Quantcast

Looking for QUALITY white rims...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
zedro said:
no kidding, why comprimise for looks
That's why I'm asking, I don't know what's "the rim" anymore, it changes every month. I love my MTXs, just didn't know if it's worth the time and money to PC them, plus expose them to the heat, if there was something stronger out there.
I want white rims as I just picked up an 06 Demo 8...and the only color option is Ano'd fugging BROWN. It'll be sick when I'm done though, all white Deity components, white rims, white 888 lowers.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
THRILLSEEKA said:
That's why I'm asking, I don't know what's "the rim" anymore, it changes every month. I love my MTXs, just didn't know if it's worth the time and money to PC them, plus expose them to the heat, if there was something stronger out there.
Never and I meen never rebuild a rim. The heat isn't the issue, once a rim has been built and ridden it's trash, if you respoke it, it will fail quickly.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
rattle can plus clear coat should do the trick. it's a squishy bike, the rims are going to get banged up. just take your time spraying them before the build up and they should look fine. why bother with powder coat unless you have a good hook up.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've def got a good connection, like prob $20 to PC the rims and a few other odds and end profesionaly, but I've NEVER heard you're not supposed to respoke a rim. Is that even true, or just a theory? As much as I research stuff, you'd think I would have heard that atleast ONCE before...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
THRILLSEEKA said:
I've def got a good connection, like prob $20 to PC the rims and a few other odds and end profesionaly, but I've NEVER heard you're not supposed to respoke a rim. Is that even true, or just a theory? As much as I research stuff, you'd think I would have heard that atleast ONCE before...
It is technicaly possible to pull it off but you must use the exact same spoke pattern, and get the hub lined up in exactly the same way it was originaly.

This isn't scientificly proven, but when I worked at a shop I built 600-700 wheels a year with very few exceptions every rebuilt wheel failed within a month. None of the DH wheels I've built using new rims and new spokes have failed in the first season under normall circumstances. Car crashes and 25 foot drops to flat concrete excepeted.

The risk in $ and skin isn't worth the cost of new rims.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
maxyedor said:
It is technicaly possible to pull it off but you must use the exact same spoke pattern, and get the hub lined up in exactly the same way it was originaly.

This isn't scientificly proven, but when I worked at a shop I built 600-700 wheels a year with very few exceptions every rebuilt wheel failed within a month. None of the DH wheels I've built using new rims and new spokes have failed in the first season under normall circumstances. Car crashes and 25 foot drops to flat concrete excepeted.

The risk in $ and skin isn't worth the cost of new rims.
Well, I've never tried to re-use spokes, but I've relaced the same rim 3 times with no issues and I make sure to thoroughly smack them on every lip available! In fact, I'm having the rear relaced again right now for the offest on the Demo. Hell, my bud's redone his cruddy old Trailpimp 3-4 times and bangs out 45'ers with no worries. He's actually bent axles, but no tacos, yet...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Have you bought all other white parts yet? If not, you may want to reconsider and just go black. I think all white would look funny on that frame.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
maxyedor said:
.....when I worked at a shop I built 600-700 wheels a year ....QUOTE]

Really? That could mean one of the following:

- 1 wheelset every single day at work for a year.
- 12-13 wheels per week for a year.
- 50 - 58 wheels per month for a year.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
DirtBag said:
maxyedor said:

1/2 hour per wheel, building them all day for a couple days in a row, The other Mech and I would just get there early and stay late, building bikes and wheels 10-12 hours a day. I worked for a mail-order company, we did tons of high end custom bikes that needed tons of high end custom wheels.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Bicyclist said:
Have you bought all other white parts yet? If not, you may want to reconsider and just go black. I think all white would look funny on that frame.
The dark brown frame is slathered in stylish white tribal accents. I already have a full compliment(not everything will be white, just the important parts) of Deity components. Bars, fork lowers, seat is black/white vinyl, and then possibly the rims and pedals. I think that would be enough. Atleast give me the opportunity to make it look like I CHOSE a brown frame...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Wow. That is a sh!t load of wheels....I get burned out just building one wheelset every 6 months or so!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
DirtBag said:
Wow. That is a sh!t load of wheels....I get burned out just building one wheelset every 6 months or so!
Bikes gotta roll somehow! You just don't build enough of them. It's like when old ladies knit, I can do it almost blinly while watching an adult movie, or talking to customers about their derailer issues and fork oil heights.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
maxyedor said:
Never and I meen never rebuild a rim. The heat isn't the issue, once a rim has been built and ridden it's trash, if you respoke it, it will fail quickly.

