Quantcast

Marijuana

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Dude, Im not.

Im only taking what he's saying a step further, because I dont think he adressed it well at all. So what if its not "AS BAD". Its all the same thing......a substance to get you HIGH.

I personally feel that we have enough of those already legal, and theyre a big enough problem by themselves.
So we should bring back prohibition?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by -BB-
Are you an alcoholic?
Or did you NEVER really drink.
I turn 21 in 13 days.

I havent drank since i was maybe 16. Its just not for me, although i dont really care that other people do.

On the issue of prohibition, its just not plausible. Niether is eliminating all drug use, but i enjoy the stance that our government has taken, because it sends a moral message to young people that drugs are bad. I totally agree with this.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
no.
Is it because you are under-age or do you have some kind of moral objection to alcohol? If my knowledge of the army is anything to go by you would stand out like dog's balls being a non-drinker.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I turn 21 in 13 days.

I havent drank since i was maybe 16. Its just not for me, although i dont really care that other people do.

On the issue of prohibition, its just not plausible. Niether is eliminating all drug use, but i enjoy the stance that our government has taken, because it sends a moral message to young people that drugs are bad. I totally agree with this.
This is what gets me.
It is NOT the governments job to dictate MORALITY!!
Morality is a subset/construct of theology, adn there is supposed to be a seperation of church and state.

In Afganistan, it was "IMMORAL" for a woman to show her face in public. Should we do that here? Hell no!!
Why? b/c your morals may not be the same as MY morals, and it is only when you morals/actions infringe upon my freedoms that there should be a law against it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by valve bouncer
Is it because you are under-age or do you have some kind of moral objection to alcohol? If my knowledge of the army is anything to go by you would stand out like dog's balls being a non-drinker.
Well,

I dont have a moral objection or anything, Its just something i dont do. And, while i am in the MARINES, not the ARMY, i am most certainly in the minority. I dont really hang out with many Marines, because most of them just tend to get tanked when they get off of work. I like to RIDE.
Also, Im not your average grunt who runs around with guns and screams all day. I write for a newspaper, and work mostly with civilians, so im not really that close to those kinds of people anyway.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is what gets me.
It is NOT the governments job to dictate MORALITY!!
Morality is a subset/construct of theology, adn there is supposed to be a seperation of church and state.

In Afganistan, it was "IMMORAL" for a woman to show her face in public. Should we do that here? Hell no!!
Why? b/c your morals may not be the same as MY morals, and it is only when you morals/actions infringe upon my freedoms that there should be a law against it.

Refer Yourself Here for my stance, and the rest of the monkies on the role of morality and government.

I have no religion whatsoever. My morality is not the result of a religion, its simply a culmination of the little bit of living and learning ive done on my own.

Oddly enough, my parents were pot smoking christians:confused:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Well,

I dont have a moral objection or anything, Its just something i dont do. And, while i am in the MARINES, not the ARMY, i am most certainly in the minority. I dont really hang out with many Marines, because most of them just tend to get tanked when they get off of work. I like to RIDE.
Also, Im not your average grunt who runs around with guns and screams all day. I write for a newspaper, and work mostly with civilians, so im not really that close to those kinds of people anyway.
OK, so you can answer my question, what , in your opinion, is the difference between alcohol and drugs in terms of what we are arguing about here?
P.S- Aren't the marines part of the army. I thought the marines were where the army sent all their screw-ups to get them whipped into shape;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
OK, so you can answer my question, what , in your opinion, is the difference between alcohol and drugs in terms of what we are arguing about here?
P.S- Aren't the marines part of the army. I thought the marines were where the army sent all their screw-ups to get them whipped into shape;)
What:confused:
The Marines have nothing to do with the Army. Where the heck did you hear something like that? Its a completely different branch of service.

Alchohol is a drug. There's no other way around it. Even in our best efforts to control it, still millions of addicts have problems each year. Yet, society tells us its ok. When society tells us even more drugs are ok, we will see millions more addicts with millions more problems.
Its not a victimless crime despite you all's desperate attempts to describe it as such, as with alchohol, putting these substances in your body creates havoc in the home, danger in the workplace and death on the roads. Even if it is "regulated" we dont need any more of these kinds of things.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
The Marines are just a branch of the Navy.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
The Marines are just a branch of the Navy.
Not exactly.

The Marines, is its own Branch of Service, but is just controlled by the secretary of the Navy. Has its own commandant, member of the joint chiefs and all that stuff.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
The Marines have nothing to do with the Army. Where the heck did you hear something like that? Its a completely different branch of service.

Alchohol is a drug. There's no other way around it. Even in our best efforts to control it, still millions of addicts have problems each year. Yet, society tells us its ok. When society tells us even more drugs are ok, we will see millions more addicts with millions more problems.
Its not a victimless crime despite you all's desperate attempts to describe it as such, as with alchohol, putting these substances in your body creates havoc in the home, danger in the workplace and death on the roads. Even if it is "regulated" we dont need any more of these kinds of things.
Easy there tiger, just f*cken with you there on the marines thing. See the wink- usually good enough to give the game away.
Now, you say you have no moral objection to alcohol but you most certainly have a moral objection to drugs. You go on to say that alcohol is a drug (certainly is) and catalogue the myriad of dangers caused by the demon booze again which is certainly true. So I guess my question is- why no moral objection to alcohol?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This is a senseless argument. You will never convince BS to think any other way. Experience might, but we certainly won't.

Certain people have a black and white world of the view. When there is no grey area, it makes no sense to pick a line somewhere in that grey and draw it. It's black or white, it's good or bad. These folks don't make good diplomats, businesspeople, or judges, but they make GREAT marines.

Some folks will always see compromise as an evil. Others learn that compromise is realizing that with almost every good comes an evil, and a quality compromise is one that balances that tradeoff for the greatest net good.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Easy there tiger, just f*cken with you there on the marines thing. See the wink- usually good enough to give the game away.
Now, you say you have no moral objection to alcohol but you most certainly have a moral objection to drugs. You go on to say that alcohol is a drug (certainly is) and catalogue the myriad of dangers caused by the demon booze again which is certainly true. So I guess my question is- why no moral objection to alcohol?

Alchohol has engrained itself as a part of culture. To take it away would do more harm than good as has been evidenced in the past. Its just something Ive come accept as perhaps a necessary evil that might belong.
Other drugs have not reached that level of importance and they hopefully never will. While the majority of people have tried MJ, only a minority carry on with constant use. Whether that be because of its illegality or the good sense of the users, Im glad most people choose not to pollute their minds in this way. Is alchohol worse than MJ? Maybe, but why have more bad out there than is necessary?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio
This is a senseless argument. You will never convince BS to think any other way. Experience might, but we certainly won't.

Certain people have a black and white world of the view. When there is no grey area, it makes no sense to pick a line somewhere in that grey and draw it. It's black or white, it's good or bad. These folks don't make good diplomats, businesspeople, or judges, but they make GREAT marines.

Thats great Ohio.

While i am a pretty decent Marine, you'd be surprised i bet by the amount of job offers ive already recieved for public relations jobs when i get out (soon thank god)
Actually, half my job is working as a 'diplomat' (community relations) for Marine Corps public affairs, but i guess since you just categorized me in such a "black and white" group, you wouldnt have time to consider the grey area. :rolleyes:

You really shouldnt have walked into that one.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Alchohol has engrained itself as a part of culture. To take it away would do more harm than good as has been evidenced in the past. Its just something Ive come accept as perhaps a necessary evil that might belong.
Other drugs have not reached that level of importance and they hopefully never will. While the majority of people have tried MJ, only a minority carry on with constant use. Whether that be because of its illegality or the good sense of the users, Im glad most people choose not to pollute their minds in this way. Is alchohol worse than MJ? Maybe, but why have more bad out there than is necessary?
Be careful not to equate use with abuse there BS. In my opinion most of the "abuse" of drugs stems from their illegality, if you take abuse to mean the way the legal system "abuses" the people caught up in the idiotic "drug war". BS the drugs are out there, people will use them for the same reasons they use alcohol. You will not and cannot stop this. What you can do is reduce the harm to users and therefore to society. Right now the prison population is soaring, whole neighbourhoods are no go areas and kids with machine guns are selling crack (with apologies to The Celibate Rifles- great Aussie punk band). Make drugs a medical problem, not a legal one. Remove the profit margin from drugs, divert users to treatment not prison.

