Quantcast

Michy 2.8 F&R????

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Has anyone ran the Michy 26x2.8 in the front and the rear. Im just wondering who has tried it and how it worked.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
It worked out fine for me, the 2.8 in the rear doesn't offer much of any room for mud in most frames though, S_Cruz bullit fit.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I have a set of Michelin 2.8 and I rarely use them for anything but muddy conditions. I hate my 2.7 minion sr's and 2.5 comp 24.1's in mud, and the 2.8 michi is better than my mobsters or high rollers in mud IMO. I prefer the 2.7 minion sr's for dry. I think overall the Michelin 2.8's make a good setup for a wide range of conditions, the downside is their weight and rolling resistance. It was also the only tire I flatted with during a race this season, but I think that was a fluke.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
ive seen that done a bunch, not sure how well it worked, they do make a 2.5 version of that tire which would be a little more sane me thinks.

~SGD

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
not 100% but i have seen them....although im not sure if they were production or not.

maybe someone else can verify that.

~SGD

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I dont think they make a 2.5 in the 2.8 tread pattern. If they did a lot of people would run them. Im 99.9999% sure

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I run a pair of 2.5's but do not know if they are the same tread pattern as the 2.8's. The Mich 2.5's hook up like you are on rails. They look to be about the same size as the Maxxis Minnion 2.7 I run on my other bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So, they would be a good choice for slow, techy, dry, stunt, huck, trails. Not great twisty, fast, race type trails......:)

I sure wish Michy made the 32 in a 2.5

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I don't think a pair of Comp 32 (f&r) will make a good combination.

When I use a Comp 32 in the front I use a 2.5 Comp 24 in the rear.

For all weather conditions Michelin states in there web site a good tire combination is a Comp 16 in the front with a Comp 24 in the rear.

I thing the Comp 16 is the best tire ever made.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
AlberTop said:
I don't think a pair of Comp 32 (f&r) will make a good combination.

When I use a Comp 32 in the front I use a 2.5 Comp 24 in the rear.

For all weather conditions Michelin states in there web site a good tire combination is a Comp 16 in the front with a Comp 24 in the rear.

I thing the Comp 16 is the best tire ever made.
Comp 16s are awesome is a variety of conditions. The 2.2 Comp 16 is the best all around DH/FR tire made, in my opinion.

Anyways, I have run a Comp 32 2.8 f+r a few times. It worked fine. One great thing about that tire is how much damping it adds to the ride at low pressures because the sidewall isn't incredibly stiff and it has huge air volume. It's also a versatile tread. Better in dry than wet, but not bad when in the mud. The bad, as you would imagine, is rolling resistance. I wouldn't really run that combo anywhere that required pedaling. The ideal condition for that setup would be a steep, dry, really rough course.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I ran Comp32's ft/rr on my DHR and loved it. Only downside was the above-mentioned rolling resistance and tight mud clearance.

If you want a Comp32 tread in a smaller size I recommend the Kenda Nevegal 2.5's. My Nevegals have been a great mini-Comp32 alternative. :thumb: Intense makes their 909 in a 2.5, but it's heavier than the 2.8 Michy. The "light" EX version is still about the same weight as the Michy.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Kanter,
As I told you a bit ago (regarding my pending new set of Minions), that may no longer be true, and I may too be in the market for a new setup. I was thinking about a 2.5 Comp 16 in the front, and a Tioga White Tiger 2.5 in the rear. Are you looking for wider tires than that? For winter, I would think that such a setup would be perfect, but that's just me. My current 2.5 mobster F and 2.5 Minion R setup is wearing out, and oh hack it. I'll stop hiding the truth. I'm a tire whore. That is why I want something new. I would run the 2.8 Comp 32 up front with a White Tiger in the rear (2.5) if my fork could fit it, but alas, it cannot. Why do you want a 2.8" Comp 32 in the rear??

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I have the 2.5s on my hardtail, front and rear, and they are the worst mud tires (for silty clay loam conditions) that I have ever ridden. When it is hardpack season they work great, but in muddy conditions they just float all over the mud. This means I end up washing on every steep corner.

I just changed over to some Minions on my big bike and they have worked great so far for the muddy conditions. $0.02

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
sam_little said:
I have the 2.5s on my hardtail, front and rear, and they are the worst mud tires (for silty clay loam conditions) that I have ever ridden. When it is hardpack season they work great, but in muddy conditions they just float all over the mud. This means I end up washing on every steep corner.

I just changed over to some Minions on my big bike and they have worked great so far for the muddy conditions. $0.02
For the last time- Comp 32s are only made in a 2.8. You are probably thinking of 24s.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
But why oh WHY won't Micchie produce that damned 2.5" comp 32???????

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
seismic said:
just get something else :)
Well, it's not like I'm riding around without a front tire...of course I got something else! Doesn't mean I would't prefer a 2.5 version of the 32!

MD

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
erikkellison said:
Kanter,
As I told you a bit ago (regarding my pending new set of Minions), that may no longer be true, and I may too be in the market for a new setup. I was thinking about a 2.5 Comp 16 in the front, and a Tioga White Tiger 2.5 in the rear. Are you looking for wider tires than that? For winter, I would think that such a setup would be perfect, but that's just me. My current 2.5 mobster F and 2.5 Minion R setup is wearing out, and oh hack it. I'll stop hiding the truth. I'm a tire whore. That is why I want something new. I would run the 2.8 Comp 32 up front with a White Tiger in the rear (2.5) if my fork could fit it, but alas, it cannot. Why do you want a 2.8" Comp 32 in the rear??
I am posting this for a buddy. He cant post from work and him home internet is down right now. He can only observe from work.

I dont like to run anything over a 2.5. Im a Minion or Highroller fan myself. I just wish they didn't have the orange sripe.

Now if they made a 2.5 version of the comp 32, I would be all over that. I ride too much uphill for 2.8s.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I think this post is funny....we keep talking about a tire that does not exist......and now I might get accused for being negative...but since when did an orange stripe on the tyre become important ?? it is a tire !!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
JRogers said:
The 2.2 Comp 16 is the best all around DH/FR tire made, in my opinion.
agreed! its all i run now. the 2.8's are just too heavy & baloony (IMO) - they just feel cumbersome. you can buy the 16's cheap as well (most likely due to their un-fashionable skinnyness), last ones i picked up for $20 ea.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
16s just don't cut it in southern California. Up north, sure...down here, they're not so great.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
true - what works in our wet rocky / rooty / loamy conditions doesnt necesarily rock everywhere else. the 16's arent an optimum hardpack tire. comp 24's though...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And 24s are what I'm on...I just think they're merely passable as a front tire, though. I miss that Comp 32 bite and hold...and their ability to work when it gets damp. (Not often, but it does happen here in the winter...)

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Bulldog said:
I ran Comp32's ft/rr on my DHR and loved it. Only downside was the above-mentioned rolling resistance and tight mud clearance.

If you want a Comp32 tread in a smaller size I recommend the Kenda Nevegal 2.5's. My Nevegals have been a great mini-Comp32 alternative. :thumb: Intense makes their 909 in a 2.5, but it's heavier than the 2.8 Michy. The "light" EX version is still about the same weight as the Michy.
Bulldog, do you use the Nevegal in the front? I'm considering the Nevegal/blue groove combo, but don't know which would be better in which position...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the blue groove is pretty much a front specific tire. the nevegal can be run f&r, but the typical setup is a nevegal rear / bg front. i had this setup for a while (2.5's); impressive tires. worked really well in our wet nw trail conditions as well as hardpack dry (whistler in summer) fast stuff. great bang for the buck.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
seismic said:
I think this post is funny....we keep talking about a tire that does not exist......and now I might get accused for being negative...but since when did an orange stripe on the tyre become important ?? it is a tire !!
We have a special upgrade available for people who like Maxxis tires but don't like the orange stripe. We're calling it "Sharpie technology," although Von has been working on this other means to the same end called "Project Krylon, codename Rattlecan."

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
James, while you're here...

Please, please fix the tire section on your site! The Intense tires are all jumbled with the Kenda tires when I look at the page. Can't read either...and you guys have the best info on Kendas I've seen. (and a damned good price on that Thomson X4 I want!)

(looking for some lightish 2.3-2.5s these days...Krispy's review is very helpful, too.)

Unless it's my browser jacking things up...

MD

Edit: Nevermind...looks like it was just Mozilla. IE works fine.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
To follow the slight derailment on Kenda...I've used the nevegal 2.5 front and rear and the nevegal 2.7 rear and blue groove 2.7 font. The nevegal works pretty well for a front but I found that it washed out more than I liked, especially in loose rocky stuff. The nevegal tread pattern seems geared more towards acceleration and braking traction rather than side loading. The 2.7 Blue Groove is awesome up front, sticks to everything and plenty clearance in my 888. The 2.7 Nevegal is crazy fat (and tall profile), for me really too much and too heavy 'cept maybe for the rocks at Northstar. I'm gonna slap a 2.5 nevegal back on the rear and run the 2.5 nevegal rear/2.7 blue groove front combo next, I think that'll be the ticket for me.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone else think the Kenda Kintetic Sticky front tire looks a lot like a Comp 32? Anyone care to comment on how it rides?

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Brian HCM#1 said:
I thought I heard through the grapevine that Michelin is supposed to make a Comp 32 in a 2.5 for 05.
Are you trying to be an antagonist? ;)

Oh, and for the record, my tire preference is based mostly on the loose, loamy, muddy, slick, wet wood terrain that I ride. That's why I run a Mobster and Minion F & R, and why I want to run a 2.5 Comp 16 F and 2.5 White Tiger R. Only time I ever saw hardpack was at Whistler. I took some pictures even so I could show my friends who had never seen it.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
MikeD said:
Anyone else think the Kenda Kintetic Sticky front tire looks a lot like a Comp 32? Anyone care to comment on how it rides?

IMO the Nevegal tread is closer to a Comp32 than a Kinetics. I've owned all 3. Between the Kendas I prefer the Nev over the Kinetic. Very slight personal preference advantage though, they are pretty close.

tazzmenn

Chimp
Jun 8, 2004
Richmond BC CDN
I run the comp 32 in 2.8 front and rear. It is the best thing I did for improving my traction in the rear. Braking a little harder with the rear made me more confident on the tight drops. It also improved my braking control because the tire is so predicatable. I do a lot of slow technical riding down steep rocks and slippery wood structures on the Shore. It felt good at whistler, when I got into some of the stunts on clown shoes it realy preformed.

RED5

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
So.Cal
Kanter said:
I dont like to run anything over a 2.5. Im a Minion or Highroller fan myself. I just wish they didn't have the orange sripe.
Tell you buddy to buy something other than the 60duro versions of the Maxxis tires and the orange stripe will not be there since it's not on the Super Tacky or Slow Reezay versions.

konaracer

Chimp
May 21, 2004
I rode the 2.8 and never had such a good tire with mad side bite. I also put the direction backwards through more mud in your face but more agressive of a tread

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
We have alot wet, rocky, steep stuff around here in NY. I need all the traction I can get to keep up with some of the fellow riders. I've found the Mich 2.8 F and Nevegal 2.5 DH R to be the best set up on the DH rig. I absolutely love Mich Comp 16 F+R on my DS type hardtail. If I had to pedal significant distances, I wound run 2.35 Kev Blue Groove F and Nevegal R on the hardtail. I've found the Kev Kendas pinch flat way too much for any DH application....then again, I've never been accused of being the smoothest rider.