Quantcast

Killer Weekend @ Massanutten

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Actually his Indian name is ..."finishes 1 place behind Butch at Massuntten twice" ....but doesn't translate well into the Cherokee language.

By the way Kalan, big big thanks for the front wheel. Did I mess it up at all?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Oh snap, I gotta tell him that one Butch! He was fuming for a good portion of the ride back to Snowshoe that evening. He started working/training for the next race that night.......wanted to road ride rather than chill/party with us on Saturday night! I think he was rather surprised/extremely bummed at his run and subsequent 12th place finish..........he's 110% focused now, that's for sure.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
not as pissed as me. I pulled an "uber" goof. I came out on the dirt road, clicked a gear or two, went cranking into that rocky uphill and SMACK! I cracked my pedal on a rock and tackled my handlebars in desperation.

I came to a dead stop. I had to then try to pedal in a big gear from a dead stop uphill then around the turn and so forth.

I could hear this loud little clock in my head with seconds ticking away....TICK.........TOCK..................................tick......tock.......

But it was all good. I wasn't expecting to even get what result I did. I haven't been on a bike all winter and gained 15 lbs. I was more worried about coming down the mountain with a clean run with my heart nearly exploding and looking at my time being last place. HAH HAH!:p

What does bother me is that me and ..."finishes 1 place behind Butch at Massuntten twice" were in 9th and 10th on the sheet. Then when they posted results online, we magicly lost places and two guys magicly got faster times whereas before they had DNS.:love:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Ya, I noticed that to, where did that change up in the results come from? It seemed fishy and when I told Mikey about the official final results, he mentioned the same thing.

I know Mikey came to a complete stop in a turn after that second road crossing, said he was basically facing up the hill, but was still on his bike. I, on the other hand, just had a very mistake riddled run........bottomed out and smacked my pedal on that first big rock up top (came into it in that rut on the right). I also had a mistake just before that little road crossing (tagged a tree with the hip, hit the next one with the h-bar and shoulder). Also need to improve my fitness big time.......I was out of breath and dying before the long road section, didn't have any energy to pedal. Definitely could have had a much better time if I had stayed as clean as I did in morning practice!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Originally posted by Hulkamaniac
Ya, I noticed that to, where did that change up in the results come from? It seemed fishy and when I told Mikey about the official final results, he mentioned the same thing.

I know Mikey came to a complete stop in a turn after that second road crossing, said he was basically facing up the hill, but was still on his bike. I, on the other hand, just had a very mistake riddled run........bottomed out and smacked my pedal on that first big rock up top (came into it in that rut on the right). I also had a mistake just before that little road crossing (tagged a tree with the hip, hit the next one with the h-bar and shoulder). Also need to improve my fitness big time.......I was out of breath and dying before the long road section, didn't have any energy to pedal. Definitely could have had a much better time if I had stayed as clean as I did in morning practice!
kinda ironic...I always think of Massanutten as justa really fun, not too tough of a course. When I got to the bottom, it was excuse and wreck story day. Everybody was like...I screwed up here...I wiped out there....funny stuff.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Yeah, I felt like I was making a ton of excuses, until I realized everyone was saying the same sort of things! It was my first race back in nearly two years, so I figured I had a good enough reason to suck that bad. It's a super fun course, just to much pedalling for my fat a$$! Mikey and I kinda came to the conclusion that since it was finally dry there, it just encouraged everyone to go that much faster and make more mistakes.

Matt, Mikey does still ride his v10, at least for now. He joined up with the Dirt Works team late in the winter and didn't get to order up the new stuff when everyone else did. Mikey is still waiting for the new hardtail and is using an older piranha (both still at the DW factory). Mikey and BJ Treglia are still waiting on a lot of their team stuff (jersey's, other product, etc).