As it stands now illegal drug use is the only crime where the victim and the criminal are the same person. This is a ridiculous state of affairs. The present system doesn't work BS, even you can see that- change must come and indeed in many parts of the world the politicians have seen the light and decriminalised marijuana. Even in my home state Western Australia, probably the most conservative place in Australia they've done this. And do you know who spearheaded this push for de-criminalisation? The police- who were sick to death of busting kids for tiny bits of pot. It tied up cops in paperwork when there were real crims out there to be caught. The coppers informally started a cautioning system where small time users were not charged but instead made to attend lectures. This system was initially formalised statewide before eventually de-criminalisation legislation was passed ths year. The cautioning sysytem has now been expanded to users caught with small amounts of other harder. drugs. Now maybe this will work maybe it won't but the point is is that something had to change and it did change. The peole in charge realised that you can't stop people taking drugs but what you can do is minimise the damage and that must be the first priority.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
when I point out that legalizing it will remove the delaers from the equasion, you counter with... "But they could still go to a dealer to get Heroin"
:rolleyes: Yeah... So could you, or so could any person who consumes alcohol. How does that support your arguement.
Think about this realistically. As I sd, most people start using drugs as younsters. If it was legalized, and they wanted it, they would still go to an illicit dealer. So would the majority of the population, if such a high tax was imposed. You don't solve for any of this.

Drugs are bad. Other things may be worse (guns, alcohol) but many people have accepted them and are too dumb to let them go. These problems will continue to exist, we don't need any more.

This issue has been dscussed tens of times, its not really going to change anyone's mind. All I have to do is dig up an old thread and copy-paste. BurlySurly and I have a response for everything and anything that you say. Why? because we're right. This is truly not a matter of opinion. It's a clear-cut topic, even though it gets muddied in many ways. Legalization? Sure, fine. Using it to get high? No way.

Its people like the rest of you that make me want to form a militant group that just punishes drug dealers and users. Seriously.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

As it stands now illegal drug use is the only crime where the victim and the criminal are the same person. This is a ridiculous state of affairs. The present system doesn't work BS, even you can see that- change must come and indeed in many parts of the world the politicians have seen the light and decriminalised marijuana. Even in my home state Western Australia, probably the most conservative place in Australia they've done this. And do you know who spearheaded this push for de-criminalisation? The police- who were sick to death of busting kids for tiny bits of pot. It tied up cops in paperwork when there were real crims out there to be caught. The coppers informally started a cautioning system where small time users were not charged but instead made to attend lectures. This system was initially formalised statewide before eventually de-criminalisation legislation was passed ths year. The cautioning sysytem has now been expanded to users caught with small amounts of other harder. drugs. Now maybe this will work maybe it won't but the point is is that something had to change and it did change. The peole in charge realised that you can't stop people taking drugs but what you can do is minimise the damage and that must be the first priority.
I disagree with you on a few points.

First off, the user is not the only victim. Drug use causes numerous problems for everyone, a few of which Ive already named. But mainly, Im thinking of how drugs translate into crime for addicts. Now, pot, may or may not be addictive, but i believe it leads to other drugs which certainly are. When crack is sold to 10 year olds....things are wrong.

Minimising the damage and legalizing pot do not belong in the same sentence if you ask me. I can only see that causing more users and eventually more problems for everyone involved.

You admit that drug use causes damage, so i cant see how you see it as an acceptable practice. Lazy cops and their excuses will fail to turn my stance on this thing. I know you all will most likely never change your opinions on this, but i think its important to try and represent what i think is the right choice.

