Quantcast

Massive Earthquake

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
"Well, the human toll looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be thankful for that......"
I hope that man gets beaten severely, urinated on and thrown in a tiger pit. And fired.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just got back from 5 days in bum fvck nevada wilderness areas..........

All I can say is that I'm really glad to see you posting up here VB. I'm just now trying to wrap my head around this. I really don't have the words. I hope everyone you know is safe.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I just got back from 5 days in bum fvck nevada wilderness areas..........

All I can say is that I'm really glad to see you posting up here VB. I'm just now trying to wrap my head around this. I really don't have the words. I hope everyone you know is safe.
Thanks mate. Life continues as normal here, you'd never know anything had happened if you came here.
Anyway, here's a little story you blokes will get a kick out of. On Friday, the Department of Foreign Affairs in Canberra called a friend of mine who lives not far from me now but who originally first lived in Sendai when he came to Japan so they wanted to check on him. They asked him if he knew of any other Australians in our area and he said yeah and gave them my name and another mate's name. So they said they had my details already. Cut to today, I wanted to call the consulate in Osaka just to confirm my details are all current in case things really go tits up. Very low probability I know but just getting my ducks in a row. Well I call and I go straight to the answering machine and get the message "the Australian Consulate, Osaka is closed today Monday, March 14 because..........of a public holiday in Australia". WTF????? Are these pricks retarded. I could only shake my head.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well I call and I go straight to the answering machine and get the message "the Australian Consulate, Osaka is closed today Monday, March 14 because..........of a public holiday in Australia". WTF????? Are these pricks retarded. I could only shake my head.
:doh:The gears of bureaucracy grind slow eh. :disgust1:

Oh and dearest darling mods/admin.... We need a better facepalm emoticon thanx :thumb:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Aaaaaaand volcanic eruption in Japan today. Granted it was ~1000mi away from the epicenter of the earthquake, but still, ****. :(

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Further to my moan about the consulate in Osaka being closed yesterday. Seems I was not the only one a little miffed.
Australia’s decision to close one of its Japanese consulate offices for a public holiday yesterday did not leave citizens stranded in the wake of the disaster, authorities say.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade last night confirmed it had closed its consulate counters in Osaka, but said officers were still working around the clock to help people.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/dfat-denies-closed-japanese-consulate-left-australians-stranded-20110315-1bv21.html

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Prime Minister on the BBC now saying that the nuclear power plant situation is getting worse and "high" levels of radiation are being released.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Sh!t, this is getting bad.

On a more political note, the conservatives coming out over the weekend/last night claiming that everything is fine is pretty pathetic. The WSJ had two "opinion" articles out on how we weren't facing another Chernobyl and that fears were overblown. It's like the conservatives were trying to win the messaging war before the situation was fully resolved (kinda like Egypt)...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Sh!t, this is getting bad.

On a more political note, the conservatives coming out over the weekend/last night claiming that everything is fine is pretty pathetic. The WSJ had two "opinion" articles out on how we weren't facing another Chernobyl and that fears were overblown. It's like the conservatives were trying to win the messaging war before the situation was fully resolved (kinda like Egypt)...
dear unabomber,

they saw the glass as merely being half full.

regards, the tea party.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
so uh vb....when should you be getting the hell outta dodge?
The lady at the consulate today when I rang asked me if I wanted to be released...errrr evacuated from Japan. I told her I'd stay put and asked a few questions. Basically they want you to do everything on-line which I can understand but the diplomatic folks need to understand that people want to speak to a person when this kind of situation occurs. I also want to speak to an Australian person rather than a Japanese one but that's a moan for another time. She did do a very good job of conveying a sense of calm and was, well, very diplomatic.
So in a word no free trip back home for the time being (as a few of us had hoped) but we'll obviously keep a close eye on things. Certainly where I live today there was a palpable sense of the show must go on and the best thing those of us in the unaffected areas can do is provide any support requested but other wise get on with things. I noticed when I got home just before that the TV was back on normal programming. The wife made the very good point that those poor buggers stuck in the evacuation centres up north (assuming they have power) are probably grateful for seeing something a bit normal on the idiot box after 4 days of non-stop death.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
not only did we lose 1 hour of sleep b/c of daylight savings, we apparently lost another 1.8microseconds to the day b/c of the 9.0 earthquake.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
in the words of alec baldwin....brass balls...
It's just like you fvcking hippies to not give a **** about the productive classes. What about those poor TEPCO execs? I bet they are having trouble sleeping at night, they're so busy. Spare a thought for them, would you? They are the true victims here, not a bunch of guys holding out on site for a disability pension and a free ride from the Japanese taxpayer.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
So um....vb...really.....shouldn't you maybe consider taking some unscheduled vacation back to the homeland? It's sounding a little dodgy........
I appreciate your concern mate. We're fine for now where we are and for people in my situation evacuating would require efforts that are best spent helping people who are really in need of help, not to mention the disruption to my wife, kids and workmates.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
not only did we lose 1 hour of sleep b/c of daylight savings, we apparently lost another 1.8microseconds to the day b/c of the 9.0 earthquake.
Me and my lady got an extra day on the Galapagos Islands out of it.
We were evacuated on the morning of our flight back to mainland Ecuador.
Its not allways a bad thing to be evacuated when they bring you to a ranch in the highlands, especially when theres a pool and a bar...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Anybody else thinking the world ending in 2012 might not be so wrong, japans earthquate tsunami, and nuclear disaster, global warming setting over 20 records this year, animals extinct, more pollution than people, ect. Party hard until 2012!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My program has aircraft that get rework done by NIPPI at Atsugi. In spite of the traffic, lines for gas, erratic trian schedules and shoratages of everything, on top of rolling 4 hour blackouts, they are at work, repaired the hangar doors and are starting work again today, email from the supervisor "apologized" for the fact it may take a "4 or 5 more days to get back to some sort of normal". Wow. We were figuring weeks, if not months.

The Japanese culture is impressive, especially after living in New Orleans and personally witnessing the post Katrina debacle.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
My program has aircraft that get rework done by NIPPI at Atsugi. In spite of the traffic, lines for gas, erratic trian schedules and shoratages of everything, on top of rolling 4 hour blackouts, they are at work, repaired the hangar doors and are starting work again today, email from the supervisor "apologized" for the fact it may take a "4 or 5 more days to get back to some sort of normal". Wow. We were figuring weeks, if not months.

The Japanese culture is impressive, especially after living in New Orleans and personally witnessing the post Katrina debacle.
I'd point out that millions of NYers went back to work on 9/12/2001 except that I might be accused of "geographic racism". ;)