Quantcast

lenzer-freakin-heide!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
exactly. but why?! in the ski world, it's almost like viewership is from biking.... the big draw in skiing is alpine, and nobody (relatively) watches nordic... whereas in biking, road is the big draw, and people look at me funny when I say I watched a dowhill mtb race this weekend.

I also have to wonder why skiing is so much more popular than biking in terms of viewership?! arguably, biking is waaaay more accessible, and probably has waaaaay more participants worldwide. And yet no one watches it outside a few diehard fans. Why?
Road is more popular because it's old. That's all. Most people still don't watch road. They simply understand people watch it because it's on linear TV and they've seen it while flicking channels

There are only select countries with big road viewing numbers but those numbers are still not high enough to take the feed off eurosport and into big f2a channels

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Road is more popular because it's old. That's all. Most people still don't watch road. They simply understand people watch it because it's on linear TV and they've seen it while flicking channels

There are only select countries with big road viewing numbers but those numbers are still not high enough to take the feed off eurosport and into big f2a channels
Oh. RLY?
I mustn't be sat here watching the evening TDF highlights show right now on UK terrestrial TV at all then.
DSC_0001.JPG

Weird.

A quick google says the TDF gets 1 billion TV viewers worldwide each year.
it doesn't matter if they're flicking past it or just tuning in to see pretty European scenery. No one is doing either of those things when DH WCs are shown.

I get that you prefer DH but please stop talking pish

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
exactly. but why?! in the ski world, it's almost like viewership is from biking.... the big draw in skiing is alpine, and nobody (relatively) watches nordic... whereas in biking, road is the big draw, and people look at me funny when I say I watched a dowhill mtb race this weekend.

I also have to wonder why skiing is so much more popular than biking in terms of viewership?! arguably, biking is waaaay more accessible, and probably has waaaaay more participants worldwide. And yet no one watches it outside a few diehard fans. Why?
add shooting guns to nordic and you get a literally stadium filler sport called biathlon

1657565734107.jpeg

veltins arena, in the middle of the ruhr metropolitan area, no mountains or snow whatsoever around

they needed to transport snow from the alpes on lorries to make the event happen

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
WTF does my comment on the Scottish sport Golf have to do with London?

Longer established Sports tend to run smoothly with consistent viewing, participation and money. Which is exactly what I meant by Golf being a better "Sport" . Golf has been around since the 15th century. DH mtb has barely been around 40years.
It's also a waaay more accessible and affordable sport than DH mtb

It goes without saying everyone here prefers DH to golf so it's utterly pointless mentioning it.

BBut Avy
I swear Gary,you try to make me look a idiot,you do not read my post,you take little bit’s and get agro.

“No Avy,I don’t need to help you look like a idiot,you are doing fine all by you’re self” Taken.

I ask‘ed you,How is Golf a better sport?

No Reply. Then you’re above statement. Not to me.

Only the above statement should have said “more lucrative”, not “Better”, you numb cunt.

I already know this,but somehow you think I cannot grasp it? So you rip me and said Stupid Shit.

Put up a Picture of Gwin’s House and sayin I’m in the bushes. Like I don’t know that is not there Only Salary?
You Feel Good?

I thought most of us here are in our 50’s. Makin me try to explain simple shit to you that you rip me on? Waste of fucking time. I don’t mind a good argument,as long as there is respect. I don’t like Bullies.

Avy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Here in Denmark road cycling is huge! In the news outlets the war in the Ukraine has been replaced by "Five experts analyse the chances of Vingegaard against Pogacar"-type articles

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
what else could you do with a bike in the land of no mountains?
Funnily enough are some of the best cyclists from here, although there are no mountains. Not only on the road but also on the MTB side of things (although XC): Degn, Langvaad, Djernis, Andreassen, Bohé...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Only the above statement should have said “more lucrative”, not “Better”, you numb cunt.
Ok.
Golf as a sport vs DH mtb
  • Has been around for centuries and has an absolutely vast history
  • Is properly structured world wide from grassroots competition to the highest tier
  • is accessible to a far wider audience (both in participation and viewing)
  • can be played in pretty much every country by people of ALL backgrounds, social and economic classes
  • is also a sport that takes massive amounts of skill to master
  • As a "sport" has an infinitely larger fan base and higher participant numbers to ALL cycle sport categories combined
Have you ever even played it?
Swinging a stick to connect and drive a little white ball 450metres to come to a stop at a little flag barely visible blowing around in the distance is actually a lot more difficult than riding down any WC DH track.

Now. it's your turn. instead of calling me a "cunt" and at the same time crying that your 50yr old ass is being bullied how about telling me just how DH mtb is a "better" Sport?
You should probably first read up on what "sport" actually is

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Road cycling is bigger here than mtb too.
I'd be surprised if the same were not true in the US

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ok.
  • Is properly structured world wide from grassroots competition to the highest tier
  • can be played in pretty much every country by people of ALL backgrounds, social and economic classes
  • As a "sport" has an infinitely larger fan base and higher participant numbers to ALL cycle sport categories combined
Swinging a stick to connect and drive a little white ball 450metres to come to a stop at a little flag barely visible blowing around in the distance is actually a lot more difficult than riding down any WC DH track.