Yes, i used to smoke. I could actually feel myself getting dumber. The world doesnt need that.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

Yes, i used to smoke. I could actually feel myself getting dumber. The world doesnt need that.
In your case the world certainly doesn't need that as you have access to large calibre weaponry. Good choice soldier:D ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by LoboDelFuego
BurlySurly and I have a response for everything and anything that you say. Why? because we're right. This is truly not a matter of opinion. It's a clear-cut topic, even though it gets muddied in many ways. Legalization? Sure, fine. Using it to get high? No way.

Its people like the rest of you that make me want to form a militant group that just punishes drug dealers and users. Seriously.
LMAO-not even BS or his evil sidekick DT (joke alert fellas:)) in their pomp would say something as idiotic as this. Bravo fella, you've excelled yourself.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
In your case the world certainly doesn't need that as you have access to large calibre weaponry. Good choice soldier:D ;)
Now you see it!

This was years before i joined the Marines obviously, but imagine if this kind of thing were legal for say....school bus drivers, airline pilots, semi drivers with chemical loads and fuel.

Imagine the carnage MAN!

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Think about this realistically. As I sd, most people start using drugs as younsters. If it was legalized, and they wanted it, they would still go to an illicit dealer. So would the majority of the population, if such a high tax was imposed. You don't solve for any of this.

Drugs are bad. Other things may be worse (guns, alcohol) but many people have accepted them and are too dumb to let them go. These problems will continue to exist, we don't need any more.

This issue has been dscussed tens of times, its not really going to change anyone's mind. All I have to do is dig up an old thread and copy-paste. BurlySurly and I have a response for everything and anything that you say. Why? because we're right. This is truly not a matter of opinion. It's a clear-cut topic, even though it gets muddied in many ways. Legalization? Sure, fine. Using it to get high? No way.

I apologize to BS. YOU are the one that is a closed minded bigot. Not him (at least compared to you). So you think that the kids would go to the dealer b/c they aren't old enough, huh? Just like they go the the Alcohol Dealer now? What a lame arguement. There wouldn't BE any dealers b/c if it is not illegal, then it wouldn't COST so much that the delaers actually mad a profit. There wouldn't be gang-shootings over it (only over crack and stuff) do violence would go down.
If legalized, it could be sold for the same price as cigarettes. That's how much it costs to make/grow.
It's people like YOU that make me glad all those millitants get thrown the F'#@%^# in JAIL.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

NO...
ADDICTION causes these problems.
Not everyone that uses a substance is an Addict.
Just like a person having a glass of wine with dinner and a cigar afterwards, if done in moderation, there are no "Broken Homes" b/c of it.
And just like Alcohol, there should be rules against doing it behind the wheel.
We are not saying "Do not REGULATE its use." we are saying "LEGALIZE it so you CAN regulate it."
The thing I do not like about you is that you seem to see everything in Absolute terms.
Alcohol is not a problem if you use it responsibly.
Cigarettes are not a problem if oyu are only having one or two a week. Similarly, pot wouldn't be a problem either, if used in a reponsible manner!!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I apologize to BS. YOU are the one that is a closed minded bigot. Not him (at least compared to you). So you think that the kids would go to the dealer b/c they aren't old enough, huh? Just like they go the the Alcohol Dealer now? What a lame arguement. There wouldn't BE any dealers b/c if it is not illegal, then it wouldn't COST so much that the delaers actually mad a profit. There wouldn't be gang-shootings over it (only over crack and stuff) do violence would go down.
If legalized, it could be sold for the same price as cigarettes. That's how much it costs to make/grow.
It's people like YOU that make me glad all those millitants get thrown the F'#@%^# in JAIL.
BB, kids buy alchohol from older people all the time, simply because they cant get it from the store. Why wouldnt they do the same for MJ? If its so easy to make/grow, dont you think that dealers will start selling even better stuff laced with god knows what, to outdo the legal pot?
Dude, theres a whole can of worms you're opening here.
And quite being descriminatory against bigots:p

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
NO...
ADDICTION causes these problems.
And legalization will lead to more addiction as more people begin using, and hence...more problems.

