Quantcast

Marriage Equality.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

Pro prop 8 folks just don't get "it"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy has denied a request from Proposition 8 supporters in California to halt the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses in the nation's most populous state.

Kennedy turned away the request on Sunday with no additional comment.

Same-sex marriage opponents asked him to step in on Saturday, a day after the federal appeals court in San Francisco allowed same-sex marriages to go forward. Numerous weddings were performed at San Francisco City Hall following the court decisions.

The opponents said the appeals court had acted about three weeks too soon. Proposition 8 supporters could continue their efforts to halt gay marriage by filing their request with another Supreme Court justice.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i have this feeling 'equality' will take on contextual meaning w/ many differing standards, which the courts will hand down over the next not-so-few years. "will of the people" my unbleached ass

hey black community, do you feel more like getting married *now*?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this is what the tolerant left looks like:

all about free speech until they disagree with you

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
all about free speech until they disagree with you
I don't see anyone being shot, hung, or being dragged behind a truck :confused:

See history of civil rights, not always so civil or the will of the bigoted mainstream, so why would this be different:clue:

Bigots will lose in the end.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I don't see anyone being shot, hung, or being dragged behind a truck :confused:
lack of condemnation for the criminally violent bullies of civil rights (the wrong kind, of course)

excuse me while i manufacture a batch of pearl-clutching surprise

why would anyone not jump at the opportunity to distance this unruly mob from their cause? how is this any different from the moderate muslims who sit idly by while their religion is co-opted by the violent, malevolent, misogynistic, hate mongers?

well, i guess i was wrong about one thing: there are some things the left will tolerate: violence against the right

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
well, i guess i was wrong about one thing: there are some things the left will tolerate: violence against the right
Yes because people on the street are directing the movement from the bottom. Its a fist fight, stop grasp at straws you bigot.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yes because people on the street are directing the movement from the bottom.
too bad i didn't write 'directing', or you might have a valid retort. let's put it to a vote: by show of hands, who condemns the violent response to someone exercising their rights to free speech &/or civil rights?
syadasti said:
Its a fist fight, stop grasp at straws you bigot.
i'm unclear as to whom this comment is directed

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i'm unclear as to whom this comment is directed
You can find a handful of people doing stupid things on all sides of an issue, you haven't granted us any new insight or redeeming factor.

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just b/c a youtube video is entitled 'navy seal Beating up a Westboro Baptist Church protestor' does not make it so. in fact, a light scrubbing of the web does not corroborate this. even if it did, i'm not sure you've met your very own lofty standard of 'you haven't granted us any new insight or redeeming factor.' are you being ironic?

we can, however, find tale after tale of anti-gay attacks (yes, that's plural) going on in NYC today, not exactly a bastion of conservatism. maybe they're just closet gays trying to beat the gay out by proxy? only the shadow knows...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Were these good Christian soldiers really surprised that they might receive a negative reaction when they went to a Pride Parade in the PNW?

Sometimes trolls get what's coming to them. No fvcks given.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Were these good Christian soldiers really surprised that they might receive a negative reaction when they went to a Pride Parade in the PNW?

Sometimes trolls get what's coming to them. No fvcks given.
too bad they didn't have a dog w/ them that would deserve to get shot, too

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
we can, however, find tale after tale of anti-gay attacks (yes, that's plural) going on in NYC today, not exactly a bastion of conservatism. maybe they're just closet gays trying to beat the gay out by proxy? only the shadow knows...
Nobody cares. This has happened throughout the history of civil rights, it doesn't invalid the granting of civil rights to oppressed minorities and its not a new development in civil rights protests.

You didn't look very hard either...

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-shows-crowd-going-nuts-as-veteran-tackles-westboro-baptist-protester-2012-10

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just b/c a youtube video is entitled 'navy seal Beating up a Westboro Baptist Church protestor' does not make it so. in fact, a light scrubbing of the web does not corroborate this. even if it did, i'm not sure you've met your very own lofty standard of 'you haven't granted us any new insight or redeeming factor.' are you being ironic?

Christ you're dense when you want to be. Have you ever actually spent time in NYC? It's one of the most bigoted, racist places on the planet and it always has been. People getting the face of someone STUPID enough to go screamin' jeebus at an event like that, should know damn well what that represents to most of the people there. Let me play victim at the next NRA super event when someone gets in my face over my sign that says nothing more than 'sensible gun legislation for our children'. Or a tea bagger party with a sign that reads 'america deserves healthcare.'

I'll even let you clutch my pearls for me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And inciting violence/trolling isn't necessarily considered protected by the first amendment either. Nor should it be along with yelling fire in a crowded movie theater.

