood now that I have had this. It is VERY hard and the textured surface hides flaws. Big dog claws are no match for that floor.