Quantcast

Marine Recruiting Services just called...

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
...while i was eating dinner of course. The guy was a d!ck too. It went like this:

Me:Hey
Dude:Hey
Me:Uhhhh
Dude:This is the Marines
Me:Ok
Dude:You interested in joining the military?
Me:No
Dude:Why not?
Me:Don't know
Dude:What? Why not?
Me:Just don't
Dude:Why not?
Me:I don't want to be a human shield for Bush's stupid foreign policies
Dude:Umm, nice talking to you, Bye

*Click*

The Army guy could atleast hold a conversation and was really,really cool about me saying no. He understood why not (didn't ask why not because he respects people decisions), but he still talked to me and told me talk to my friends and he gave me his name and number incase my mind changed. The Navy also called but I was on vacation.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
I'm not going to bash the Marines (or anyone in the services for that matter) even though I don't agree with Bush's plans. My brother in law is a Lt. Colonel in the Marines and he is a great guy. In fact I have mucho respect for anyone in the services. It is those men and women that put their a$$es on the line so that people like us can sit around and bs on these forums.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the marines are very hard core...they love what they do, and sometimes they don't understand why somebody wouldn't feel the same. They want people who are going to be like them, love it and live it.

I think the army and navy are way more laid back. I'm surprised the navy even called, they have too many people as it is.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
recruiters are piles man. They're like used car salesmen. they'll do whatever it takes to get you to sign up. Mostly it involves lying to you. And when they think they have someone who might sign up they hound and hound and hound them until its a done deal. Its been happening to a friend of mine for the last year.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
hey, at least they arent knocking on your door telling you to get your **** together because youve been drafted. you might want to wait a year or two for that to happen.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
you can never believe a word recruiters tell you. i had one tell me that i wouldn't have to go to boot camp and I could jump right to officers school because of my high test scores. called up another recruiter in another state and he told me that he had never heard of that.

What really pissed me off was they brought there little army van and recruiting people to my highschool and they were trying to talk to everyone there. They brought little games and things so that you would sign up to get loads of pamphlets to try and get you to join the fight against nothing. I didnt appreciate the fact that im eating my food, and this is a high point of my day, and i get some bald redneck piece of white trash trying to tell all of my friends about the benefits of the army and being in it and then argueing with us when we started ganging up on him and talking about how he and everyone else is wasting there time talking to us and trying to get a point across that none of us will really listen to.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the army recruiter annoyed the absolute hell out of me. asshole called about 20 times after i said no.

the marine recruiter, on the other hand, was a cool dude. almost convinced me to join.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
slalomrider1 said:
What really pissed me off was they brought there little army van and recruiting people to my highschool and they were trying to talk to everyone there. They brought little games and things so that you would sign up to get loads of pamphlets to try and get you to join the fight against nothing. I didnt appreciate the fact that im eating my food, and this is a high point of my day, and i get some bald redneck piece of white trash trying to tell all of my friends about the benefits of the army and being in it and then argueing with us when we started ganging up on him and talking about how he and everyone else is wasting there time talking to us and trying to get a point across that none of us will really listen to.

do you get this upset when a telemarketer calls your home? Lighten up and show a little respect for those who sacrifice themselves so that you can be a jerk and spit in their face. He has a job, maybe poor social skills but that is still his job. Recruiters are either number 1 or 2 most stressful job in the military last I heard. Hours suck, usually stuck in some craphole of a town in the midwest, zero job satisfaction after talking to guys like you, and to top it off they have the highest divorce rate of any job within the military. Cant even get any love at home.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
i'm sorry, but i could still spit in their face whether we went to war w/ iraq or not. not to disrespect the troops overseas, but i would be just as free without their sacrifice.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, all those who talk about the sacrifice the Army is making for you to be free, what sacrifice is this actually? Who is it that is threatening your freedom? Seems to me the only thing threatening American's freedoms are those in the White House.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Changleen said:
Yeah, all those who talk about the sacrifice the Army is making for you to be free, what sacrifice is this actually? Who is it that is threatening your freedom? Seems to me the only thing threatening American's freedoms are those in the White House.
thank you! haha i couldn't have said it better myself

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
as an active duty service member for the last 8 years (navy), let me fill you in on a little bit about recruiters: I agree, some of them are a real pain. But not all of them are that bad, if they don't get enough people to sign up then they go back to their normal military job. For a sailor that means going back to sea. For a soldier, that could mean going back to Iraq. Just to give you a little insight.

Also, I agree that most recruiters will tell you anything. Your best bet is to try and talk to somebody who actually does that job. Also anything they promise you should get in writing if it's in your contract then its not a lie anymore.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
beestiboy said:
do you get this upset when a telemarketer calls your home? Lighten up and show a little respect for those who sacrifice themselves so that you can be a jerk and spit in their face. He has a job, maybe poor social skills but that is still his job. Recruiters are either number 1 or 2 most stressful job in the military last I heard. Hours suck, usually stuck in some craphole of a town in the midwest, zero job satisfaction after talking to guys like you, and to top it off they have the highest divorce rate of any job within the military. Cant even get any love at home.