Handwaving efforts like this are as ridiculous as advocating for voter disfranchisement for imaginary epidemics of vote fraud that don't exist. Love it or leave if, as you say bigots.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Nobody cares.
pastor niemoller sees what you did there
People getting the face of someone STUPID enough to go screamin' jeebus at an event like that
is that what happened, or are you projecting?
kidwoo said:
Let me play victim at the next NRA super event when someone gets in my face over my sign that says nothing more than 'sensible gun legislation for our children'. Or a tea bagger party with a sign that reads 'america deserves healthcare.'
not terribly original, as things like this have already been done.
wanna guess what the responses were? non-violent.

i'd like to rep you for such a beautiful setup, but it appears the rep machine thinks that's too gay at this time

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
And inciting violence/trolling isn't necessarily considered protected by the first amendment either. Nor should it be along with yelling fire in a crowded movie theater.

Handwaving efforts like this are as ridiculous as advocating for voter disfranchisement for imaginary epidemics of vote fraud that don't exist. Love it or leave if, as you say bigots.
how about voter intimidation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Black_Panther_Party_voter_intimidation_case

spoiler alert: charges dismissed create a legal precedent

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
too bad they didn't have a dog w/ them that would deserve to get shot, too
Puh....lease. The poor persecuted white Christians, what chance did they really have? It's not like the fags all got together and decided they were going to go protest a churches Sunday picnic/youth event and a bunch of toddlers were exposed to teh gay. If that were the case I might be sympathetic to those doing "the lords work". But it wasn't, it was a pride parade, and a couple self loathing closeted gays evangelicals had to go and troll. It wasn't well received, surprise surprise. But hey, these guys will get to add "almost a martyr" to their "Good Christian" resume and get to que up in the express lane when they make it to the Pearly Gates.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
pastor niemoller sees what you did there
Because oppressing a minority and not doing anything is the same as oppressing bigoted views of the status quo?

As was stated, no fvcks given to people trying or succeeding in incite via hate speech which is not necessarily protected by the first amendment.

Your arms are going to fall off if you flail around any harder.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i'd like to go on record as the only one in this thread who condemns the violent actions taken against 2 people who were exercising their first amendment rights (and not hate speech, examples of which simply don't exist in the linked video upthread)

it's too bad that i cannot be joined for the clearly expressed reasons of their race & religion, but i guess that's the way it has to be here. we're still in a pre-civil rights era in this dark corner of the internet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The only record you've set is for handwaving.

There is no right of discrimination or a national religion, that's absolutely clear compared to the issue of inciting violence by taunting people that they're wrong in the eyes of God and going to Hell at their own parade. That's not protected speech:

In 1942, the Supreme Court sustained the conviction of a Jehovah's witness who addressed a police officer as a "God damned racketeer" and "a damned facist"
The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

In 1942, the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine by a 9-0 decision in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire. It held that "insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace" are among the "well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech the prevention and punishment of [which] ... have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem."
You don't like gay marriage then don't get married to the same sex and keep big bad government out people's lives rather than force your delusions above everyone else's. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
i'd like to go on record as the only one in this thread who condemns the violent actions taken against 2 people who were exercising their first amendment rights (and not hate speech, examples of which simply don't exist in the linked video upthread)

it's too bad that i cannot be joined for the clearly expressed reasons of their race & religion, but i guess that's the way it has to be here. we're still in a pre-civil rights era in this dark corner of the internet.
Duly noted. Oppression of the majority proven. Now go change your pants.

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

Coulda sworn that this (whether fighting words are free speech or not) was settled back in 1942....

teh guys in robes said:
There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting" words those which by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
People getting the face of someone STUPID enough to go screamin' jeebus at an event like that, should know damn well what that represents to most of the people there. Let me play victim at the next NRA super event when someone gets in my face over my sign that says nothing more than 'sensible gun legislation for our children'. Or a tea bagger party with a sign that reads 'america deserves healthcare.'

I'll even let you clutch my pearls for me.
That's all well and good, but I still don't see how that justifies getting violent, or how doing so does anything to further their cause. I didn't watch the video in its entirety but it didn't seem like the jeebusy guy was being terribly confrontational (beyond the obvious baseline of carrying that sign around at a gay pride parade) which makes the beatdown hard to justify. I certainly don't agree with him, but that doesn't mean he needs his ass kicked.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i think i see the point against the sign-waving thumper: b/c his speech is more heavily intended to evoke ire of most of the crowd, this speech is not protected. now the question is this: due to this, is his speech hate speech, or is it in that no-man's land b/t protected & free?

what of this? "Abortion protests heat up in Texas as pro-choicers taped yelling ‘Hail Satan’"

but maybe they were goaded into it, as these group of thumpers broke out in song (amazing grace, obviously some sort of dog whistle)

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Well, they obviously haven't read their bibles if they don't think that the Good Lord didn't send his only Son to bring the Constitution to Thomas Jefferson, die on a cross at Appomattox freeing the slaves, and thus granting a very broad definition of the "right to bear arms" to oppose the tyranny of universal healthcare.