Quantcast

***Moanday GMT***

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
have my second interview today. I'm more nervous about requesting the day off at work than I am about sitting in a tiny room for 6 hours with people asking me questions. I guess that's like an indicator or something.

Still wondering about the other job. It would be a lateral move but I believe that progression further down the line would be greater, even if it sets me back six months in terms of corporate ladder. Heard negative things about the company too, but those were a long time ago. I guess we'll see what the offer looks like when/if it comes in.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
coffee is good, I must have done the weekend right because I am totally relaxed this morning. I am not even stiff or sore. This is surprising considering that I rode hard, ran, and did a 5 hour kayak session on the lake over the past two days.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

It's a beautiful day out there....let's go make something of it.

Didn't get a chance to drop this nugget of info on Friday as tensions in the office were incredibly high. They bounced about 10 people out on Friday afternoon - the Bob's decided there were some departments that could be absorbed into others. They terminated one of our systems trainers who had been here for 15yrs. and had given more of her personal time to the company than anyone combined. That showed me whether you're here for 15 years or 5 months, the company cares about the bottom line and not you. I've got a conversation set up with another company that's closer to home and hopefully this may lead to a more stable situation.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Plans for the week - make a ton of food. Kimchi, other fermented shit, drink old fashioneds, invite people every second day to eat it and talk shit. Maybe watch a bad movie together about Evil Japanese Nuns.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
even if it sets me back six months in terms of corporate ladder
Fucking corporate ladder. :disgust1: You know who excels at climbing it? Psychopaths and sociopaths.

Morning! Another shitty week of dealing with corporate ladder empty suits ahead. I just hope I am going to last until the 2017 bonus payout in March. I am making too many enemies by openly calling out some people's incompetence to be able to stay for much longer.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Productive weekend. Fiddled with the new welder running coupons and getting my technique down. Just running flux core at the moment, but was able to stick things together adequately. Fabbed up awning brackets and after measuring 50 times tacked them in placed. Everything lines up nicely, so I'll probably burn them in tonight then can get the awning mounted on the trailer. It was one of the more testy items as I had to make sure the bolt holes in the brackets aligned along an 8' span.

Untitled by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Fucking corporate ladder. :disgust1: You know who excels at climbing it? Psychopaths and sociopaths.

Morning! Another shitty week of dealing with corporate ladder empty suits ahead. I just hope I am going to last until the 2017 bonus payout in March. I am making too many enemies by openly calling out some people's incompetence to be able to stay for much longer.
I don't disagree with you, just want to make sure my career grows at a reasonable rate and I don't stay at the same place for too long. I have no dreams of becoming ceo, but keeping food in the table is nice

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had a super weird dream last night about dinosaurs. Trex and velociraptors be eating everybody!

...Might not hit the shed so hard tonight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Last night I dreamt that I was supposed to meet my section chief for skiing at the bottom of a lift at 10 AM, but I got on the lift myself by mistake. This lift turned out to be 40 minutes long, and then there was a ride on an old bus across the town at the top of the lift before I could get my skis on and ski back down to meet him.

I don't disagree with you, just want to make sure my career grows at a reasonable rate and I don't stay at the same place for too long. I have no dreams of becoming ceo, but keeping food in the table is nice
Why is career "growth" per se a goal? Goals such as doing something actually useful and keeping food on the table I understand.

Looking back, I see time spent at various gigs increasing over time - short span early jobs, three years in the Army, seven years at Draper Labs, four years at Simmonds Precision, thirteen years at Digital, then twenty three years at C2. Doing something useful was always a goal, salary a distant second, and "growth" not at all.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> sets me back six months in terms of corporate ladder.
What sort of ladder is this? :think:

<snip> That showed me whether you're here for 15 years or 5 months, the company cares about the bottom line and not you.
Glad you learned this lesson while you were still young.

<snip> I just hope I am going to last until the 2017 bonus payout in March. I am making too many enemies by openly calling out some people's incompetence to be able to stay for much longer.
Start working on your resignation letter - those things can be cathartic...

10" at Grand Targhee...gotta run!
Get movin' boy! That shit ain't gon' ski itself. Oh - and hit Mary's Nipple a couple times for me, will ya? :brows:

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Measured the leftover wood I have from the handicap ramp in the garage from when we moved in and there is enough to put two 8'x3' climbing walls onto Haley's play structure. Her play structure has small pebble surface area, so she should be fine to fall into it, but I might just have her pull the crashpad out every time she wants to climb.

Any guys know how this stuff will handle exposure to the elements? If it will break down, any suggestions for wood that wont' or paint that I should use to help seal it? @jonKranked I do realize this will shorten the life of the holds.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Here. Measured the leftover wood I have from the handicap ramp in the garage from when we moved in and there is enough to put two 8'x3' climbing walls onto Haley's play structure. Her play structure has small pebble surface area, so she should be fine to fall into it, but I might just have her pull the crashpad out every time she wants to climb.

Any guys know how this stuff will handle exposure to the elements? If it will break down, any suggestions for wood that wont' or paint that I should use to help seal it? @jonKranked I do realize this will shorten the life of the holds.
be a cooler dad than you already are....build a pavillion over it...

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

OSB is mucho unhappy outside unpainted, would suggest paint to cover up the look of OSB

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i wouldn't recommend OSB for outdoor use. you could get away with it for indoor use, but it's a chipped compressed laminate and exposure to moisture will cause it to degrade far quicker. the concern with this material for climbing walls is ripping the whole holds out (t-nut backing and all). but the chipped / compressed nature results in an inconsistent internal structure that doesn't expand consistently when it gets wet.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Glad you learned this lesson while you were still young.
I wish I could say this was a new lesson learned....I've been chewed up and spit out several times over the last ten years by companies. I thought this situation was entirely different because the turnover rate was quite low. At 45, you start to look for opportunities that have more long-term prospects....this was surprising to see.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

OSB has a waxy waterproofing coating that is intended to protect during construction, but it is not designed for long term exposure to the elements. Eventually all those little compressed chips of wood absorb water, expand and the whole mess kind of disintegrates has the strength of a wet phone book. You would need to not just paint it, but cover it and keep it dry.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wish I could say this was a new lesson learned....I've been chewed up and spit out several times over the last ten years by companies. I thought this situation was entirely different because the turnover rate was quite low. At 45, you start to look for opportunities that have more long-term prospects....this was surprising to see.

Companies that do not optimize their organizations do not last. A good company takes a good employee whose position no longer makes sense and applies them in a new position that brings value. People who cannot adapt to new roles put themselves at risk of being obsolete. Good companies also get rid of not so great employees, sometimes the least painful way (for the employee) is to do this is via a layoff.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Companies that do not optimize their organizations do not last. A good company takes a good employee whose position no longer makes sense and applies them in a new position that brings value. People who cannot adapt to new roles put themselves at risk of being obsolete. Good companies also get rid of not so great employees, sometimes the least painful way (for the employee) is to do this is via a layoff.
westy has revealed himself to be a lizard-bot.