Quantcast

Kiddie Punk Sucks

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
.... music should evoke an emotional response, at the base level. there's really no way to quantify metrics on what's "good" or "bad".
I get warm and fuzzy when I put these guys in...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
admittedly, i have listened to avril's cds and there ain't nothing punk about her. so funny that people call her punk.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
loco-gringo said:
Who cares what anyone likes really??? I asked about Jimmy Eat World stupidly and got some debate started. I like Descendents best. I could care less if anycone else does. I do think it's funny that the dude that started this bashing has a list of greats that doesn't include Descendents OR All, but does host Metallica. Maybe he should go download some of their new stuff since it IS allowed now. :rolleyes: I like Blink 182 ok. I like Suicidal Tendancies, but they got old and still cyco, or whatever the remake cd is, was not as good. Good stuff is old skaterock. It ain't really about punk or not. It's about soul. I never really thought Cargo Cult was punk, but had soul. Listen to what makes you feel good. I do. :thumb:
First of all I don't download songs I buy CDs. I try to support the good bands no matter how overpaid they are. Second just cause I don't list someone doesn't mean they suck. I didn't list meat puppets but I still like them(really like the Niravana covers but both are good). What is wrong with Metallica? With St. Anger they changed a lot but I still like them. Kill em all is still one of my favorite CDs.

In response to someone else complexity has no bearing on how good a band is. I just think each band has to have a little bit of signature sound i.e. Korn has a super heavy clicking bass. System of a Down is way spastic and the lyrics are one of a kind.

Another cool band is Clutch. Their new Cd "Blast Tyrant" is awesome. I like it even better that their pure rock fury album. Clutch has a very signature sound thanks to Fallons scratchy vocals.

I am just sick of cookie cutter bands. I want some originality.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
all bands have a signature sound. it's just a matter of what you like.

oh my god, my girlfriend was just able to tell the difference between SRV - Little Wing and Monte Montgomery - Little Wing. that makes me happy.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
loco-gringo said:
I like Descendents best. :thumb:
Would you like whale sprem with that?
ALL
No All
Clean Sheets

Descendets are good.

I still have some old SST stickers.

Bad Brains are good

Fearless Vampire Killer :love:

Punks not dead it just sucks now.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
"Punk's not dead, it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon. A close-minded, self-centered social club Ideas don't matter, it's who you know. If the music's gotten boring It's because of the people Who want everyone to sound the same. Who drive bright people out Of our so-called scene 'Til all that's left Is just a meaningless fad"

-"Chicken**** Conformist" by the Dead Kennedys

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm with you on the new stuff. It's radio-friendly formula punk. Somebody needs to clue these kids in. Punk is more than wearing a Ramones t-shirt while you perform.

gschuette said:
... any band that has "the" the first word in their name. They all SUCK. ...
Come on, The Clash? The Damned? The Stranglers?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
this topic is hilarious.

i really love discussions about music.
its so ridiculous there are no objective criteria to judge a song or a band.

so you like something
go out and buy/download it

you don't like something
switch of MTV/VH-1 or whatever radiosation you listen atthat given moment.

when people start to put something down in favor for something else and they fail to "prove" why what they like is "better"
its allways weird; do you need to put the "other stuff" down to feel that the music you like is better?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
anyone catch ashlee simpson's uncovering of her lip-synching on SNL sat? i switched it on after the WS game. that was hilarious. i wonder who set her up? and her back-tracking was ultra lame, trying to blame the band. F U.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I promised I wouldn't get involved but here is my short rant.

WTF is up with this band called Anti-Flag....

They totally ripped the black flag logo off.

Its just more completely un-orginal corporate Pop music in an effort to get white teeny boppers away from listening to rap and hip hop.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Sh1t - The bands I like are too obscure for me to even remember their names. They're so obscure, in fact, that the only recordings of them are on a little office dictation tape player that I carry around beneath my trench coat just to record the bands that NO-one else has heard. I'd clue all of you fellow RM members in to them - but then they'd be mainstream - and I'd lose my status among the "Corest of the Core" and would have to shave my hawk off and don a suit and tie - that would suck , 'cuz then I'd just be a tool, working for the man - like LG and that sh1tbird s1ngletrack, oh, nevermind... :rolleyes:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
s1ngletrack said:
Sh1t - The bands I like are too obscure for me to even remember their names. They're so obscure, in fact, that the only recordings of them are on a little office dictation tape player that I carry around beneath my trench coat just to record the bands that NO-one else has heard. :

Hah! The bands that I like...hell I haven't even heard them. No one has! They are so cool and obscure, they don't even play.

