Quantcast

Kegarator...build or buy that is the question

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
BeerDemon said:
I'll create a private forum for you two so you can write poems for each other.
I'm all about the haiku mate. Here's one for you.

Stainless steel kegerator
Beauty to behold
But why Bud-lite?
:devil: :D

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
I'm all about the haiku mate. Here's one for you.

Stainless steel kegerator
Beauty to behold
But why Bud-lite?
:devil: :D
far q VB :)...

you have a game of edward 40 hands waiting for you when u arrive bastard...

PBR !!!!!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
ridetoofast said:
hey greyhound, did you buy that or retro fit it? and how long does a keg keep if'n you drink off it yourself (or do your friends come over all the time now that they know you have it?)

My wife bought it for me for Christmas. She's great. :agree:

The 1/4 barrels lasts us about two weeks. 1 week if friends are involved. The bigger 1/2 barrels last much longer---about a month depending on how much work stresses me. :monkey:

The Haier kegerator you see there is a good start. It's the same one I have. I'll give you a quick tip: The thermostat isn't really set up to go to the 35-38 degrees you optimally want it to be, so on that model, take the thermo dial off and use a screwdriver to turn it a little further to the right. This will get the temps down further than what the dial can achieve normally. Always remember to clean your lines after every keg, and use about 12-14 lbs of pressure for most all beers. Another key tip: I KNOW you want to drink off your keg as soon as you get it, but do yourself a favor and wait at least 12 hours so that the temps of the beer inside the keg level out with that of the beer lines that are already cold. This reduces a lot of foaming(you can reduce more of it by using at least an 8ft. section of tap line running from the keg to the tap) which can lead you to start fiddling with the pressure settings---which I already told you should be 12-14 lbs. :nope:

Enjoy your kegerator--and if you need any tips or suggestions, just let me know. I've become quite familiar with these things over the last year.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
If I had the room I'd build one so I could have one nitro tap and one CO2 tap as well as the freezer full of Turner pint glasses.
A buddy has one and it nearly seems like more work than it's worth and so far the ales that he's gotten started getting stale after a week.
Here's more info for you:

http://www.alabev.com/draught.htm
www.beveragefactory.com

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I Are Baboon said:
I want to know what kind of beer Greyhound and BeerDemon have in their keg refrigerators.

I usually get the 1/4 barrels(the small ones) so I don't get too bored with what I'm drinking. Of course, I know this is a loaded question on this particular forum---I'll say something like "PBR" or "Miller Lite" and then there'll be several posts about how cheap beer sucks or how I'm wasting the energy to run a kegerator with that in it........but if I answer with something like "Magic Hat Beat-yer-Dog Wheat Ale" or "Green Turtle's Ass Stout" there will several people who will post this -->:drool: letting everyone know just how much of a beer snob they are and to exercise their percieved cultural dominance over the common beer drinker.

So....with that in mind, I'll say that it's beer in that keg--nothing more, nothing less. It quenches my thirst and gives me the buzz I need to keep whipping my children with electrical cords.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Greyhound said:
I usually get the 1/4 barrels(the small ones) so I don't get too bored with what I'm drinking. Of course, I know this is a loaded question on this particular forum---I'll say something like "PBR" or "Miller Lite" and then there'll be several posts about how cheap beer sucks or how I'm wasting the energy to run a kegerator with that in it........but if I answer with something like "Magic Hat Beat-yer-Dog Wheat Ale" or "Green Turtle's Ass Stout" there will several people who will post this -->:drool: letting everyone know just how much of a beer snob they are and to exercise their percieved cultural dominance over the common beer drinker.

So....with that in mind, I'll say that it's beer in that keg--nothing more, nothing less. It quenches my thirst and gives me the buzz I need to keep whipping my children with electrical cords.
Grump.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Greyhound said:

NO2 in the lines and 40s of Cool Colt in the 'fridge, eh?