Not to bash, But that only holds true if you Cut your spokes, or release all the tension all the way one spoke at a time. Defenetly use New spoke when going back together, But if your taking the rim apart with the intention of rebuilding it again, take it apart no more than half a turn per spoke at a time. I have done it more than a few times, and i have built Many Wheels from start to finish. Do note that once you have it apart that you should thouroghly inspect it before painting or powder coating. I happen to have a set of Doublewides i Took apart and rebuilt for someone that came out near perfect!!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
DirtBag said:
maxyedor said:

Wheels go together quite fast actually, Lacing isnt the hard part, tensioning and truing is the tough part. Half hour for a wheel if your using precut spokes and have all your measurements ready. Maybe an hour if your cutting spokes and have to measure each time and start from scratch. 600-700 is more like 3-4 wheels in a day, which is Very doable, specially if thats all you were doing. Question is, Is that All he did for where he worked? and which Rim company Did you work fore producing thet many wheelsets???

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I would suggest against the Doublewide, Specially if your looking for a race rim, Its Heavy, And <In my opinion> limits your tire size selections. Also Double wides have a tendancy to have Flatspots from the factory, not noticable when your riding or once the wheel is built, but frustrating when your building it

Quick side note, When you build, it is always Best to do you own measurements, dont trust websites for ERD's and stuff like that, nothing worse than getting a wheel all laced up to find your 3 mm short each spoke, Sun wheels Is really bad about having the correct ERD listed on there website, Use the kit for measureing up your wheels and Hubs together. the more exact your measurement, the better your wheel is going to turn out

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
DirtyMike said:
DirtBag said:
Wheels go together quite fast actually, Lacing isnt the hard part, tensioning and truing is the tough part. Half hour for a wheel if your using precut spokes and have all your measurements ready. Maybe an hour if your cutting spokes and have to measure each time and start from scratch. 600-700 is more like 3-4 wheels in a day, which is Very doable, specially if thats all you were doing. Question is, Is that All he did for where he worked? and which Rim company Did you work fore producing thet many wheelsets???
I worked for a mail-order shop, doing tons of custom builds, with afew race teams on the side here and there. Most of the rims I rebuilt were brought to me as a used rim. I don't know how they got to be withouit spokes. I always tried like hell to sell people new rims as they would be happier, and thus my life eiser.

I also always used pre-cut spokes, mainly DT revos. On the popular rim/hub combos it got to where I didn't even do a spoke calc. Just grabbed spokes and started building. I also would wait untill I had about 8 hours worth of builds lined up. Usualy doing long days of building wheels 2-3 days in a row. At one point we got a 16 year old kid in and taught him how to lace them so I could build the rest of the bike, then spend 10 minutes truing and tensioning slap some tires on and roll.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm 75% freeride, 20% race, and 5% XC...on a Demo 8 now.... I really don't care too much about weight, just dependability.

And if all this talk about "one spoke loosened at a time" is true, that would mean that the 3 times my buudy either broke a spoke and lost nipples, that the whole wheel should have been scrapped? Or that every time I get a rim trued, I should actually junk it and start new? I don't think so.
I agree that new is always better. Obviously. But some of this just sounds retarded and ridiculous!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
maxyedor said:
Also Doublewides are poopy don't buy them. They build poorly, are way to heavy, and bend springly easily. You alao aren't suposed to run a tire narrower than 2.5" on them. All in all not a great rim.

Agreed on teh double wides, Just not enough Positives to make it worth while, hench why i no longer run them

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
THRILLSEEKA said:
I want white rims as I just picked up an 06 Demo 8...and the only color option is Ano'd fugging BROWN. It'll be sick when I'm done though, all white Deity components, white rims, white 888 lowers.
Yeah, the white syncros will look really pimp on the 06 Demo. I was feeling the same way about the Ano Brown, until it arrived in the mail, and seeing it in person completely changed my mind. Its one of the best colors I have seen on a bike. Its a nice earth color.

Ive chose the black syncros rims (with the white writing) only becaue I wanted a subtle pimpness to it, and I didnt go with the white 888, cause EVERYBODY is going to have a white fork this year....

However yes...a white tripple, with the white syncros will look pretty dope!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
THRILLSEEKA said:
And if all this talk about "one spoke loosened at a time" is true, that would mean that the 3 times my buudy either broke a spoke and lost nipples, that the whole wheel should have been scrapped? Or that every time I get a rim trued, I should actually junk it and start new? I don't think so.
!

One spoke Breaking, or a spoke nipple shearing off is totally different. the trouble lies when you have 7 or 8 totally loose when the rest still have there full tension. If you Rack the wheel that bad riding you just made a taco. See one spoke alone will just throw the wheel out of true while the spokes next to it will support it. Where if you loosen 25% in one area, then the wheel looses its shape.

I think for your application i would suggest Sun Double tracks. Not super heavy, very strong not sure if they come white or not, but you could always Powder coat them and get some new Decals so people know what they are. Other than that Syncros are pretty tough and are available in white factory.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm thinking I'm just gonna rattle bomb 'em if I feel the need for now, buy new later. I'm really not a fan of any of the double wides/doubletracks/singlewides/single tracks or single doubles or wide tracks or even the rare double singles.
And I'm not worried about decals, until they PAY me to advertise!