This thread is hilaaarious.

The new crap is crap, and ALOT of the old crap was crap.

Crap sells, get over it.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ciaran said:
There is a line from a punk song that says, "...just cause you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!" Suicidal I believe.

QUOTE]

Ahhh...GREAT song...You Can't Bring me Down, on the Lights, Camera...Revolution. Theres never been a more, whats the word I'm looking for...right, I guess, statement...especially when it comes to music...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
UiUiUiUi said:
this topic is hilarious.

i really love discussions about music.
its so ridiculous there are no objective criteria to judge a song or a band.

so you like something
go out and buy/download it

you don't like something
switch of MTV/VH-1 or whatever radiosation you listen atthat given moment.

when people start to put something down in favor for something else and they fail to "prove" why what they like is "better"
its allways weird; do you need to put the "other stuff" down to feel that the music you like is better?
Exactly...this seems to be a good time to pull out my famous "Rum Raisin Ice Cream Theory", since it's been a while and it fits so well with the great music arguement. People get so damn emotional about other peoples music...they get all mad and start insulting...it's like, chill...it's just an opinion...would you get as crazy and pissed off if you hated rum raisin ice cream and I said I loved it and it was the best flavor of ice cream in the world??? NO...you'd probably say, whatever...it's icky, but whatever...you're the one eating it... :blah:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
But in this case... to use your analogy it would be more like a group of Ice cream enthusiasts that have had an ice cream club for like 30 years. Along comes a kid with Sorbet or Sherbert (whatever that stuff is) and says it's his favorite ice cream and says he's a hard core ice cream lover.

Sure it's all sugary goodness but it's a little different.

I don't know. I've given up on new music. From the 70's to the 90's I've got enough to listen to, I won't get bored of it.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ridemonkey said:
Suicidal Tendencies - damn I wish I could turn old tapes into digital. Gonna check Itunes for some of that....

You can....
I have a friend that is burning all his old Stones records onto disk.
I'll see what he is using.

J

JRB

s1ngletrack said:
- that would suck , 'cuz then I'd just be a tool, working for the man - like LG and that sh1tbird s1ngletrack, oh, nevermind... :rolleyes:

Hey punk, I'll see your ass on the playground. :nuts: :angry: :D

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
DVNT said:
But in this case... to use your analogy it would be more like a group of Ice cream enthusiasts that have had an ice cream club for like 30 years. Along comes a kid with Sorbet or Sherbert (whatever that stuff is) and says it's his favorite ice cream and says he's a hard core ice cream lover.

I don't know. I've given up on new music. From the 70's to the 90's I've got enough to listen to, I won't get bored of it.
Whatever - sherbert sucks - try "sugary nastiness" Nothing could compare to my old school B&J (before they sold out and got all corporate - now they suck too) ;)

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Exactly...this seems to be a good time to pull out my famous "Rum Raisin Ice Cream Theory", since it's been a while and it fits so well with the great music arguement. People get so damn emotional about other peoples music...they get all mad and start insulting...it's like, chill...it's just an opinion...would you get as crazy and pissed off if you hated rum raisin ice cream and I said I loved it and it was the best flavor of ice cream in the world??? NO...you'd probably say, whatever...it's icky, but whatever...you're the one eating it... :blah:
Good comparison. Can I have my CD now???

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
DVNT said:

I have been making music for more than half my life. One thing I've noticed is that there is a simple level that can be reached by a young musician pretty quickly, and people will listen to simple music. Some of it's crap, some of it's great. It doesn't matter WHEN it is. This simple level is perpetual in music - Blink 182 has alot in common with Black Flag or The Animals or the fu*king Archies if you look at the level of skill involved.

What makes it different? Not much. I think the problem most older punks have is that these new bands are getting rich off of "punk". Relax, it's not really punk. Or maybe it is. Punk, to me, has been a million things over the last 22 years. Is the new crap just as punk as the old crap? Yes. No.

There have been whiney punk bands for years. Somehow they made the money. Go figure.

Who cares? Music that sucks will suck no matter when it's played. If you think it sucks, then it sucks. If you love it, then you love sucky music. Cool.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Wow....
Is this one thread that people aren't allowed to express an OPINION.
I'm not trying to flame this thread which it's probably too late for that anyway.