Now. it's your turn. instead of calling me a "cunt" and at the same time crying that your 50yr old ass is being bullied how about telling me just how DH mtb is a "better" Sport?
gimme a break... you really think golf is more accessible than riding bikes?! how exquisitely colonial of you... there's echos of "let them eat cake" in that...

I suppose poker, snooker, and chess all fall under the definition of sport by that definition... why bother having different words if they all mean the same thing... (sport, activity, leisure, game)...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Ok.

Nevermind Gary.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you really think golf is more accessible than riding bikes
Aye.
one club a few golf balls and the closest open grassy area is how almost every Scottish laddie started
almost as accessible as football. OG Scottish football. not the stupid american version that requires loads of stupid expensive equipment.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmm. Ignoring the whole golf talk in a DH forum, this seems off.

Swinging a stick at a ball isn't that hard. Half the time there is copious amounts of beer involved too. And the balls usually always ends up in the hole.

Compare that to navigating down some DH tracks, which to some can be downright scary, takes some actual earned skills. You can't just hop on a bike and ride down some of those trails if all you've ever done is riding on a golf course path. I mean, you could, but it probably won't end well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hmm. Ignoring the whole golf talk in a DH forum
My entire point here was simply to point out how fucking stupid it was of Avy and Norbar bringing irrelevant but far more established and successful sports into the discussion.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Aye.
one club a few golf balls and the closest open grassy area is how almost every Scottish laddie started
almost as accessible as football. OG Scottish football. not the stupid american version that requires loads of stupid expensive equipment.
in germany you need to have a certain handicap to be even allowed to play on a course, also expensive. rich people‘s sport. don‘t confuse your hinterwäldler highlands with the real world where more than 10 people per square km live

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
you don't actually need a course.
We grew up with random clubs from a second hand store, my contribution was an ancient 7-iron. Playing in the local park where particular trees were the target.

Anyway. Miriam and Jean Girard both monstered that DH course.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Road is more popular because it's old. That's all. Most people still don't watch road.
"The Tour de France is the most prestigious cycling race in the world, reaching more than 15 million spectators and over 1 billion television viewers from all over the world."

spoken like a man who's never even picked up a club.
How else do you hunt seals?

On-topic this level of perfection is inhuman

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
RM speculation - his bars look a bit wide reach 2mm short and compression setting all wrong for that damper

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah man, he just makes it look easy.

I think he was the only rider I noticed to go into the grass in the first turn. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Anyways, as someone else said, very precise. The next French Alien? He doesn't quite have the vocab of Nico, but with skills like that, who cares?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
RM speculation - his bars look a bit wide reach 2mm short and compression setting all wrong for that damper
There's a pic of him on Insta after the race with his shirt off and the dude is friggen jacked. Decent bit bigger than a lot of the other top riders we've seen the past few years. I don't think the bike has a choice but to do what he tells it to do.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
"The Tour de France is the most prestigious cycling race in the world, reaching more than 15 million spectators and over 1 billion television viewers from all over the world."

How else do you hunt seals?

On-topic this level of perfection is inhuman

I mean I'm not debating TDF is watched.

Though 1 bilion number is BS. Sorry but it is. I know my TV stats. Nothing on earth gets 1 billion viewers. Nothing on earth gets even close. It's them being creative with numbers over the years and counting some people many times over.

Generally TDF and Giro and Vuelta are big in big road countries but that's that. Outside of those countries thare are not as big events. I can literally check in some select countries for data if needed but generally if they did as well globally they'd never land on Eurosport.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My entire point here was simply to point out how fucking stupid it was of Avy and Norbar bringing irrelevant but far more established and successful sports into the discussion.
Naah. I didn't bring them. I talked about them after you talked about them and made the claim they are "better sports". I mean that statement literally made me make a Tucker Carlson face.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ok.

So
1. History doesn't make a sport great. It only means it was started earlier
2. This doesn't mean the sport is great but well organized
3. It's not accessible to a far wider audience. Not everyone is living on that damp island of yours. A lot of the world is not well suited for grass (hear that americans and your southern state lawns?)
4. Can't be played in every country without massive environmental costs.
5. Yea it takes skill to master but are we defining sports by difficulty now? Because if that's the case some really stupid obscure sports become best sports.
6. AS a sport it also has a history of racism and classism.
7. No sport is "better" that whole statement is dumb AF. Golf sucks tho because outside of UK it's not available to everyone. It screws up the environment and the culture has also some really really bad history that you conviniently ommit.
8. Claiming a sport is better because it's more popular is like claiming Jersey Shore is better than Schindlers list because it's more popular. Gary I get that you like to be a contrarian but jesus fucking christ.

Seriously you like Golf? Great. I even like watching it but this whole hole ball stick tirade is silly.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"My entire point here was simply to point out how fucking stupid it was of Avy and Norbar bringing irrelevant but far more established and successful sports into the discussion. "
Naah. I didn't bring them.
No. You 100% did.
Avy brought up Tennis and Golf
You brought up road racing, XC racing and MMA (and possibly something else but I can't be arsed to go back and look)

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seriously you like Golf?
No. I don't particularly like Golf at all. I actually said so in the first instance replying to Avy.

Read it again... carefully
It's really not my bag but in many ways Golf is a far better sport than DH
and in many ways it is. it's indisputably a way more successful and infinitely longer standing sport for starters.
I'm not sure why you're losing your shit over it.
Do you own DH mountainbiking™ or something?
are you actually Chad?

Last edited: