Quantcast

Minion 2

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm guesstimating here, but I think the cornering forces are higher on a rear tire than a front tire.

Which means a rear tire needs to be able to corner just as hard or harder than the front (unless you want it to be drifty).

So really, the rear tire has a lot more work to do all around (and why it wears much more quickly).

Given that requirement, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to use a really excellent rear tire in the front as well (or vice versa). I generally run the same tire front and rear.
Rear tires also need to produce driving and braking force. The large drive/brake paddle on that minion 2 will help achieve both, plus you still get the side knobs of the DHF for cornering. Trade-off should be more drifting in stand-up off camber situations.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Rear tires also need to produce driving and braking force. The large drive/brake paddle on that minion 2 will help achieve both, plus you still get the side knobs of the DHF for cornering. Trade-off should be more drifting in stand-up off camber situations.
Yes, of course, but braking forces will be just as great if not more so on the front tire, which only leaves driving forces that separate front and rear, and they are the least of everyone's concern. Look how many folks are running High Roller rears after all...right up to Peaty himself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm guesstimating here, but I think the cornering forces are higher on a rear tire than a front tire.

Which means a rear tire needs to be able to corner just as hard or harder than the front (unless you want it to be drifty).

So really, the rear tire has a lot more work to do all around (and why it wears much more quickly).

Given that requirement, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want to use a really excellent rear tire in the front as well (or vice versa). I generally run the same tire front and rear.
Keep in mind it's a little harder to push a front tire into a skid under hard braking (with the rider straight up and down). So you don't need quite as much of a hard braking surface to brake with traction as you do a rear which wants to skid.

Plus with that reduced pressure on the front wheel, a good solid sideknob configuration to hold in corners is even more important.

I think those are the differences he was referring to.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yes, of course, but braking forces will be just as great if not more so on the front tire, which only leaves driving forces that separate front and rear, and they are the least of everyone's concern. Look how many folks are running High Roller rears after all...right up to Peaty himself.
When I say braking force I'm talking about tire=>ground. On that Minion 2 there is more braking edge then on a DHF, thus more braking force.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It should be a course/riding style decision. You can have an edge in stand up braking or off-camber grip, choose one - there's no right answer.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Considering those both work on different sections of a tire, they're not mutually exclusive.
You're right, I should have clarified - partially standing up off camber (not fully transitioned to side knobs). At that point you've got more edge force as you're pushing your back wheel sideways (with a DHF).

Last edited:

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Front brake = slowing down.

Rear brake = control.

Two different styles of braking altogether. The front tire has to handle steering and braking while having lots of weight on it. The rear tire helps in controlling what your bike is doing. That's why having a really good rear tire and a really good front tire are so vitally important.

At least that's my opinion. I've been known to be wrong. ;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
At least that's my opinion. I've been known to be wrong. ;)
opinions are like......yeah, and we all have one and they all stink.

I was wrong once too, but turns out I was wrong about that as well. So I think you are good, your statement is very valid.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Keep in mind it's a little harder to push a front tire into a skid under hard braking (with the rider straight up and down). So you don't need quite as much of a hard braking surface to brake with traction as you do a rear which wants to skid.

Plus with that reduced pressure on the front wheel, a good solid sideknob configuration to hold in corners is even more important.
Yeah, I agree with that.

I just wanted to make the point that often people think the front tire is for cornering and the rear tire is for traction/braking, but it's really not that simple at all.

I think the different loading between the front and the rear (or pressure as you put it) is really what should drive the differences in front / rear tire design.

It should be a course/riding style decision.
Agree with this too.

I've always preferred to ride with loads of grip, as I'm not too confident drifting my rear tire and I don't ride a lot of dry loose conditions anyway. I can see how some might prefer a bit more drift on the rear, especially these guys riding so loose it looks like they've got a throttle.

I tried a Stick-E Excavator rear recently and I must admit, there was one corner where I wanted it to let go and it just wouldn't.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just wanted to make the point that often people think the front tire is for cornering and the rear tire is for traction/braking, but it's really not that simple at all.
For sure. But those are really significant criteria though.....it's definitely not incorrect. But I know you know that.

Personally, I don't think it's that black and white because I rarely one brake anything. I'm almost always on both brakes very evenly if I'm braking at all, dirtjumping, dh riding, whatever. Locking up the rear wheel and slamming into a shltty switchback pocket is literally about the only time I use just one brake. I listen to people all day long preach about rear brake only scenarios but it's usually (always) from someone slower than me who has problems keeping their front wheel tracking so I don't worry about it. :D

Throw a dhf on the rear of one of your bikes and start pressing hard into some corners you usually brake a little bit for.....with out braking though. That tire does the predictable controlled slide like no other. It's like skiing a fresh corduroy groomer.

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
hmm...going out on a limb there with that statement. :D
Yea I'm not always the most eloquent.

I meant if you have a proper rear specific tire and a proper front specific tire, that's better than running two front tires or two rear tires. Know wut ah mean?

P.S. I need to find out a way that some lucky bike company will 'provide' a downhill bike to a poor tire designer. LOL.... how hard could that be?

Last edited:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Originally Posted by WParsons:
That's a totally rear specific tire. Look at that big center block with the dual sipes. I'd like to think I had a hand in on that one. That's going to be a big ol' braking 'plow', which for most conditions is what you want for a rear tire. When you want controlled rear braking you want to have something that will push dirt, not float over top.

The old DHR had a massive channel down the middle with angled inside edges which basically made the tire have no straight line braking.

This new one addresses those issues.

Combine this tire on the back with a DHF or HR2 up front and for soft/intermediate conditions it'll be hard to beat.
Wayne - thank GOD. The old DHR was such a horrible match to the stellar DHF. I really REALLY don't like that tire even after giving it multiple chances to work for me. Super stoked to try this new DHR II with the HR II. :thumb:

P.S. I need to find out a way that some lucky bike company will 'provide' a downhill bike to a poor tire designer. LOL.... how hard could that be?
Let me talk to some people and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Wayne - thank GOD. The old DHR was such a horrible match to the stellar DHF. I really REALLY don't like that tire even after giving it multiple chances to work for me. Super stoked to try this new DHR II with the HR II. :thumb:

Let me talk to some people and I'll see what I can do.
Woo! :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hate to admit it but they're way too hard of a compound. Totally different from tires in the past. I don't know what they're thinking. I'm bummed because I love the feel of michelins, and how easily they set up tubeless.... They're literally rock hard though :(
Which ones did you get Ian?
I just got the 2.5 wildrock'r tires, but I don't have them on my bike yet.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hate to admit it but they're way too hard of a compound. Totally different from tires in the past. I don't know what they're thinking. I'm bummed because I love the feel of michelins, and how easily they set up tubeless.... They're literally rock hard though :(
Noooo, I was going to get a set of WildGrip'r 2.5's rather than fork out another tenner a tyre for HR's. :( The hard 55a or whatever compound was the only thing putting me off using one on the front. I'm confused though, you say you love the feel of Michelins, but they're too hard? I take it you mean you love the feel of riding the old ones, but not the new ones?

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
I love the feel of the tire itself. I like running Michelin because I like the feel of a tubeless tire and slightly thinner casing at a slightly higher psi. To me a maxxis is a little thick. Add a tube in there and it just seems kinda dead. Not as lively. I dunno. Just personal preference.

so when i said "feel" i wasn't referring to compound so much as the carcass of the tire

Last edited:

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Ah ok, never ran tubeless myself but I can sort of imagine what you mean... maybe. :)

Just with regards to the compound then, would you not recommend them on that basis? Most of the year I ride on damp or wet rocks, roots and mud, so if the hard compound is going to dump me on my arse every time I hit a wet rock I might have to give them a miss.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I love the feel of the tire itself. I like running Michelin because I like the feel of a tubeless tire and slightly thinner casing at a slightly higher psi. To me a maxxis is a little thick. Add a tube in there and it just seems kinda dead. Not as lively. I dunno. Just personal preference.

so when i said "feel" i wasn't referring to compound so much as the carcass of the tire
You've tried regular maxxis dh tires tubeless then? I've run them on 7inch bikes like that for years (and have a 2.35 dh minion on the back of my trailbike tubeless right now). I haven't had any luck keeping tubeless tires of any brand on my dh bike but I've been pretty happy with the non UST maxxis ones on other bikes. I think I've only put a hole in one of them in about 6 years worth of going that route.

I would think that any DH casing tire is fair game for tubeless though.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
You've tried regular maxxis dh tires tubeless then? I've run them on 7inch bikes like that for years (and have a 2.35 dh minion on the back of my trailbike tubeless right now). I haven't had any luck keeping tubeless tires of any brand on my dh bike but I've been pretty happy with the non UST maxxis ones on other bikes. I think I've only put a hole in one of them in about 6 years worth of going that route.

I would think that any DH casing tire is fair game for tubeless though.
i wasn't planning on it, but i might try it....i really don't want to deal with burping, and that is what i liked about michelins...it's one of the only UST/Nagesti certified tubeless tires out there...it has a super precise, sharp fit between the bead and that channel in the sidewall of just about any mavic rim(they mate up well)

i've heard bad things about the UST maxxis, and i'm just weary about running a non tubeless one set up as a tubeless tire...we'll see..i'll experiment some

soooooooo anyway...anyone know when this is coming out?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i wasn't planning on it, but i might try it....i really don't want to deal with burping, and that is what i liked about michelins...it's one of the only UST/Nagesti certified tubeless tires out there...it has a super precise, sharp fit between the bead and that channel in the sidewall of just about any mavic rim(they mate up well)

