Quantcast

Kiddie Punk Sucks

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Ok I am going to snap if I hear one more crappy pansy punk song. You know the bands like Sum 41, New Found Glory, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, and any band that has "the" the first word in their name. They all SUCK. Old punk was awesome you know like Suicidal Tendencies. So here we go, what do you guys prefer. ****ty punk or old punk. Because the punk scene has gotten so ridiculious the past few years I ahve started listening to metal. :devil:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wah wah, everyone wants to be hardcore, original, ahead of the trends. my advice: suck it up and don't bag on other peoples' music.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I don't care what others listen to but they all have the most annoying voices. Not to mention that all the songs sound really similiar. I can't suck it up because there are no good local radio stations. I am left listening to other peoples crap.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
even when that music sucks donkey dong.

:D
ok ok, music that sucks donkey dong may be made fun of, by royal decree. but please criticize music on its musical attributes, like being out of tune, poor vocals, use of only 2 chords / all songs on an album in the same key, horrible tube amp distortion, poor lyrics, whatever. don't just say "band X is for pansies" because your group doesn't like band X.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
gschuette said:
Ok I am going to snap if I hear one more crappy pansy punk song. You know the bands like Sum 41, New Found Glory, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, and any band that has "the" the first word in their name. They all SUCK. Old punk was awesome you know like Suicidal Tendencies. So here we go, what do you guys prefer. ****ty punk or old punk. Because the punk scene has gotten so ridiculious the past few years I ahve started listening to metal. :devil:

I am starting to dislike all punk music because of people like you. :stosh:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Toshi said:
ok ok, music that sucks donkey dong may be made fun of, by royal decree. but please criticize music on its musical attributes, like being out of tune, poor vocals, use of only 2 chords / all songs on an album in the same key, horrible tube amp distortion, poor lyrics, whatever. don't just say "band X is for pansies" because your group doesn't like band X.
i can still say burly surly is a loser for liking dire straits.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
There is a line from a punk song that says, "...just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!" Suicidal I believe.

While I agree that some of these newer "punk" bands are pretty weak I don't think they suck that bad... they are just not really punk. They are more power pop than anything else.

I quote Thurston Moore...

"Green Day is NOT punk rock! No punk rock band in history has ever sold a million albums."

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
gschuette said:
I don't care what others listen to but they all have the most annoying voices. Not to mention that all the songs sound really similiar. I can't suck it up because there are no good local radio stations. I am left listening to other peoples crap.
The one thing that annoys me is all the vocals sound like the guys have people grabbin their balls the entire time.... :rolleyes:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
The good thing about the kiddie punk is that it's sorta a 'gateway drug' for kids. They hear Sum 41, NFG, or go to Warped Tour and get hooked. Then they discover their local indie music store or start downloading music and becoming addicted. Sorta like how we all started riding on a Trek 820s or Specialized Hardrocks.

-ska todd

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Ciaran said:
There is a line from a punk song that says, "...just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!" Suicidal I believe.

While I agree that some of these newer "punk" bands are pretty weak I don't think they suck that bad... they are just not really punk. They are more power pop than anything else.

I quote Thurston Moore...

"Green Day is NOT punk rock! No punk rock band in history has ever sold a million albums."
Oh **** you got me it is Suicidal! It is in the song You can't bring me down. I just dislike them for all the cookie cutter albums. You pretty much did a better job makingf the point I was trying to make.They just aren't really punk. They are just poor examples of the genre because of the high standards set back in the day. Maybe I just hate seeing some kiddie punk bands logo on every girls civic I see.

By the way I went on this rant because of this. Some drunk driver just hit my new truck. I wanted to listen to some music to wind down from the ****ty day and all I hear is this music that I just really don't like. I wouldn't normally post like this but I am in a horrible mood and I just wanted to hear some sweet tunes but I just was disappointed.

Suicidal is still the baddest cyco punk band ever! Problem solved guys I just put in Prime Cuts and I'm headbanging to Suicidal!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
gschuette said:
Oh **** you got me it is Suicidal! It is in the song You can't bring me down. I just dislike them for all the cookie cutter albums. You pretty much did a better job makingf the point I was trying to make.They just aren't really punk. They are just poor examples of the genre because of the high standards set back in the day. Maybe I just hate seeing some kiddie punk bands logo on every girls civic I see.

By the way I went on this rant because of this. Some drunk driver just hit my new truck. I wanted to listen to some music to wind down from the ****ty day and all I hear is this music that I just really don't like. I wouldn't normally post like this but I am in a horrible mood and I just wanted to hear some sweet tunes but I just was disappointed.

Suicidal is still the baddest cyco punk band ever! Problem solved guys I just put in Prime Cuts and I'm headbanging to Suicidal!
I find that when Im in a really pissed off mood that listening to MegaDeth, Rhapsody, Shadow Fall, ProBot help me feel better. :D

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Well contrary to popular belief I like it. Honestly I listen to it before I go to bed. The other guy said it best when punk band singers nowadays sound like they have their balls in a vice. pisses me off.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Ciaran said:

so what you are syaing is that they never were punk? or that they were punk got really popular and then suddenly werent punk because they sold a million records.

wow if punk is measued by popularity the i have certainly done my job in keeping punk punk by not buying any of that crap. punk sucks.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
biggins said:
so what you are syaing is that they never were punk? or that they were punk got really popular and then suddenly werent punk because they sold a million records.

wow if punk is measued by popularity the i have certainly done my job in keeping punk punk by not buying any of that crap. punk sucks.
Im sure that The Clash and The Sex Pistols have sold more than 1 million records since they first came out in the 70s....

