last night's dinner (quick meal)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
get some water boiling for pasta

take a full boneless chicken breast and pound it flat. S&P both sides
cut up some leeks into slivers (white part only)
mince two cloves of garlic
chop 2-3 slices of pancetta
prepare ~1/2 lb of cut broccoli sprigs
very coarsely chopped portobello caps (2)
pitted and halfed kalamata olives (a couple dozen)

heat a large skillit on med heat
when hot, add a bit oil and the pancetta, and stir for ~30 sec
add the chicken breast and brown on both sides, until just about fully cooked.
meanwhile, w/ a steamer insert on the pasta pot, steam the broccoli until bright green but still crunchy. remove and reserve.
add linguine to the pasta water and cook.
when the chicken's done, remove and reserve, keeping warm.
add the garlic and leeks, stirring constantly; add a bit more oil if needed but use sparingly. after the leeks and garlic soften a bit, deglaze the pan w/ white wine or stock (at least 1/4 cup). add mushrooms, reduce heat a bit, and cover. when the mushrooms have softened, take the chicken, cut into chunks, and return to pan w/ any juices, and the olives and steamed broccoli. mix and cook for a minute or so.

drain pasta (you can toss a bit of pasta water into the skillet; alternatively you can add some heavy cream to the skillet as well), serve w/ the chicken/broccoli/olive/leek/mushroom combo.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we tried a variation of this as a side dish tonight. we used home made pasta, asparagus instead of broccoli, bacon instead of pancetta, (it was available and i didn't want to make another stop.) and left the chicken and olives out completely. (didn't have any) It was definitely a variation of the original recipe but It was awesome. I can't wait to try it with the chicken and pancetta. Thanks for the recipe.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
asparagus is a nice adder too. did you steam it?

homemade pasta... :drool:...
yes we did, lightly, then added it at the end. it was really really good. i almost forgot we have leftovers.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
narlus said:

meanwhile, w/ a steamer insert on the pasta pot, steam the broccoli until bright green but still crunchy. remove and reserve.
add the garlic and leeks, stirring constantly; add a bit more oil if needed but use sparingly. after the leeks and garlic soften a bit, deglaze the pan w/ white wine or stock (at least 1/4 cup). add mushrooms, reduce heat a bit, and cover. when the mushrooms have softened, take the chicken, cut into chunks, and return to pan w/ any juices, and the olives and steamed broccoli. mix and cook for a minute or so.

drain pasta (you can toss a bit of pasta water into the skillet; alternatively you can add some heavy cream to the skillet as well), serve w/ the chicken/broccoli/olive/leek/mushroom combo.

FVCK!!
Why did I wait so long to make this!!??

Made it pretty much to the recipe. The only variation was using fresh red pepper linguine instead of plain egg linguine.
Used 2004 DiStefano Viognier for the white wine reduction.
It's a local winery here owned by a guy I work with.
http://www.distefanowinery.com/
Also the same wine served with dinner. (Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink.)

This will be a new house favorite. Thanks narlus.

Finishing it off now with a steamed Bushmill's Irish Cream in a 1:1 ratio of Starbuck's Coffee Liqueur.....screw decaf.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Came home starving after a ride last night.

1: Dropped a large frozen chicken breast in a frying pan. Chopped it up while cooking.
2: Warmed up some leftover beans and rice in the microwave
3: Took a quick shower while everything was warming up.
4: Threw beans, rice and chicken onto a tortilla.
5: Added some cheese and green chile salsa.

Had a peach for desert.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, when I was pregnant and had time on my hands, I made up a killer batch of meatballs and froze them and homemade sauce. Dinner last night consisted of spaghetti & meatballs without lots of effort :D Also made some parmesan bread (local bakery) into garlic toast too :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
wife made up a bean, red pepper, rice mix, w/ some marinated chicken...toasted a couple of tortillas, applied a liberal splash of sriracha, and eat.

westy, how can you cook a frozen chicken breast straight from the freezer to frying pan?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
wife made up a bean, red pepper, rice mix, w/ some marinated chicken...toasted a couple of tortillas, applied a liberal splash of sriracha, and eat.

westy, how can you cook a frozen chicken breast straight from the freezer to frying pan?

I'm lazy and it works great. I've never tried it with a whole chicken breast, but as the chicken is in the thawing stages it is easy to cut with a spatula. The smaller pieces cook through well before the outside gets dry or burnt.

Living by myself buying anything fresh is an excercise in either wasting food or going to the store everyday. Most of what I eat starts out from the freezer. Things like steak and fish I have to plan ahead a little and throw it in the fridge for a day to thaw.

Tonights fair will have me making stir fry with frozen vegetables and frozen shrimp on top of some leftover rice that I made and froze last week.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
Living by myself buying anything fresh is an excercise in either wasting food or going to the store everyday. Most of what I eat starts out from the freezer. Things like steak and fish I have to plan ahead a little and throw it in the fridge for a day to thaw.
best thing about living in dublin was that the local fruit and veg, and the local butcher was a 5 min walk away...

you should at least get a small potted herb garden going...nothing beats the taste of freshly chopped herbs. :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:

I just made this last night with 2 subs. (onion for leaks and bacon for pancetta)
It was awesome!

I may add some roasted pine nuts to give a crunch next time. but as this recipe sits it is awesome! :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
true that...unless you went extra crazy expensive on the cheese.

CI recommends as 3:1 ratio of pecorino and asiago (i think that's correct, i could be off).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My girl is becoming a vegetarian, so bacon-wrapped pasta is a lot less welcome these days. :nonono:

But eggs are ok, so the other night I made what was basically a mushroom and asparagus "carbonara" with the same eggy sauce. Quite tasty and definitely less fatty. Still not sure if that's a good thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
true that...unless you went extra crazy expensive on the cheese.

CI recommends as 3:1 ratio of pecorino and asiago (i think that's correct, i could be off).
We use the cheap stuff: imported Grana Padano. :D

Edit: I take that back - imported Italian pecorino romano at Costco is cheaper than most cheddar. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Had a quick/easy pasta salad Saturday night. Cooked 1/2kg of pasta and rinsed in cold water. Made a quick dressing of EVOO & balsamic vinegar. Chopped up some fried pruisciutto, sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes. Toasted some pine nuts. Threw everything together in a bowl and served with a salad.........