Youre going nowhere BB.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

LOL... you certainly DO have an answer for everything. Just like Cliff Claven. ;)

Who said it would be taxed REALLY high? We simply said it would be taxed liek any other product. Do you see Alcohol dealers pushing beer on kids at school? What about Cigarette dealers?
So WHY would there be pot dealers if it were treated just like alcohol and cigarettes?

OK, Know what... You are right.
100% right. How was I so stupid?
No reason for me to continue this argument I guess, cuz YOU were right the whole time.
See ya...

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
And legalization will lead to more addiction as more people begin using, and hence...more problems.

Youre going nowhere BB.
Sorry... couldn't resist...

Didn't you guys just say that the illegality of it was what CAUSED the addiction/use?

Be consistant man.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I apologize to BS. YOU are the one that is a closed minded bigot. Not him (at least compared to you). So you think that the kids would go to the dealer b/c they aren't old enough, huh? Just like they go the the Alcohol Dealer now? What a lame arguement. There wouldn't BE any dealers b/c if it is not illegal, then it wouldn't COST so much that the delaers actually mad a profit.
Yeah! Yeah they do get alcohol from stores or older people. I am a kid, I see this happening all around me. The drugs or alcohol still end up in the hands of kids, and thats what we want to prevent. You say dealers would not be able to make a profit if it was legalized, but then you claim it would be great for the government because they could put enormous taxes on the sale of marjuana. Ever heard of contraband?

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Do you see Alcohol dealers pushing beer on kids at school? What about Cigarette dealers?
So WHY would there be pot dealers if it were treated just like alcohol and cigarettes?

OK, Know what... You are right.
100% right. How was I so stupid?
No reason for me to continue this argument I guess, cuz YOU were right the whole time.
See ya...
Kids don't need dealer's "pushing" alcohol to them, most of the idiots at my school go out of their way to find it any way they can. As for cigarettes, most kids don't smoke those. Why risk getting caught stealing cigarettes when you can buy pot from a kid in english class, with the added bonus of killing brain cells.

The sarcasm is not needed.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Kids don't need dealer's "pushing" alcohol to them, most of the idiots at my school go out of their way to find it any way they can. As for cigarettes, most kids don't smoke those. Why risk getting caught stealing cigarettes when you can buy pot from a kid in english class, with the added bonus of killing brain cells.

you aren't liked very much at school are you..... :monkey:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

Yup...

See ya...

freightGOD

Monkey
Jan 26, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Have you ever seen a stoner work? Or worth anything? [/B]

What a load of horse she-ot! I've been working since I was 14 years old. (38 now) been smoking regularly for at least as long. I'm not going to tell you my worth, because it doesn't concern you. But the IRS thinks alot of me. I bought my own house, cars, bikes, motorcycles. Whatever I want. I'm raising two children without the help of their mother. On my own! This type of comment pisses me off to no end. You obviously don't have a clue!
Your generalizations are useless.
:angry: :angry: :angry:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by freightGOD
What a load of horse she-ot! I've been working since I was 14 years old. (38 now) been smoking regularly for at least as long. I'm not going to tell you my worth, because it doesn't concern you. But the IRS thinks alot of me. I bought my own house, cars, bikes, motorcycles. Whatever I want. I'm raising two children without the help of their mother. On my own! This type of comment pisses me off to no end. You obviously don't have a clue!
Your generalizations are useless.
:angry: :angry: :angry:
DUDE!!!

All you need are some cool buds and knarly waves...

:p

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Now you see it!

This was years before i joined the Marines obviously, but imagine if this kind of thing were legal for say....school bus drivers, airline pilots, semi drivers with chemical loads and fuel.

Imagine the carnage MAN!
No no no BS I mean that the world doesn't need you getting any dumber as you're already quite dumb enough as it is:D ;) :D . You seem to be getting some competition today from Lobodelfuego though- you been mentoring him or what????;) :p

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
No... because you are a closed minded tight-arse bigot.
Only on the issue of drugs. And mind you, I don't go around broadcasting these things at school so as not to offend the gangster/drug dealer/drug user/imbecile population. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.