Quantcast

Lease nearly over, new car time.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Think I'm going to buy a used car this time with 30ish thousand miles. Any suggestions?

Current car: VW GTI
Happy with it but I'm sick of front wheel drive. I like quick cars and the GTI could be properly quick with a couple of small mods, but adding more power would increase the torque steer and traction would be impossible.

These are the cars in the running:
08 Subaru WRX STI
08 VW R32
06 Audi S4
08 Mitsu Evo 10
06 Mazdaspeed 6

Here's my thoughts on the cars above:

I love the Subie STI, it's my favorite. Has everything I want but they seem to be REALLY overpriced. $25k+ with 30k miles... you can almost get a Mercedes for that. Are these cars THAT valuable? Maybe they are crazy reliable?

The r32 seems like the perfect solution... Other than the lack of thrust and the FWD I love my current car, this car seems to address all my issues. Plus it sounds amazing.

I really cant believe that I am considering the S4. I can afford it, but it's hard to believe I have the capability to get a 340hp Audi with wood trim and sh!t.

Out of all the cars The Evo is the fastest. My only problem with it is it's looks. It seems to have an awful lot of plastic glued onto it. It'd have to lose that spoiler at the very least. I also question the reliability of Mitsu.

The Mazda, looks a bit bland but its hard to ignore the fact that it hits every mark on my checklist yet it's easily $5k cheaper than the rest. Probably will be the most reliable too.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
-the Evo are definitely cheap feeling, but fast. AWD not as nice as Subbie's
-R32 is way overpriced for what it is...like you said, you can make a GTI faster for less money, but itll be FWD.
-the old Mazdaspeed 6's are blah IMO. the newer ones are much nicer-
-S4 is nice...besides for the typical Audi problems-
-the STi is nice too, fairly large inside, makes enough power, AWD and isnt as bad in quality to the old STi's.

Okraz

Chimp
Jun 18, 2008
Personally, I would only consider the Subaru or VW. I owned a 2003 GTI and was in your spot a couple years ago...I traded it in for a Subie and never regretted it for a second.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
-R32 is way overpriced for what it is...like you said, you can make a GTI faster for less money, but itll be FWD.
I feel the need to defend VW a bit here. People are always saying that the GTIs are overpriced for what they are. I don't agree at all... sure, you can get a car with all the same features for a few thousand less, but does it feel like it's as nice when you get behind the wheel? Hell no it doesn't! And that "Hell no" is worth some coin in my book. With the r32 you get the same car with AWD, more power, really nice leather seats and every option available on the GTI. All that makes it nicer than most cars on the road and as nice as some cars that cost $10k more.

Actually just typing that I think I am leaning more toward the r32 than any other car on the list now, haha.

Edit: BTW I feel the same about the Mini S... yeah they seem overpriced and kinda gay, until you drive one and are saying "Sh!t this is a freaking nice car!". I remember driving a cheaper Civic Si after the Mini S and thinking, "this thing is overpriced, not even in the same class as the mini".

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
-the old Mazdaspeed 6's are blah IMO. the newer ones are much nicer-
I don't think they make the Mazdaspeed 6 anymore if newer ones mean the latest 6 model. The review I saw the car drove really well. My be a sleeper car you can find for a good price.

R32 i really nice!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I feel the need to defend VW a bit here. People are always saying that the GTIs are overpriced for what they are. I don't agree at all... sure, you can get a car with all the same features for a few thousand less, but does it feel like it's as nice when you get behind the wheel? Hell no it doesn't! And that "Hell no" is worth some coin in my book. With the r32 you get the same car with AWD, more power, really nice leather seats and every option available on the GTI. All that makes it nicer than most cars on the road and as nice as some cars that cost $10k more.

Actually just typing that I think I am leaning more toward the r32 than any other car on the list now, haha.
It's just a glorified Rabbit. ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
R32s are very overpriced, and heavy. Keep in mind that the R32 is FWD until those wheels slip. Driving dynamics are going to be extremely similar to FWD except in the snow...if you have a problem with the GTI being FWD, forget the R32, it won't fix it.

The audi would be a great car, but do not buy one unless you can get it with either a factory or aftermarket warranty, which aren't usually too expensive. They are beautiful cars and nothing compares to a nice german auto, but repairs are killer on these cars, and without a warranty you might be looking at a hefty bill for something silly.

The MS6 is a nice car, but it's also FWD/AWD haldex system like the r32, and the rear seats don't fold down unless you disassemble them....so no bikes in the back. Otherwise a very nice car, with great styling.

The evo is a great car but just so cheap and ricey. I would love one, but don't know much about reliability and such. The AWD system is very simlar to the STI differential wise, but you're in a transverse layout and therefore better weight distribution...if that matters.

The STI is way up on my list, too, but I've heard rumors that the STI is "as fast" as the WRX, with a hefty premium. Not sure if that's true, but you may want to look into the WRX if so. I love the new hatchback design, and I think the STI accoutrements make it look even better...

Hope that helps, somewhat. I'd steer clear of the R32 unless you're a VW fanboy...the STI and EVO are faster and have better AWD systems than the R32 by a mile...so does the S4.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The STI is way up on my list, too, but I've heard rumors that the STI is "as fast" as the WRX, with a hefty premium. Not sure if that's true, but you may want to look into the WRX if so. I love the new hatchback design, and I think the STI accoutrements make it look even better...
Yep.
Honestly, if I was him, I would just buy a new WRX which would sell for the same price he is looking at used STI's for.
Then he knows he is not buying a car that some dip**** teenager redlined for 30,000 miles.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I loved my buddies r32, added a chip, exhaust, etc and new coilovers and wheels and the thing was a beast, handled montana winters just fine.

STI is sick as well but ugh hatchbacks are for the gays

S4 would be my top choice but make sure it was driven lightly, has all mait records, and has a 100+k mile warranty as mentioned before. Those cars love to rape your wallet

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
A regular 'ol A4 with a 1.8T is going to be wicked fast and a lot cheaper.
Still have to deal with the quirks of an Audi though.

A WRX with mods would save a lot on purchase price and insurance over an STi.

I like my 2wd Mazda 6. My one complaint about it the fwd. It eats tires and it has horrible torque steer. While a nice car, it's not really in the same class as an Sti or S4. ie, you're somewhat interested in prestige that a ford built mazda doesn't have.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Another car that should be on your list is a Volvo S40. With the right trim, they are fast and comfortable. I was blown away when I test drove the V50.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Yep.
Honestly, if I was him, I would just buy a new WRX which would sell for the same price he is looking at used STI's for.
Then he knows he is not buying a car that some dip**** teenager redlined for 30,000 miles.
I've driven the standard WRX. I wasn't impressed by it's quickness at all, slightly faster than my GTI. Plus to get the hatchback you need to spend extra dough. I'd rather get my hands on the real deal. As long as it has all the service records... And I wont buy one that has the signs of being owned by a tard. Mods, added boost guages, rims, shifter knobs, etc, etc. I'll only consider one that is totally stock and looks like it's been kept in a garage by an adult gearhead like myself.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Sounds like it's hard to go wrong with any of those.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Mazda3. I drove an '09 WRX a couple weeks ago and was a little underwhelmed. The interior just seems kinda cheapo compared to my Mazda. Way faster, no comparison in fact, but just not as nice a feeling inside to drive.

An STI on the other hand... never sat in one. But the seats alone would probably sell me if I could afford it.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I drove a 2004 R32 for four years. You can still find one with low miles. You will pay a premium, but it's worth it. I loved that car after four years as much as day one. I only sold it to survive. The MkIV was actually lighter than the STI. It was pretty quick and sounded even better than the MkV. It was also very solid. I had a coilpack go out at 70k. Otherwise it gave me no trouble.

I talked to a guy who had an STI and he said it was hard to live with daily. He wished he had gotten an R32 instead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The GTIs electric assisted steering should prevent any torque steer. Mine certainly does. The 2010 models have limited slip diffs which should help traction greatly. If you have traction problems after that you really shouldn't be driving on public roads, unless you are complaining about snow driving.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
If your primary concern is what is the fastest then go with as STI or EVO but you gotta be careful on used ones as alot of them have been beat to crap by boy-racers. If you want an awesome alternative that is not quite as quick but a much more comfortable and solid car go with an R-32. I have a 2008 and I love it. Go for a 500 mile drive in it compared to an EVO or STI and there is no comparison and it of course has the VW/Audi interior which is far superior in quality and comfort to anything out there. The DSG trans is awesome and I am normally a stick guy. I've had a few S4's and they have been bullet proof with no major issues (100,000 miles+) - but if you do have one out of warranty and need some major repairs it can be very expensive.
The recent S4's are the 4.2 V8 and best mpg I got was 21-22 on the highway, if that is even a concern. R-32 or S4 i would pay a few more $$ and buy one from a dealer so you get the factory certified warranty to 100,000 miles.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I know quite a few people that drive an STI and they love the car. Ya, they're over-priced and the insurance is a killer.
Just if you buy one...don't drive like a total d-bag! I know when I first drove one, I felt like that car could handle everything, so I drove it like an idiot.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
The GTIs electric assisted steering should prevent any torque steer. Mine certainly does. The 2010 models have limited slip diffs which should help traction greatly. If you have traction problems after that you really shouldn't be driving on public roads, unless you are complaining about snow driving.
I think we own the exact same car and you're right the GTI's torque steer is very minimal. It's literally the perfect FWD sport hatchback... VW gave it just enough power to be quick, but not enough that the FWD platform couldn't handle it. The 2010 diff may help a little but you can't change facts. When you accelerate weight shifts to the rear wheels.

My problem is that I'm a gearhead at heart... I still miss my 350+ HP V8 muscle car from the days when I was still wrenching. I miss having that raw startling acceleration, and as much as I want the GTI to have it, it just won't be able to put the torque down so I'm not going to waste my time trying to make a car into something that it's not.

BTW you mentioned snow... the GTI is laughable on snow, freaking useless. I'm sure you learned that the hard way as well. I had a pretty comical trip home from work last winter.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I know quite a few people that drive an STI and they love the car. Ya, they're over-priced and the insurance is a killer.
Just if you buy one...don't drive like a total d-bag! I know when I first drove one, I felt like that car could handle everything, so I drove it like an idiot.
LOL. I'm closing in on 35... I'm past street racing and driving like a tool. I just like fast cars. I've been a car nut since I was a little boy (runs in the family) and now I am in the position where I can buy one of the cars that I would have drooled over as a kid so I'm going to do it.

If I want to race or drive crazy fast I'll go to a track day or go do another BMW M School. BTW my father and I are eventually going to take another trip to either another M School or maybe a formula school. Haven't decided yet, but we both thought M School was an amazing experience.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
BTW you mentioned snow... the GTI is laughable on snow, freaking useless. I'm sure you learned that the hard way as well. I had a pretty comical trip home from work last winter.
Was that with good winter/snow tires. I have driven many front wheel drive cars in the winter with no problem with winter tires.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Was that with good winter/snow tires. I have driven many front wheel drive cars in the winter with no problem with winter tires.
I have too... my wife's car will go in anything, it'll plow through 14" of snow no problem. My car is basically a turbocharged bobsled with doors. Came stock with 4 Bridgestone Potenza fresh powder skis.