Quantcast

Lowering the bar... anyone flip their riser bars upside down?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Are you willing to bet your face on it?
Are you willing to bet someone else's face on it?

I am not saying they arent just as strong, but I would want some testing (similar to every other product we ride) to show this before I made a statement like that.

If the bike (or auto, or aircraft, or shipbuilding) industry took the attitude design and no test - we would pay a lot less for our products. And we would have a lot more accidents.

however, I am happy to see people experimenting with bike geometry - it is what fuels innovation and better design for all of us.

tell me how a consistent wall tube would be stronger in a certain direction?

yeah, i have a pair flipped right now, so yeah i am willing to test
my body.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Well if the tube is drawn evenly and then bent, the long side WILL be thinner. There is no way around it unless the bar can magically produce more aluminum.
have you or anyone on here ever seen a bar test video.

its not just one direction BUT BOTH. till failure.

it would make no difference on the over all

strength of the bar if ti was in up or down.

same on a bike. please someone back me up........... :rolleyes:

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Okay, I found a way to set up the bar that works for me. Using super clock action technology, a standard bar is set up at 12. You upside down brosefs are running bars at 6. My super awesome better-than-everyone-else's-I'm-not-willing-to-hear-new-ideas-bars are set up at 8 ohyeah clock.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
even if you break bars up and down, unless you have the test report with the numbers - you dont know at what force they broke at in each direction. If you do have a test report and it shows the bars equally strong or stronger upside down - run them that way- if not run them that way at your own risk.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i'm with BCD on the strength issue....should be just as strong.

sh!t, we probably put the most force on a bar when we're bunny hopping.

i had low-end bar break on me and it was mid air during a bunny hop...after a year or so of loading-dock-drops to flat.

and if bike companies don't design/test a bar for more than one direction, then they're stupid....we're applying forces in all kinds of directions when we ride.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
even if you break bars up and down, unless you have the test report with the numbers - you dont know at what force they broke at in each direction. If you do have a test report and it shows the bars equally strong or stronger upside down - run them that way- if not run them that way at your own risk.
when i would be worried about a bar breaking its from fatigue cycles,
not crash, ultimate strength test. all the fatigue testing machines i
have seen work on a elliptical cycles up and down. that is how i use
my bars on my bike, pull and push.

i don't know who you are, industry folk i guess, just poping up here
telling people to run at you own risk.

hell, everything part i ride IMO is ride at your own risk. we all know
that. i am just trying to instill a reader that IMO its just as safe to run
inverted as upright. BOTH are ride at your own risk.

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
Do you have any data at all to back up that claim? Any failure analysis, any test reports -if not dont tell people what is safe and what isnt.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Do you have any data at all to back up that claim? Any failure analysis, any test reports -if not dont tell people what is safe and what isnt.
do you have tests that it isn't?

if not don't tell me it isn't.................hahahahha:bonk:

Panadog

Chimp
Aug 29, 2007
do you have tests that it isn't?

if not don't tell me it isn't.................hahahahha:bonk:
No, sir, I dont. Like I said before I cant tell you if its more less or equal strenth. All I am saying is without the proper testing and analysis we dont know, and I feel it is irresponsible to proclaim equal performance without the data. I am not saying it is unsafe - I am saying there is a risk of it being unsafe. :cheers:

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
this idea is brilliant! i'm going to add it to my new book... "how to go faster without actually spending the time to become a better rider!" here's a preview:

Don't forget to pick up my book, it will be out as soon as biopace becomes the industry standard!
If only you has said "oval chainrings" instead of "biopace", we could be reading your book now

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hah, I just put some flat bars on my trail ride. I actually kinda wanna put short bar ends back on, too, but don't want to rob any of their width.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ain't nothin wrong with flat bars. The problem is they became a trendy thing without consideration of fit/geometry. Any short person with a 29er front wheel on a long travel fork might benefit from them.

also, god dammit people used to be annoying here :rofl:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The ones I have are 762. Kore made an 800 flat bar once upon a time.
Yeah there are a few wider options, but they were expensive and these Protapers were cheap. I'm going to try single-clamp grips (yeah I still use old ODIs) to try and get more usable width out of them and maybe even cheap 1/4" or so a side over the edge.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ain't nothin wrong with flat bars. The problem is they became a trendy thing without consideration of fit/geometry. Any short person with a 29er front wheel on a long travel fork might benefit from them.

also, god dammit people used to be annoying here :rofl:
whats odd is every one of my short friends bikes i hop on has high rise bars rolled forwards AF with levers pointed at the ground,

I have yet to figure it out.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
:stop: Technically I don’t ride gravel either…the frame has been at the shop for 6 months now awaiting a warranty replacement. Defo a gateway to poor choices though, I’ve a -20 degree stem on the XC bike these days:ban: