Quantcast

Motorcycle Thread

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
@buckoW, more like the KTM 790 or 890 Adventure for a one-bike fits-all solution. But just like with pedal bikes, always compromises with that approach.

Love those spiky tires. And to think, road bikers are worried about spinning rotors! :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife has never gotten into pedal bikes, but she enjoyed the CVT quad. She could actually ride, too. But when the daughter quit riding, we sold em. Now she's decided we need to ride again and pull the trailer with Frita. So I'm down.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@buckoW, more like the KTM 790 or 890 Adventure for a one-bike fits-all solution. But just like with pedal bikes, always compromises with that approach.

Love those spiky tires. And to think, road bikers are worried about spinning rotors! :rofl:
Sweet! The Rally 790 has better suspension it looks like. I would like one of those style bikes one day!

My Dad always had BMW GS bikes and a BMW R75/5 and I often wonder why I started riding motorcycles so late in life. Actually, I know why.... I thought it was dangerous haha....
Oh well, my wife and I love to ride together and we both got our licenses in our mid thirties. Here are a few of my Dad’s bikes.

B705B76D-7CD1-45E2-9B6A-BA6BA886014E.jpeg
3B4FC191-5AD6-498F-A397-A18A8C8A8258.jpeg
6F0106A7-C5BF-4112-B45D-433177E702F5.jpeg

He used to ride from Tucson down to the tip of Baja and back. This is from the last time he did it with his 60 year old college buddy.
3BF3F32D-B28C-437F-8840-F54047F4930E.jpeg

I was always interested in trail riding and maybe some technical riding but never long distance simply because my lower back is moldy.

This is my biggest and most ridden bike. I have plates but a 2 stroke isn’t super cool on the road. Street bikes are too much fun on these twisty mountain roads and I can’t be trusted.
1F5FA12F-299E-42D6-B625-ED966BC23AFF.jpeg

@jimmydean My wife and I love riding motorcycles together. I say go for it! She is so proud everytime.
21147538-C98E-486C-A370-8E33A16A3929.jpeg

I love anything with 2 wheels and a handlebar! @dump you got anymore pics of your uncle’s chopper? That thing’s a beauty!

I have a left hand rear brake on 2 of my bikes so I can ride down the WC track when it’s wet. I know it’s not for purists but I like having the option for hand or foot brake. It makes wet and steep right corners a breeze.

AA68596A-C4E0-49A4-B37F-52BC2670B55E.jpeg

Anybody watch Erzberg or Romainaks?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@kidwoo Haha, yeah... I have mixed feelings on hard enduro but with the new sticky tires it is all of a sudden semi possible. I never thought you could get good grip on wet roots and rocks until now.

This kind of stuff is all my buddy wants to ride. I got maybe 30 feet up in there before aborting mission. He went real far and was quite happy with himself. I have no idea what I’m doing riding with him and our third trail builder and sometimes I go home early but sometimes I make it up their “trails”.

9F8E897E-CDEE-4AC6-9F8E-B3BAFC59EAD8.jpeg

Attachments

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
GFF pointed me to Graham Jarvis the first year he won Romaniacs. I have been following him for a while and then got a book from him. His story is pretty good and his skills are incredible. He was good at trials,but hard enduro is where he shines and he's almost my age and that's just nutty.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"It's a hobby. If you aren't having fun, pack it up."

That's awesome. If anybody has ever ridden with GFF off road, you understand. He rides like there is no tomorrow.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
uncles 70 ish xs 650 should be coming home this week...after 40 something years of sitting...

may ride it around brothers backyard...
I had a bobbed XS years ago, was fun to rip on, bought it in 4 boxes of parts, $1200 later it was super sweet hardtail.

I had a 2002 Dyna 4 years ago, stepped up to the RoadKing 3 years ago and will never go back. Big couch bike FTW!!!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I love anything with 2 wheels and a handlebar! @dump you got anymore pics of your uncle’s chopper? That thing’s a beauty!
I have a handful...

- The concept was Steam Punk crossed with Steam Roller. It's a playful build. He took it from a conventional mid 90s sporster, to this. Doing all the fab, paint and otherwise save for the seat and handlebars. The fork he widened and took some doing iirc.
- Quote on the frame below the seat references Ray Bradbury, "Something wicket this way comes".
- You'll notice we're missing a few pieces. Can't recall what he was working on when we stopped by...
- Keen eye will spot a shifter handle that's taken from a cold war era fighter plane, the rocket launch button actually does something as does the trigger ;)
- The faucet has a function.
- Really unique/fun concept.
- This was his second chopper and definitely more his personality.

nccycle-steam-rollr.jpg
nccycle-steam-rollr-2.jpg
nccycle-steam-rollr-3.jpg

His first project was a standard super macho chopper, called the Grim Reap'r. Similarly, he designed, fab'd, painted, etc this one too. Believe he sold it shortly after it was built. This was in the OCC days.
nccycle-grim-reapr.jpg

nccycle-grim-reapr-2.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cruising the Back 40 in the Gator is much more satisfying then the bike. Unless you have access to trails. Really not a point in owning one.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The article says the seat looks like an old chopper seat on backwards. :p

I realize these are design exercises and that they don't need to be practical, but still, you'll have all the ladies begging for rides on that thing and no way to accommodate.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The article says the seat looks like an old chopper seat on backwards. :p

I realize these are design exercises and that they don't need to be practical, but still, you'll have all the ladies begging for rides on that thing and no way to accommodate.

Not to mention it is nice to have a little ledge or some kind of support to stop your ass from sliding off of the back. That thing looks like a nightmare to be on for more than 30 minutes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
True dat. Like riding an mtb with a super slack seat angle. You're doing pull-ups your whole ride.

Not to mention that there's no room for a top case or even to strap on a duffel. There's that pesky practicality again...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Never got around to sewing on the million mile patch, pretty much got tired of the cosplay and the genre of retards over the last 15 years. I think sons of anarchy is to blame for the mass introduction of posers and D-bags. Used to be a fun gig rolling to all the events and shooting everything for the mags.

IMG_1093.jpg