I was just trying to say that comparing "kiddie" punk to Old school Punk (what most of us grew up with) is complete apples and oranges.
Like saying Nu Metal and Heavy Metal are the same, comparing freakin limp biscuit to Iron Maiden. It doesn't work.
Iron Maiden is way better! ;)

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
DVNT said:
Wow....
I'm not trying to flame this thread which it's probably too late for that anyway.

I was just trying to say that comparing "kiddie" punk to Old school Punk (what most of us grew up with) is complete apples and oranges.
Like saying Nu Metal and Heavy Metal are the same, comparing freakin limp biscuit to Iron Maiden. It doesn't work.
Funny. Back in the day, I knew people that would say Maiden was totally weak, and Slayer or Venom were much better.

:D

It's all opinion. Harping on someone for musical taste is like harping on them for what food they like or don't like.

BTW - Jim Croce rocks.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
bomberz1qr20 said:
Funny. Back in the day, I knew people that would say Maiden was totally weak, and Slayer or Venom were much better.

:D
I had friends like that too. It seemed to start when thrash and death metal was breaking out.
The Faster the better and tons of double bass.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
DVNT said:
Wow....

What are you talking about? Didn't those Maiden guys just release that one song - Run to the Hills? LB at least has more than one song.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
s1ngletrack said:
What are you talking about? Didn't those Maiden guys just release that one song - Run to the Hills? LB at least has more than one song.
Ok stop right there, this is like comparing retarded people.

Maiden totally rocked, AND could be really dumb at the same time. (find the lyrics for "Quest For Fire"...)

LB are so dumb you could go blind looking at the light of their stupidity.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
LOL!

Iron Maiden - Quest For Fire
==============================

Steve Harris

In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth
When the land was swamp and caves were home
In an age when prize possession was fire
To search for landscapes men would roam.

Then the tribes they came to steal their fire
And the wolves they howled into the night
As they fought a vicious angry battle
to save the power of warmth and light.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched all through the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

And they thought that when the embers died away
That the flame of life had burnt and died
Didn't know the sparks that made the fire
Were made by rubbing stick and stone.

So they ploughed through the forest and swamps of danger
And they fought the cannibal tribes and beasts
In the search to find another fire
To regain the power of light and heat.

Drawn by quest for fire
They searched across the land
Drawn by quest for fire
Discovery of man.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
ok ok, music that sucks donkey dong may be made fun of, by royal decree. but please criticize music on its musical attributes, like being out of tune, poor vocals, use of only 2 chords / all songs on an album in the same key, horrible tube amp distortion, poor lyrics, whatever. don't just say "band X is for pansies" because your group doesn't like band X.

those are good reasons to base a critique on music... but..

what if 2 chords-4 notes, no vocals if what you like?? that is exactly what electronic music is, and i like it a lot, specially the unbelievable monotonous electroclash.

in fact, is one of my favorite genres, along with romantic-era piano and lizst-esque complexity, dexterity and technical horowitz-like virtuosos.

to me, both of them are good music.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
bomberz1qr20 said:
Maiden totally rocked, AND could be really dumb at the same time. (find the lyrics for "Quest For Fire"...)
I know, I love the drum into to that song, but have to change it as soon as I hear..... "At a tiiimmmmeeeee, When dinasours walked the eaaaarrtthhh"

Uhhg.

EDIT: Is it me or is RM slow today. :D

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
LOL!!!

Limp Bizkit

"Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)"

Alright partner
Keep on rollin' baby
You know what time it is

Throw your hands up
Ladies and gentlement
Chocolate Starfish
Keep on rolling baby

Move in, now move out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up
Tell me what you're gonna do now
Breath in, now breath out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up

Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'
What?
Come on!
Yeah

Now I know y'all be lovin' this **** right here
L.I.M.P
Bizkit is right here
People in the house put them hands in the air
Cuz if you don't care, then we don't care
1 2 3 times two to the six
Jolts in for your fix with the Limp Bizkit mix
So where the **** you at?
Punk, shut the **** up
And back the **** up
While we **** this track up

Throw your hands up

Move in, now move out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up
Breath in, now breath out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up

What?
Come on
Yeah

You wanna mess with Limp Bizkit? (Yeah)
You cant mess with Limp Bizkit (why?)
Because we get it on (when?)
Every day and every night (oh)
See this platinum thing right here? (uh huh)
Well we're doing it all the time (what?)
So you'd better get some better beats
And uh, get some better rhymes (d'oh!)
We got the gang set
So don't complain yet
24/7 never begging for a raincheck
Old school soldiers passing up the hot ****
That rock ****
And bounce in the mosh pit

Throw your hands up

Move in, now move out
Hands up, now hands down
Back up, back up