Quantcast

last night's dinner (quick meal)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Holy old thread bumpage batman!

Maybe not authentic but I think a little cream in the carbonara is ok.

Last night's dinner was two perfect bone-in rib-eyes with a compound butter of shallot, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and S&P and some lightly dressed watercress. Served with a 1999 Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon, these were some of the best steaks we've ever had.

We picked them up at Marin Sun Farms in Point Reyes Station in Marin county on our way home from a weekend in Sonoma county. This is a premium, small-scale purveyor of all grass-fed beef and other meats. Despite all the choices, it was actually easy to select these steaks. Frenched, bone-in ribeyes were exactly what we wanted, and these were gorgeous - about 1.2 pounds each, well marbled but not gristly.

I seasoned them heavily with coarse S&P and seared them in a blazing hot cast iron pan (no oil) for a few minutes on one side, then flipped them over and put them in the oven at 400 for another 4 minutes. Then onto a plate with a pat of the compound butter to rest for another 8 minutes or so, before serving them drizzled with the juices from the resting plate and a little more butter.

They had a perfect crunchy crust (dark dark brown, not black), with super juicy rare centers. The butter gave just the right amount of aromatics and herbs, and the greens were a welcome bitter counterpoint. Simple, and simply tremendous.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Holy old thread bumpage batman!

Maybe not authentic but I think a little cream in the carbonara is ok.
I don't give a rat's a$$ if narlus approves of my carbonara. :D

Last night's dinner was two perfect bone-in rib-eyes with a compound butter of shallot, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and S&P and some lightly dressed watercress. Served with a 1999 Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon, these were some of the best steaks we've ever had.
Fokkin' 'ell man... :drool:

We picked them up at Marin Sun Farms in Point Reyes Station in Marin county on our way home from a weekend in Sonoma county. This is a premium, small-scale purveyor of all grass-fed beef and other meats. Despite all the choices, it was actually easy to select these steaks. Frenched, bone-in ribeyes were exactly what we wanted, and these were gorgeous - about 1.2 pounds each, well marbled but not gristly.
Goddam hippies. :p

I seasoned them heavily with coarse S&P and seared them in a blazing hot cast iron pan (no oil) for a few minutes on one side, then flipped them over and put them in the oven at 400 for another 4 minutes. Then onto a plate with a pat of the compound butter to rest for another 8 minutes or so, before serving them drizzled with the juices from the resting plate and a little more butter.

They had a perfect crunchy crust (dark dark brown, not black), with super juicy rare centers. The butter gave just the right amount of aromatics and herbs, and the greens were a welcome bitter counterpoint. Simple, and simply tremendous.
I vote this SMOTY. :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I vote this SMOTY. :thumb:
Steak method of the year? Thanks! The key for me was understanding that with cast iron, you the need to put them in the oven as soon as you flip them - the pan retains enough heat that they sear on the second side in the oven, then gently cook through.

FYI, these were thick steaks - 1 1/2" at least. Thinner steaks need no more than two minutes on the first side, and only a few minutes in the oven. (That said, I like 'em rare, so adjust to your taste.)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Steak method of the year? Thanks! The key for me was understanding that with cast iron, you the need to put them in the oven as soon as you flip them - the pan retains enough heat that they sear on the second side in the oven, then gently cook through.
Simple Meal of the Year. :thumb:

FYI, these were thick steaks - 1 1/2" at least. Thinner steaks need no more than two minutes on the first side, and only a few minutes in the oven. (That said, I like 'em rare, so adjust to your taste.)
Thinner steaks make Baby Jeebus cry. :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I don't give a rat's a$$ if narlus approves of my carbonara. :D
your use of smilies says otherwise. :busted:

og, sounds good!

i did a bit of pan-roasting myself this weekend.

took two duck breasts and cooked 'em slowly on the rangetop, and rendered the fat. probably cooked 'em for ~15 minutes until the pan-side was browned up nice. flipped 'em and cooked them for ~3-4 minutes, then into a hot oven (~400). drained the fat, and used some of it to fry up some potatoes (i'd par-boiled them). i'd also cooked up some leeks and cippolini onions separately, and once the potatoes were browned i took 'em out, deglazed the pan w/ chicken broth, and added the potatoes and onions back in.

for the sauce i took the pan, added in a chopped shallot, deglazed w/ brandy and reduced, added 2 tbsp of demi-glace, and a bit of broth too...reduced, took out some of the shallots, and served over the duck (cut at an angle, and it was cooked more to the rare side than medium rare.

we also steamed up some broccoli, and had some french bread. libation was a '98 Cote-Rotie from Guigal. awesome!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it was pretty easy to make, and cheaper than buying filet mignons. i'll be doing it again. i roasted a duck once, and that was a greasy mess...this is a lot easier and cleanup is a breeze too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Last night's dinner was a simple tasty pasta with roasted butternut squash, pine nuts, and sage.

Diced and roasted the squash in a hot oven with just a little olive oil, s&p, and chopped sage until soft and just getting some browning. Meanwhile boiled the pasta - bowties this time - in heavily salted water, and toasted some pine nuts. Reserved a little pasta water, drained the pasta, and added it to the pan with the squash, with a little of the reserved water. Tossed with more sage, fresh grated parm, and the toasted pine nuts. Easy and tasty, good wintery thing going on, and a rare vegetarian meal - a welcome thing this time of year! Much easier and less mess than squash risotto but a similar combination.