i've heard bad things about the UST maxxis, and i'm just weary about running a non tubeless one set up as a tubeless tire...we'll see..i'll experiment some
Screw the USTs. Just grab a set of the normal dh tires. I've run regular dh minions on an uzzi vpx, a demo 7 and a turner highline and can honestly say, I never burped them. I DID put a hole in one but I kind of deserved it when it happened. But like you said, run a little higher pressure than what you would with tubes just to take up the slack left over from losing the structural support of a tube. This was on deemax and 823 rims (yeah I know, same rim). But I HAVE burped them on my dh bike.....plus put more holes, pinched sidewalls that wouldn't seal....but that's not particular to maxxis, I've done that with every single tire I've ever run tubeless on my dedicated dh bike. But you sound like you have better luck than me in general doing that.

For what it's worth, I did try running some old comp 32s tubeless and I DID burp them. Those things were so tall tough that leverage comes into play.:p So yeah, take that for what it's worth. On a set of deemax wheels.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Screw the USTs. Just grab a set of the normal dh tires. I've run regular dh minions on an uzzi vpx, a demo 7 and a turner highline and can honestly say, I never burped them. I DID put a hole in one but I kind of deserved it when it happened. But like you said, run a little higher pressure than what you would with tubes just to take up the slack left over from losing the structural support of a tube. This was on deemax and 823 rims (yeah I know, same rim). But I HAVE burped them on my dh bike.....plus put more holes, pinched sidewalls that wouldn't seal....but that's not particular to maxxis, I've done that with every single tire I've ever run tubeless on my dedicated dh bike. But you sound like you have better luck than me in general doing that.

For what it's worth, I did try running some old comp 32s tubeless and I DID burp them. Those things were so tall tough that leverage comes into play.:p So yeah, take that for what it's worth. On a set of deemax wheels.
yeah, that's what i ordered(standard NON UST minion F and hi roller 2.5 3C)...first set of maxxis since the orange striped mobster tire back in my plattekill days circa 2000...hoping i'll be pleased

i really want to try the HR2 and the Minion 2 asap

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You've never owned a minion tire?

WTF's wrong with you boi!!!!

You'll dig'em.

You and I both ride in kind of desert conditions. Minion 2.7 3c in the front and a maxpro(60d) 2.5 high roller in the rear is what boils my biscuits. People like to make fun of running a 2.7 in the front but if you compare it with a 2.5, the knob mold is the same size, just further spaced (IE they work better). And everyone knows maxxis sizing is whacked. It's not a big tire by any means.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
You've never owned a minion tire?

WTF's wrong with you boi!!!!

You'll dig'em.

You and I both ride in kind of desert conditions. Minion 2.7 3c in the front and a maxpro(60d) 2.5 high roller in the rear is what boils my biscuits. People like to make fun of running a 2.7 in the front but if you compare it with a 2.5, the knob mold is the same size, just further spaced (IE they work better). And everyone knows maxxis sizing is whacked. It's not a big tire by any means.
well, i've tried them, but never owned them...i liked them and i'm pretty excited, i hear nothing but good things....

hmmmm...welp maybe i'll have to try the 2.7 also...you and i seem to gravitate towards similar stuff...plus i always liked the comp 32 up front...i like the idea of a fairly large front tire....i can run firmer compression in my fork and have to worry less about smoking my front wheel....

i'll keep you posted on what i think....and i maybe be headed to N* this summer...i'll hit you on the head if i do

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
that's a bummer but I can relate. Lately I've been experimenting with different tires (brands) and noticed that for some, even their DH compound feel pretty hard. There is something about Maxxis Compounds that feel just right, even 60d. :thumb::thumb:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Really? I'm using them and I disagree strongly! The knobs are firmer, but they feel just as soft to the touch on the surface. I believe they're dual compound; firm rubber underneath and a softer layer on top? Seem to corner as well as my maxxis did to me, and roll quicker too.

Michelin wouldn't get something so fundamental wrong, surely? It's not like making tyres is new business to them!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Really? I'm using them and I disagree strongly! The knobs are firmer, but they feel just as soft to the touch on the surface. I believe they're dual compound; firm rubber underneath and a softer layer on top? Seem to corner as well as my maxxis did to me, and roll quicker too.

Michelin wouldn't get something so fundamental wrong, surely? It's not like making tyres is new business to them!
What tire is it you're referring to in particular? I have a feeling the wildgrip'r 2.5 is still soft(old comp 16)

Where are yours made? Mine were from thailand

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
that's a bummer but I can relate. Lately I've been experimenting with different tires (brands) and noticed that for some, even their DH compound feel pretty hard. There is something about Maxxis Compounds that feel just right, even 60d. :thumb::thumb:
Yeah, everyone is sick of all the random standards in MTB, but having some standard durometer guidelines would be cool

I Hope I like the new stuff