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I don't think record sales have much to do with what you play. Peeps accused MetallicA of selling oout when they made a video and when they cut their hair. No true they still kick serious ass. The key is to just have am identity. I don't feel that any of the mainstream punk bands have that. Unless you are a fan it is hard to tell them apart. Part of the problem is radio. They only play top 40 with some old top 40 mixed in for good mesure. The bad thing about that is only 1 or 2 songs in the top 40 are any good.

Cool Bands.
Suicidal Tendencies, Pantera, Tool, Metallica, Audioslave, Drowning Pool, Taproot, Seether, System of a Down, Incubus.
Not all those bands are super hard but they just have an identity and you can tell that it is one of their songs just by listening. If all those bands came out with new albums I could probably tell which songs went to each band. On the flip side if New Found Glory, Sum 41, Blink 182, The Used, the band that sings that "I'm sorry i can't be perfect" song,and others came out with new albums i could not tell them apart. They just sound too much alike. It is just like riding a new trail. Something fresh, cool, and fun. The kiddie punk guys are like riding on the same old XC loop all summer. It just loses its fun after a while.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
"I'm not crazy. You the one thats crazy. All I wanted was a Pepsi."
Classic. I highly doubt anyone will say that about "Whats my age again? What's my age again? Nobody likes you when you're 23. blah blah blah.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i have a hard time calling Suicidal Tendencies punk. Institutionalized is the one song of theirs i can really rock out to, though.

Tool sucks. sorry. so do all the stupid ****s that worship the ground Maynard walks on. those kids need a life, and should stop the self-mutilation.

i can pick out a Tool song from any other band's music. it's not hard. i can distinguish between Blink, Simple Plan, New Found Glory, The Ataris, and any other pop punk you can think of. it's not hard. ****, i'm so good i can pick out Lars Frederikson's vocals anywhere. haha

labels, labels, labels...who needs them? who cares?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
biggins said:

I was quoting Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. I think what he was saying is that they are commercial music, which is contrary to the spirit of punk. But that's just my take on it. Personally I have just never found them to be very punk. Kinda bubblegummy actually.

Hey how about Bad Brains? Anyone else like them?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I don't worship Maynard but I know of whom you speak. I just think tool has done some cool **** and is way overdue for a new album.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
While I don't listen to much punk anymore...Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange, Agnostic Front, Misfits, Circle Jerks, D.R.I., are the bands I grew up with. THOSE are real punk bands. And of course....my all-time favorite...

BLACK FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry Rollins is a GOD!!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
anyone have the Killed By Death and Bloodstains Across <insert region name here> boots? very good stuff. they are all compilations of hard to find punk stuff. check 'em out.

Sep 14, 2004
i have a general dislike for the new pop-punk bands but not because
i think that theyre mainstream or cause theyre selling tons of records
i dont like them cause in general theyre all really bad instrumentalists
and play some of themost simple songs ive ever heard.

Morgan

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
NotRyanMorgan said:

Morgan
So the Ramones suck too then because every song is easy to play?

I dont think its a proper gauge, personally.

Sep 14, 2004
honestly i don't really like the ramones but i didnt say they sucked, not trying to get on you but i was targeting most of the newer pop punk bands

Morgan

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
NotRyanMorgan said:
honestly i don't really like the ramones but i didnt say they sucked, not trying to get on you but i was targeting most of the newer pop punk bands

Morgan
Yes, but you're trying to 'judge' music with tangible standards which is just pointless and doesnt work. If there was a simple formula to make 'good' music as in , it has to be complex etc... then music would be pretty lame IMO. I hate the bands too, all of them, but not because their songs are simple, just because I dont like them.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
tail gunner's got a point. music should evoke an emotional response, at the base level. there's really no way to quantify metrics on what's "good" or "bad".

even though we all know mark knopfler creates songs for latent homos who wear dockers and bowties while driving their jeeps.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
NotRyanMorgan said:

Morgan
isn't that most punk, new or old?

i think the drummer from Blink...is it Travis?...is a badass. he's got some crazy chops.

J

JRB

Who cares what anyone likes really??? I asked about Jimmy Eat World stupidly and got some debate started. I like Descendents best. I could care less if anycone else does. I do think it's funny that the dude that started this bashing has a list of greats that doesn't include Descendents OR All, but does host Metallica. Maybe he should go download some of their new stuff since it IS allowed now. :rolleyes: I like Blink 182 ok. I like Suicidal Tendancies, but they got old and still cyco, or whatever the remake cd is, was not as good. Good stuff is old skaterock. It ain't really about punk or not. It's about soul. I never really thought Cargo Cult was punk, but had soul. Listen to what makes you feel good. I do. :thumb:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
NotRyanMorgan said:

Morgan

As much as I dont really like sum 41, Their guitar player, Dave , well, you should really hear him play :thumb:

Their new album really ain't that bad though............

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Uhh, for some reason, i've always liked blink no matter how "big" they are.
Listening to blink has gotten me into stuff like the lillingtons, riverdales, smugglers, pennywise, bad religion, NOFX, mxpx, ramones, clash, anyone off the underground operations label, and etc.
I fking hate these other bands, but still like blink.