..Last I checked if you are in the service you volunteered, not like they drafted him and made him a recruiter.. :nopity:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
PonySoldier said:
..Last I checked if you are in the service you volunteered, not like they drafted him and made him a recruiter.. :nopity:
It doesn't matter. slalomrider and his douchebag friends should show some respect to someone who has been given a job to do. Only a f*cking idiot would think that it was cool or decent to "gang up on" a recruiter who likely doesn't want to be there anymore than they want to listen to him.

Maybe one of these days they'll actually grow up a little and learn some respect, but I'm somewhat doubtful seeing that even when I was 12, I knew better than to trash talk a man doing an honest job simply because his presence during a few days of the school year was a minor inconvenience to me. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I don't like receiving recruiting calls any more than the next guy who's uninterested in joining the military, but I treat them the same way I treat telemarketers - a firm "no, thank you", and if they continue on, I simply hang up. Anything less cordial than that is being an ass simply for the sake of being an ass.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
binary visions said:
Frankly, I don't like receiving recruiting calls any more than the next guy who's uninterested in joining the military, but I treat them the same way I treat telemarketers - a firm "no, thank you", and if they continue on, I simply hang up. Anything less cordial than that is being an ass simply for the sake of being an ass.
I couldnt have said it better myself.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
It doesn't matter. slalomrider and his douchebag friends should show some respect to someone who has been given a job to do. Only a f*cking idiot would think that it was cool or decent to "gang up on" a recruiter who likely doesn't want to be there anymore than they want to listen to him.

Maybe one of these days they'll actually grow up a little and learn some respect, but I'm somewhat doubtful seeing that even when I was 12, I knew better than to trash talk a man doing an honest job simply because his presence during a few days of the school year was a minor inconvenience to me. :rolleyes:

Have you seen recruiting campaigns today? It makes the military seem like a video game or a wholesome character building experience out of a Frank Capra film.

Today, many recruiters are finding it impossible to meet their goals of 2 enlistees a month. Academic and physical standards are being lowered from a year ago, bringing in worse and worse soldiers. Do you think recruiters are going to be honest and straightforward to potential enlistees?

Recently, I was asked to sign a petition to keep recruiters out of schools (hey, I live in SF), and I declined. I think all opinions should be heard, even ones I disagree with. However, if it is wrapped in flashy packaging, yeah I got a problem.

And finally, it is hard to expect any RM to express a respectful and thoughtful opinion. Yes, people should just decline politely to recruiters and telemarketers. But we want to hear interesting stories about jerks!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
uh...

very very recently I was thinking about joining the navy...in fact, I think I was supposed to leave yesterday. I had a very positive experience with my recruiter. He was very helpful with what I wanted to do, and he wasn't very pushy. He did try and get me to go, as he should, but I don't feel as though he lied or used any underhanded techniques.

The only issue I had was when it came time to select jobs I had no idea what I was getting into, and the guy who was supposed to explain it to me didn't care at all. It wasn't my recruiter though. I had done my research on just about everything else, as anybody interested in the military should, but I didn't feel comfortable picking a job that I had no idea what it entailed.

They'll understand if you say no, but be firm. If you waver, they know it's a possibility, and they'll try and convince you, but there's no reason to argue with them.

Also, I don't see what the big deal is with keeping recruiters out of schools. The kids that don't want to go shouldn't go, but the kids that don't have a clear future may appreciate it. Recruiters can't force anybody to join the military, and if we don't want a draft, why not continue to pursue volunteers? When it turns to harassment after somebody has already said no, I understand where the trouble is, but people need to know that it's ok to say NO.

Lastly, is it such a terrible thing that the armed forces are shrinking? Maybe it's a sign that we're reaching an age where we don't need massive military might. Hey, why the hell not? Reduce military spending by reducing numbers of troops. If we ever need people to join the military in the future, like for a genuine cause, they will probably sign up. I know I'd probably be somewhere in the military if our president we're different and the end of the Iraq war weren't so hazy.

my 2 pesos.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sandwich said:
uh...

very very recently I was thinking about joining the navy...in fact, I think I was supposed to leave yesterday. I had a very positive experience with my recruiter. He was very helpful with what I wanted to do, and he wasn't very pushy. He did try and get me to go, as he should, but I don't feel as though he lied or used any underhanded techniques.

The only issue I had was when it came time to select jobs I had no idea what I was getting into, and the guy who was supposed to explain it to me didn't care at all. It wasn't my recruiter though. I had done my research on just about everything else, as anybody interested in the military should, but I didn't feel comfortable picking a job that I had no idea what it entailed.

They'll understand if you say no, but be firm. If you waver, they know it's a possibility, and they'll try and convince you, but there's no reason to argue with them.
Well, you sound like you handled this experience intelligently, by doing your research and making smart decisions. I am worried about the people who are not as smart as you...

Sandwich said:
Also, I don't see what the big deal is with keeping recruiters out of schools. The kids that don't want to go shouldn't go, but the kids that don't have a clear future may appreciate it. Recruiters can't force anybody to join the military, and if we don't want a draft, why not continue to pursue volunteers? When it turns to harassment after somebody has already said no, I understand where the trouble is, but people need to know that it's ok to say NO.

Lastly, is it such a terrible thing that the armed forces are shrinking? Maybe it's a sign that we're reaching an age where we don't need massive military might. Hey, why the hell not? Reduce military spending by reducing numbers of troops. If we ever need people to join the military in the future, like for a genuine cause, they will probably sign up. I know I'd probably be somewhere in the military if our president we're different and the end of the Iraq war weren't so hazy.

my 2 pesos.
Firstly, the problem with recruiting is the problem with the war. Think about the last time there was a problem with recruiting: during the Vietnam War.

We need more troops to continue fighting in Iraq (and yes, we are still at war in Iraq). The reality: who wants to go to a war zone where we are not wanted...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Senôr Lopez said:
I'm not going to bash the Marines (or anyone in the services for that matter) even though I don't agree with Bush's plans. My brother in law is a Lt. Colonel in the Marines and he is a great guy. In fact I have mucho respect for anyone in the services. It is those men and women that put their a$$es on the line so that people like us can sit around and bs on these forums.
:stupid:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
In the Marine Corps, recruiting is the most difficult of the B Billet jobs, it is even more tasking than that of the Drill Instructor. Compared to other jobs, it ranks as one of the most stressful, even up there with explosive ordinance disposal. If a Marine is bad at recruiting, it really hurts their career in the Marines.

For those of you that get bothered by recruiters, just ignore them, but if you want to badmouth them, have the balls to do it to their face, not on the damn internet. Yes, there are bad recruiters, but there are also very good ones as well. The ones that seem to lie to you are just the bad ones who obviously aren't very good at the job they've been tasked to do.

The strength of the U.S. military is in the fact that it is a volunteer force. For those of you who have heard rumors of a draft, it is just that a rumor. Drafting in this day and age would never work.

And for that political crap about fighting for your freedom. Personally I think that's a load of garbage. When I was on my 4 year active duty tour, I was in it for me and my buddies. I could give a rats ass what some punk ass kid and their family was doing back in the states. Maybe if we all hopped in a time machine back to WWII, then that fighting for your freedom stuff would have some more meaning. But, in this day and age that statement is a load of crap. Why? America is already free, but the leadership seems to get their noses into other peoples business too much and it's pissing other countries off. I have had over 20 good friends I have served with in the Marine Corps die in Iraq since 2003 and they weren't fighting for anything other than their fellow Marines and themselves. I can be certain of that.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
slalomrider1 said:
I didnt appreciate the fact that im eating my food, and this is a high point of my day, and i get some bald redneck piece of white trash trying to tell all of my friends about the benefits of the army and being in it and then argueing with us when we started ganging up on him and talking about how he and everyone else is wasting there time talking to us and trying to get a point across that none of us will really listen to.
The RM sentence of the day. Your future is bright. Very bright.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
One of my friends joined the Navy right out of high school, and I found the recruiter's behavior kind of odd. He would pick him up from school every day, take him out to dinner, etc. I kind of found that a bit on the strange side...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Changleen said:
:stupid:

Yup. The only oppression or loss of freedom I have ever experienced has come at the hands of my own government. I've said it before and I'll say it again, when our country has been invaded and/or is facing a genuine threat I'll be first in line to defend my home. but I am not going to fight and (possibly) kill or die for someone elses country or someone elses pocketbook. This is not a slight on soldiers. As I have also said, the soldier doesn't start the wars.

And we all understand that recruiters have a crappy job but they do hound you over and over. To this day my GF's parents still get calls from recruiters looking for her. And the last time she thought about the military or talked to a recruiter was over 10 years ago! Having a crappy job is no excuse to harrass people or lie to them in an effort to make your quota. I remember when I almost joined... Asking the recruiter what jobs I might be able to do... "Shoot, you can do anything you want. We'll make sure you get the job you want.... noooo problem!" And various other slick used car salesman phrases and tactics. Sure, they're not all bad but people wouldn't have such a low opinion of recruiters if they didn't have bad experiences with them.

Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
The RM sentence of the day. Your future is bright. Very bright.
People like that should just drop out of school and sign up for janitorial work. At least then, they'll be offering a useful service to the community without spreading their trash and idiocy across a college campus. Not to mention wasting the time of the professors.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am an Air Force type, and have friends who have been recruiters. I asked one point blank if he ever lied to a kid (I had a pretty good recruiter, no lies that I know of, and it was 16 years ago!) and he replies "I never answered the questions they didnt ask." I found this fairly amusing. The crux of the matter is this, they (recruiters) have a job based on numbers, like many people in the world. You are a number. The future freedom of our society is not going to hinge on the succesful recruiting of one kid. They need numbers. So does a car salesman. They badger you at home too, yet so far I havent seen any threads bashing them around here. If you are interested in joining, do your research, hold out for a job you are into, get it guaranteed (And remember, nothing in life is truly guaranteed) and treat it as your proffession. If not, avoid them as you would a car salesman when you are not interested in a car.
And to those of you who say you would stand up and defend your home if it was threatened, stop deluding yourselves. You would let someone else do it, just like you are now.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
JohnE said:
p and defend your home if it was threatened, stop deluding yourselves. You would let someone else do it, just like you are now.
Really? And is my home threatened now?

Maybe you should get to know people before you make assumptions about them, idiot.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
People like that should just drop out of school and sign up for janitorial work. At least then, they'll be offering a useful service to the community without spreading their trash and idiocy across a college campus. Not to mention wasting the time of the professors.
These posters are teens and young men, and they act and express themselves like disrespectful kids, which we like.

If I received a call from, lets say, the Reserves, I would be more respectful but any type of slick or dishonest approach would receive a quick goodbye. I am sure most people over the age of 30 would just hang up without even saying a word to a phone recruiter.

Our RM's are not as experienced or eloquent as you or I, but they are saying they are against the war and are unwilling to enlist. If you want a difference response from today's youth, you better set your time machine to 1944.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
Our RM's are not as experienced or eloquent as you or I, but they are saying they are against the war and are unwilling to enlist. If you want a difference response from today's youth, you better set your time machine to 1944.
I think you misunderstand me. I have no issue with people disliking the military, or even expressing an opinion in a less than eloquent manner. But calling someone who is simply doing his job a "bald redneck piece of white trash" without a single shred of reasoning outside of his petty lunch break being mildly disturbed, is idiotic.

Is it not?

I would not have expressed myself in that way in high school. None of my friends would have, either. It wasn't that long ago that I was in high school - hell, I'm only 23.

There's a difference between lacking the life experience to make well thought out arguments, and simply being an a**hole.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wow, name calling. Please dont hurt me anymore, you have proved your well reasoned point. I am stung by your rapier like wit and sense of logic. Take your cyber courage and direct into something more positive, and leave the name calling somewhere else.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
JohnE said:
Wow, name calling. Please dont hurt me anymore, you have proved your well reasoned point. I am stung by your rapier like wit and sense of logic. Take your cyber courage and direct into something more positive, and leave the name calling somewhere else.
In his defense, your assertion that someone would not defend his/her homeland because they haven't enlisted in the military *is* idiotic. :rolleyes:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
JohnE said:

Regardless of who you really ARE, you come across as a spoiled brat who is bagging on people who are actually trying to make a living. The guy is doing what he is paid to do. If you don't want to listen, then IGNORE HIM! By claiming he's a bald redneck, or whatever you may have spit at him, you're showing that you have A) no respect for your elders and B) no appreciation for people who are trying to make a living doing a job that you look down upon. Do you feel the same for people who work construction? Plumbers? Electricians?

Oy....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
By claiming he's a bald redneck, or whatever
Ahh, just to clarify here, it was slalomrider1 who claimed the recruiter was a redneck and thought it was okay to gang up on him, JohnE simply made a comment that could be offensive - that is, essentially people are too spineless to defend their own homes.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
Ahh, just to clarify here, it was slalomrider1 who claimed the recruiter was a redneck and thought it was okay to gang up on him, JohnE simply made a comment that could be offensive - that is, essentially people are too spineless to defend their own homes.
Ahhh....I got confused.

salomrider1 you're a brat.

JohnE, you're a tool anyway.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
Ahhh....I got confused.

salomrider1 you're a brat.

JohnE, you're a tool anyway.

A man is only as good as his tools..... :D Sorry bad joke

Everyone Seriously, anyone upset over the military situation needs to direct their anger at the people who make policy. Most of the people in the military are just average Joes, trying to get by. The military fights when told, Policy makers like the President and Congress decide when to fight.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I almost went into the Marines. I got all the way to the medical exam and they told be I had too many broken bones. My recruter was so pissed he left me there 250 miles from home. Then almost ten years later want me to sign up because they are short aircraft mechanics. I told them to go to hell of course because the only reason I wanted to go into the Marines was to learn to work on airplanes. Now that I have all my certs it would be pointless.